Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Koirhor posted:

That MTG Arena looked alot like Eternal to me, makes me wonder with LSV working for both companies

He has 0 input to the interface design in both companies though so that's a weird thing to wonder about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Earlier in a draft I cast Sandstorm (normally I wouldn't run it but I had a bad draft and it cantrips...), and it grounded my opponent's Aegis flyer rather than breaking the Aegis. Is this right? I could have blown them out if I had known, but I was just cycling it EOT because I thought the effect would be blocked.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ledgem posted:

I swear I'm cursed with trying to play aggro. Or at least stonescar. Once in a blue moon I get an actual curve and usually they concede but those are the only times I ever seem to win. When I try to use it to climb I gain negative rank with how many games where I just get no creatures until turn 4 or the mulligan just laughs at me and gives me as much mana and as few minions as possible every time. I just don't get it.

I'm playing mostly Skycrag and it happens sometimes. The game has a lot of variance, especially when you play with or against aggro. I built Chalice to play when I get frustrated with a losing streak. It mixes up the play style, too, so that's nice, and the games go longer so even if you go on a losing streak with it (which also can happen, of course), you don't lose as much rank in as much time. That does require you to both enjoy playing aggro and grindy control, though, plus have enough shiftstone to build both. I guess I'd just suggest that you try mixing things up a bit, it will be less frustrating when you're on the wrong side of variance for a while.

I just had my Elysian Midrange opponent decide to killer down my last unit rather than just kill me (they had exactly lethal if they just attacked, and I had no hand), then I topdecked an Obliterate for the win and was immediately hit with the "well played" by my opponent. I was not prepared for that, I just burst out laughing. Never concede, I guess.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

How do you find Wisdom of the Elders in that deck? I 7-0'd with this version:

4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Snowcrust Yeti (Set2 #105)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Champion of Fury (Set2 #187)
2 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
3 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
4 Rakano Outlaw (Set1 #20)
3 Rockslide (Set2 #189)
4 Cinder Yeti (Set1002 #1)
2 Shogun's Scepter (Set1 #26)
3 Vadius, Clan Father (Set2 #191)
2 Crimson Firemaw (Set1002 #3)
3 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
9 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
4 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
2 Cobalt Monument (Set1 #418)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
4 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)
2 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)

I'm cutting a Katana for another Firemaw. I like Firemaw, costing 4 rather than 5 for the Drake is a big deal, I think. Surviving a torch matters sometimes too. I've been wondering what to do for the Kaleb's Favor/Ornate Katana slots, they feel a bit too low impact, so maybe I'll try Wisdom of the Elders. I don't really like Polymorph in this deck since it leaves behind a blocker for all of the 2/1s. I should go back up to 4 Vadius, though (probably cut a Cinder Yeti).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

did pretty well in the event, ranked 51st after three entries, I hope I stay sub 100. :)

edit: Hmm, already fell to 53rd. :(

I was 17th last night, now I’m 45th :/. Hopefully most people finish their 3 runs today and the rankings shift more slowly tomorrow. Oh well, I still did way better than I ever expected to :).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Holy moly, legendary Crownroach is incredible for this event. The extra 6 life is so, so unfair when you have the absolute best late game out of any deck. I just played Dark Return on a Black Sky Harbinger that already had echo and destiny, with 4 Crowns in play. So ridiculous.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, that's not even remotely fair.

