Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Lisa Alcemene, Pet Rock Enthusiast

"Darn, that's three votes ghostie ghost, two votes fighty 'mons. The Ghosts take it."

Lisa seems less than thrilled. Not that shes scared! Nope nope nope. Just... Wary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

"I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO PUNCH A GHOST!"

Abbie seems....incredibly thrilled at this prospect.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Channeler Yuri Scanate

"We don't have to stick together if you don't want to," Yuri says as he watches the other girl--Abbie--clamber onto the Onix. Bronco seems almost...happy to give her a ride too. Very interesting. "I mean, we just met, what, five minutes ago?"

Droopy is happily chattering away with Scuttlebutt and Minzy about all the neat ghosts they'll see and how Yuri is a bit of a scaredy-Skitty. "I'm not a scaredy-Skitty, Droopy, you're just too slimy for Gastly to lick. "Woo-woo-pah!"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"W-well I'd like to stick together if we're going to the haunted house. Not sure how Bronco is gonna fight them off if I have to go later alone. J-just for Pokemon type coverage, that's all."

Lisa proudly turns her nose up.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Jimmy Wigglet, Benefactor of Butterfrees

Jimmy shrugs. "We can do the battledome afterwards, let's go!"

Scooping up Scuttlebutt, Jimmy heads to get on the onyx train.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Channeler Yuri Scanate

"Can't say I've ever done this before," Yuri sighs in amusement as he climbs onto Bronco. Droopy has already jumped from the windowsill onto a segment of his own, bouncing up and down with a "Woo! Woo! Woo!" It doesn't take a channeler to know he's saying "Go! Go! Go!"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Riley Vincent, Spirited Child

"Yeah! All aboard the Onix! Woo! Woo! Woo!"

I excitedly thrust my fists into the air as I hop behind Yuri, mimicking his also excited Wooper. Droopy, I think he called it? Minzy for her part is digging her claws into my shoulder to make sure she doesn't fall off, which kinda hurts Minzy! Buuut I can't really blame her, 'cause falling off from up here seems like it'd hurt! A lot! ...Maybe I should hold on a little tighter.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
You all manage to ride yourselves out of the hotel and onto the roads again. Tucked away into it's own little corner is Mismagius Mansion. You have to enter a sort of indoors area wherein it gives the appearance of an eternal night, despite it being daylight outside. The entryway also checks to see how many medallions you all have. With the number being a whopping "zero," they punch in some numbers and the stormy mansion remains about as stormy as it was before. That said, there's a helpful placard telling you the goal of this place.

Experience thrills, chills and frights unlike you've never seen before! Lady Mismagius, owner of this home, invites you to a tea party as honored guests. However, just getting to the dining hall may prove troubling, as a maze of locks, traps and scary residents of the home make this anything but a simple soiree. Hidden within this mansion is a Park Medallion, as well as the key to the exit. Do you dare try to find both treasure and a way out? Or will you drop over from fright? Step into the manor and find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8lryYLaD4

Upon entering, the double doors shut behind you. What a mansion! There's a large set of stairs leading up to a second floor and what looks to be the way to the main hall, but there's a strange, glowing field preventing you from simply accessing that door. There seem to also be paths behind and to either side of the staircase, leading to what you can only assume are the myriad rooms of this mansion and, hopefully, your loot.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Jimmy Wigglet, Kahuna of Kakunas

Jimmy looked at the dome. "Wooof, that's some seriously impressive money spent right there, they even got the lightning right."

Jimmy waited and listened to the keyfabe explanation of why they were in this house as he considered his choices. Jimmy looked around, Jimmy looked back at the door that suddenly shut behind them. Jimmy had a moment of peace as silence settled on the mansion.

"Sooo, is Lady Mismagius, an actual Mismagius, or a woman in a Mismagius costume?" Jimmy thought about this conundrum, and shrugged it off.

"Right so my gut says straight, so I'm gonna go straight. Do you want to all go together or split up in this giant creepy haunted house?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"W-well I'd like to stick together... I'm not sure Bronco can fit in all the tight spaces so I'm gonna need someone else's Pokemon to help. I reckon Lady Mismagius is a woman with a Mismagius."

You're not scared Alcemene, you've been down dark tunnels before, and you've made friends there! You can do this!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

At least Droopy is happy bouncing across the artificially aged rug. Yuri clenches and unclenches his fists, takes a deep breath, and steps through the double doors...which promptly slam shut.

"Arceus a--" he starts, before remembering that this is a kid's playground and they probably don't have abused Pokemon waiting to scream at him and melt his brain in the halls. Probably. "Alright...alright, I can do this. Let's uh...let's pick a path! Anybody got a preference?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

"Um... there's a trick to things like this! It's..."

It takes me a second to remember, but then I place my hand alongside the right wall and start walking. Carefully, though. Who knew when something could come out of the wall!

If I'm interpreting UQ's post right, there's a door to the right side of the staircase, so I'll go for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

Abbie is not perturbed at all by the spooks and creeps.

"Listen, guys, I got this! HEY, LADY MISMAGIUS! COME ON OUT, YA GHOST BROAD! FIGHT ME!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

"I thought fighting types couldn't hurt ghost types, Abbie...?"

"Whoo!" Droopy hoses down one of the decorative armor suits in the hall, as if to say "Lucky I'm not!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

"D--.......Well....Hm."

Abbie spends a moment to ponder this.

"Guess you're right. GOOD THING I'M NOT A FIGHTING TYPE!"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"I think we're getting distracted. This place is for puzzles, not punching. Riley is right, just place our hands out along a wall and follow it and we'll come out on top. It works in the caves, it'll work here too"

Lisa puts her hand on the wall to demonstrate, starting to walk down the hall past the stairs, teeth chattering

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

"Woo-pah!" Having no hands, Droopy decides to do his own version of the right wall rule, spraying a mist at Wooper-height that leaves the aesthetically peeled wallpaper damp.

"I thought that only worked for most mazes, not all of them," says Yuri as he traces a line much further up the wall. "Like, what happens if whatever we need is in its own little circle in the center?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"As my daddy always tells me... We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. For now, let's give this a whirl."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Jimmy watched Riley lead the way and shrugged. "Good enough for me, is it good enough for you Scuttlebutt?"

"Veni"

"It's a start." And so Jimmy followed on behind Riley.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

Abbie grumbles and gets along to patting the wall as well.

"No punching, what is this. Buncha garbage."

"Chop..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Behind the staircase, you find a short hall leading to a set of double doors. Opening it up, you find that you have opened your way to...A library! Also the tick tock of a grandfather clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hIpjiGDq4

The sheer amount of bookshelves stacked atop one another implies the house could not possibly hold this many on any floor but the ground floor. That said, any kind of close inspection of the shelves reveals most of the bookshelves to be lined with props to give the illusion of a full bookshelf at a fraction of the weight and cost. That said, every so often there are some real books spotted among the fakes. What lies hidden within these myriad bookshelves, and do you bother to check it out?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

"Maybe you should stop spraying for now, Droopy," Yuri whispers gently with a pat on Droopy's head. "I don't think replacing this many books would be cheap if they get moldy." "Woo-pah-pah", answers Droopy, his tail living up to the name as he stops.

"That's a funny sound; anybody see what's causing it?" He takes another deep breath as he moves towards the closest stack of books. "I thought everyone would've moved to digital clocks by now, but I guess that wouldn't fit the kids' spooky house theme." He reaches out for one of the books, muttering "please don't be a Ditto or a Zorua..."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"Hey hey hey! Anyone around?"

After a pause, Lisa whips out her heavy ball and throws out Bronco. Bronco looks around before giving a loud roar.

"ONIIIIIIIIIIIX"

"Yeah, yeah buddy. You mind lifting me up to take a look at some of the books?"

Bronco quietly nuzzles up under Lisa, lifting her up to look at some of the books on the top shelf.

