Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Just bought (crafted most of the missing pieces of) a pretty-outdated Haunting Scream deck so I could rank up a little while I do my silly daily quest of gaining 25 Shadow influence. Played one fellow, he friended me after, sent me a couple lines of Cyrillic and logged off. It was hilarious. Poor little poo poo's gonna commit suicide when he plays against Distortion.dec. I assume he was whining, beat him pretty bad.

Acquisitive Crow's not amazing in Scream.dec, but it is still my favorite card ever, maybe even more than Torch. I wish it were easier to protect because it's a loving blast in Skycraggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Crow update: when that thing survives, it completely loving turns games around, even ones unwinnable at the time. After keeping pace with a fellow with an ever-growing lifelink Kira bird, I managed to draw Combust. Had to choose losing a 5/3 trample haste Champion or the already-unleashed crow. I gave up the champ, was the right choice. Played Vadius, opp chooses to Runehammer Vadius instead of the crow because he has apparently not played with any of the new cards. Like 8-Whack, the crow is very fragile, and also like 8-Whack, if you don't deal with it really loving soon, you are DEAD.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Just went 6-0 with Skycrag from G1 to D3. Guess that deck is back. With 0 new cards played.

Please post? Been struggling.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LGD posted:

you've got to settle on your own mix of Mortar/Obliterate

Plz dont doxx me, is very rude imo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Yeah that's the list but two Rockslides instead of the Drones.

Thanks! It says "Sideboard" in there, what's up with that?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh my dear sweet unholy gently caress there is absolutely no goddamn reason Temporal Distortion should untap you during my turn AND make all your sorceries into instants, this is COMPLETE loving BULLSHIT AND THEY GODDAMN KNOW IT.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I don't even remember if this deck had a Market, I got the fucker to 2 before I was buried under overwhelming card advantage. Feels badman.

Currently winning some games with

4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Bring Down (Set2 #217)
4 Darkveil Agent (Set3 #160)
2 Kothon, the Far-Watcher (Set2 #218)
2 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
4 Paladin Oathbook (Set1 #140)
3 Protect (Set1 #132)
3 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
2 Acquisitive Crow (Set4 #164)
4 Auric Sentry (Set1 #146)
4 Hooru Pacifier (Set1003 #23)
4 Unseen Commando (Set3 #122)
4 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
3 Shelterwing Rider (Set2 #223)
1 Svetya, Orene of Kosul (Set3 #304)
2 Lida, Most Skilled (Set3 #189)
9 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
8 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Hooru Banner (Set2 #216)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)

It's not optimised but Oathbook is doing some work, especially with the Crow. I made the deck a long while ago to do some daily but it's just taken me from Silver 1 to Gold 3 without a loss (after struggling piloting Skycrag).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ought to be an achievement for making Witching Hour cost 38 (Slow off a Crow, opponent was all like "No," and scooped right quick). Is there any reason to play only 1 power card on your first turn and then deliberately not put one down again? Algorithm can't give players fewer than 2 power in opening hand, so they was definitely holding one.

Edit: Disregard, they kept a 1-power hand. Seems an interesting choice vs unknown deck.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LGD posted:

plenty of decks are more than happy to roll the dice on that

I'm never happy about it, but Outlaw, max Champ, max Champ is sometimes worth it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Got owned by a combo deck reducing the cost of Recurring Nightmare to 0 and playing thst Yeti that makes units hit for 1 when ETB, scooped when he Nightmare reached 128.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Acquisitive Crow is ruinously good in limited. If you didn't end up with an absurd amount of removal to always have on hand when it's swinging in, it just ends the game and there's nothing you can do about it, but it's definitely not a mythic-feeling card. I wonder if this is how folks felt about Drana in Rise of the Eldrazi?

In case you couldn't tell by my adverb choice, I did not have the Crow.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Crow good with Paladin Oathbook and Unseen Commando.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Good, gently caress Accelerated Evolution. One guy quit turn 0 vs. me 'cause he mistook my Unstable Form for either Clockroach or Evolution. :xd:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

say no to scurvy posted:

Bring Down is the real victim here tonight.

Sorry, how's that? It doesn't look like it was changed. I logged in expecting it to cost 1 more. loving stoked about making Ijin's Choice playable-ish.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, started this game like a week ago, or enough time to get the GW theme deck. How is it this one is so much worse than the last theme I unlocked (feln cunning) that I feel I need to rip the deck apart and build it anew just to eke out 5 wins in casual? It's weird after all the other shenanigans I've gotten up to playing this game ala deckbuilding.