It’s not unfair until it has echo and destiny on top of all of that.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

victrix posted:

Polymorph

Yah, you run Polymorph to deal with them because you have nothing better, but it's actually a horrible card in Skycraggro because you have a bunch of 2/1s that they can still trade with. SST never really bothered me too much, it's a pretty big wall against aggro decks, but there aren't that many decks that run both SST and a sweeper, so aggro can usually just go wide and burn them out. I find Tavrod a lot more annoying since it can grind out controlling decks, while posing the same powerful defensive threat against aggro, in a faction that can (and does) run Harsh Rule. The cards around it aren't as powerful or consistent as the cards around SST though, which is why I think you find SST decks performing better at the top level. Argenport (with or without fire) seems to have to round out their deck with quite suboptimal, or inconsistent cards, while Praxis and Xenan, for example, are fully rounded out decks where all of the cards feel solid. If set 3 brings one or two powerful 2 drops in Argenport that support a Tavrod deck's gameplan, then I would expect it to be easy #1 on the ladder, and you'd see at least as many Tavrods as SSTs at the top of tournaments. Right now, the deck needs some lucky draws to function well, if it doesn't stick a Tavrod and get to attack with it once or twice.

A toooon of people are playing it on ladder anyway, though, which is why I really like Xenan. It's one of the best decks positioned against Auric Runehammer, has multiple ways to take down a Tavrod, and Dawnwalkers are very strong against Harsh Rule. It doesn't seem to have a particular weakness to other popular decks, either. If you could build a Tavrod deck that has the kind of consistency and synergy that SST decks have, it would be lights out for the metagame, imo.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Nosre posted:

thats what I'm talking about

I feel like there's a good amount of burnscar/aggro around as people push up after the reset, but the meta is going to be really mid-rangy quite soon. Crown good???

I think realistically there are too many Banishes flying around, and even midrange can Aggro you out if you stumble. It’s a lot of fun, but I’d be surprised if it ends up tier 1 or even tier 2 in the meta. It can probably get you to Diamond though, if you have some patience.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

Am I a bad person for how much fun I’m having running Chalice? Other than the feln control game where he stuck me with the relic that makes you discard your hand every turn, basically all my games have been pretty fun and I’ve got a decent record with it so far.

Chalice is both fun to play and fun to play against, so no you are not.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Umbra posted:

Lol, i've seen tons of chalice players bitterly complaining about having to play the mirror on reddit. Chalice is awful to play against even if you win, much like priest currently in hearthstone. In a good and just world, chalice players would only queue into other chalice players.......forever.

I’m not a huge fan of the mirror, but I enjoy playing against chalice if I’m not also playing chalice. I’m just really bad at control mirrors though. I don’t find winning against it to be awful, and losing to it is no worse than losing to any other deck :shrug:.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Losing to Burn Queen is over in a few minutes at most. Losing to Chalice can be like a 10+ minute slog especially if you're playing a control deck as well because you aren't necessarily out of it. Losing to jank is at least funny.

I don’t really care how quickly my games end though. I guess if you specifically want to play a certain number of games per hour I can understand not liking to play against chalice.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

goldjas posted:

I found Master in Gauntlet to be kind of a bitch to get even with a real good deck, because a lot of the final rounds can just destroy you with their gimmicks. So I'd almost say to get Diamond in Gauntlet then get Master in Forge, and if your like really bored and are completely out of money to draft/forge with, then maybe consider grinding out the final Gauntlet mastery.

You can beat master gauntlet pretty easily with a budget Aggro deck. You have to get a bit lucky, especially with the boss, but it goes quickly enough that you can just try again if you lose. When I was ranking them up, I just did forges whenever I had the gold, and then gauntlets when I ran out. It’s kind of silly to worry about which one to do first.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I was really excited for Trail Stories, because I thought Sand Warrior was the only 0 drop unit, but it turns out that the 1/1 frog that Polymorph and Rain of Frogs create is 0 as well :(. Might still be a good card for this event, though. I'll probably try a low to the ground Skycrag deck that runs some card filtering/draw and burn spells.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Every player you play against will have multiple one casting cost spells, and if you play a Pyroknight and your opponent plays a Seek Power or Levitate and gets a Young Gun they will be extremely happy to trade their crappy 1/1 that drew them a power for your crappy 2/1 that didn't. If you lead with Seek Power, and your opponent also leads with Seek Power, when you inevitably trade your crappy creatures away at least you didn't get completely owned.

Yah I can't imagine playing non-spells in this event will turn out to be the right way to go.

goferchan posted:

Non-collectible cards like Frog won't get summoned if the rules work like the Gauntlet boss or Unstable Form. Trail Stories should indeed guarantee a Sand Warrior, stay excited.

edit: also it's funny that guaranteeing a 3/3 for 0 power is way better than just about anything you'll get from a 1-cost spell. Better play Trail Stories on your Torches or you'll get real sick of Cliffside Porters

Yessssssssss.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Woo, just hit Master with this Skycraggro list:

4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
3 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
4 Rakano Outlaw (Set1 #20)
4 Rockslide (Set2 #189)
4 Cloudsnake Harrier (Set2 #114)
4 Vadius, Clan Father (Set2 #191)
3 Mortar (Set2 #194)
4 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
1 Cobalt Monument (Set1 #418)
4 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)

I really like being this heavy on the burn right now. The lack of Polymorph doesn’t matter much when you can just chump attack into their huge endurance unit to bring them into range of 3 burn spells or whatever. Plus, Mortars mean that you 2 power guys can help take down an SST if you need it. In that sense, Mortar pretty successfully plays the role of a Polymorph that can go to the dome, which is great.

The Kaleb’s Favors were 2 Ornate Katanas and a 4th Mortar for most of my Diamond 2 and 1 run. I think the favors are better in this build, although in general I do like the Katana a lot. You could maybe cut one or two of either the Favors, Rockslides, or Mortars for a Steelfang Chakram or two. If you take out more burn spells than that, the Harriers start to become questionable though. Chakrams would help in grindy matchups where they can gain life, or stay out of burn range with sweepers. I don’t think you need them against opponents that rely on Harsh Rule plus expensive 1-for-1s, like Argenport Midrange. I didn’t play much against chalice, but without chakrams, I’m pretty sure the right strategy is to dump your hand as fast as you can and pray that it’s enough. You can definitely get them, but unless you think you can hit 7 power for Vadius, you can’t handle their life gain after turn 6 or so. I’m pretty sure you will lose most games where you play around a Harsh Rule, whether they have it or not.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

It can work when you force them to Rule on 5 and the unit(s) you held back have charge - champ of fury, soulfire drake. (I know the latter isn't in your list but it's a good craggro finisher.)

Speaking of your list I just gave it a spin for fun and went 7-0 without difficulty. Congrats on hitting masters!

Yah, most Skycraggro builds can definitely play around Harsh Rule. A lot of draws with my build don't want to, though, since you can very realistically burn them out from around 10 life. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I had more success, against chalice specifically, just hoping they didn't have the Harsh Rule than trying to play around it. Against non-chalice, Harsh Rule decks, it's a very draw dependent decision.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Awesome! posted:

can someone explain the lightning storm withering witch interaction to me

If you play lightning storm, then withering witch, your opponent’s creatures will all be 1 health with 2 damage and die. That way your witch lives, unlike if you play it first. With this new card (-2/-2 to all units) that doesn’t work, since it’s not damage, but two different health-modifying effects. You have to play the witch first.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bumper Stickup posted:

Better or worse than Levitate?

Worse by far imo. Still, I could imagine a few percent of Primal draft decks wanting 1 copy in there.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It's an interesting card. I think it should be better than Second Sight in decks that don't have top-of-the-deck shenanigans like Crownroach. I guess a better question is whether or not decks that run Wisdom of the Elders want some copies of this (either in addition to, or replacing the Wisdoms), since the only decks that actually run Second Sight exploit drawing a card multiple times in some way. I think it's definitely worth trying out in Chalice, Feln and Eysian Midrange decks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Nosre posted:

I'm not sure exactly how it chooses the order, but no. Stuff will be piled together in 4-ofs unless it has a modifier (like a unit/weapon that got warcries will be separate from the ones without), which is definitely not deck order

I'm also curious about that, though, do tutors (or anything else) shuffle the deck?

Nothing shuffles the deck as far as I know.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If magic has taught me anything, every card with bond is going to be way better than it looks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The event pays out in Dusk Road packs (although you can't open them until the set comes out), so that's cool. Also, I guess you will play with a 79 card deck if I'm understanding how it works correctly?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Those power cards are cool. Making seats worse is a real downside, but I could see running some of those, especially primal or shadow. Assuming Nightfall decks become a thing, anyway, which at first glance, seems pretty likely to me.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I had a free day, so I played out my 5 runs of the preview event. First run I brewed my own Hooru Unseen deck. I went 0-3. It felt like a terrible deck, but of course it turns out the concept is fine. I'm sure I made some poor card choices and had a bit of bad luck. Switched to Elysian Dinosaurs, and went 6-3, 7-1,7-2, 6-3 with this:

4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Evelina, Valley Searcher (Set2 #48)
4 Sauropod Wrangler (Set1 #83)
4 Xenan Initiation (Set2 #44)
4 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
4 Avirax Familiar (Set2 #46)
2 Dilphex Stalker (Set1002 #5)
4 Pteriax Hatchling (Set1 #354)
4 Avisaur Patriarch (Set1001 #13)
4 Sandstorm Titan (Set1 #99)
4 Twinbrood Sauropod (Set1 #113)
4 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
6 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
3 Amber Monument (Set1 #420)
4 Elysian Banner (Set1 #421)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)

Dropping turn 3 SSTs into a couple of Sauropods was great, but the best were games where I practically comboed off between Sauropod Wrangler, Avisaur Patriarch and Evelina. Flooding the board with 0 cost 5/4 Hatchlings was definitely a new experience. Wish I had started here in the first place, I'd probably finish top 100 :). Right now I'm at 32nd, but I'm guessing I'll end up between 100-500 by the end of the event.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I think Feln has the tools to make the card work, either by controlling the board or by making it unblockable.

What playable from card makes things unblockable?

I don’t don’t think this guy will end up seeing play. Aegis is the only reason he’s got a shot, but he has to reliably attack at least twice to be worth it, and even then he’s probably worse than swindle without a 3rd attack. At least with an unsparked swindle you get your two cards immediately.

Feln usually can’t control the board forever, and generally relies on it’s 5+ power unit drops to dominate the opponent’s board, which this obviously doesn’t do.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Drunk Theory posted:

Twinbrood Sauropod I'd guess. Or Champ of Progress for a 4 drop with explorer interactions

You should be running a set of twinbroods already. The answer kind of depends on the exact build, but you can’t go wrong with just jamming more dinos. Preferably ones that will cost 3 power, or do something about flying units. My build (posted above somewhere) could run Nesting Aviasaur over SST for example. Champ of Progress is probably fine, but it gets going too late to really work imo. I usually had my opponent dead before reaching 4 influence in either faction.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

goferchan posted:

Big props to the guy in this event who used combustion engine & kindle to ramp into Knucklebones on like turn 3. Sadly it transformed most of the power cards in his deck and he never made it past 5 power the whole game and sat with a full hand discarding cards

Yah, ironically, Knucklebones would be way more powerful if it didn't convert power cards. Even if you don't ramp into it, 7 or 8 power isn't always enough to keep up with your opponent despite the card draw.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Please don't tell newbies to play chalice, that's not nice to them or anyone else

Chalice was like the second deck I built, it's awesome.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Roluth posted:

Another example of really hard new decks: One that has 3-4 Call of the Ancients (or something) that adds 4 6/6 Aegis, Endurance units to their deck and has a whole lot of card draw and power tutoring along with silencing and delaying cards to get them out. Basically impossible to counter with a beginner deck. And this was in BRONZE Gauntlet. A deck with 4 Legendary cards in BRONZE. They totally got way out of hand with the new decks, and it's a gamble on how far I get before I get splatted by one of the new decks.

Are you a new player? I thought the gauntlet stays hard for old players ( the difficulty is tied to your overall gauntlet record, not the league you are in as far as I know), but starts easy for new players.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

STiL. posted:

There is a 99% chance that just crafting Bandit Queens instead of those silly legendaries will give you a better deck.

I feel like a pretty standard burn queen, using a couple of the new grenadin might be good. It's hard for a decently built burn queen deck to be actually bad, you can get so many free wins just by jamming your opening hand in under their Harsh Rule. So, yah, crafting Bandit Queens early is good advice, it's what I did when I started, also.

I've been rocking Feln Control for most of this season. It's quite a contrast to Skycraggro which I got to masters with in November. I really got tired of playing a deck that was so reliant on the opening hand. I'm at Diamond 1, so hopefully I have time to push to Masters with it still. By the way, I'm curious how much people who hit masters consistently tend to play? I pretty much never have time to actually hit my 9 wins in a day (after which the rewards drop a bit). I'm pretty sure I average around 10 ranked games a day in a given season. It does feel like a skilled player should have no trouble hitting Masters with that amount of play, though.

Here's where I'm at for Feln post-Dusk Road:

2 Family Charter (Set3 #280)
2 Sabotage (Set1 #252)
2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
1 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Strategize (Set3 #165)
4 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
3 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Devastating Setback (Set3 #226)
1 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
4 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
4 Champion of Cunning (Set1 #371)
1 Jotun Feast-Caller (Set3 #187)
3 Black-Sky Harbinger (Set1 #385)
2 Azindel's Gift (Set1 #306)
2 Vara, Fate-Touched (Set1 #307)
4 Cobalt Waystone (Set3 #151)
7 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Crest of Cunning (Set3 #267)
3 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
3 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

I went to 3/3 banner and seat because the crests are always depleted, I wanted to make sure I had a decent number of guaranteed non-depleted power. I'm not sure that it's actually necessary to drop numbers on those, though. With all of the scouting plus the strategizes, I cut one power-seeking card (an Eilyn's Favor, since the waystone can give me Aegis).

I need to craft a couple more feast-callers to really be able to test them out (just having one doesn't give you enough information quickly enough, imo). I only played it once so far. My opponent used a useless lightning storm to break the Aegis and then permafrosted it. I'm guessing there will be some tension, going forward, between Feast-Caller, if it turns out to be good enough to run, and Vara. They don't play well with each other, but maybe they don't need to.

Having access to Family Charter and Strategize, as well as the Crests makes a huuuuge difference to consistency, though. I think even if Feast-Caller does end up being adopted as standard, it's all the scout and smoothing stuff that's the real gain for Feln, and I do think it's a really big deal. I can see Family Charter getting cut, but Strategize and the Crest are easy 4-ofs IMO. Right now I'm running the charter as a replacement of Swindle, which I had as a 2-of. I also cut the Witches and one Black-Sky Harbinger. I'm not sure about the harbinger, but I've never really like the Witch. It does make the deck slightly more vulnerable to the opponent topdecking a few 3+ toughness units in the late game, and makes lightning storm even more useless against non-aggro decks, but Devastating Setback mitigates that a bit by having an effect on the board even when it doesn't kill stuff. Having the two setbacks means that I might be able to cut a lightning storm, but storm is so good against the aggro decks that I'm a bit hesitant to do that. I do think I need to spend a bit of time thinking about my removal suite.

Going forward, I'm going to try a couple more Feast-Callers when I can afford to craft them. I'm not sure what I'll cut yet. One thing to consider is that if Feast-Callers end up being good enough, it might be right to switch to a shell that's better at giving them more attacks. That would probably mean adding Justice for Harsh Rule and Slay, and cutting some stuff like the Varas and Champions. You probably give up card power in the late game in exchange for card quantity in that case (I don't know if you can match the late game power of Champion + Vara if you are running JPS), so I'm not even sure that it would be a better shell.

I did lose a few games trying out an Unseen Night deck. Rindra and Zelia are actually pretty insane, so I don't feel bad having used up pretty much all my shiftstone crafting them right away. The rest of the deck doesn't quite feel there, though. Rindra needs the night support, and Zelia needs the unseen support to be really effective, so for now I'll probably just wait and see if someone else manages to find a home for them. I really want Zelia to be good in Feln, but I think it just gives my opponent a non-Aegis target for all of the removal they have stuck in their hand. Feln really wants to get a two-for-one with each of its units, they're too much of an investment to just die to a single removal spell, and it's not realistic to rely on Zelia coming down and immediately taking out or crippling a unit without bond synergies.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 21, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: that sounded kind of snarky, I think. I’m being sincere, I love learning about corner case interactions in games.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

goferchan posted:

switched to Bandit Queen (with Vicious Highwayman) for the first time since Set 3 to push to Masters -- just made it and I won 16 out of the last 20 games in my match history; that deck is still really strong. I'm surprised how little I've seen it on ladder in generall honestly , I guess people just want to play with the new cards since that deck runs very few (fire waystones & Highwayman in my case)

Can you post a list? I’m at D1 74/100 and am getting kind of bored of Feln control.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Skycraggro can get wins on ranked without any legendaries at all, I would bet you could hit gold pretty easily. You can definitely do even better if you spend shiftstone optimizing it as you go. I hit Diamond 1 during my first month by starting with legendary-less Skycraggro and filling it in as I played. I don't think that deck has gotten any more expensive with set 3, either.

I'm not exactly sure what the current build looks like, but this one on eternalwarcry is probably a good starting point. I'd cut the alpine trackers as well as the legendaries if you can't afford them yet. Good cards to add are Mortar, Morningstar, Cloudsnake Harrier, Daring Pioneer, Fearless Yeti, Steelfang Chakram, more Ornate Katanas, Kaleb's Favor, Crimson Firemaw. If you go heavier on attachments, I'd not run the Harriers. Earlier this season (or maybe last season, I can't remember) I really liked a burn heavy build with Harriers, but that didn't seem to work quite as well now. Keep an eye on your curve and lean low. If you do go this route, feel free to post the build you end up with and I'm sure people will be happy to give advice.

EDIT: Champion of Fury is the most important rare in the deck, and you can replace the Pyroknights with Grenadin Drones to begin with, but I'd craft them pretty quickly too. Drones are better against other aggro decks, but way worse against everything else, and you already have a good anti-aggro tool in Rockslide. I wouldn't bother with the crests unless you already have them, and I'd run a couple of red Waystones over the Monument and a fire sigil from the build that I posted. Maybe even max out on red Waystones, I'm not sure.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 29, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

the game is still really free-to-play guys

like, even if you open absolute garbage you still get 338 stone per pack. it's 10 packs for the legendary of your choice, and you get a pack and a half/day just for your first win and knocking out a quest - or even two and a half if it was a gold quest. or even more if you count the coins from your wins or you roll that 1/10 to upgrade a silver chest to gold.

it's really easy to craft multiple playsets of legendaries a month. where the game starts costing money is if you want to draft multiple times a day.

Or if you want to play a real deck your first month.

I think there's a bit of a communication issue between people saying that the game is generous free-to-play, and people interpreting that as being able to play whatever you want almost immediately. That's not realistic, of course, but the enthusiasm that some people show about how generous the game is, is pretty misleading a lot of the time. You definitely need to put either time or money into the game if you want to have a choice of competitive decks. Which is fine, obviously.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I don't know how you can read people saying the f2p model is generous compared to its competitors and draw the conclusion that you can build literally every deck without playing lots of games. Eternal is very generous in that you can play through the introductory stuff and build a competitive deck for Ranked without spending anything. Play through your free Forges and Drafts, play through all the puzzles, build a decent deck, bam you're ready to grind out the wins to build more decks.

