Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Pictured: This is what Jack Chick actually believes!

I'm the Flavor Flav style medallions. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm Satan and I say baloney to that! Watch your language devil worshipers!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That Pink Floyd edit is incredible :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I guess the Nazis didn't get the message from the Pope that they were supposed to make the world Catholic when they sent 3000 priests to Dachau.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

hitchensgoespop posted:

Questions for Gutter Phoenix

What was the leadup to this crazy bastard making these awful things, did he just start doodling on a damp rag and showing it to people or did they just appear fully formed and hilarious into the world?

After high school, Jack got a scholarship to study acting. World War 2 interrupted his studies, and he spent three years fighting in the South Pacific. He picked up where he left off when he returned, and met his future wife at a Pasadena, California theater where they were both performing in plays. Her parents were born-again Christians, and while she and Jack were visiting them in Canada, the in-laws insisted that the whole family sit down and listen to "Charles E. Fuller's Old Fashioned Revival Hour" on the radio. According to Jack: "God was already working on my heart, but when Fuller said the words, 'Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow,' I fell on my knees and my life was changed forever."

One would think he was just doing it to appease the Canadian in-laws, but apparently Jack's conversion was for real, because he never wavered in his conviction over the next half century (and then some). Basically, Canada is responsible for Chick tracts, which is ironic, because I'm pretty sure they're banned there.

hitchensgoespop posted:

What was the earliest or first chick tract?

The first tract was Why No Revival? in 1961, although there was a bit of an evolution in the format, as well as the content.

Jack had always wanted to be a cartoonist, and had done some professional work in the past, although he didn't really try to make a career out of it. When he became a born-again Christian, he decided to use his skills to spread his beliefs. Like many religious folks who've just recently converted, Jack's fervor was extreme. His first tract, which is mostly single-panel cartoons, focused on the hypocrisy and lack of spirituality among the leaders and members at his local church. Apparently, he even parodied specific people in his own congregation, which angered quite of few of them.

Here is an example of a page from the 1961 version. I chose this frame because it is the very first time that a character says "Haw Haw Haw!" in a Chick tract.

Early tracts varied in size quite a bit. Why No Revival? was originally about 7.5" x 5.5", reprinted in a slightly smaller 3.5" x 5" version (as seen above), and finally completely redrawn and reprinted in 1970 (second tract in the first picture) using the familiar 2.75" x 5" format that is still used today.

Here are two pages from the smaller 1970 version:

Neither are in the revised 1986 version (green cover). Here is a comparison of a changed page between the two:

hitchensgoespop posted:

In your opinion how did his worldview change over time, did he get more hardcore or did he cool off?

It's really difficult to say. Like all of us, Jack was a product of his time. His tracts tended to reference any topic that questioned the status quo, and since he published them over the course of 55 years, the focus changed. In the page I posted above, the focus goes from "civil rights and hippies are going to destroy us!" (1970) to "phony Christian rock bands possessed by Satan are going to lure our children to the dark side!" (1986). It's tough to choose which concept is more ludicrous.

He did seem to go off the deep end in the early 80s when he fell under the influence of a couple of different lunatics. Alberto Rivera claimed to be an ex-Jesuit priest with secret information about a global Vatican/Illuminati conspiracy to destroy all Protestants. Many anti-Catholic tracts were published during that time. He also fell under the sway of Dr. Rebecca Brown, who convinced Jack that witches had taken over her hospital. Several classic anti-witch tracts were published during that time. Sadly, like most of the truly batshit-insane tracts, most of these are permanently out of print.

In later years, Chick tracts focused more on Bible stories and general tales imploring people to give up their sinful ways and accept Christ. The most offensive tracts are in the past, because the stuff Chick was attacking is readily accepted in modern times. Some of the recent tracts will most-likely be fairly offensive to future folks, but they seem pretty tame to me.

I'm not religious, but collecting Chick tracts for so long has given me an odd form of respect for the man behind them. I honestly don't think of him as being a hatemonger. He had a message he wanted to get across to the masses ("God will send you to hell if you don't give props to His son"), and he succeeded. It makes sense that the slogan of Chick Publications, LLC is "Chick Tracts Get Read!"

I'll post a few more of the early tracts later. I have some free time, and don't go digging in to my ridiculous collection very often, so this is fun for me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Domus posted:

Isn't the concept of Jesus creating the universe Catholicism? I thought only they believed in the whole three forms of god thing. What's the point of God giving up his only son if he's just God anyways?

I do have to thank Jack Chick for the best tabletop RPG session I ever had. We all picked characters who went to hell in Chick tracts, and had to fight our way up to heaven to ask God what the gently caress going on. I believe the event was called "Waxman's Warriors", as Rabbi Waxman was one of the adventurers. Good nerd times.

Nah man, the triune godhead is generally accepted as one of the essential core beliefs of Christianity. God is Christ is the Holy Spirit is God etc.

When Jesus came to earth he was both fully man and fully God and was furthermore without sin, so God used himself as a scapegoat for the sins of mankind so he wouldn't have to judge every single person ever unworthy of his own love. Why a weird legalistic loophole set up many thousands of years after recorded history began was the only way God could redeem the world is anybody's guess. Note that he is essentially tricking himself. :shrug: It's a "divine mystery" :airquote:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

stringball posted:

I'm confused on why the edited versions of the hate comics were made, did someone tell him or did he realize he was too harsh on the gays and somehow feel the slightest bit of compassion for them and went easier on them

It seems like he just wasn't satisfied with the original artwork and wanted hot, gratuitously hairy men kissing each other and sweating.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if Jack Chick made cartoons about science goons wouldn't be mocking his death

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

"Harambe died for your sins"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

goons already poo poo on xkcd constantly so I don't think that's true

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Question I probably already know the answer to: what is the fate of people never introduced to our Lord Jesus and thus never given a chance at acceptance and salvation?

Gutter Phoenix you probably have a tract on this very subject, probably with racist caricatures of I'm assuming African tribes

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Toadvine posted:

Question I probably already know the answer to: what is the fate of people never introduced to our Lord Jesus and thus never given a chance at acceptance and salvation?

Gutter Phoenix you probably have a tract on this very subject, probably with racist caricatures of I'm assuming African tribes

Don't worry, I'll get to this. Long story short: It's important to spread the message to every single person on Earth so that they can choose whether or not to go to hell. Haw Haw Haw!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
"Baloney!"
-the dark lord Satan

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Toadvine posted:

Sunday school taught me that every person who was alive before Jesus went to hell. Sunday school also taught me that athiests hate music.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Toadvine posted:

Ahem...God has imprinted his majesty and glory all around us through the stunning beauty and complexity of nature and has granted mankind with a sense of right and wrong. For those who truly never had a chance to know the Lord through Christ, they most assuredly could have come to know God through His Creation and strived to live the purest and most upright life they could in order to thank and please such a generous Deity. Note that your chance through this method are pretty loving slim because, among other things, you'd have to reject the gods and spirits of your own people for some nebulous Creator God you just kinda have an inkling about, as you realize none of the gods you know could possibly be responsible for such wondrous feats.

A similar rule also applies to babies and retards and anyone else who lacks the cognitive capacity to understand salvation. Just a free pass to heaven.

These are relatively recent doctrinal developments (last 200 years? Dunno), I think, though feel free to correct me. The more traditional interpretation is that if you don't hear and accept the Word, you going to hell. That's why Catholics have a tradition of baptizing infants. Gotta get them heaven insurance before the devil takes em.

Im really only familiar with Protestant denominations and some of their wacky offshoots, vaguely familiar with some Catholic stuff and pretty much in the dark on any other major Christian sects such as the Orthodox Church or the Coptics.

E: the Mormons believe we're all going to heaven, just that heaven is way more awesome in proportion to how much you love the Lord during this lifetime. Roughly.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 26, 2016

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I should have been more clear: I'm curious about uninformed sinners within Chicks belief system specifically.

Edit: I went on a Baptist mission trip in middle school where they informed us that those not saved through circumstance (rather than by choice) still go to hell and their damnation is my fault for not being a more perfect missionary for the Lord. Other churches I assume have different takes on it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Basically, Canada is responsible for Chick tracts, which is ironic, because I'm pretty sure they're banned there.

This is likely, here is the form for hate/propaganda material being confiscated by border control.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Awesome work Gutter Phoenix keep it up.

I personally like to think that he's up on heaven right now sitting at the right hand of the lord almighty and looking down on us all in the knowledge that he absolutely right about everything.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Toadvine posted:

I should have been more clear: I'm curious about uninformed sinners within Chicks belief system specifically.

I'm guessing doublehell, slightly less bad than triplehell which is reserved for atheists, teachers and Jews.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm guessing doublehell, slightly less bad than triplehell which is reserved for atheists, teachers and Jews.

This seems awfully nuanced for Jack Chick. He doesn't leave the reader much wiggle room

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Demon's Nightmare (1962). The story behind Jack Chick's second tract is that he was driving past a group of teenagers, consciously thought about how much he disliked teenagers (who doesn't?), and then had to pull over and cry because he realized that those teenagers would go to hell if no one helped to "save" them. This is the result.

The original 1962 version is shown on top, measuring in at 8" x 5.5." (There is also a slightly smaller 5" x 3.5" version from 1962, but I don't have one.) The other two are the 1972 and 2005 revisions.

The original was redrawn in 1972 to fit into the smaller format, and some changes were made to update changing styles. For instance, instead of a frat boy, the 1972 version has a 1950s beatnik for some crazy reason. I think it's safe to say that Jack Chick didn't exactly have his finger on the pulse of youth culture.