Not all theme decks are created equal, some of them appear to be crammed full of trash in an effort to teach the player about deck-building, ala Magic's theme decks for the past 14 or so years.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo piss, today I learned that if you flood your board with creatures, Madness becomes a no-questions-asked kill spell. That was upsetting, seeing as my opponent survived at 1 and I failed to draw any burn in 7 turns.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Honestly not sure what's in the Crown lists exactly, but short answer yes, there is. Lotta mythics, though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
2 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
2 Brazen Daredevil (Set1 #19)
3 Miner's Musket (Set3 #10)
4 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
4 Rakano Outlaw (Set1 #20)
3 Smith's Hammer (Set2 #8)
3 Censari Brigand (Set1 #34)
2 Cinder Yeti (Set1002 #1)
2 Shogun's Scepter (Set1 #26)
4 Crimson Firemaw (Set1002 #3)
3 Groundbreaker (Set2 #21)
3 Morningstar (Set1 #510)
1 Jekk, Hunted Fugitive (Set3 #36)
4 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
21 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
1 Granite Monument (Set1 #423)
3 Granite Waystone (Set3 #1)
2 Shugo Standard (Set4 #1)

This garbage pile has been winning a shocking number of games in Diamond 3 and 2 today.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I can't tell which are filler, though. Brazen Daredevil is hilarious when equipped, and Jekk pulled out a game I was gonna lose.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Some bastard had a Tavrod deck into which they crammed Rooftop Vigilante and Thief's Pick. I tried it out and sure enough it's really nasty. Swapped Impending Doom for Vigilante, don't remember what for Pick.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Temporal Distortion remains the most unforgiveable card in Eternal, that poo poo needs to be nerfed last year.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

other cards that synergize with it.

Synergies such as card draw, targeted removal, mass removal, deck thinning, graveyard reshuffling, more removal and card filtering? No, surely not. What are the odds they even put such cards in their deck? Let alone draw and then play them against aggro. A lunatic's ravings, clearly.
:thunk:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

You're playing aggro and you think that a card they cast on turn 8 is the reason you didn't win?

Why don't they just make the whole plane out of the black boxes??? True brain genius, goon sir.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you're taking actions as fast as you are able and not just sitting around with your thumb up your rear end, why would it time out? I thought it only does that when you don't interact with the game controls for however long a duration.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

I'm trying to help you be a better player, man.

Your aggro deck didn't lose because your opponent played a particular 8 mana card. It lost because they got to 8 mana and you hadn't killed them yet.

All right, friend. How do I get my opponent from 25 to 0 life before they can play Distortion, all the while killing every single attacker I play once it has hit once (or less!), and wipe me when I have more than one creature on the board? I don't get to play creatures at end of turn, but he gets to draw cards and kill my creatures whenever's convenient for him, and this consistently leaves me 10-15 points of damage short, no matter how carefully I'm trying to avoid being blown out while still applying pressure.

It doesn't matter if it's Skycrag, TJP, Argenport or Hooru, they kill every creature I play then stabilise at 10 or fewer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

It's a little confusing to me how you can describe those experiences, and also think that the 8-drop that doesn't kill any of your creatures or draw your opponent any cards is the One Thing that caused you to lose.

You want to curve out aggressively in the early turns to push as much damage as possible. Mulligan any hand that doesn't actually do anything. Keep being aggressive throughout the game, because if you get to the late game having only done ten damage, you've lost.

You have to identify early on whether your hand is "good" or merely "medium". some hands literally cannot beat a hailstorm no matter how you play them, and in those cases you want to just pretend that they don't have it and jam everything. If it turns out they do have it, whatever, you were losing anyway, and if they don't have it you're in a way better position to win. (This is probably one of your issues, given that you mention that you "carefully try to avoid being blown out".)

But actually the best advice is to just craft up Temporal and play some games with it - observe what your opponents do that makes you actually worried, so you know what you should be doing when you're on the other side of the matchup.

The extra untap step is the actual killer. I swear I have mentioned this and if I have, you're being deliberately obtuse and if I have not, then I apologise. Oh you're tapping out? Sweet, gonna kill ya. Oh, wait, nevermind, you have 12 mana and a handful of cards starting my turn. And I've tried the "guess if I'll draw enough mana or creatures" with any given hand, and I have to guess what my opponent is playing when I'm resolving mulligans. "Good" hands get me like 5 damage closer vs Distortion than a "medium" hand, and I have had MANY unplayable hands that remain unplayable after I mulligan. Are you saying I just autoscoop those? There's literally no reason to overextend into a Hailstorm. I've lost count of the number of games where my opponent is at 1 and I can't force through that last point because they have all the removal for my creatures and a new aegis every time I have a burn spell, if I'm playing Skycrag. I'd sleeve it and play it but that's like 15000 shift away and gently caress that.