I built and played actual Chalice in Ranked before I finished all the theme deck quests. Chalice is great. That Deadly Nightfall 2/1 is so much better than Temple Scribe and it really helps the power base to not need double Time early.

Eternal is the first f2p game I've ever played, so without context, I didn't know what "generous" meant. I never actually thought that I could just build anything, but it did take more time than I expected, and I can easily see others drawing the wrong conclusions, based on how people hype it up.

Chalice is awesome and powerful, but I'm always hesitant to suggest it since a lot of people don't enjoy playing it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pardot posted:

Thanks for this. I've been playing a bit to build up some cards, but haven't tried to ladder yet, and this seems good to try first. Here's what I landed on with crafting some of the uncommons, and the champion of fury and pyroknights.

Does anything seem particularly out of whack?

4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
3 Fearless Yeti (Set3 #161)
4 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
4 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
4 Rockslide (Set2 #189)
2 Cloudsnake Harrier (Set2 #114)
2 Shogun's Scepter (Set1 #26)
4 Crimson Firemaw (Set1002 #3)
2 Furnace Mage (Set1 #40)
1 Mortar (Set2 #194)
9 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
1 Granite Monument (Set1 #423)
8 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
3 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)

Yah that looks like a good place to start. I’d focus on crafting 3 Obliterates next, and then Vadius.

Depending on your style of play, you’re going to like either Ornate Katana or Kaleb’s Favor more. Replace the one you like less with the stuff you craft. That should also help you decide on a more burn or more attachment focused build going forward.

Figuring out how to best play around sweepers is one of the most important skills of this deck. My suggestion is to start out by just playing out everything and hoping they don’t have the Harsh Rule/Lightning storm and as you play more, figure out under what circumstances you don’t need to do that. Usually you can most afford to play around sweepers by holding your higher cost units like Crimson Firemaw, and can most afford to just jam everything onto the board when you have burn or charge units left in your hand. Snowcrust Yeti (and later Vadius) is a great hedge against sweepers, since you can develop your board without opening yourself too easily to having everything wiped at once.

Edit: rakano outlaw is a good unit, yah.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bouquet posted:

I’d cut the harriers unless you add more burn. My feeling is that you either play burn heavy and four harriers or unit/weapon heavy and zero harriers.

Long term I 100% agree. In the short term, it’s a 3 attack flyer that occasionally provides extra value. It’s probably better than alternatives when you’re shifstone constrained. Although, you could run Cinder Yetis instead. You should jam some games though, the exact details of the build won’t be as important as getting some experience right now.

Edit: yah actually, definitely run 4x Cinder Yetis. Get ready to experience the joy of drawing a Cinder Yeti in the late game and immediately wanting to shame concede. Don’t worry, your opponent can’t tell if you have a warp card on top of your deck!

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 30, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

lazerwolf posted:

I'm not quite sure you would ever really need 4x Lumen Reclaimer in a deck. I was considering 1x Reclaimer in the Camel Mask deck as mill protection

I would add 4x Gearcruncher if you are interested in playing Grenadin

Lumen Reclaimer is the kind of card you want to draw every game if it’s in your deck, so I can’t really imagine ever playing anything other than 4 or 0. Well, I guess as a 1 of if you specifically need mill protection, but that has literally never come up for me in 3 months of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I kinda want to abuse Jotun Feast-Caller more. I saw a streamer playing a FP deck last week that looked like a midrange burn/control kinda thing, landing one fat threat and getting blockers out of its way. Feast caller backed up by torch/permafrost/etc seems pretty good, that card has won games for me all by itself in feln control.

Look up spellcrag on eternalwarcry. I built it but haven’t played any ranked with it yet. It seems like a very tricky deck to play.