Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Hafl posted:

There's nothing near the fresh start point that requires swimming as far as I know. The cache near brother T'Shober is pretty much essential for new parties though, since it has the first good weapon and armor you're likely to find. Much less essential for imported characters who already have some late midgame equipment, but it's still very nice. If you approach the bridge crossing from New City side, then follow the river to the left and explore all the forest there, you should find it.

Also, from observation, swimming is much less dependent on total stamina than you'd think. With equal swimming skill, a stamina 3000 character can't swim much farther than stamina 100 character. I guess swimming takes a slightly randomized percentage of your stamina for each tile, roughly 100% at zero skill and roughly 10% at 100 skill.

I might have been thinking of a different area then, it's been a long time. It probably says something about the T'Shober cache that I was able to accurately recall it after all these years.

Also, I wasn't talking about max stamina there, but rather the fact that Tink's Swimming skill is only at about half of the rest of the party's, and would have a much larger stamina drain per tile as a result. There are ways around it, but it's still going to be rather inconvenient for longer swims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Did we hear anything about this guy or his moonstone? Seems important.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Did we hear anything about this guy or his moonstone? Seems important.

Phoonzang is very important, yes. He's talked about a lot in the game's backstory in the manual, but he also comes up a lot in the game. The moonstone is just a key to access an area in Munkarahma.

In brief, the manual's backstory explains that there's a huge space opera setting at work here that nevertheless coexists with magic. There are three main powers in the galaxy that are of concern here. The Imperial Umpani Federation is militaristic, honorable, and command an impressive empire and trade network. Their archenemies are the T'Rang Empire, a secretive and powerful empire that does not take kindly to intruders but can get you or do for you anything you desire... for a price. The T'Rang have recently taken a new client, however, the mysterious Dark Savant. Little is known about the Dark Savant beyond that he is wealthy, commands a legion of immensely powerful robots known as the Kui'Sa'Ka, and is obsessed with the galaxy's ancient past. Specifically, the myth of Guardia.

According to galactic legend, in ages past the godlike philosopher-sorcerer Phoonzang discovered the secrets of eternal life and creating life itself. From nothing he created entire worlds, and he encoded his knowledge and power into a crystal orb known as the Astral Dominae. To ensure that only a worthy successor to his work would be able to find and wield the Astral Dominae, Phoonzang created a new world and filled it with races and monsters to protect it: the planet Guardia (yes, making its natives the Guardians). Then the Cosmic Lords decided that no mortal should have such power and erased Guardia from the galaxy, leaving the world, Phoonzang, and the Astral Dominae to fall into folklore and myth where they have remained until quite recently.

Guardia still existed, the Cosmic Lords simply used the Cosmic Forge to ensure none would ever find it. But when the Forge was stolen from the Cosmic Circle by Xorphitus and the Bane King, Guardia was no longer hidden and a starship soon discovered the world. The Umpani, T'Rang, and Dark Savant immediately descended upon the world to search for the Astral Dominae and take it for themselves. To this end, the Dark Savant kidnapped a young woman named Vi Domina, believed by the Dark Savant to be the only living descendant of Phoonzang himself and the key to finding the Astral Dominae.

This is where the party comes in, a wild card entering the plot courtesy of the Cosmic Lords' servant Altheides, the dragon Bela, or sheer accident depending on which ending if any you took to Bane.

Your ultimate goal in Crusaders is to obtain the Astral Dominae. It will not be easy.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 23

Well, since we are back in the New City, let's fix some issues. Get some things done.

Maybe one of these things will work!

Hmm.
They are unassailable!!

Dangit! It is hard to identify!

And also unusable!

I think we had done this before. This one does not work for this.

And it led to a PRETTY DECENT level!

Cannot do anything.

But trying with more spellpoints...
What.

What???
Well, this is unexpected.

Maybe we can withdraw some money with these.

Hmm.

Magic works so well here when fingers are not good enough.
Or the party strong enough.

Aw yeah.

Nothing here though. It is empty.
But there is the vault. That is promising.

Screw your lockedness, door.

Oh what the hell. EMPTY? Unfair.

Well.
That is SLIGHTLY disappointing.
Make that very disapointing. A vault. WITH A PENNY.

HMM..
There MIGHT Bbe more than meets the eyes.

And so there was. A button is to be pushed.

And treasure is revealed!

Well, spells are the way to go!

