Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree but also I'd be fuckin pissed if I had to redo that order and everyone was blaming it on me for no good reason

Yeah I definitely got the sense they were of course blaming the fuckup on him since he's a convict and of course is expendable (and they know he needs the job so he will just take it instead of taking his protests much further), and his coworker was a giant douche about the whole thing.

Anyway, the scene with the group leader was amazing and very poignant, though I still felt it paled in comparison to the dream sequence with Kerwin in S3. I am a grown-rear end man and that scene made me cry.

I really like the premise of Daniel's storyline this season, what with Daniel and the other convicts trying to move on in life and form new identities as people who are no longer in jail, to really reform. I wondered during a couple scenes if the other guys actually knew that Daniel was on death row for nearly twenty years. If they did, I'm not sure they were making the connection that Daniel is actually pretty socially stunted and extremely anxious around people, not having interacted with hardly anyone for two decades.

The show does a stellar job of giving you the impression that Daniel is so broken, he could explode at any time. It lends a tension to all the scenes where he's interacting with new people who don't know he's a convicted murderer who was on DR, as if they could say something to trigger him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I got the sense in e2 that Daniel's lawyer was capitulating to his bosses' faces, but in reality he intends to not let it go and keep on trying to get Daniel cleared, so we may see more of the case plot point later in the season?

And even though I guess we're still not supposed to ever know whether or not Daniel actually did murder the girl, everything he's saying seems to point to no; he even admits he basically only confessed so he could get them off his back and just end it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

androo posted:

First ep ruled, second also good, third was pretty boring.. not sure how to feel about this one. I think it makes sense as a quiet-before-the-storm sort of thing.

I liked all the Daniel stuff, the end was rough. Actually the manic-pixie-dream-girl thing is a little hard to believe.

Amantha was okay, she's getting over a lot of what kept her in arrested development by loving Meechum I guess.

Store poo poo was boring aside from Ted Jr aspect and that was still a little hard to read.

Lawyer poo poo got kinda cool at the end? But I'd almost rather we left the "what really happened" alone by now, unless it winds up being mind-blowing or something.

Idgi with the Tawney stuff so much and I'm not compelled to figure it out.

I don't even care about Tawney. She seems less compelling as a character and more like someone who can't make a decision about what she wants to do about anything.

Teddy is my second-favorite character and I really feel for him this season. Looks like his chances of reconciliation with Tawney are dwindling, he may not even have a job soon if his parents sell the tire shop, and he's just slowly unraveling which is interesting to watch and see how he handles it. I think he's attempting to do everything he can to make sure he has some kind of future.

I don't care for manic pixie dream girl and I'm of the belief that she maybe doesn't exist and none of the scenes with her are actually happening.

It ought to be interesting to see what happens with young prison boy roommate. Seems like they've introduced a new minor villain?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBuddyLee posted:

Meh nevermind, I thought it was Clayne Crawford in makeup but apparently it just looks a lot like him.

Never do drugs while viewing Rectify, kids

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBuddyLee posted:

Hah! You don't think it looks a little like Teddy in old person makeup?

...no

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

Daniel's "relationship" plot is still so terrible. Give me more scenes of him and his housemates instead of his no chemistry platonic romance

If it's platonic is it really a romance though?

Granted they are basically dating even though they both tell the other they aren't

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I felt this season has been less about everyone's emotional stakes and more about moving on. The show is "moving on," so to speak, and so are the characters. Janet and Jared, Ted Sr, Teddy and Tawnie, and most importantly, Daniel. poo poo even manic pixie dream girl is moving on. I'd say that's less true of Amantha but still true to a degree at least. Also, I'd have been disappointed if there wasn't some kind of closure to the case past Daniel admitting under duress, again, that he committed the rape and murder; we have Hanna's brother realizing that maybe Daniel wasn't guilty, and trying to atone for that despite knowing Daniel's family won't be forgiving.

I think the show has accomplished that in spades this season. I haven't watched the final episode yet, but I'm looking forward to watching it. I can't say that I haven't gotten out of this final season what I expected to get out of it, and it hasn't let me down thus far.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wide stance posted:

I can't believe how bad season 4 was. It went from the best show on TV to a sappy after school special.

Nothing interesting happened. No character development. The new characters were awful, unplausible hollywood inventions. There was even a scene where everyone happened to be watching the local tv channel when the breaking announcement occurred

The fact that I sat thru 8 episodes of complete trash shows how good seasons 1-3.

I've never seen writing quality nosedive so severely.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I think there's a lot of hyperbole in saying this season was bad, or weak.

• Locked thread