Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
WHAT IS THIS GAME/SERIES?

I think it's safe to say that everyone has at least heard of The Blair Witch Project by now. The 1999 horror movie paved the way for the found-footage movie trend, filled with atmosphere and shaky-cam, and it has remained popular enough to warrant a pretty high-profile 2016 sequel. This series is made up of three games, each one developed by different companies: Rustin Parr, The Legend of Coffin Rock, and The Elly Kedward Tale. The plan is to play through the whole series, if everyone's on board with that idea. The trilogy is a semi-sequel to Nocturne, the game that first utilized the engine that this one uses. Only characters and a bit of backstory carry over, as far as we can tell, so starting here should be fine.

This series plays a lot like the older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, with "tank" controls and fixed camera angles. The combat system is a HUGE step up, though, as you can walk and run as you attack, and you can aim at different parts of an enemy's body. I thought we were starting a really crappy game, but I'm personally extremely excited about this one.

WHO'S PLAYING?

Amy and Peter are back in the gaming chairs for this one. Amy had these games when she was younger, and we figured it was time to revisit them. What better time than Halloween, AND when a new movie in the series is so new?

SPOILER POLICY

Since this seems to be a story-oriented game, let's keep spoilers to a minimum and tagged as such. Thanks in advance, and as always, we hope you enjoy! :-D

Part 1: GAME OF THE YEAR
Part 2: Pork loins
Part 3: Can you go to hell?
Part 4: Schoolmarm
Part 5: HEY, WHAT'S UP?!
Part 6: I'm Harry Potter now?
Part 7: Stupid amount of reading
Part 8: I prefer the naked man
Part 9: What the hell is this are you?
Part 10: STOP!
Part 11: Dangerous boy (VOLUME 1 FINALE!)

Part 1: I was cans
Part 2: We're all mute
Part 3: Chicken experiments
Part 4: We are dead men!
Part 5: Oh, that's Coffin Rock! (VOLUME 2 FINALE!)

Part 1: Nothing but talking
Part 2: How do you drop things?
Part 3: Music and wolf
Part 4: Is it a weapon?
Part 5: Bag of disease
Part 6: She just has bones stuck in her
Part 7: The most dangerous bridge in gaming
Part 8 (FINALE!): The light of God

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a pretty excellent community theater simulator, what with how few people hit their marks on the first try.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just as a bit of a clarification only Rustin Parr is a sequel to Nocturne, the other two games weren't made by Terminal Reality so they just ignored TR making Blair Witch part of Nocturne canon.

I need to get around to playing Nocturne, I always heard it was the best Hellboy game we ever got.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Ditchard
Jun 28, 2008
Nocturne is legit one of my favorite PC games. The atmosphere and ideas behind it are fantastic. I was on board with the mixing of the games from the get go. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, as I lost my discs long ago and still think about the Blair Witch games at times.

Accordion Man posted:

Just as a bit of a clarification only Rustin Parr is a sequel to Nocturne, the other two games weren't made by Terminal Reality so they just ignored TR making Blair Witch part of Nocturne canon.

I need to get around to playing Nocturne, I always heard it was the best Hellboy game we ever got.

You really should play it. It's pretty difficult to get the hang of in this "modern day" due to the controls and what not, but once the plot starts it's all good. In the same vein of game, the Men in Black PC game was pretty fun too. I'm not sure how difficult Nocturne is to get up and running on a modern system, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

I watched a few YouTube videos of Nocturne, and I definitely want to pick it up. I can't believe I missed these games.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Just a few minutes in. OH MAN these cloth physics. I'm in love.

Ditchard
Jun 28, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

I watched a few YouTube videos of Nocturne, and I definitely want to pick it up. I can't believe I missed these games.

I can't stress enough how good it is. The characters and settings really sell the game. A lot of people missed on Nocturne and by extension the Blair Witch games. They didn't have much in the way of advertising. I only came upon Nocturne by chance myself. When I was 14 it honestly was the case that sold me on the game. It was pretty cool that after so many years TR kept Nocturne in mind with the second Blair Witch game and even BloodRayne, which has ties to plots from Nocturne.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I am already adoring this game that only nominally has to do with Blair Witch. :allears:

Also the new Blair Witch movie kinda blows but that's Hollywood horror in general, the big climax I thought was neat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ditchard posted:

I can't stress enough how good it is. The characters and settings really sell the game. A lot of people missed on Nocturne and by extension the Blair Witch games. They didn't have much in the way of advertising. I only came upon Nocturne by chance myself. When I was 14 it honestly was the case that sold me on the game. It was pretty cool that after so many years TR kept Nocturne in mind with the second Blair Witch game and even BloodRayne, which has ties to plots from Nocturne.
I remember reading that for years TR really wanted to make a proper Nocturne 2 but they became a shovelware dev and the Norman Reedus Walking Dead Game and Kinect Star Wars ended them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pedrovay2003 posted:

Nocturne has some utterly fantastic b-movie/comic book style ideas but the gameplay is kind of a hard sell now. Still, if you can stomach the Blair Witch games, it could be a pretty good palate cleanser.

edit: Think you could raise the gamma a bit? I know it's supposed to be dark but at times it's difficult to see anything.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 26, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Think you could raise the gamma a bit? I know it's supposed to be dark but at times it's difficult to see anything.

Yeah, we can do that; I apologize, I think my TV is brighter than normal, so I didn't notice during gameplay. We'll have to do it in Premiere for part 2, but we'll do it in the actual game for everything after that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So I might be remembering this wrong but I think the bit about the missing kids and the killer acting on the Witch's orders was the premise for Blair Witch Project?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Thesaya posted:

So I might be remembering this wrong but I think the bit about the missing kids and the killer acting on the Witch's orders was the premise for Blair Witch Project?
Yeah, its a part of the movie's backstory and ties into the ending where it's strongly implied Parr's ghost murders the two surviving protagonists.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 26, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why.

Why would somebody do this.

Edit: Please get a pic of the 'Spook-House' personnel. That pic was too glorious for this world.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 26, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Just beyond this door is a melee weapon, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I usually watch the videos done by other people on that channel, but since you guys are doing the Blair Witch, I decided to watch this video about the movie. It's... an interesting theory.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well this is just goddamned magical.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Was that... was that naked corpse boobs on that bulletin board in the spookhouse? What the what?

Also, see my post in the Ring thread for my feelings on Blair Witch. The original movie was positively brilliant and though I haven't seen the new movie I can basically guarantee you it missed the point completely. Original movie spoilers: Nothing supernatural happened in the original movie. There is a perfectly mundane explanation for every event, but the atmosphere and characters' reactions force your brain to stop even trying to reason about things and just accept the characters' POV that there's spooky things stalking them. But you can explain everything logically with no stretching at all if you pause and take a breath before reanalyzing it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, see my post in the Ring thread for my feelings on Blair Witch. The original movie was positively brilliant and though I haven't seen the new movie I can basically guarantee you it missed the point completely. Original movie spoilers: Nothing supernatural happened in the original movie. There is a perfectly mundane explanation for every event, but the atmosphere and characters' reactions force your brain to stop even trying to reason about things and just accept the characters' POV that there's spooky things stalking them. But you can explain everything logically with no stretching at all if you pause and take a breath before reanalyzing it.

Link? Or is it just a restatement of the above theory? I love theories like this, especially about horror movies.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
The first game in this trilogy has an LP on the archive and I've always wondered what the other two are like, so this should be interesting, count me in. Though I may just skim the videos for Rustin Parr, I rewatched the other LP recently so it's all pretty fresh in my mind.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

GirlCalledBob posted:

The first game in this trilogy has an LP on the archive and I've always wondered what the other two are like, so this should be interesting, count me in. Though I may just skim the videos for Rustin Parr, I rewatched the other LP recently so it's all pretty fresh in my mind.

Blister's other Blair Witch LPs aren't on the archive but you can find them here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Nocturne has some utterly fantastic b-movie/comic book style ideas but the gameplay is kind of a hard sell now. Still, if you can stomach the Blair Witch games, it could be a pretty good palate cleanser.

I tried playing Nocturne recently, and as cool as the setup was I had a hard time getting into the awkward control scheme and lack of direction.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

not lame! posted:

Blister's other Blair Witch LPs aren't on the archive but you can find them here.

In hindsight that is a place I should have looked, considering that's where the first one is hosted. Thanks for the info!