Other than that, A Demon's Nightmare has changed very little between 1962 and today. Unlike Why No Revival?, it has never gone out of print. You can read the current incarnation here:

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0004/0004_01.asp

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Toadvine posted:

Edit: I went on a Baptist mission trip in middle school where they informed us that those not saved through circumstance (rather than by choice) still go to hell and their damnation is my fault for not being a more perfect missionary for the Lord. Other churches I assume have different takes on it

Yeah, the Baptist Convention doesn't actually have any central authority or doctrine, so basically a church can sign up as Baptist and do whatever. Baptists teachings can vary wildly from town to town, pastor to pastor.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

afaik the holy trinity was pushed by the church to ease the transition/conversion from polytheistic heathen religions to christianity.

e: in reference to some post I got sidetracked whatever

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Initiate TACTIC *28

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Sunday school taught me that every person who was alive before Jesus went to hell. Sunday school also taught me that athiests hate music.
Isn't there some very specific list of people who didn't go to hell for some flavors of Christianity? It's like, Moses, Elijah, everybody else a little kid would be mad about hearing went to hell...

e: and yes Elijah only made the list because I'm a BEAR WITNESS

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It owns we have our own Professor of Chick Tract Studies on SA, this thread is far more interesting than I thought it'd be

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Code Jockey posted:

It owns we have our own Professor of Chick Tract Studies on SA, this thread is far more interesting than I thought it'd be

Having grown up with gallon ziplock bags of chick tracts and having read every one of them, this thread makes me nostalgic and pleases me. I am glad there is a connoisseur of Chick tracts on something awful.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I have a soft spot for Jack Chick because he did what he loved (cartooning, condemning) in the face of overwhelming sin surrounding him. I was introduced to Chick Tracts as a youngster when I would reliably get a few in my pillow case every Halloween. When the candy was gone I could still get a laugh out of the overblown message of imminent damnation and razor thin path to salvation.

what separates him in my mind from more hateful members of religious communities is his commitment to educating and potentially saving those who are lost rather than simply shaming and denouncing them. That and his cute depictions of heathen intellectuals.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Reading darkest dungeons as a young tween convinced me to become an agnostic which later developed into atheism, so that backfired pretty hard.

This confirms what I also suspected about Chick and evangelicals in general. They were a lot less friendly to minorities in the 60's through 80's until overt racism became social suicide. Then they started taking credit for racial emancipation!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Last Call (1963). This is a transitional point for Jack Chick, as it's more of a text-heavy book than a comic style tract. Although it's essentially the same size as the large versions of Why No Revival? and A Demon's Nightmare, the page length is doubled.

It isn't generally considered to be a tract these days, but that's mainly because the size was never reduced to the more common 2.75" x 5" modern format.

Of all the early printed material from Jack Chick, this is among the easiest to find, probably because it seems more like a book than some flimsy religious comic book.

Here are signs of things to come from Chick's original publisher/ distributor:

There would be one more big one before Jack embraced the DIY spirit and decided to do it all himself:

Coming Next: This Was Your Life

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Woah woah woah, hold up. Boycott carrots?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Hellsau posted:

Woah woah woah, hold up. Boycott carrots?

Because carrots are the devil's favorite food. As a famous witchsmeller once read from Jerome's appendix to the Apocrypha: "Thou shalt not eat of the fruit of the tree that is know to thee as the carrot tree."

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Man, forget "before Jesus," I'm not sure Jack Chick believes ANYONE was saved before the King James Version was created -- which is how the True Christians broke the yoke the evil Papacy had on them.

e: The historical Chick tracts are fascinating. He really knew how to plug in to the big conservative fears of every era.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 26, 2016

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This Was Your Life (1964).

This is the big one. Over 100 million copies have been distributed in over 100 different languages over the past 52 years. This was originally aimed at prisoners, and is the first tract to focus on absolving sin simply by accepting Jesus Christ. This sets the tone for every single Chick tract that follows.

The top left is the 8" x 5.5" version, the last of the Chick tracts published in that size. Underneath that is the rare 1969 standard-sized version. At the bottom is the ultra-rare version published by "Afro-American Gospel Publications," whose logo and address looks awful similar to the Chick Publications logo at that time. Those on the right are also extremely rare, 3.5" x 5" rather than the standard size.

As mentioned, this was published in tens of different languages, and over the years there were quite a few variations in the art to appeal to different ethnic groups. I might move on to later tracts and add to this one later. Beyond the differences in art, it is super simple, which is probably why it has been printed more than any other tract.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 26, 2016

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
He's resting comfortably in Hell with Ted Kennedy and Amy Winehouse bless him and his works they will live on forever I love you Jack Chick.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Brilliant.

Along the same lines, a couple autumns ago, I got bored and wanted to try "mashing up" the Wu-Tang with Chick. (I think I also missed an appropriate Photoshop Phriday thread by about a week. :argh: )

I'd forgotten about the mashup until a friend asked about it this week, so now I'm finally putting up here for SA to enjoy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fullhouse posted:

goons already poo poo on xkcd constantly so I don't think that's true

Jack Chick tracks are unironically more entertaining and better drawn that xkcd garbage

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ElGroucho posted:

Jack Chick tracks are unironically more entertaining and better drawn that xkcd garbage

Speak it louder, brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I made this for my brother: