Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn off the TV posted:

My ultimate dream in life is that someday there will be more than one blank slate protagonist RPG in which the player controls the dialogue of their companions in addition to the protagonist. I really appreciated being able to hold conversations as the preexisting party members in Divinity 2.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir had this feature. You could select which party member to have talk at any point in every conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cythereal posted:

NWN2: Storm of Zehir had this feature. You could select which party member to have talk at any point in every conversation.

If I remember right SoZ is the expansion where you create your own party, so it's not exactly what I'm talking about.

In Original Sin 2 the premade party members can all be the selected protagonist, or none of them can be and you can make up your own. They each have their own specific backstories, plotlines and dialogue interactions with the player character and each other. Since they all have actual identities within the world there are a lot of situations where one of the party members will have unique dialogue with an NPC, and if you talk to them as that character you have dialogue that is actually written like a character or person and not so much a branching tree of exposition. On the other hand, if you do want exposition you can just talk to them from the point of view of a blank slate protagonist, or someone else in the party who doesn't know them.

Something like that in a Bethesda type game could massively cut down on the number of awkward dialogue exposition dumps, because there's a lot more freedom to write a human sounding conversation. The Witcher series is a pretty good example of why.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Xenoblade 1 and 2 will let you pick what characters say during heart-to-heart conversations, even if they don't involve the protagonist.

Unless things changed in XBC2, the heart to hearts are mostly just optional vignettes that could have just existed as cutscenes.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

turn off the TV posted:

If I remember right SoZ is the expansion where you create your own party, so it's not exactly what I'm talking about.
You can, and the initial fight is a hell of a lot easier if you do, but there are still some recruitable party members.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like the feature in some of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games where you can turn to a companion and give them a chance to handle a situation. You can't take control of a companion and control all the dialogue through them, but you do get to control when and if they have a say. Only problem with the implementation in those games is that its limited in when it comes up and with who, and it's pretty much always an "I Win" button for that conversation.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yeah, one thing to remember is that in stuff like Baldur's Gate, they were still adding text and lines right up to the end of production. They could expand whatever dialog they wanted, because it was all just blocks of text.

That's why in the original Fallouts, that were only partially voice acted, you got a lot of bits where a voice acted character would be "Hey, here's the basics of your mission. Talk to my non-voice acted assistant for more details". They could change a lot of things around without having to rerecord any of the major character's lines.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Does anyone remember the name or have the link of the Doom 1 and 2 mod that added in a bunch of weapons and enemies from other of the era games like Hexen, Heretic, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke, and straife? The mod just mashed them together kind of randomly each time you started a new level so you got different stuff every time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

marshmallow creep posted:

I like the feature in some of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games where you can turn to a companion and give them a chance to handle a situation. You can't take control of a companion and control all the dialogue through them, but you do get to control when and if they have a say. Only problem with the implementation in those games is that its limited in when it comes up and with who, and it's pretty much always an "I Win" button for that conversation.

This also happens in New Vegas with a few quests involving Veronica and Arcade.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Haruharuharuko posted:

Does anyone remember the name or have the link of the Doom 1 and 2 mod that added in a bunch of weapons and enemies from other of the era games like Hexen, Heretic, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke, and straife? The mod just mashed them together kind of randomly each time you started a new level so you got different stuff every time.

Please tell me it has Chex Quest weapons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Haruharuharuko posted:

One of the biggest ones that does that is Samsara, though that hasn't updated in a few years - it even changes around the status bar to match the different games the weapons come from and is particularly fun for multiplayer stuff.

Doesn't have the strife guy though, cuz the developer never came up with a way to have them in but still have the character feel distinct from all the others before he stopped adding things to the mod.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

fishmech posted:

One of the biggest ones that does that is Samsara, though that hasn't updated in a few years - it even changes around the status bar to match the different games the weapons come from and is particularly fun for multiplayer stuff.

Doesn't have the strife guy though, cuz the developer never came up with a way to have them in but still have the character feel distinct from all the others before he stopped adding things to the mod.

there is a fan continuation of Samsara that adds a stupid amount of (poorly balanced) characters including strife guy, caleb from blood, gordon freeman, even one of the dudes from redneck rampage. it also has a mod that adds all the enemies from most of those games too.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Aeons of Death?