Curving aggressively early game has actually lost me more games than not deliberately overextending. Best case scenario is I swing for 2 on turn 2, 6 on turn 3 and then lose both units to a Hailstorm, play another unit, it dies before attacking so I'll play a couple more and they both die before attacking. Sometimes my opponent needs to draw cards and does so and I get in 2 more damage before that creature also dies. There's a reason Seedborn Muse is never getting reprinted in a standard-legal set.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 6, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^ The real answer is thst it's a $40 card and reprinting it to sufficient demand would hurt "investors'" liberal snowflake fee-fees.

As much as some archetypes, interactions and player behaviors upset me to the point of incoherent rage, at least this game can never be exploited as a financial vehicle for war criminals and layabouts.

No, what I'm saying is that it literally does not matter how I play my units because my opponent mysteriously has the perfect answers each time, in order, no matter how many units I play or don't play, and when I throw back a hand that I'm reasonably sure doesn't get me there, I get an even worse hand. Am I just the unluckiest player in Eternal?

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 6, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Matsuri posted:

Seedborn Muse very literally JUST had a reprint in a supplemental set mere months ago. Clearly demand isn't that high, because it's a simple $6 now.

No one is complaining about this.

I stand corrected and am delighted to be wrong.

How do I make a video of an Eternal game on Android?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I've been loving Preserver of Dualities in limited and will start first picking it if the rare's no good.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I got a system message in-game, like the reminders thst units can't attack the turn you play them, or that you require the following influence to play that card, but something entirely different, and with a larger font and it was way too fast for me to read. Happened entirely apropos of nothing. Opponent declined to allow me to message them to ask if they saw it too and I am deathly confused. Any y'all know what it might've been? I wasn't trying to take any action at the time and Google has been no help thus far. Happened during a ranked game, was on Haunting Scream and opp was on some Praxis overrun bullshit or something I think, don't remember and don't care, just want to know :wtc: it might've said.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I lost a game because my touchscreen decided I wanted to Torch my Pyroknight instead of play Yeti Champ and swing for 5. Lost a draft once because my touchscreen decided I wanted to P1P1 Learned Herbalist instead of the Feln fellow that activates for Wheel of Fortune.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I disagree, and even if my rare was a 15th copy of Fearbinder, I'd've rather had the 200 shift. It was upsetting.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Matsuri posted:

Black-Sky Harbinger is... a gently caress
:hai:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Finally got to Masters and EVERYONE is playing mythic semi-mono Time. They sure copied Blue from Magic exactly. :suicide:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Not really Elysian midrange, so much as Xenan Killer bullshit, splashing another color when they feel like it.

I think the results speak for themselves. https://eternalwarcry.com/tournaments/details/Ag7tsNczF6c/ecl-sunday-challenge-top-3

As far as flavor correlation, Justice is white, Time is blue, Shadow is black, Fire is red and Primal is green, regardless of the actual color pie assignments.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 26, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Not just Teacher, notice the shared Time mythics and killer package in each list? Yeah... That said, DWD is still a trillion times more responsive and giving a poo poo about their own game than WotC.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Christ almighty, if I had that much loving shift, I'd suck it up and play the Time deck. :gonk:

I guess it's only 11 mythics I'm missing, still fewer than for Time. D,x'D

I'm assuming those 13 games were ones where the algorithm hosed you?

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 26, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, did you not play against Skycrag ever, or can you beat them trivially but have to try against Praxis tokens?

I've been on Skycrag for a bit, then got enough shift for some Deepforge Plates and have been running Rakano from D1 to Master, and I really can't say which has more trouble with Time. I'd go the full Icaria, but I just don't have the shift. Got one each of her, Bowmaster and a couple other things from packs. Just now, when trying to remember all 40 mythics in the Time deck, I remembered that Alhed the Mountbreaker is a thing too. Time is 200% loving busted.

Is Argenport Sacrifice the one where all their creatures have Revenge and are constantly cycling in and out of the graveyard?

That list you posted is the only one I like seeing as much as Time.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 26, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm able to field what many would probably consider an optimised Skycraggro list, but it feels like I'm just watching a replay of an old-fashioned comp stomp from the comp's perspective around 60% of the time. Opening hand is no action or not enough power, so I mull into a hand with no or not enough action or inverted colors, or I'll get a playable hand and each of my cards is outclassed by every card my opponent plays and he's got like 12 of them after I've burned through all of mine.

Also, I actually really like Thunderbird, even with a playset of Vadius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Dizo, yeah, that fucker.

Is it possible you saw 0 Skycraggro for the same reason Llanowar Elves is 100% unplayable in standard right now (hated out by the meta, makes it a waste of entry fee to try)?

Thank you for all your help. I stuck your deck in my collection and am only 26.4k shift from it. :woop: