Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
as a kid i loved sonic
then i replayed the trilogy and hated it
now i plyed it and im ok with it its fun if you dont go completionist and just bounce around joyfuly

new sonic mania stage and i like the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIVo6M0Pdg

i dont know if sonic mania will solve most of the issues inherent with sonic gameplay, but hopefully it's gonna be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moderate expectations. Generations was good but whether it was Lightning in a bottle has to be seen.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im actually more psyched about the other project that looked like generations 2, because classic sonic trilogy is not THAT good, and generations modern sonic was a great reflex challenge and speedrun game. Generations classic sonic was fun for moments but it felt really really off

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Played Sonic CD PC for the first time this year and it's my favorite sonic now.

I'm excited for mania for sure but I'm anticipating the new modern/classic sonic game way more.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i should give CD another go sometime. Trying to go 100% on every sonic game every time i played them made me loathe them a lot, but since I became the chill gamer, i enjoyed them a lot more.
i recall cd having a lot of really strange design in some stages. not as a good or bad thing, just out of the norm.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sonic Mania looks cool and hopefully the other new one will be as good as Generations

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Sonic was never as pure as Mario. Genesis kids got screwed

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Classic gens felt off to me too and I never had fun replaying the levels. Modern gens + the Unleashed Project though? I can play those levels all day long trying to get better.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
classic gens had a thing that really really bothered me that i dont know to describe other than as "tiering" or "thresholds" of speed.
like, if you were going between certain speeds and ran up say a quarter pipe, the game seems like it would launch you a set amount of units. i mean, i guess its fine, since you can more tightly control level design and the flow of paths, but i felt it artificial as hell

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

sonicuck :smugbird::smugmrgw:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhHa7ph5GLg

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

sonic and cuckles.

sonic osts ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was hugely into Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid but I revisited that game a few years ago and it's fairly sure.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

I was hugely into Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid but I revisited that game a few years ago and it's fairly sure.

They should bring chao gardens back.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i still dont understand why they never put like a chao garden app or something to link with
though it did take them like 6 years to put out chu chu rocket on phones

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

I really liked sa2 too, even the butt rock

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The first level of Adventure 2 is awesome and gets you freakin hyped but then guess what it's time to walk around in a robot or fly around a canyon collecting gem stones or whatever obnoxious crap

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sonic Mania is going to be basically Sonic CD 2 and that will be ftw

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

qnqnx posted:

Sonic Mania is going to be basically Sonic CD 2 and that will be ftw

i think theyre goign for sonic 3

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

they should change the retarded ring mechanic but i guess sonic is locked into that being its thing now because a bunch of peopel will comp;ain

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i like it a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXPS5L2BO-U

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hope those scanline filters are optional lol but drat that looks neat. i really enjoyed generations OP, and grew up playing the poo poo out of sonic 2 + sonic & knuckles, esp. the latter and i lost my mind when i found out about super sonic.

the series has some of the best music in video games rly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_4R17gYSY

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The scanlines are definitely optional

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

the only sonic games i regret playing, sonic 2006 and that weird mario party clone for the dreamcast

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sonic colors was actually really good too, didn't play lost world though so maybe they lost what hope they had

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

sonic colors was fun if a bit short

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lost World is good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lost world is really good at making you feel like a crazy person

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The first level of Adventure 2 is awesome and gets you freakin hyped but then guess what it's time to walk around in a robot or fly around a canyon collecting gem stones or whatever obnoxious crap

I feel that Sonic Team put most of the effort into the first levels of the Sonic Adventures and then skimped on the rest of the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

I feel that Sonic Team put most of the effort into the first levels of the Sonic Adventures and then skimped on the rest of the game.

the space levels at the end had cool ideas but they were a horrible mess. i kept just falling off and dying and it never felt like it was my fault lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sonic advance 1 is a really good little game, idk how i feel about 2. they made it less about platforming and more a hyperspeed autorunner, but the camera doesn't zoom out or anything so you either just know the map by heart or you have to slam on the brakes and poo poo gets real awkward

also advance 1 had this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18OaAVPECn8

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i still dont understand why they never put like a chao garden app or something to link with
though it did take them like 6 years to put out chu chu rocket on phones

The one on Sonic Advance was kewl

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

the space levels at the end had cool ideas but they were a horrible mess. i kept just falling off and dying and it never felt like it was my fault lol

I remember getting pissed off a lot on the space levels of Shadow the Hedgehog because they were too loving long lol. I had all the gamecube 3d titles.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Heroes is good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic Heroes is good

I dunno why it and Shadow have such horrid reputations lol. I replayed them 3 years ago before selling my GC and they while they had their shortcomings they were as fun as when I first played them back when I was a tween

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

shadow is like playing a fake video game from a tv show and its hard to believe its real even after youve played it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

shadow is like playing a fake video game from a tv show and its hard to believe its real even after youve played it

Gunshot sounds in the menu are badass and Shadow has a beautiful opening FMV.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Gunshot sounds in the menu are badass and Shadow has a beautiful opening FMV.

during that live stream crush40 concert this year you know i was yelling for I Am... All of Me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i was yelling for a lot of songs tho, that was so exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elf help book posted:

i was yelling for a lot of songs tho, that was so exciting

It's a great band

• Locked thread