Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

Gonna have me some good friends around
Gonna have me some good times in town

The fourth and final season airs Wednesdays at 10EST on the Sundance Channel.

precision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

"To what end?" Was the line of the episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

We used to play Tonk in high school. I thought it was a forgotten card game.

precision
May 7, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

No responses after the second episode...

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it's probably gonna be the first thing I do when I get home.

precision
May 7, 2006

Every season, every actor gets more and more into their role, it's been a real joy to watch. I'm glad Bobby Dean came back, I felt like resolving the story without him would have been weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

Other than the Janet-Ted store story I thought that was fantastic. Melvin showing up was hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

Kinda bizarre that the Furbys ended up not being Daniel's.

precision
May 7, 2006

Hannah made Daniel a mixtape with Mazzy Star on it, and Daniel jams out to Cracker's "Low", which would place him going to prison around 1994, and the show taking place in 2014. Pretty sure Jared's 17 or 18.

I could have sworn Furbys were a late 80s thing and were not at all popular though. Mandela Effect strikes again:

quote:

Over 40 million Furbies were sold during the three years of its original production, with 1.8 million sold in 1998, and 14 million in 1999.

precision
May 7, 2006

androo posted:

Lawyer poo poo got kinda cool at the end? But I'd almost rather we left the "what really happened" alone by now, unless it winds up being mind-blowing or something.

I'm telling you, Melvin did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

MrBuddyLee posted:

Meh nevermind, I thought it was Clayne Crawford in makeup but apparently it just looks a lot like him.

Two timelines confirmed!

I think the deal with Tawney's patient is that she's going to mercy kill him, or at least agonize about whether she should.

precision
May 7, 2006

You don't think that's in the cards? Really? It's not a far out theory, it fits in with the exact kind of faith she's struggling with, along with the themes of the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

Yeah, that was easily one of the top 3 episodes of this entire show's run, except that I still don't much give a ding dong about the tire store plot and I resent that it's taking away from time that could be spent on the murder mystery, which HOLY poo poo just got a lot creepier (loving props to Bobby Dean and Clayne Crawford for absolutely killing it, and in Clayne's case he did it in BACK TO BACK scenes), or on Daniel hulking out because a dude jerked off in front of him.

Now I do think it's a little odd to backslide on Daniel's fear of intimacy, as in season 2 he was already out partying and loving and in season 3 there was him with Tawney. The scene of Revolutionary Girl Utena saying "I can hold you" felt completely unnecessary, because as I said we've been shown that he's not spooked about female sexuality much at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

savinhill posted:

The whole art girl plot just feels so cheesy and contrived

It feels like something straight out of an indie 90s film. That might be intentional, the show has definitely done nods to 90s culture before, but in this case whether intentional or not it's just not doing it for me either.

precision
May 7, 2006

I liked this season and the finale but I do see where blue squares is coming from. I really do feel like it's the weakest season of the 4, and the fact that McKinnon had planned for 5 seasons really showed here.

Like, it's not about "who really killed Hanna", but I definitely wanted to see more of how Trey and Paulie deal with this new information. Hell, do a season 5 that doesn't even have Daniel in it!

I also really hated the ending scene, that whole character was a mistake and if they wanted to do a romance subplot for this season they already had Tawney on deck, and if it had been her and Daniel in the field at the end it would have probably made me cry buckets.

precision
May 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

It just had almost no surprises. Everything that the first episode set up came to pass in the most unexpected expected way possible. Also, the emotional stakes for the characters just felt a lot weaker.

Like, this is a legit good criticism of the season.

precision
May 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

But....again, navelgazing is this show's entire thing.

Season 1: Daniel gets the poo poo beat out of him, falls in love with his brother's wife, performs the best scene in all television when describing a prison rape. A man kills himself for mysterious reasons. Daniel goes on a goat-stealing trip with ?Satan?

Season 4: Literally nothing happens.

Like, it almost feels like you're being obtuse or getting some sunk cost fallacy here. This season was undeniably good, but when compared to seasons 1-3? It was a real letdown. I might even be tempted to think that it got canceled before the "final fifth season" because the scripts were going downhill.

And to argue the other side a bit, you know, it's totally possible that season 4 went this way on purpose, but I think Ray McKinnon just couldn't stick the landing and went with things that are purposefully vague and overly wistful, rendering the most basic arguments against this show more valid.

Seasons 1-3 I watched every episode in rapt attention. This season, there were MANY scenes where I would check my phone or tab out and check SA because I just wasn't that involved.

Considering I'm the person who's been saying since literally day one that this is the best TV Show of All Time, you gotta admit there might be something to the fact that people felt let down.

precision
May 7, 2006

Also the quality of the navelgazing is what's in dispute here. Daniel/Kerwin scenes in season 1 were soul destroying and fascinating. Daniel having ambiguously mumblecore romance with Definitely Not Uma Thurman... not so interesting!

Ted Jr. and Amantha really owned this season though. And Bobby Dean, in his small role, was quite good. His mom too.

precision
May 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

nah it was good

Ahem:

precision posted:

This season was undeniably good

precision
May 7, 2006

I dunno, nothing in season 4 was as bad as the filler in season 2, though season 2 ended up being awesome once it got past the filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

Also, I feel like this is a solid recommendation: if you dig on this show, you may dig on musician Will Oldham, aka Palace/Palace Music/Palace Brothers/Bonnie "Prince" Billy. "The Letting Go" is the title of one of his albums.

Check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVTkUTHENg

• Locked thread