Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've been playing for quite a while, got to masters in several seasons. Alas, I don't have as much time as I used to, but I still try to get in a draft or two per week.

E: There's also still space for deck innovation; I've been tinkering with a BUg reanimatorish deck for months and it's finally started doing well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elblanco posted:

How do the currencies work?

So, rewards for wins in ranked, finishing a draft or a quest, etc, are chests. There are 4 tiers of chests:

Bronze chests get you ~60 gold and a random common
Silver chests get you ~250 gold and a random uncommon
Gold chests get you ~500 gold and a booster
Platinum chests get you ~2.1k gold, a booster, and a random foil.

Boosters have 200 shiftstone, 8 commons, 3 uncommons, and one rare or legendary, 1 of which may be foil, inside.

Gold can be used to enter drafts, buy boosters, or do forges. In general I recommend saving for drafts; as long as you go 2-3 or better, it's better than just buying boosters. It's harder for me to compare to forge so since I'm lazy I don't bother.

The other currency is shiftstone. Shiftstone is acquired by opening boosters or disenchanting cards a la hearthstone. It's used to construct new cards for your constructed deck. There's a convenient "Destroy Extras" button that auto-disenchants everything that you have more than 4 of, and you can disenchant other things manually.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 25, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

I think I got lucky. I beat it on the first try using the default shadow deck.

What the heck is a totem?

A purely visual doodad that sits on one side of the battlefield while your opponent's sits on the other, as far as I can know.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Whats a good way to deal with warcry? If you don't kill their one and two drops then their creatures get very big very quickly. Shadow seems to be the only colour with lots of unconditional removal.

Are there any other Wrath effects apart from Harsh Rule?

I also so a really interesting tooltip that said that if you have a relic weapon with a keyword, then ALL your damage gets that keyword applied. That seems to be a very interesting mechanic.

Blue has pyroclasm and shadow has a 3 mana opponent's creatures get -1/-1

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You need to turn on advanced deckbuilding.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Permafrost, while quite good, is worse than you think it is because it can't go on endurance dudes, most notably sandstorm titan.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I know it has a tablet port and I believe it also has a phone port.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I had the same surprise. A couple cards destroy attachments, which include weapons and curses. Otherwise permafrost is a 1 mana hard removal too I guess?

a few notes: silence removes all weapon/curse effects, but not their stats. When I played there were more than a few times that I played Valkyrie Enforcer and Silenced my own Permafrosted dude. Secondly, you can't permafrost Sandstorm Titan because it has vigilanceendurance

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

actual game in ladder with the pet deck I've been running off and on since early beta:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Avasculous posted:

Yeah that's... strange. Especially since the buff is lost if the creature or Obelisk leaves play, which implies that it's not a state change like the Witch or a lot of other buffs.

This isn't Magic, as far as I can tell it's 100% timestamp.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I've had two drafts in a row where I open my first pack and then just quit out of disgust. Like the best card in the pack is at best a C+.

About two drafts back I opened a Silverwing Commander, took several other Justice cards, and 7-0ed with a pure fire/shadow deck because Justice wasn't flowing. Just like in Magic, your first pick doesn't determine your draft.

(Also you could at least open the other packs and chests for value)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

delfin posted:

Usually it's hard enough to get thirty cards in the colors you're aiming for, let alone have the right synergies be available to pick.

Don't aim for colors, see where the good cards appear to be coming and move there. I don't feel like I lack playables generally.