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Holy poo poo, someone other than me played Blake Stone!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

LvK posted:

Aeons of Death?

THAT'S IT!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

jonsicoli posted:

Blake Stone was great and I love it till this day.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

jonsicoli posted:

Tzarnal posted:

I want a reboot of Blake Stone now. Doom and Wolfenstein got theirs. Stone should be a kitschy take on those 50's sci fi movies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

jonsicoli posted:

Tzarnal posted:

Wamdoodle posted:

I want a reboot of Blake Stone now. Doom and Wolfenstein got theirs. Stone should be a kitschy take on those 50's sci fi movies.

This, along with "Curse of the Catacombs", were my first more than shareware shooter Memories :allears:

Teaching me lessons ahead of their time, like "You don't have to shoot EVERYONE" and "Don't trust small animals in video games, they turn into monsters"

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Section Z posted:

This, along with "Curse of the Catacombs", were my first more than shareware shooter Memories :allears:

Teaching me lessons ahead of their time, like "You don't have to shoot EVERYONE" and "Don't trust small animals in video games, they turn into monsters"

Mine was Rise of the Triad, because I somehow ended up with the full registered version off a random shareware CD. I was too dumb for :filez: back then, so that must be how I got it.

Of course, lessons learned from that game were more along the lines of "blow up everything," "gibs are good," and "guys who say not to shoot are lying whores" :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

I didn't know I needed this until now. Deadly Tower of Monsters just didn't scratch that itch.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017
Have you ever felt that the vanilla female sitting animation in Oblivion was too slutty, yet simultaneously not slutty enough? Don't worry, lubronbrons has you covered with "Proper Male and Female Sitting Animations". This isn't the worst mod ever posted in this thread, but the combo of terrible English, terrible fashion sense, and just a dash of modder ego make it kind of a microcosm of :nexus:.

iubronbrons posted:

I always wonder why woman in Oblivion is sitting like that... they spread leg too much, right?
it will be more awkward if you install any skimpy clothes or mods that modify NPCs to wear less clothing such as mini-skirt etc etc...
This mod gonna fix that OBLIVIOUS sitting animation. It looks pretty drat good even in vanilla clothes too~
Female will use new more feminine sitting animation, while Male still using the original vanilla sit animation.
Hey you woman ! Sit properly like you should would ya !! XD lol

I know I hate it when video game women flash me due to skimpy clothing that I specifically modded onto them, so I'm glad this mod is here to make the women less sexy by making them more sexy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30619

*screams*

quote:

I got a PM to modify the male child head mesh to fit on the vanilla adult male body. Since I've already done a female version I figured I would oblige. Please read the description.

*SCREAMS*

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/kAvyHmT.png:nms:

*SCREAMS*

That's not vanilla, look at the bottom of that goddamn image!

And of course they did vanilla already

I HATE EVERYTHING

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

An appropriate reaction.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Think on your sins.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29666

Here's a nice little mod that makes fedora and trilby hats lower your charisma score.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePMLYKfLmL4

quote:

Marathon//Max is a 2nd-person shooter based on the Marathon series by Bungie and running on the MAX-FX engine. Gameplay involves team-based deathmatch with bots. The game strives to be as faithful to the Marathon games as possible, while introducing a new generation of gamers to a forgotten and under-rated franchise. Also, you can blow crap up with rocket launchers, so there's a little something for everybody here.
:confused:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
pretty sure he means third because second person would mean you'd have an in-the-head view of the dude you are shooting at which would be v confusing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

pretty sure he means third because second person would mean you'd have an in-the-head view of the dude you are shooting at which would be v confusing

This has to have been Molydeux tweet at some point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Hmm...I’d play this game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I believe someone's actually made a second person shooter as like a game jam project, but I don't recall the name. It was an arcade style shooter viewed from the eyes of the enemy. If there was more than one enemy it was split-screen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/301970/Screencheat/

Screencheat is a game like that. It's a split screen arena shooter with a bunch of goofy weapons. The twist is that players are invisible, so you have to 'cheat' by looking at their screen and their surroundings to see where they are. Effectively it's a second-person shooter because looking at your own screen is useless for seeing where to shoot, so you have to view it from the other person's POV. Coincidentally it's also a really good party game and a lot of fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Coolguye posted:

