Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the meta's stabilised, and it's unchanged Rakano Plate and Big Combrei, and sometimes big combrei but with a couple of overpowered argentport cards, yaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I can't see much really changing, a lot of the new factions are really momentum-based so 'play big dudes on curve' is going to stop them in their tracks, and there's not much that stops rakano fast enough. Argentport and Xenan might be ok since shadow removal is great against combrei and have blockers/healing against aggro but their numbers are just smaller, which is a massive factor.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's not hearthstone style.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That shadow slug thing is probably the strangest card of the set but it carried my draft. Just wait for flight school to come back and he'll have his time in the sun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think there's any matchmaking in this event, you just go up against anyone at all. It's definitely a good idea to try the event if you want packs. I got 6-3 with unoptomised skycraggro so if you've got a consistent enough deck, you'll make a killing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd go 2/2 with death strikes and feeding times and see whatever you prefer.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Carpet shuffle lives on.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Drunk Theory posted:

Edit: Original post was not interesting.

Anyone using Pearlescent Drake in anything? I've got like three now and am trying to think of a deck type that would support that unit.

It is one of those really good cards that doesn't fit neatly anywhere right now. Skycraggro uses soulfire drake because it's a bit faster and Hooru fliers hasn't got off the ground yet. Elysian decks could fit it instead of Cirso if they wanted, and I feel like there's a feln midrange possible with that guy and Torgov around (someone with midnight gale try this). It's a good card and lets primal deal with Titan, but you need a deck that can hit the spark.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
7 drops are mostly underpowered, there's more 4/5 drops that gently caress it up, like titan, makto and Umbren Reaper. The only other good 7+ legendaries are vodakhan and shimmerpack and they need a whole deck to support them.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wait, do the power surge changes mean you can get a conduit out via memory dredger?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Drunk Theory posted:

Yes. Conduit costs 2 now. So it's a valid target for the Dredge. And Haunting Scream as well (for whatever reason you would do that)

That said, anyone want to brainstorm replacements for Conduit in a Xenan Killers deck. Kinda less than impressive in killers when it doesn't bring back the Dawnwalker. Maybe a Snapping Brushstalker?

Conduit's going to be ridiculous in a killers deck now, you want to be tweaking the deck for a higher curve if anything. It doesn't bring back the dawnwalker on it's first go, but it's going to get dirty with killer on it as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Azindel's gift is loving nasty in this. Nobody has attachment removal and tend to have giant hands.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's an event deck, it doesn't need fixing since there's the extra draw and there's no chalice.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Run some fliers, they don't have much that can deal with them aside from desert marshals and harsh rule. Haven't had a problem with them running feln. This is a deck I've been brewing and it has a pretty good matchup, maybe you can do a better version.

quote:

4 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
4 Argenport Instigator (Set1 #268)
2 Feln Stranger (Set1 #409)
2 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
1 Cat Burglar (Set2 #148)
2 Extract (Set2 #155)
4 Feln Bloodcaster (Set1 #386)
3 Midnight Gale (Set1 #378)
2 Trickster's Cloak (Set1 #369)
3 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
3 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
4 Impending Doom (Set1 #286)
2 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
4 Torgov, Icecap Trader (Set2 #126)
2 Champion of Cunning (Set1 #371)
8 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
9 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

Shatterglass Mage is their worst nightmare as well, roll with praxis and go with 4 of them if you want something more reliable.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 27, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget to manually claim your awards for the event by going to the Event tab before it disappears. it's done that way for some reason.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Feln aggro is a bunch of cheap fliers and removal, with some big-numbers stuff like instigator and beastcaller's amulet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's stonescar, feln's primal/shadow

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

eSporks posted:

I took a decent hiatus from this game, but I'm coming back to it. Looking for a couple deck suggestions. I'm a huge fan of combo, but not A+B combo, the type where the entire deck works an engine. Think storm in MTG, I also played some carpet shuffle in ECG. I'm also a big fan of tempo, but it doesn't look like eternal really has a true tempo deck going yet. Control is also cool, but I prefer to play in the hand vs on the board.

Chalice decks look cool, but what else is out there? I'd love to play a deck with 0 creatures.

EDIT: Oh, I'm also a huge fan of grindy symmetrical effects, like POX in mtg, but I don't think eternal really has any of that. Basically, I think I hate curving out, and I like giant decision trees.

