Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I haven't played much or mastered in Expid the last few months so I'm gonna abuse it in the meantime. What list you rolling?

lol the random "your cards cannot be transformed" keeps getting people unexpectedly. One guy went to get Bastion of Dawn, but whoops Vision of Austerity doesn't work

Nosre fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just the one that shows up first on Eternal Warcry when you search expedition decks. I tweaked the market but that's about it, added Cirso's Choice vs aggro and Rain of Frogs vs control.

Yeah I forgot about the transform part in the mirror with Cirso's.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
4 Time Etchings (Set9 #42)
4 Alhed Ascending (Set1095 #4)
3 Equivocate (Set1003 #21)
4 Petition (Set4 #274)
4 Trail Maker (Set3 #65)
4 Auralian Merchant (Set4 #70)
4 Sling of the Chi (Set1097 #13)
4 Tocas, Waystone Harvester (Set6 #75)
3 Saber-Tooth Prideleader (Set1006 #7)
4 Sandstorm Titan (Set1 #99)
4 Ixtol, Champion of Grodov (Set1007 #4)
4 Worldbearer Behemoth (Set3 #87)
4 Grodov's Stranger (Set8 #54)
1 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
2 Time Symbol (Set9 #37)
1 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Seat of Impulse (Set0 #54)
4 Skycrag Cylix (Set9 #187)
4 Elysian Cylix (Set9 #196)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)
--------------MARKET---------------
1 Display of Instinct (Set5 #244)
1 Sodi's Spellshaper (Set7 #180)
1 Xenan Obelisk (Set1 #103)
1 Talir, Who Sees Beyond (Set1 #124)
1 Kairos, Grand Champion (Set7 #155

I like the way this had operated in throne for me so far. The real question with sling right now is if the one market is enough as opposed to running 4 main because it is SO GOOD in multiples. Love the Ixtols in this one for silly ramping.

The other guy who really stood out to me in the remaining cards was that 2/2 flier that gets +1/+1 for power beyond actual lands. In a world where Tocas has come back around and trail maker is highly playable, that guy seems like a very powerful bear for some decks. I remain very interested in GW aggro with that new minotaur, but gotta let the slinging settle down a bit first.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just hit master in expedition with Sling. Went about 28-7, give or take, to get through diamond. Toughest matchup is Beacon control, followed by the mirror match. All just comes down to the Transposes in those matches.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Beacon control so far has fulfilled my dream in Eternal, a card thats like Knucklebones but good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I way under estimated that card. When it goes off, it really goes off. Doesn't matter if it gives you trash units if there's an unlimited supply. Also part of why it's good I think is it runs the attachment removal suite to beat Sling.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

expid meta has shifted hard against Sling, so no surprise if it does get nerfed, but it's no walk in the park any more. Quite a few control decks preying on it, like one guy just absolutely destroyed me with some feln version with Battle at the Gates and even Stealth Strike. Never kept a 6 toughess creature on the board for a single turn and eventually he killed me with Champion

Meta actually seems pretty good with all these control decks, some aggro preying on them, and sling playing the role of combo in the triangle

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I dunno, I feel like the matchups in the meta are extremely unfun though. Just who sticks their relic wins. And you have the guessing game of do they have a Transpose that will completely wreck you if you try to play your relic removal.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I don't think Eternal will ever have interesting games for something like a sling mirror (or control/relic deck mirrors in general), since they've always been resistant to printing powerful counters and interaction compared to MTG.

In any slow vs slow matchup, it often comes down to whoever sticks a Tome/Helio/Scourge of Frostholm/Grodov's Burden/etc without the other guy having an answer

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

How is that much different than magic when it just comes down to who sticks their teferi/uro/omnath/whatever nonsense they print next year? Every card game ends up just coming down to who sticks their threat, combos off, or rushes first. Mtg just does more counters where eternal does more removal.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So one of the issues is Sling makes playing units actively bad for you. Just gives them targets for them to push through overwhelm damage. So you play unitless decks and your only stuff to interact with is relics. Relic interaction is not super fleshed out in the game because it's not meant to be the only form of interaction you have. The designers have active pushed against having unitless decks so the game really isn't designed to support that archtype.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nighthand posted:

How is that much different than magic when it just comes down to who sticks their teferi/uro/omnath/whatever nonsense they print next year? Every card game ends up just coming down to who sticks their threat, combos off, or rushes first. Mtg just does more counters where eternal does more removal.

Fair point, and I haven't played magic in forever, but I think Magic answers are far more varied and complicated - counterspells most obviously, since they barely even exist in Eternal, but even stuff like say (dating myself here) the Oblivion Rings, Cryptic Commands or Engineered Explosives of the magic world. Flexible answers that can create interesting lines of play are lacking in Eternal, and particularly in relic removal as bam noted.

So maybe my complaint is more about the interesting play of the answers rather than the 'whoever sticks something first wins' part. Though there is something to be said for deck size, which definitely makes luck more of a factor in drawing one of those key cards first.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah Sling is pissing me off pretty bad right now. :argh:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Goddamn sling is obnoxious but I'm playing Beacon and I actually feel bad for almost everyone I beat. For whatever reason people don't concede even if I'm at 18 life with 9 cards compared to their 2, probably because the threats I'm (very slowly) killing them with are random draft junk

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I have to thank Beacon for getting me the achievement for winning a game with the 6/6 weapon equipped from Last Stand at the Gates. You know, that spell that gives you 3 2/3 dudes and a 6/6 relic weapon but sets your hp to 1. And the less out there achievement for pulling a 5 cost unit with Doctor Zytrom.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
5 seems way the gently caress too high a threshold for Corpse Lunge, not gonna lie.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any preferred Beacon lists? I really don't want to play sling and am looking for a fun deck for this season.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

Any preferred Beacon lists? I really don't want to play sling and am looking for a fun deck for this season.
I'm quite interested in this as well, especially after failing to make a single good Knucklebones deck.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I was on this for expedition, but it was a struggle just finishing Gold I so it needs work if you want to advance with it

4 Defiance (Set5 #77)
4 From Anguish (Set9 #78)
4 Transpose (Set8 #89)
4 Beseech the Throne (Set9 #212)
4 Desert Alchemist (Set9 #46)
4 Petition (Set4 #274)
4 Send an Agent (Set1097 #17)
2 Beacon of the Reach (Set1097 #21)
4 Display of Knowledge (Set5 #233)
4 Display of Vision (Set5 #249)
4 Ancestral Oasis (Set8 #50)
4 Shen-Ra Speaks (Set7 #176)
2 Sorcerer's Wand (Set8 #199)
1 Massive Greatsword (Set9 #106)
3 Time Symbol (Set9 #37)
2 Justice Symbol (Set9 #73)
2 Cobalt Waystone (Set3 #151)
3 Shadow Symbol (Set9 #145)
2 Rakano Cylix (Set9 #184)
1 Skycrag Cylix (Set9 #187)
1 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)
4 Elysian Cylix (Set9 #196)
4 Xenan Cylix (Set9 #199)
4 Argenport Cylix (Set9 #205)
1 Burglarize (Set4 #224)
1 Cirso's Choice (Set4 #252)
1 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
1 Malediction (Set6 #208)
1 Silverblade Menace (Set1087 #10)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I would run a Broker in the market if you're facing a lot of control mirrors. So you can get 4x Silverblade. There's also that JPS display that can steal 3 cost relics if you need more Beacon/Sling/Shrine hate.

Not sure if they're available but Banish might be better than Send an Agent and one copy of Pit might be good. Also the power base could maybe use a slight tweak with a Praxis power of some kind and maybe a primal and fire symbol. It's nice having one of everything since you run Petition.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 9, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice, thanks!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Nice, thanks!

None of those cards I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph are in expedition. Whoops! I played some this morning, I think the Beacon deck is favored vs TJS control and Sling but has a really rough time with both aggro and that new FTS Shrine/Totemite deck. Also be careful with Broker. Only fetch him if you've got a ton of value in hand. Otherwise you mess up your draws too much. Generally, you only have time to Broker if you're playing against another control deck. Otherwise just grab a single copy of what you need.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm running a hodgepodge of this with another deck i found on Warcry. Not too successful so far but it's really fun when it gets going.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I don't think I saw a single Sling in expid today - lot of strangers and a smattering of mono-white, mono-black, the sacrifice deck, and the usual top-20 guys still grinding mono red for some reason (looking at you, Maneiro and AggroWins)

All my controlish decks are currently hated out, which sucked

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 11, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Control should be decent vs JTS strangers. And Sling should be pretty good against all the other decks you listed. It's kind of just rock paper scissoring right now.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

yea. Control seems good against strangers except they are running Burden in the board, and expid TJP has no good ways to deal with attachments right now in a 4-power market. All of the games ended with them drawing a bunch of cards and assembling a giant unit when I eventually ran out of sweepers.

You've got From Below, Swing the Sands, Confiscate, all of which would make the aggro matchups far worse if you maindeck them... maybe Formbend? That's the only one not mostly wasted against red

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ah I was thinking of TJS based control decks. Any particular reason you're going Primal?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Well, the shadow version is a completely different deck, since this one relies on Sorcerer's Wand, Transpose to protect all the relics, and a blue market.

Might be better, I don't know. Don't see any recent shadow-based slow ones on warcry.

There's this but I tried it and lost like 5 in a row because the power base is so unstable https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/d/yQJiRGonBy0/4-faction-unitless-top-20

newershadow
May 18, 2014
Hit expedition masters with my FPS Shrine deck that has been more or less unchanged for 3 months:

3 Combust (Set1 #392)
4 Kindling Carver (Set8 #4)
4 Menace Chant (Set8 #187)
4 Nesting Raven (Set8 #88)
3 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
4 Kato, Arena Herald (Set8 #7)
4 Mother of Skies (Set1087 #7)
4 Unfamiliar Interloper (Set8 #202)
4 Blight Pass Smuggler (Set6 #235)
4 Display of Menace (Set8 #188)
4 Mobilization (Set9 #126)
4 Shrine to Karvet (Set8 #155)
4 Strange Burglar (Set8 #156)
2 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
4 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
2 Cobalt Waystone (Set3 #151)
2 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
4 Skycrag Cylix (Set9 #187)
1 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
1 Stonescar Vow (Set9 #190)
2 Feln Vow (Set9 #208)
3 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)
1 Backlash (Set1 #200)
1 Display of Knowledge (Set5 #233)
1 Shadowlands Guide (Set1 #280)
1 Turn to Seed (Set1087 #8)
1 Edge of Uprising (Set1087 #14)

More of a write up on eternalwarcry here for some of the card choices.

I went 14-6 over my last 20 and it was performing above that in gold/low diamond; it’s just a strong deck against the field right now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Have you seen the FTS version that runs Cheering Section, Azurite Prixis, and Tota Circle? That one is real cute.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

bamhand posted:

Have you seen the FTS version that runs Cheering Section, Azurite Prixis, and Tota Circle? That one is real cute.

I ran into that a couple days ago while running TJS control. I only won because I stuck nightmare Rolant and they couldnt get rid of it. I got the achievement for winning a versus game by mill without running a mill deck, good times.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The meta apparently is now all 1 drops and rally/relentless pursuit.

Arcane Restraint and Rain of Frogs has been pretty good in Sling vs control. My opponent's entire hand was just clogged with troves and display can't kill the restraint.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Today I learned you can transform cards from Beacon and they will still keep the value train going.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Neat. Someone asked about that in pojos stream the other night and he figured that would be the case but wasn't sure.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

yea plunder is super important in that deck because you can turn uncastable ones into power to keep going

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Uuuugh. Losing to bad decks it he worst. Like a Sling deck that plays Auralian Supplier and only 4 cost units and above.

It's back in the throne days when you play against the most aggro of Rakano decks and suddenly Harsh Rule.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Love to reach 98/100 Gold I multiple times a week and end up 69/100 (not nice :mad:) Gold II again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you going 1-3 to lose that many points? Don't you get twice as many points on a win than a loss in gold?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The tilted salty runback is real sometimes and it's hard to know when to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Finally broke into D3 in Throne, still stuck at 25/100 G1 for Expedition though.