But good as they are, they can fail.

Dang.

... Well
THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.
A corpse. In the bank.
What the hell.

Goddamnit this is gross.

OH. NO.
NO.

Well poo poo.

Let's try that again, but with less death this time.

Not good.

Once again.

Well, no deaths, but everyone is disgusted beyond words.

This one is also closed. Let's see if we can figure something out.

Welp.
That ought to have worked.
BUt did not

Maybe a quick dip in the ocean will help calm the party's spirits, and alleviate the disgust.

Well, the fishies are aggressive. Not fun.

And everyone is still nauseated.

Well, let's see if we can get in here.

Hmm...
Maybe this.

Let's try this.

Yes! This works!

Hmmmm!

Petrified, eh?

Hmm.
Maybe it is! But no way of knowing at the moment.

Mural and heads, eh?

Oh, an interactive mural!

Interesting!

There probably is!

Time works the same way?

Oh, not in a line.

Magic, clearly.

Hm.

I do not think we should mess around with this just yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Don't worry, you won't need anything in the museum until quite a bit later in the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's a shame there's no updated version of Wizardry VII where more of this stuff is conveyed with graphics rather than having to remember specific squares and their description.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
A new modern remake of 1-5 or even 1-7 of the series would be fantastic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unfortunately, SirTech no longer exists (Wizardry 8 was made by an entirely different company and just barely got made at all) and I'm not sure what happened to the rights after that - I've read some places that they ended up with a Japanese company that's made roguelikes under the Wizardry name, others that the rights are in legal limbo. So chances are... slim.

Don't worry about the museum, Luisfe. It has nothing you need for a long time - one of the map pieces you can find has the solution to the twisted heads, but it's guarding something you can't use right now and won't need for a very long time. The Wand Majestik and something else in there are needed for the Sphinx Mountains near Ukpyr, but you need Cure Disease for one of the game's little gently caress yous.

For now, you should be doing Orkogre Castle and Munkarahma, that moonstone opens up the main dungeon in Munkarahma itself (hint: look for another statue of Phoonzang).

Statues of Phoonzang are always worth investigating. The big theme of Crusaders is destiny versus free will. Phoonzang created Guardia, and prepared for someone else discovering the planet and seeking the Astral Dominae with uncanny precision. The question that's rarely directly raised, but is always bubbling under the surface when the narrator kicks in, is whether Phoonzang simply anticipated events and left signposts to guide the way, or whether this was all preordained long ago.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Credit cards? Huh. I'd expect them to help with lock-picking or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a use for them MUCH later in the game. You miss nothing by dropping them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Wizardry 8 was still a Sir-Tech game, it was just made by the Canadian branch of the company which survived for a bit longer than the US branch. And I cannot express how infinitely sad I am that they didn't survive any longer, because while all of the older games had fun ideas, but always felt so lethargic to me, Wizardry 8 was genuinely good and did a lot of poo poo that I haven't seen in many, if any, other games.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

PurpleXVI posted:

Wizardry 8 was still a Sir-Tech game, it was just made by the Canadian branch of the company which survived for a bit longer than the US branch. And I cannot express how infinitely sad I am that they didn't survive any longer, because while all of the older games had fun ideas, but always felt so lethargic to me, Wizardry 8 was genuinely good and did a lot of poo poo that I haven't seen in many, if any, other games.

Wizardry 8 is an amazingly good game that still holds up today, a decade after it was released.

The endgame and that one castle, though, is clearly some weirdo's personal fantasy and it's pretty damned offputting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FairGame posted:

Wizardry 8 is an amazingly good game that still holds up today, a decade after it was released.

The endgame and that one castle, though, is clearly some weirdo's personal fantasy and it's pretty damned offputting.

I can see the, uh, stuff involving the Rapax demon queen bit as being off-putting. But the actual endgame seems pretty mild? Are you thinking of the actual bit at the Cosmic Circle or the climb up Ascension Peak?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Fortunately, if you know the triggers to certain events, the demon queen thing can be skipped in it's entirety. Still have to deal with the entire rest of the castle though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

Fortunately, if you know the triggers to certain events, the demon queen thing can be skipped in it's entirety. Still have to deal with the entire rest of the castle though.

The castle can occasionally be annoying to play through because of the multi-level battles that the game really wasn't made to deal with, but I don't remember anything particularly objectionable about it aside from that. Also as odd as the demon queen sequence is, I have to admit that I always played through with it, because getting to kill her at the end is some good XP and occasionally some nice drops on top of it. Plus it's a game where the combat is almost always fun(aforementioned multi-level battles aside), so a boss battle wasn't something I'd refuse a chance for.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

The castle can occasionally be annoying to play through because of the multi-level battles that the game really wasn't made to deal with, but I don't remember anything particularly objectionable about it aside from that. Also as odd as the demon queen sequence is, I have to admit that I always played through with it, because getting to kill her at the end is some good XP and occasionally some nice drops on top of it. Plus it's a game where the combat is almost always fun(aforementioned multi-level battles aside), so a boss battle wasn't something I'd refuse a chance for.

Oh, you can still very much fight her, you don't need to go through the sequence to do that; it's just that if you do the bypass you don't get the other benefit of doing it, meaning the castle can become a huge slog.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

Oh, you can still very much fight her, you don't need to go through the sequence to do that; it's just that if you do the bypass you don't get the other benefit of doing it, meaning the castle can become a huge slog.

You usually have to murder your way through most of the castle anyway. Or at least I always did. Lots of murder.

If you do the bypass, though, what happens at the Rapax encampment at Ascension Peak? Does that encounter roll along like usual?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

You usually have to murder your way through most of the castle anyway. Or at least I always did. Lots of murder.

If you do the bypass, though, what happens at the Rapax encampment at Ascension Peak? Does that encounter roll along like usual?

Don't recall all that well, but I want to say yes, for the most part.

I mean, they're there, but I don't recall if there's any dialogue or if goes straight to the fighting.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 24

Well nothing to be done here just yet.
So let's head back.

Goodbye New City. Will come back soon. I guess.

Let's see how far we can get via swimming

Floaters!

But if they are nauseous... THey will drown. That is not good.

Not a particularly good level up, but she COULD become a ninja soon, if needed.

Let's reroll that.

Even before that, she could be a ninja.
I guess that comes from Valkyrie having relatively high stat rqeuirements.

Let's remove the nausea.

And back to trying to swim.

That was not very far.

Trying again, with the stamina spell.

Bah.

Let's continue to explore.

Fishies!

Using the fight to actually rest. Let's see.

That was NOT a terrible level, but it is not saved there.

And we got to a new map, but...

No shore in sight. Oh well.

Let's try something.

That something actually worked. Pretty well, all things considered.

Let's continue.

Back to Monk City.

Let's see what is there.

Ah! An statue!

Big ol statue, yes.

Maybe the eyes are gems.

Hmm.

Let's use the moonstone here. Maybe it will have an effect.

That reminds me of Dragon Quest.

Maybe we should meet that munk.

We can swim!

But first, a rest.

There is a chest!

Let's open it.

Hmm!

That is a PRETTY DECENT level!

Let's identify this.

Monmoon has the identify spell, so let's see.

What?

WHAT?
Ok, what.

Uhh.
I am honestly kind of baffled.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Try equipping it. White bears are good at swimming. Much better than cats.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Try equipping it. White bears are good at swimming. Much better than cats.

I agree! If we're not going to touch those magic balls any time soon, we should at least try on that rubber :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I thought the moonstone opened the Lost Temple by holding it up to the statue. Shows how long it's been since I've played Crusaders, I guess.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
maybe it does, at night? It is a moon stone, after all. Will have to try again.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
For what it's worth, the fairy ninja thing won't come up for a good long while, and even then it's still more of a thing for when you're preparing to port to 8.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder if somebody lost their favorite toy?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Rubber White Bear? Sounds like a toy yeah, but who knows.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
If memory serves, that polar bear can be invoked for a little swimming boost as well. Might be useful for Tinklee (who is probably best off remaining a valkyrie).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 25

Let's continue.

Need a rest after all that swimming.

This might be important!

Well, if not, there should be some drugs!

Is the munk gonna be aggressive?

Dang.

Uhh..
What?
that sounds rather bad!

Potions! Yes! I guess.

Yeah, he makes potions.

The land of dreams, eh?

First time we hear of it isn't it? Hmm.

Let's see what he has to sell.

Cherry bomb!

Uh, Superman potion?
What?

Huh. That is special. Let's see. That may be important! Or useless.

Crushed widows is expensive, huh.

Well that was a thing.

Looong hallway.

A mysterious button!

Hmm, it is a nice shortcut. Ought to be useful.

Hm.
This would have been useful BEFORE!

A wading pool!

We could have practiced in here!

Let's continue exploring.

Opening one of these.

Maybe we can use these coins in these goblets s as well

Nope.

Hmm....

This spindle... Let's leave it alone for now!

A stone bean! That sounds like a thing to use.

It is a violent one!

Hmm.. Let's use it in the goblet!

A second chalice! There must be a second bean.

And so it was.

A third one.

This encounter took a while but since I had not saved in a while...

No resetting! It was a success.

More chalices.

And something different!

Stairs!

4 Beans found. Matching 4 chalices... Hmm...

4 chalices...

Clearly after plonking them, we should activate this.

Sure.

This is good, yes?

Welp/

let's reload!
And explore first.

Clearly a dungeony area.

There was nothing in it.
Let's rest since we know that will cause damage.

DOWN THEY GO.

And there is nothing.

But the chalices appeared again.

And the beans are in their original spots...

HMM...

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I believe one of the rewards for solving this bit of trial-and-error is a path to the apothecary and wading pool without having to grind your swimming up to 40~50 or so first, but it's been so long I can't quite recall.

And yeah, the pool's quite handy when you haven't already grinded your team up to 80+ swimming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! Are you meant to play Mastermind by putting the beans in the right order?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

Oh God I hope not, that would be an excruciatingly painful execution of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh God I hope not, that would be an excruciatingly painful execution of it.

That's exactly what this is, and the reward is so not worth it. Just skip it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Glazius posted:

Yes, and I believe the solution is partially determined by your first attempt, meaning that it is impossible to accidently hit the solution the first time (or to save scum or use the solution that worked in a previous game).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's been a while but I think the bean-and-cups puzzle is critical path for Munkharama.

it's also not that bad given how close everything is and how quick save/reload goes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

FairGame posted:

It's been a while but I think the bean-and-cups puzzle is critical path for Munkharama.

it's also not that bad given how close everything is and how quick save/reload goes.

All that it does is to open a door to the area Luisfe already swam to, with the Apothecary, Rubber Bear and practice pool, as Unoriginal One said. Nothing else.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updae 26

Well, let's continue! There are things to be done.

You all said to not to.
But why not? You already spoiled that it is just a shortcut or opening to the apothecary.

One of them is there...

And eventually...

Victoly!

Not enough, it took some time to do this, it was mindless but eh.

But a reason to do this... is because it triggers a level on Tinklee.

BUt unfortunately, it was ALWAYS the same level, or at least it was the 3 times I repeated this.

Yeeahh.

let's continue.

ANNOTATED them but I do not think I will need that information anymore.

Well, let's drop another coin. Sure, why not.

What a ripoff! There is nothing!

Another one!

At least there is a lever thing.

And the last one.

Last one!

I hope that there is something good behind. Or at least more exploration.

Well it is a lever switch.

Well, it opened a wall into an archway thing, or doorway.

Let's see what is around here

This is a scripted encounter.
And it is a surprisingly dangerous encounter! The munk ninjas hit quite hard.

That's too many ninjas!

Too dangerous! Particularly for an ill-rested party.

Yeaah. Dangerous!!!

So let's be prepared. Interesting that the game has both random encounters AND randomized scripted ones.

yEEEEaaaaah no.

What the hell are Gorn doing here?

Dang!

They have a bunch of spells to use.

And that is more effective from the opposing parties than when cast by the party, dangit.

That, for example.

What? One of them is not even TOUCHED?

Lots of xp.

But that is very little gold!

All in al, yeah, a pretty hard scripted encounters.
We are facing goddamn ninjas.

That deserves a rest.

The Gran Melange? That is the spice in Dune.

Uh.
Well now.
We were asked about this.

This
This is an opium den isnt it.

Drugs!

Druuuugs?

Friend or foe?

Uhh... Drugs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is a confusing and trippy sidequest. If you're here, and you're not simply looking to get high, you're looking to walk the land of dreams.

This sidequest area is genuinely about reaching enlightenment while on a drug trip.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Let's postpone saving the world to get high. Surely this cannot go badly.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
The loot options for this bit are good enough to save before the end and see what's best for one's party, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Let's postpone saving the world to get high. Surely this cannot go badly.

You're assuming that saving the world and getting high are distinct things.