Combo stuff is pretty weak in eternal and there's not much that's low on minions. Your best bet is probably one of those haunting scream decks that splashes green for paladin oathbooks to go with reoccurring Nightmare and more removal. Carpet Shuffle sucks and hasn't got anything from the new set unfortunately.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
yeah, didn't you play the campaign for a few Eternal Funbucks?

I think it's basically
1. The King gets attacked by the Strangers and does magic poo poo with the throne that kills him, a radiant guy does evil vizier stuff
2. Because the king slept around a lot there's 5 people with a claim to being the next ruler of the freaky magical seat
3. None of these guys interact with each other
4. there's a rebellion against Justice by Rakano and King Justice blows up his city, starts turning evil?
5. Shadow Lady runs into a mysterious dude called Azindel, who's tied to a cult that's doing spooky mystery stuff, maybe with the radiants. she starts losing her memory because of azindel's gift, idk if she dealt with that
6. Fire guy wanders the world asking people who his mum is and not really getting an answer, starts hanging around mountain tribes.
7. Time Wizard tries to figure out what the deal is with strangers, doesn't
8. Ice lady does something with giant superintelligent Owls and ninjas, I don't know

Fantasy Western stuff is still cool to me at least, that hasn't worn out yet.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I wish I had an MTG translator.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The new Minotaur guy enables Argentport Means to An End Control

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

goferchan posted:

I’m excited to watch the first person pull it off and then discard the final cards with his effect instead of via lifegain and then die from decking themselves

goferchan posted:

I’m excited to watch the first person pull it off and then discard the final cards with his effect instead of via lifegain and then die from decking themselves

It does need some better artefact fishing. Bartholo's ultimate could actually be relevant but something that takes relics from the void would be handy.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Skycraggro is good against chalice, as long as you keep an eye out for possible counterspells.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Turtlicious posted:

What's the quickes way to grind out like 18k gold? I've got 7k but I wanna do the expansion.

Gauntlet, using an aggressive and consistent deck with a few combat tricks. Earns you 750 gold in a successful run, not counting upgrades, and each takes about maybe 10 minutes. If you just stop spending gold for a while though it'll get there soon enough.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah Bonepicker is weird (great in draft tho) -- I cant really see what the Shadow influence is there for

I think it's just a mana sink for xenan in draft. the Dino thing is just for flavour.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I just realized you can play an Adaptive Predator, and then cast Predator's Instinct or Xenan Initiation to give it Killer to let it immediately kill something and almost certainly get another battle skill. And then you can cast Mirror Image to get a copy with all of its keywords, including Killer, thus letting you immediately eat another unit and get another battle skill. And if your opponent has a Deadly unit, like, say, a 3/7 Lumen Defender, you can use Dragonbreath to safely kill it (and this works with Overwhelm for yet another random skill). Is there an actual competitive deck in this? I mean, obviously not, but could I at least make it something that I can use to have some fun when I have to do stupid Time/Primal daily quests? I'd probably have to blow 7200 shiftstone to complete my set of Sandstorm Titans, huh.

It would be good but it’s too late game for that sort of snowballly thing. Decks centered around synergies with a single unit tend to have a fairly cheap thing, like Hero of the People. With Adaptive Predator you’re holding onto a card and all the payoff ones for ages, and Elysian isn’t great for control aside from chalice stuff so you get rolled over by midrange decks. It’s a cool draft card but not much else.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Initiates of the sand, purify and that echo dinosaur.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Knorth posted:

Ooh a bunch of things became Sentinels, I wonder if that's going to be a thing too

Hopefully, that might be enough to push spell-based praxis.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it just me, or is the free time/primal deck they give you as a theme deck really, really terrible?

Those tend to be pretty weak, yeah.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Go with Skycrag champ for now, they get good burn and fliers which every draft loves, and it’ll be easy to pick up a third colour in the even packs if you really need to.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ZiegeDame posted:

Yeah, that's the stuff. Highlight of the deck so far: playing a long game against Feln Control, making their Vara cost 32 power.

Slow is pretty sweet just by virtue of showing you their entire hand, too.

It does suck when you slow someone and see they have 3 harsh rules

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think you represent some commander or whatever, there’s nothing consistent or explicit aside from the campaigns where you’re one of the heirs, some buddy of Jekk and Horus Traver.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
As much as lore is often a wank, I would rock a d&d campaign set in eternal land. Being an armoured knight/cowboy with a revolver or a Giant Superintelligent Owl would be fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I tried casual to test my tavrod/means to an end deck and mostly ran into really new players, it’s not super useful for finding unusual decks since those are mostly in Masters.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Decks I'm poking around with

Praxis Spells/Ramp (need a name)

quote:

3 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Slow (Set1 #70)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
2 Find the Way (Set1 #513)
3 Flame Blast (Set1 #2)
2 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
2 Piercing Shot (Set1 #25)
2 Purify (Set2 #176)
4 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
2 Champion of Impulse (Set2 #173)
2 Kindle (Set1002 #2)
4 Secret Pages (Set1 #81)
2 Ancient Lore (Set1 #105)
2 Crimson Firemaw (Set1002 #3)
2 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
2 Shatterglass Mage (Set2 #181)
3 Heart of the Vault (Set2 #183)
3 Moment of Creation (Set2 #185)
2 Sandglass Sentinel (Set2 #184)
10 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
9 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Praxis Banner (Set2 #171)
4 Seat of Impulse (Set0 #54)

I'm still playing around a lot with it, especially the mana fetching/ramp and the burn, but it's a pretty fun deck that uses a lot of unorthodox cards, like kindle and sandglass sentinel, which can be really absurd. It's got the standard flaws you'd expect, you can't deal with midrange fatties outside of Slow, Teleport, or using big spells you need to fuel the sentinels or blast face. Sometimes you can race them with burn or getting a good moment of creation going to block them. There's not much you can do about that, unfortunately, but I think set 3 is going to be good for it.

quote:

Argentport Means to an End

3 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Protect (Set1 #132)
3 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Piercing Grief (Set2 #143)
3 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
3 Extract (Set2 #155)
4 Means to an End (Set2 #154)
3 Privilege of Rank (Set1 #157)
3 Scheme (Set1 #213)
2 Slay (Set2 #236)
2 Auric Runehammer (Set1 #166)
2 Bartholo, the Seducer (Set2 #234)
2 Copperhall Paladin (Set1002 #7)
4 Stonepowder Alchemist (Set2 #239)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
4 Tavrod, Auric Broker (Set1002 #18)
1 Azindel's Gift (Set1 #306)
9 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
8 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Argenport Banner (Set2 #231)
4 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)

Exactly what it says on the tin. Not really very good but whatever, it needs more healing and should probably be a xenan thing. I'll figure it out at some point but it's on the backburner

Skycrag gently caress You

quote:

4 Light the Fuse (Set1 #6)
2 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
2 Herald's Song (Set1 #196)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
3 Rockslide (Set2 #189)
3 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
4 Polymorph (Set1 #211)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
2 Rain of Frogs (Set1 #221)
4 Unexpected Results (Set1002 #19)
2 Elysian Trailblazer (Set1 #228)
2 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
2 West-Wind Herald (Set1 #231)
2 Knucklebones (Set2 #197)
2 Channel the Tempest (Set1 #244)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
9 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
4 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)

This is a dumb meme deck that is kinda funny and completely wrecks chalice but dies against everyone else unless your firebombs go off. It needs more actual burn or spells matter stuff and I never get much out of the 3 mana one fire gets.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MerrMan posted:

Do you guys hang on to your bad Legendaries? I just opened Light the Fuse which was... is this card as bad as it looks? Grinding up a legendary for my choice of a Rare sounds like kind of a bad deal, but I can't imagine ever putting this thing in a deck.

theres a lot of bad legendaries but the game's generous enough that you can save them for making stupid fun decks. Trash it if there's something you want but you don't need to make a habit of it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I want to try it in shimmerpack, it can manage the price and it helps out the tokens a bit. The deck’s pretty tight as is.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A 6 mana 7/7 flier is pretty scary and time/primal is very good at fishing for influence. The ultimate's not going to come off super easily though, it really depends how the setup for this guy goes and what ramp stuff they add.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
trying to brew a xenan tokens deck is an exercise in frustration because it gives you options of a lot of cards that are almost good, like whispers in the void, colony matron, Tesya, Praxis Vault, stuff like that. Gotta kill my darlings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Shabadu posted:

It used to be 7 mana and was the most dominant deck at the time. Set 2 gave it a bunch of tools that nobody really settled on since it was already and incredibly tight list.

I still play some shimmerpack from time to time, it's a cool deck but you struggle against all the beefy midrange stuff that pops up, especially the ones with endurance.