I'll still be checking out the videos in this LP though, 'cause watching people go through a thing blind is always entertaining.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

White Coke posted:

Link? Or is it just a restatement of the above theory? I love theories like this, especially about horror movies.

here's a quote

Blair Witch is a really good example of a horror film that implies supernatural things but has perfectly reasonable non-supernatural explanations. Its sequels sucked rear end too. Consider that in Blair Witch (spoilers, there's probably someone who hasn't seen it somewhere) there's creepy poo poo all over the woods, but the only evidence they have of "spooky things" prior to finding the house is sounds coming from off-camera. Those could easily be anything from deer knocking over rocks to one of the friends sneaking off to gently caress with them. Then a friend disappears. Again, spooky, but maybe he just left to gently caress with them? Then they get to the house and the guy with the camera sees his friend standing in the corner and then falls over. OK, maybe an evil witch or maybe his friend snuck off to gently caress with them and then decided to take a piss in the corner? Meanwhile the guy with the camera just fell down and lost the camera. The end."

The fact that you still buy the premise and freak the hell out despite there being no real support for the premise is all down to framing and presentation. Something a game like this doesn't seem to understand at all, opting to try every spooky thing they can think of in the hope of scaring you rather than building atmosphere first and then adding in the bare minimum of spooky stuff to sell you on the supernatural aspect. poo poo, Ringu has very few nighttime scenes at all and yet this game is pitch black 80% of the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They didn't really go for a BWP movie sequel/tribute, they just wanted to cash in on the name for their survival "horror" sequel to Nocturne. I don't think it'd be a spoiler to say that the games aren't exactly scary and weren't even then.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anilEhilated posted:

They didn't really go for a BWP movie sequel/tribute, they just wanted to cash in on the name for their survival "horror" sequel to Nocturne. I don't think it'd be a spoiler to say that the games aren't exactly scary and weren't even then.

yeah, i know these games didn't even attempt to really follow the tone of the movie at all. when i said "sequels", i meant made-for-tv poo poo like Book of Shadows. i assume the new movie also misses the point i described above just as badly.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

yeah, i know these games didn't even attempt to really follow the tone of the movie at all. when i said "sequels", i meant made-for-tv poo poo like Book of Shadows. i assume the new movie also misses the point i described above just as badly.

Haven't seen the movie myself, but according to a friend of mine it's full-on supernatural weirdness. Though regarding your theory, what about the bloody teeth and chunk of meat (was it a tongue? I forget) they find?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Haven't seen the movie myself, but according to a friend of mine it's full-on supernatural weirdness. Though regarding your theory, what about the bloody teeth and chunk of meat (was it a tongue? I forget) they find?

i mean, it's some bloody teeth and a chunk of meat. it's spooky, but there's all sorts of ways some random bits of a dead thing could be laying around the forest. animals murder each other all the time, we kill animals, animals kill us. it only seems like the work of a supernatural force if you are already looking for signs of a supernatural force.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I listened to a podcast recently with the director/creator of Blair Witch and it was really cool how he explains it all came together and what it was about. It is meant to be a spooky film of a supernatural Witch loving with some teens though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spudd posted:

I listened to a podcast recently with the director/creator of Blair Witch and it was really cool how he explains it all came together and what it was about. It is meant to be a spooky film of a supernatural Witch loving with some teens though.

Death of the author my friend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Death of the author my friend.

The Blair Witch killed him too?

Wow, your theory is on shakier ground than I thought.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That sound effect you recognized was from Starcraft, I think.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I played a demo for one of these like 15 years ago, this is gonna be awesome! Legit excited :dance:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chiasaur11 posted:

The Blair Witch killed him too?

Wow, your theory is on shakier ground than I thought.

no, no, rustin parr killed him

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

That sound effect you recognized was from Starcraft, I think.

THAT WAS IT! Holy crap, I can finally sleep tonight! Now, was that some kind of free sound effect, or did someone just outright take it?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

THAT WAS IT! Holy crap, I can finally sleep tonight! Now, was that some kind of free sound effect, or did someone just outright take it?

A lot of sound effects come from royalty free libraries. So that's probably where it came from.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Nocturne was so cool. I bought it as a kid just based on the box art and loved that you were a G man with monster buddies. Never played Rustin Parr so I'm looking forward to this.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! We had to do some crazy finagling to get this to work well, but it seems like we've hit the magic numbers! Also, holy crap, I love this game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This game is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The game is fantastic. So glad you got your first taste of its idea of guiding the player - it's going to get much, much worse.

• Locked thread