Also I'd recommend running 17-18 sigils generally, not 15. You're just asking to be mana screwed by going that low imo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would take District Infantry out of that pack but that's because I've always been most successful with beatdown

I also wouldn't feel wedded to it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:toot:

I haven't played much Eternal for, like, a year, but I randomly decided to start playing again a bit before the new set came out. My favorite thing to do has always been draft, but it was a struggle at first. Spent a bunch of time grinding ranked and gauntlet in between my drafts, but then today I managed to go 7-1 to almost get to Master and then somehow 7-0

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm not sure, definitely more than 10 drafts overall. There were some clunkers in there, I went 0-3 once and was in the 2-5 win range quite a few times.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Finally made it to Master with the goofy Vara deck I've been playing off and on since the closed beta, I'm done with Ranked

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What I found in my journey to draft masters is that your good decks are basically 2 color decks with a good curve and some minor to moderate synergy. My second to last draft was a 7-1 Combrei deck with like 1 or 2 Tandem Watchwings, an Emerald Spear, and like 5 or 6 Valkyries total. My last draft was a 7-0 with like 3 or so gunslinger allies, one heroic bravo, and a couple of weapon synergies. I can post those decks once I'm at a computer, but basically you don't do much want a $type deck so much as a deck with a couple of $type things.

Also I really, really hate primal in draft. It didn't work for me in all base set, it doesn't really work for me in the new format. I'm not really sure why but my rule of thumb has been that my Justice decks are good and my Primal decks are bad, no matter what they look like.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Say what? Primal can be real good in draft. It had a ton of great draft cards in set 1 and set 2 also had a good few. The thing about primal is that you shouldn't draft it as you main color though since it also has lots of lovely creatures and spells. You draft the good stuff as a toolkit to support another stronger color. You grab fliers, things that make fliers, removal, tricks and card draw from it. There is a very small group of good ground creatures in Primal but yeah that's basically all there is to it for me

I don't even know, but almost every time I draft Primal it's bad and it's been that way since when there was only one set. I went dinos exactly once, and it was a 0-3. I ended up PS in one draft in the last week or so and went 6-3 and that might be my best record ever with a Primal draft deck. My most consistent decks are Jx(preferably F) that curve out. I still just try to draft what's open, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

For the new guy, I'd point out that laddering right now is going to be harder than normal because everyone's trying to regain their ranking for the new season

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Have you tried running some backlashes or unseals? It's not a cure-all but you might be able to commit enough to the board to force them to harsh rule and then counter that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

On the mana screw note, that's not just bad luck; you're running 16 power in 3 factions. I draft almost exclusively 2 faction decks and I still usually play 18 power.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

:agreed:

I found vanquish to actually be good in my combrei that I posted earlier. Especially against other combrei decks. I guess you could also play entrapment but I don't think that it's right to only play harsh rules

Yeah at the time it didn't feel that neccessary to me but by now there's probably a lot more harsh ruling going on

I hope I don't bore this thread with draft chat but argenport has been super hot for me tonight

That's the second 7-0 of the day and the draft before that had 5 steady marshals and went 5 wins which is funny to me. I guess it's no surprise that the archetype is good since pecking people to death with fliers and weapons is a long standing draft tradition. But set 3 has added a lot of little pieces and now it's well worth it to jump into argenport when it's open or to even force it. Like, it feels that set 3 made it so that even a bad argenport deck is still okay since your access to fliers and removal is so easy in theroy. Though I think forcing it is risky since justice is a highly drafted faction right now and you often have to compete for it.

Special shout-out goes to triggerman which I underestimated. He kills people real hard if you get to set him up and works well with other commons. Flashy duelist is a bland filler card but with triggerman you actually want to draft a copy or two just to bond him out on 3. And shortbarrel becomes a really attractive pick when you have one or more of these guys around. But tbh any 2+ attack weapon is good enough to get him swinging.

I feel like your Amethyst Waystones are worse than straight Shadow Sigils since they won't randomly shut off your own Entrapments.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bamhand posted:

Discarding a unit is different from discarding a random card. The latter does nothing while the former makes you draw fewer units. Not saying it's good but it's not the same thing.

This is correct, but it should still never make your deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I just draft 2 faction decks with a curve and probably average like 5-3 record but it was enough to make into Masters both this and last month

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've had a lot of time today so I've played through 3 events and I'm partway through the fourth, here's my thoughts so far:

First League: TS Ramp. I liked this deck, though I didn't do all that well with it. The sequencing was kind of tricky, and unlike some of the other decks(more on this later) you actually had the lategame thanks to the 4/4 that could grow, Mask of Torment, Talir, and some sweepers. I went 3-3, but one of the losses was from me disconnecting in a game where I was slightly ahead.

Second League: FS Sacrifice. This deck felt absolutely amazing, with a ton of options and power. Your deck manipulation is better than most of the other decks, you can flood the board and play large guys, and, most importantly, you have way more removal than any of the other decks. Most of the decks are filled with medium cards and a few bombs, and you can always kill theirs but they can't always kill yours(and in the case of the Hydra, they may not even want to). I went 7-1 fairly easily.

Third League: TJ toughness. This deck is absolutely garbage, and not even fun garbage like how the transform deck looks. The deck is basically nonfunctional without Shard of the Scale in its opening hand and it's not even amazing with the card. The spell that's supposed to act like a one-shot Shard felt very bad since it basically doesn't do anything unless it's part of a lethal or nearly lethal attack, which you can never set up because you're constantly blocking and sometimes chumping and just don't have that many creatures in general. I'd bet the deck wins 80% of its games with either an unanswered Shard into a stream of fliers, or an unanswered Amiti. I went 1-3 and admittedly my win involved neither of those, but it was against the Mind Link deck with no Mind Link.

Fourth League: PF Yetis. This deck feels very, very strong so far. I disagree with the guy earlier who said you can't win without Wump; there's a lot of other Yeti synergy in the deck and the deck is way more redundant and consistent than most of these decks, so you can just trade somewhat aggressively and beat down while everyone else is durdling around. I'm 3-0 with it so far, and I'm looking forward to finishing out that league.

I haven't played with the other decks, but the Mind Link deck looks like it's a similar tier to the toughness deck only more fun, and the weapons deck always seems to do things but I don't think I've lost to it yet.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I thought the best decks were Yetis and Sacrifice, my worst runs were 1-3 with both weapons and butts,

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hauki posted:

I've run into a lot of makto variants lately, and I'm already running Statuary Maiden in my jund midrange thing which helps to shut it down, but I'm also considering trying to find room for steward and/or valkyrie enforcer. There's just so many revenge, etc. cards running around right now plus the occasional feln reanimate thing. In any case, I did pretty well with my midrange variant today, went 10-1, only losing to yetis on a godawful draw.

Steward doesn't do much against Revenge anymore. I've been running a reanimator deck for the last year+ and I finally cut the Stewards after the latest nerf.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Man, I've been playing basically the same deck since early in the closed beta. I'm gonna have to hold a new deck now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's pretty similar to the reanimator deck, but I never did the Haunting Scream stuff and my card advantage engine was instead based around Privilege of Rank. This was my last list:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

knifebloom went 26-2 with 4 Geomar in his deck in the ECQ, but there's some buyer beware there because they're absurdly good and can win with just about anything. I've lost to them playing Sea of Teeth, for instance

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Drunk Theory posted:

Not diminishing your point. Just wanted to point out Sea of Teeth is a very good situational card, so it isn't the most surprising thing you could lose to.

oh no, this was a deck built around sea of teeth, not as like a value market card or something

I lost in top 64 of the ecq :(

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 17, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess we're only missing the FJS pledge 4 drop out of that cycle

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Huzzah! posted:

Get 4 of those on the field, play a Spitfire (a relic with pay 4 to deal 1 damage to an enemy) and start the machine gun. The really slow and not that good machine gun.

I mean this combo is probably way too much work but infinite damage is a pretty good machine gun

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

4 color is absolutely possible, you just can't do something silly like, say, play heart of the vault and howling peak in your 4 color deck like you can do in 3 color

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have gotten top 100 masters for the last several seasons with tokens so this is exciting

E:

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 26, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

based on my experience with tokens I don't think the time walk effect is super relevant because if you have 12 guys out you've probably won already or the board is completely clogged, but being obelisks 5-6(I don't think you want 8) seems nice

E: that's with tokens specifically, if someone tries it with rats like you mentioned that can be different

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:psyduck:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

my personal read is that their goal is to have mill be a meme, not actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 28, 2019