Isometric games with RTS like controls are second person, so if someone has made a game that plays like Diablo, but with guns, then that should count as a second person shooter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Coolguye posted:

Is Forbidden Siren a second person perspective game

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Second person perspective is such a weird concept that in my experience it goes mostly unaddressed even in professional writing circles outside of poetry and post-modernism, but I guess looking it up provides the very good point that most choose your own adventure novels are technically second-person perspective. The idea with second person is that it's set from the perspective of someone who is addressing 'you' as a character in the story while still being involved in the story. 'You' are then the protagonist even though the story is not occurring from your point of view within the story, nor from some omniscient (or at least detached and distant) viewpoint, as in third person. With video games it gets a little dumb and weird to define and you've probably got to be a little loose with the definitions; an over-the-shoulder camera is probably not, under most circumstances, a second person perspective, if only because that's a stupid way to describe it.

In gaming terms I would definitely say the Siren games use second-person perspective (as a game mechanic, although you can still use first and third person camera views as normal). There's probably a handful of other games with sight-jacking or possession mechanics that count, along with, I guess, any game where something like a security camera or an antagonist's point of view informs your visual playing field.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Second person perspective is such a weird concept that in my experience it goes mostly unaddressed even in professional writing circles outside of poetry and post-modernism, but I guess looking it up provides the very good point that most choose your own adventure novels are technically second-person perspective. The idea with second person is that it's set from the perspective of someone who is addressing 'you' as a character in the story while still being involved in the story. 'You' are then the protagonist even though the story is not occurring from your point of view within the story, nor from some omniscient (or at least detached and distant) viewpoint, as in third person. With video games it gets a little dumb and weird to define and you've probably got to be a little loose with the definitions; an over-the-shoulder camera is probably not, under most circumstances, a second person perspective, if only because that's a stupid way to describe it.

In gaming terms I would definitely say the Siren games use second-person perspective (as a game mechanic, although you can still use first and third person camera views as normal). There's probably a handful of other games with sight-jacking or possession mechanics that count, along with, I guess, any game where something like a security camera or an antagonist's point of view informs your visual playing field.

There was that one part in Enslaved i think? Where you're chased by this big rear end boss but the camera is from his eyes, so that was technically Second Person Perspective.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kikas posted:

There was that one part in Enslaved i think? Where you're chased by this big rear end boss but the camera is from his eyes, so that was technically Second Person Perspective.

There's also a boss fight in Psychonauts like this.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

The Kins posted:

I believe someone's actually made a second person shooter as like a game jam project, but I don't recall the name. It was an arcade style shooter viewed from the eyes of the enemy. If there was more than one enemy it was split-screen.

My guess is Second Person Shooter Zato.
Still playable if your browser supports Unity Web Player.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also a boss fight in Psychonauts like this.

And that one boss fight from Turtles in Time

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Battletoads did it too

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The idea with second person is that it's set from the perspective of someone who is addressing 'you' as a character in the story while still being involved in the story. 'You' are then the protagonist even though the story is not occurring from your point of view within the story, nor from some omniscient (or at least detached and distant) viewpoint, as in third person.

The person playing a video game isn't just a character in the game, they're also assuming part of the role of the author or speaker. I would say that any game where user inputs correspond to 1:1 character inputs or the player is given perfect information is not a second person game.

A good way of visualizing it would be like this:

In a first person game I cannot see around a corner unless I lean to to see around it.

In a second person game I cannot see around a corner unless I direct my character into a position that removes the fog of war.

In a third person game I can see around a corner regardless of what my character can see.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

Why would you imagine that? The writers are the ones producing the work that's being voice-acted.

with voice acting, the writers have to write with the expectation that every line will be voiced. the game can't be quite as reactive as if it were text-only.

for example, compare a low-intelligence run in Fallout 2 to one in New Vegas. in Fallout 2, because most of the dialogue is unvoiced, they were able to essentially write an entirely different branching path for a dumb character, with almost everybody having completely different dialogue with you. in New Vegas, there's a few extra voiced lines and your lines are usually different (because the player isn't voiced), but most NPC dialogue is the same, because it would be unreasonable to go back and re-record separate voiced NPC dialogue for what essentially amounts to a gimmick edge case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Reactivity is completely irrelevant to what i was responding to which was strictly to do with the quality of writing.