Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How bad will the Cubs lose tonight?
Close game
Blowout
View Results

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Change it to the Cleveland Cuyahogas and set the dugout on fire after every win.

That would be metal as gently caress and I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Cleveland Champions

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
The Cleveland Natives

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Cleveland Goats, for world series laughs and also so they can still chant "Let's Go Tribe"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Poque posted:

The Cleveland Goats, for world series laughs and also so they can still chant "Let's Go Tribe"
Ok, that's pretty awesome, I vote for Goats too.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Poque posted:

Those are indeed a lot of pointless animal group names

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's lame as poo poo on paper, but I kinda dig the Cleveland Municipals. I also like Cleveland Bearcats even though there isn't much of a connection to the city.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's lame as poo poo on paper, but I kinda dig the Cleveland Municipals. I also like Cleveland Bearcats even though there isn't much of a connection to the city.

Yeah if you wanted a cleveland animal connection you'd have to go with "The Cleveland Trash-Tipping Racoons" or the "Cleveland dead on the side of the highway deer".

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I am down with the Cuyahogas and the Goats both. Cleveland Whitetails if you wanted the dead-deer connection. :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Once again, with their backs to the wall, I must pull the Cubs asses out of the fire by placing upon them the coveted "Chexoid's Blessing".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Serious question: is there any actual chance the team does change its name? I'd imagine if/when they win the WS, it only further entrenches the name for quite some time.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Probably not, but I would bet on the logo changing after it gets more national attention.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd expect Chief Wahoo will probably be completely off the uniforms soon if not next year. It'll probably still be on new merchandise for some tail after that.

The name probably isn't going to change barring a radical push from people in Cleveland. How often has a major team changed their name without a relocation in recent times? The only one I can think of is the Rays, which was such a minor change from Devil Rays and I assume many people said 'Rays' anyway.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SourKraut posted:

Serious question: is there any actual chance the team does change its name? I'd imagine if/when they win the WS, it only further entrenches the name for quite some time.

It would require a change in management. I think 95% of the controversy would go away if they officially retired chief wahoo as a mascot.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Within the next few years they will need to change, having a sports team named after a race/group of people is ultimately not OK. It's not "Redskins" but yeah.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I'd expect Chief Wahoo will probably be completely off the uniforms soon if not next year. It'll probably still be on new merchandise for some tail after that.

The name probably isn't going to change barring a radical push from people in Cleveland. How often has a major team changed their name without a relocation in recent times? The only one I can think of is the Rays, which was such a minor change from Devil Rays and I assume many people said 'Rays' anyway.
I think the last one I can remember are the Bullets -> Wizards in the late 90s.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So in light of this conversation I went to wikipedia to see how my memory was. Look at this bullshit quote.

"MLB Commissioner Bud Selig says that he has never received a complaint about the logo."

Give me a goddamned break. There have been protests since the 70s over it, lawsuits etc...

With those kinds of attitudes nothing will change.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

hanales posted:

So in light of this conversation I went to wikipedia to see how my memory was. Look at this bullshit quote.

"MLB Commissioner Bud Selig says that he has never received a complaint about the logo."

Give me a goddamned break. There have been protests since the 70s over it, lawsuits etc...

With those kinds of attitudes nothing will change.

He never received a complaint because someone else opened his mail and threw them out before giving the rest to him. At least Manfred said he's going to talk to Dolan about it, so hopefully it'll be the end of Wahoo outside of historical context.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Shiroc posted:

He never received a complaint because someone else opened his mail and threw them out before giving the rest to him. At least Manfred said he's going to talk to Dolan about it, so hopefully it'll be the end of Wahoo outside of historical context.

At least they took down this blight on the Cleveland skyline awhile back. I remember going to Indians games at Municipal Stadium in the 90s and seeing this goofy racist caricature smiling down at me as we were driving into the city.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Wahoo probably won't disappear from merchandise for a long time unless they do it so slowly that nobody notices. Unfortunately people are very attached to that mascot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Luneshot posted:

Wahoo probably won't disappear from merchandise for a long time unless they do it so slowly that nobody notices. Unfortunately people are very attached to that mascot.

My mother specifically bought her new Indians hat because it had Chief Wahoo on it like she remembered as a kid. She was not sold by my reasons for why I was buying a C hat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can only imagine the Fox News and right wing backlash if they changed the logo full sail, PC police strike again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
KIIIIIIP

• Locked thread