Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Bethesda modders are stupid, narcissistic fuckheads, Bethesda somehow allowed that to keep happening but now for money, and then everyone screamed a bunch and it didn't happen
Honestly it was such a complete non-starter and so much of the 'debate' was just brick walls screaming at each other in not-really-funny ways that it's best left as a lovely historical curiosity.

It will however always be funny that during those couple of dark days, a lovely, extremely low effort armour mod sold better then Arthrmoor's house mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Novajam has provided all the summary we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9dnQfec9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSypj0fNbaE

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Considering how quickly Steam abandoned the idea I'm pretty sure the whole thing was Bethesda's idea. Like in return for being one of the first games to add Workshop support Bethesda demanded that there would eventually be paid mods but Steam intentionally sabotaged it.

The drama starts here if you want to read it.

Some highlights off the top of my head:

-The modder himself only got a 25% cut with Bethesda and Steam taking the rest.

-A couple of the Paid items couldn't be obtained in game and had to be spawned in with the console.

-loving Arthrmoor was involved, so there was a dramabomb right there.

-There was absolutely no DRM on mod files. Within an hour of going live all of the paid mods were available as :filez:

-There were a couple of free mods that became paid mods with a note asking users to delete the free version of their mod before installing the paid version.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My favorite lazy paid mod thing was the number of pay-to-win cheat mods that for like a buck would give you 5000 gold or some poo poo, like literally console commands but as mods.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I believe Valve's commented on the paid mods fiasco a little since then and it doesn't really seem like they learned anything from it.

At least the community response was so severe that they're probably not going to try that poo poo again. Maybe. gently caress, with the way Valve's going I wouldn't even be surprised if they did it anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ruflux posted:

I believe Valve's commented on the paid mods fiasco a little since then and it doesn't really seem like they learned anything from it.

At least the community response was so severe that they're probably not going to try that poo poo again. Maybe. gently caress, with the way Valve's going I wouldn't even be surprised if they did it anyway.

I was surprised that it didn't return for FO4

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The only modder I kind of felt bad for was Chesko mainly because it sounded like he got suckered into it by Bethesda and Valve as opposed to the others like Isoku, and was probably the one who got completely crucified by everyone else. Like, posterboy for getting shat on by an entire community.

Luckily though it was short-lived and he's back modding (he got early access and ported Frostfall over to SSE).

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I was surprised that it didn't return for FO4

that's because Fallout 4 has no mod integration with Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All is right with the world.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
but you see guys those poor modders put in hours of work and time and money into those mods, they deserve to be paid for this work they did for Bethesda

if the mod for 50000 gold guy actually could make a living off his work we might get better quality mods, like a 100000 gold mod

Blind Duke fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 30, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

redwall

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man what were the like, special forces of Redwall? They were one of the varieties of long rodents or something, give me one of those as a companion not some idiot elf.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Orv posted:

Don't forget to watch the CINEMATIC PROLOGUE for a wonderful selection of Bad Fantasy Author Pronoun Soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4MvAhvB0E

And them literally just stealing the TES prophecy PC poo poo.

So, Overgrowth 2.0?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Orv posted:

Don't forget to watch the CINEMATIC PROLOGUE for a wonderful selection of Bad Fantasy Author Pronoun Soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4MvAhvB0E

And them literally just stealing the TES prophecy PC poo poo.

You know what this needs?

Some real bears.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was powerfully generic.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
All that stuff about Arthmoor and nothing on him "fixing" the PC's lines in FO4?

Shamelessly stolen from the Skyrim Modding thread:

Raygereio posted:

In FO4 the voice actress for the female PC - Courtenay Taylor - ad libbed some lines while recording and Bethesda kept some of that and put it in the game. Only in some cases (or all, I'm not sure) those ad-libs didn't have subtitles or lip-sync. So it was reported as a bug to the UF4P. They then edited the voice file and cut the ad-libbed bits out.
People immediately complained because those ad-libs were neat. But since Arthmoor is incapable admitting he's wrong about something, he dug his heels in the sand until someone provided "proof" that the ad-libs were intentionally left in by Bethesda.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love that Arthmoor is so up his own sperg rear end that he went so far as to edit the voice files so that they matched the subtitles rather than the other way around.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The voice actors are really messing with Arthmoors artistic vision for FO4 huh?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to see the new era of terrible mods.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Orv posted:

Man what were the like, special forces of Redwall? They were one of the varieties of long rodents or something, give me one of those as a companion not some idiot elf.

Either hares or otters, depending on the book

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't wait to see the new era of terrible mods.

He'll put oblivion gates in boston.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

The voice actors are really messing with Arthmoors artistic vision for FO4 huh?

It's so loving ironic, considering his infamy for adding in voice-acted lines for Mirmulnir into the USKP

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Scyantific posted:

It's so loving ironic, considering his infamy for adding in voice-acted lines for Mirmulnir into the USKP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WnHuC9wUtg

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Even that is him altering the voice to match the subtitle. You think it's ironic, but it's not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Orv posted:

Rabbits, Badgers, Otters.

That's all that comes to mind without googling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Squirrels too I think?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Rabbits, Badgers, Otters.

That's all that comes to mind without googling.

The otters were knights errant working for a badger in a secret mountain fortress where they launched holy wars against the rats. Also, everyone loved puzzles.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I made a pretty awful mod for Smash 4, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br25aFxae0I

Thanks for listening

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Maple Leaf posted:

I made a pretty awful mod for Smash 4, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br25aFxae0I

Thanks for listening

You're alright.

http://i.imgur.com/9IVc3mD.jpg

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Someone should mod in a character based on Arthmoor that's a bard singing the Dragonborn song incorrectly and badly, who claims his version has better lyrics than the original. Then include a quest from a jarl or someone to make him a mute.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

So, Overgrowth 2.0?

Is there an Overgrowth 1.0 yet?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The otters were knights errant working for a badger in a secret mountain fortress where they launched holy wars against the rats. Also, everyone loved puzzles.

Nah, that was hares. Joke's on me for not just letting this one slide :eng99:

Orv
May 4, 2011
All I really remember about Redwall is that some sort of animal worked for a giant murderbadger in a cool mountain fortress, the main mouse was a total bitch and the books got super hosed up for what were ostensibly kids books the further they went in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And then everyone realized the real treasure was the friends they made along the way

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Two Beans posted:

Someone should mod in a character based on Arthmoor that's a bard singing the Dragonborn song incorrectly and badly, who claims his version has better lyrics than the original. Then include a quest from a jarl or someone to make him a mute.

:golfclap:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

A quest to kidnap him and throw him through an Oblivion gate.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Two Beans posted:

"He calls himself "art more". Get rid of him."

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
What if art more was an oblivion gate?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And then everyone realized the real treasure was the friends they made along the way

Sorry, but the real treasure was pretty consistently enormous wheels of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

A quest to kidnap him and throw him through an Oblivion gate.

But... the gates? They're all in ruins!

:psyboom: