Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zifnab posted:

Washington State's done that a few times. Think they stopped for $$$ reasons (and because they kept losing them)

I remember Miami had that pivotal loss @ Washington back in the 2000 season. Same year that Mike DuBose's overrated Bama team got curb stomped @ UCLA, as well. That may have had a chilling effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

We had Wazzu come to Auburn in '13 and I thought for a long time it was supposed to be a delayed home-and-home, like we did with K-State in '07 and '14 but I guess it was just a paycheck (or maybe we bought it out when we had to schedule a bigger OCC game?)

Duckaerobics posted:

I just found out Auburn has some good PAC-12 games to the open the season in 18 and 19. They just scheduled Washington in Atlanta for 18
This game could be rad as hell. Only team I was really hoping for was Notre Dame (Auburn is the only team with a real natty that ND has never played and I think they were one of the few teams that was open in '18, Auburn blogs went pretty hardcore in breaking this down a few times) but super excited when I heard this.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Okie State 2012 never forget

Man I still remember watching that game. My dad who graduated from Okie State and doesn't care about football was pissed after that game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My alma mater went 4-6 one year and they gave the coach a parade.

I cover preps. Most of the coaches get it, that their entire livelihood is dependent on the whims of teenagers.

But a neighboring program puts their players up in hotels out of town for home games (to "cut down on distractions"). One of that school's big rivals had fans pay private investigators to see if they were illegally recruiting.

The hotels part is a bit much even for me and I come from a place in Virginia that would fit right in with Texas as far as "we loving love HS football".

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I grew up in a rural area, so the Friday night high school football game is really the community's only social event. For most of these people, high school was the peak of their lives, and so driving over to the school is a sort of recapturing of that magic. Most of these people never left where they grew up, and probably half of those that do go to college return only to become bank tellers down the street or teachers at the schools they went to as children. It's a little sad in a way, but at the same time, it's a community that is more closely knit than most outsiders can really comprehend.

The fall after I graduated college (which was 2005), I dropped by my high school on a Friday night while driving to my parents' place from Virginia. It was awkward at the time, and it would be even more surreal now that I've been completely removed from that scene for more than a decade now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EMUAthletics/status/794268562588319744

Eastern is playing Ball State on election night and doing a clever little voting theme on their helmets.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'd dig that more if EMU athletics wasn't drawing ~$28M from the school and students.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/EMUAthletics/status/794268562588319744

Eastern is playing Ball State on election night and doing a clever little voting theme on their helmets.

Isn't voting going to be done by the time they play?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DJExile posted:

please make the players wear little "I voted" stickers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wa27 posted:

please make the players wear little "I voted" stickers.

hahahahaha yes this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Iowa State is without a doubt the best 1-8 team in the country.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

General Dog posted:

Except unironically

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Except unironically

Same. Although the game at Kansas will probably be pretty good because Home Kansas is kind of scary.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

General Dog posted:

I don't know. Who are the other 1-8 teams in the country so we can rank them against each other?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/openingdrive/status/794505335578968064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

oh no

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Oh yea tough choices

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

hillary only gon be round for four years but that ring is forever pawl

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It's closer than I thought

But if you don't think an 11-1 Bama with its only loss being to a resurgent LSU doesn't make it to the playoff then you clearly haven't been paying attention to CFB

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WISCONSIN HASN'T BEATEN NORTHWESTERN IN EVANSTON SINCE 1999

just want to get that out there because that is the funniest thing that has happened in college football and it probably won't last past saturday

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/DrJulieVose/status/794567532690677760

Dr. Brutus is dumb

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Noted human piece of poo poo and former Vandy player Brandon Vandenburg was sentenced to 17 years today for taking his passed out girlfriend back to his room and getting three teammates to run a train on her while he filmed. He, of course, blamed it entirely on alcohol.

Cory Batey, one of the three players who raped the girl received 15 years. The other two cases are yet to be resolved.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My high school won the state championship for the first time in school history during my senior year, so that was kind of a special time. :3:

Historically they've been sorta terrible though. They followed that state championship with a 3-7 season, and several years later they became one of two schools in the state to somehow make the state playoffs with a 2-8 record. :psyduck:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Crotch Bat posted:

Noted human piece of poo poo and former Vandy player Brandon Vandenburg was sentenced to 17 years today for taking his passed out girlfriend back to his room and getting three teammates to run a train on her while he filmed. He, of course, blamed it entirely on alcohol.

Cory Batey, one of the three players who raped the girl received 15 years. The other two cases are yet to be resolved.

My mind is still blown at why anyone would want to do that to their girlfriend. "hey, you know what would be cool? if my friends raped my girlfriend" said no one ever (is what I would have thought, before I read this story)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That's not altogether shocking depending on the system used. I've seen 0-11 and 1-10 schools before by season's end. Some places just gather up the state and maybe split it in half and then take the top 8-16 (depending on the size of the state I guess) on each side and play 2-4 games and then take the winner of each half to play for state but other places use a system where each half of the state is further broken down into regions or districts and each must be equally represented. That's what leads to some areas seeing teams miss out at 8-2 while others breeze in with any record because there's simply not enough representation on that level to make the games matter.

The latter system works better in theory but the theory requires equal distribution of school sizes as well as equal distribution of play. The former is just "here's a formula, here's the results, here's the cutoff line, go play".

DrunkPanda posted:

My mind is still blown at why anyone would want to do that to their girlfriend. "hey, you know what would be cool? if my friends raped my girlfriend" said no one ever (is what I would have thought, before I read this story)

I have never been able to wrap my mind around it and I thought about it a bit again when I read the article today. I guess it's some kind of cuck fantasy combined with maybe a voyeur thing since not only did he film it he distributed it. I just don't think I'm meant to understand whatever it was he was seeking and I'm OK with that.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
All I know about High School football is that my little school went 10-1 before losing to the eventual state champions in the second round of the playoffs when I was a senior, and in the 11 years since they've won like 6 combined games. Peaked at the right time imo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My 51-person graduating class was the largest in school history so needless to say we couldn't field a football team (except somehow for four years in the 1970s).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

My 51-person graduating class was the largest in school history so needless to say we couldn't field a football team (except somehow for four years in the 1970s).

Perfect for 6 man football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

hahahahah what idiot thinks TAMU is #4?

• Locked thread