"Well what do we have here..?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The two books you find today are...A Treatise on Swords, Volume I and The Little Lamplight. Or at least, you thought you did, until the roar causes the books to slip through your hands and start floating away. You hear a woman's ghostly giggles, and then a voice.

"Oh, my guests have arrived so soon? And I haven't finished touching up yet. No matter! For now, tend to our guests, would you?"

Soon after, the books begin vibrating violently before turning into their true forms in a puff of smoke.

The sword points it's edge at Yuri, seemingly offering forth a challenge.

Meanwhile, the candle just smiles and floats at Lisa before making a spooky face, expecting her to fall off the Onix in surprise.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. Wook at this widdl- AHH SWEET ARCEUS WHY" Lisa recoils bodily, and Bronco lazily reaches up with his tail to steady her, lowering his head to the ground and letting her off at ground level.

"ONNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIX!"

"NO, BRONCO." Lisa shouts from the ground "Don't hurt the little guy, it was just a practical joke. I'm sure he's plenty friendly. Lift me up again."

"Onix..."

"Do it."

And with that the giant lowered it's head and lifted Lisa up to eye level, giving a rumbleing growl as it approached the litwick.

"Hey buddy, nice scary face."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

"Ahahaha! And you're the one who's supposed to win this thing, huh?"

Abbie pats Lisa on the shoulder (maybe a bit too roughly) and just lets out a hearty laugh.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

As I sit around waiting for Yuri and Lisa to finish reading, 'cause I didn't come to a haunted house to read, two funny looking Pokemon show up! One of 'em's a sharp looking blade, and the other's the cutest little candle I've ever seen! Grinning widely, I bounce up and down as I ask,

"Hey, hey! We can try and catch these guys, right? Right?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Lisa bristles at the pat on her back, but says nothing. She just stares at the litwick, and says to Riley "Hon, don't think we're allowed to keep em. Park rules and stuff."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

"A Treatise on Swords? Why would--whoa!" Yuri promptly falls flat on his bum when the book turns into a floating sword--a Honedge!--and starts waving pointy-end first vaguely towards his face. Or neck?

Droopy stops bouncing off styrofoam props to rush over to Yuri's side, but just as he's about to start rusting blades, Yuri stops him with a pat on the head.

"It's alright, Droopy, it's alright..." He swallows and forces himself to look at Honedge in the hilt. "You look pretty shiny today, Honedge. I'm with the Pokemon nurses. They treat you alright here?"

I don't want to fight with the Honedge in position to slice Yuri's throat, so let's use Pokepsychologist to use 3d6 Pokemon Education to "chat" up the sword poke!
[19:00:30] <Davin_Valkri> !r 3d6
[19:00:31] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 10 = 10

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"What?" Said Jimmy as he tried taking a look at a book.

"They have Pokémon in them? That... Is pretty good special effects actually."

Ghost Pokémon interested Jimmy to a degree, although not as much as bug Pokémon. There was only one ghost/bug type Pokémon in the whole world though and he doubted he had it

He looked very carefully at the book in his hand.

Perception check = 3

"Well it looks like a book to me." He opened it.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 9, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Jimmy's book, albeit he was too impatient to read more than the title of, was The Little Warrior That Could. From this book produces a puff of smoke and...a bop on the head from a bone-shaped object. It would appear that the pokemon associated with this book does not appreciate being skimmed.

Meanwhile, the little candle pokemon hops onto Lisa's shoulder, it's flame giving more of an eerie cold from the touch. It seems intent on seeing how long you can keep this up.

Focus test, if you would, if you intend to simply stand there and let it keep trying to creep you out without flinching. Otherwise, you can try befriending it in other ways, or attacking it.

As for the sword, the thoughts you get from it are as follows, and I quote: "In the name of my Lady I shall test your mettle! En Garde!"

The sword seems antsy for a trial of physical strength, whether it be combat or a (hint hint) grapple.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

"Haha, now things are getting good! If it's a fight you want, it's a fight you get!"

Abbie rushes forward to grab the Honedge by the hilt, the only place that is not sharp or soul-stealy.

"C'mere, you!"'

GRAPPLE COMBAT 15!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

*Bop*

"Ow." Jimmy looked at the Pokemon that just bipped him on the forehead, it was a Cubone. Just a Cubone, not a spookey Cubone or a Cubone in a costume or anything just a Cubone from a book.

"Cubone isn't a ghost type is it?" He looked at the book again, as an annoyed Pokemon waved a bone at him.

He began to actually read the book properly this time.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 12, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Lisa gives her best pokerface as the candle tries it's damnedest to get her to finch.

Focus Test: 2d6 12

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

"Uh, wow, you're really serious about this, aren't you?" Yuri asks in disbelief. He's heard of Honedge being one-edge-minded about their sashes, but not in acting roles. Then Abbie decides to take up the gauntlet...

"W...whoa!" Yuri skitters away from Abbie's flailing legs as the Honedge starts to lift off, then suddenly reaches forward to try to keep things relatively down to earth.

"Wait! Wah!"

"Woo-pah! Woo-pah!" Droopy chants from the ground, still bouncing.

Everybody get tangled up in the Honedge and get touched and fatigued!
[19:41:05] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6
[19:41:06] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 10 = 10

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The Honedge proceeds to, rather than actually fight back, simply lift into the air, gaining the upper hand in the grapple. Yuri's attempt to interfere keeps her grounded, but ultimately this seems to only minorly affect the situation. The transmissions Yuri receives amount to "You think you can handle me? What a foolishly foolish fool you are, the both of you!" (It rolled a 16 to dodge the grapple, and then a 15 to perform a new grapple on Abbie. At this point, imagine the little scarf getting closer and closer to the both of you, ready to wrap around.)

Meanwhile, the candle keeps making all sorts of faces and expressions at Lisa to no avail. It seems to get bored of this, and begins to float over to where the action is, far more interested in the shenanigans going on there than with you. On the plus side, you don't have a fight on your hands! On the other hand, it probably stings getting ignored...

The story Jimmy reads is a sad tale of a Cubone who lost their mother and wears it's skull, hoping to find it's spirit and give it a proper send-off. It meets several friends along the way, but ultimately has to leave them behind when the story draws to a close. The Cubone, meanwhile, still seems rather aloof at your presence. On a second glance, you can see through it, partially: either these are very good effects or this is a ghostly pokemon.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Disappointed by the news that for some reason we're not allowed to keep anything we catch in the park, I drag myself over to the Cubone that's shown itself. Something about it is kinda weird though, 'cause I can look right through him. Curious now, I start peeking at the Cubone from different angles, before wondering if my finger would go through it too. 'Cause that would be a little creepy, but also super cool! I get down low, and stare right at the Cubone as I hold out my hand.

"Hiya! Wanna play?"

Rolling Charm to try and get the Cubone to play with me so that I can try and stick a finger through its skull :v:
<TheFireMagi> !r 3d6
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 10 = 10

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"Hey wait, come back!" Lisa rushes up to beside the litwick and makes the funniest face she can in an attempt to start a less creepy back and forth going.

Make funny faces at the litwick: 4d6 20

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Channeler Yuri Scanate

Yuri sees the Honedge's sash sliding down, down, down the hilt and tries his best to suppress his panic.

"Do you play with kids like this?!"

He doesn't completely succeed. Okay, Yuri, how can you keep this from spilling over too badly? The Honedge wants to fight. Abbie can do it physically. Is there anything you can do to help out?

He shifts his grip on the hilt, bringing his hand way too close to the sash. Can his life be sucked out through a glove? Guess he'll find out soon enough.

Honedge, he "says" with mouth wide shut. You seem...battle happy. Almost unhealthily so. Let me in so I can feel what you feel...

Intuition check go! [19:19:11] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4d6
[19:19:12] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 15 = 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abbie, Big Buff Pokepuff

"Aaah! Get me down! I'm not good with heights!"

• Locked thread