Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

double nine posted:

I have to ask, that gif at the top of the page - is that from a movie and if so which one?
It's from an old PSA about evils of rock music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l8WbkNXiTI&t=72s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ahhhh crap. I just downloaded the Open Cities mod from the Skyrim SE mod thingy thinking "oh cool open cities". So this one has those stupid gates and crap?
They never left. Back in OldSkyrim he added a MCM option a while after the GateGate debacle to disable the gates. Without SkyUI and its MCM, they're enabled by default.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Doesn't his open cities mod gently caress up a ton of quests because he just copy + pasted the city interiors?
Earlier versions had a some problems with various triggers not being copied over, etc. The current version works pretty well. The ridiculous feature creep aside, it actually is a solidly made mod.

iGestalt posted:

I think there's a trap door somewhere in the city to go to it's "interior" cell so technically there are two cities on top of each other.
There is, but it's invisible. It's for when you want to install or uninstall the mod in an ongoing game. The save file will remember NPCs' locations. So if you've been to vanilla Whiterun and then install Open Cities, you'll end up with an empty city because all the NPCs will be in the seperate vanilla Whiterun cell, instead of the one Open Cities added to the main gameworld. The trapdoor allows NPCs to sandbox over from one cell to the other.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Bethesda modders are stupid, narcissistic fuckheads, Bethesda somehow allowed that to keep happening but now for money, and then everyone screamed a bunch and it didn't happen
Honestly it was such a complete non-starter and so much of the 'debate' was just brick walls screaming at each other in not-really-funny ways that it's best left as a lovely historical curiosity.

It will however always be funny that during those couple of dark days, a lovely, extremely low effort armour mod sold better then Arthrmoor's house mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Pretty much this. The community had a pretty good thing going on wrt/using other people's assets until Valve and Bethesda came along and threw a gigantic poo poo-covered wrench into it.
Not really? I mean, people were throwing shitfits over their precious copyright long before Valve came up with the paid-modding thing. And the dark age of paid-modding only lasted 4 days. Other then outing a handful of modders as dickbags, I don't think it really had any sort of lasting effect on the modding community.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 2, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Whoever made this seriously needs to spend less time on DeviantArt. Like, bravo for putting the work into a mod with custom followers and quests and such, but the mod description is killing me.
That sort of description where the modder is trying to be funny used to be pretty common. It was an odd phase Skyrim modding went through. I think one modder (ApolloDown?) started it and when his mods became popular other modders were all "I guess he's popular because off all those funny jokes:downs:".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
In case people just looked at the picture: That mod are some eye texture replacers. The author felt that picture was the best way to showcase their mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rectus posted:

I'm guessing a lot of that is level designers wanting to do something, and not wanting to bother with the turnaround time of asking a programmer to implement a class for it.
That and often a workaround solution like this is far cheaper and easier to implement then having the programmers overhaul the relevant code from the engine.

FO3's metro hat for example exists because Bethesda's Gamebryo engine didn't really support the player standing on a moving platform. You could do it, but you wouldn't get smooth movement. So one solution would have been for a team of code monkeys to completely overhaul the engine's physics and movement model. But why do that when that could take weeks? The metro-hat workaround would have taken a few hours tops to implement.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

wasn't new skyrim even buggier right from the get go??
It was as buggy as the latest Oldrim patch and more stable.
It was the remastered part that had people go wtf. Textures were just upscaled and sound files were in a format that made the quality worse.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As a random tangent, is it even historically accurate for German planes to have swastikas on them? I thought the military/luftwaffe had its own emblem.

Their main symbol was the Balkenkreuz (that cross with straight lines on the wings & fuselage). Planes did have the swastika as a fin flash.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

khy posted:

IIRC there used to be a Skyrim mod that would let followers actually walk beside you instead of 30 feet behind, but it was buggy as poo poo.
The Followers as Companions thing actually worked surprisingly well. The problem was that the author made it as a showcase just to demonstrate it was possible and not really as a functional mod. So it only worked with the base game followers and if you had any other mod that affected followers it would probably break.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kavak posted:

Wait, really?
If I recall right, the story was that Nomura designed the interlocking-belt-dress thing as a challenge to the CGI team to see if they could get the pattern right in every cutscene.
The CGI team apparently met this challenge by not doing it. The only time her belt dress is shown in detail is when she's first introduced. Afterwards she's only seen from the waist up, from behind, at such a distance that you couldn't see any details, etc.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was looking for a mod that unlevels the Silver Shroud armour and what do I find...
Silver Shroud Three Versions

quote:

Three female versions of silver shroud costume, skimpy yet aesthetic and lore friendly. Outfit includes CBBE physics. Stand-Alone and Replacer

:raise: It's the hat right? That's what makes it lore friendly?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So this just popped up on the New Vegas nexus. WearOut - visual armor destruction

quote:

This mod allows armor to be visually different when it looses its durability. Small damages when it's almost new and very noticeable when it almost ruined.

That sounds pretty cool. I guess someone found a good use for NVSE's SetTexturePath. I wonder how that will look?

Ehm...nevermind.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

On to another topic, this isn't an awesome/awful mod, but I just ran across this: https://www.moddrop.com/app/ . Is anyone familiar with it? It seems to be a new modding program that's supposed to make installing and sharing mods easier.
It basically seems to be some sort of file manager that backs up mods' files? They talk big, but it doesn't appear to do anything impressive. Let alone anything that would make installing mods easier.
I like that they proudly promote themselves as using Loot and fomods, while claiming they support several non-Bethesda games. Sure, I'll sort the loadorder of my minecraft mods with loot. Did anyone make a masterlist for minecraft or does that game even use a loadorder based file system that's vaguely similar to that of the Bethesda engine? Who cares. And why not install Witcher 3 mods using an installer with a crappy XML based GUI that was originally designed for FO3.

I can't see it yet, but there's probably some sort of scam behind it. It's run by the guys behind GMod.com, which has various e-drama attached to it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 25, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
A cool mod for Old-Skyrim popped up. It allows you to share a horse with a follower, which is an impressive technical feat and kind of neat for roleplaying purposes.

19 images and the mod's author only uploaded the one that clearly demonstrates the mod's purpose. I wonder what the other 18 are.
Well this user uploaded an okay screenshot. and so did this one. So far so good, what's next?

Well, that's just silly. All you have demonstrated is that you couldn't follow the very simple install instructions.
Same goes for you and... erm... what the gently caress is going on with those breasts?

Okay do we have another user-image that demonstrates the mod's purpose and is uploaded by someone who could follow the 2-step install instructions? We do? Great, let's see it.
Well, poo poo..

Remember kids, when uploading a mod to the Nexus always set it so user-images have to verified by you first. Or just block them outright.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Oh, how loving creative Bethesda - the BCC mod files are apparently .esl files, which are just renamed .esm, which means there is literally no effort made to combat piracy.
Not quite. The .esl is a new type of data file Bethesda introduced with the latest patch, which is supposed to bypass the 8-bit plugin ID limit so you could have more then 255 plugins active. I haven't heard of anyone testing it yet, but if it works as advertised that's actually a nice thing to have. Especially on the consoles which don't have access to tools to merge mods.

m2pt5 posted:

No, here's the deal, from what I've been able to piece together:
- Whether you buy them or not, you get the .ba2 files for all the BCC mods on your hard drive.
- When you buy the mods, it installs and activates the appropriate .esl file.
- Reportedly, the .esl files can also be found in the .ba2 archives. So if you extract them and rename to .esm (keeping the file name the same as the .ba2) you can activate them in the launcher, and thus get the mod.
Not quite. The first two are correct.
The .ba2 archives contain all of the "creation"'s assets. Meshes, textures, sounds, scripts, etc. Once you have that, all you need is the plugin that puts those assets in the game. Which you can easily make yourself with the Creation Kit or FO4Edit. No special modding know-how needed, just a few minutes of spare time. So yeah, they've essentially given away all of the Creation Club content for free.

And besides someone reporting it to Bethesda, there's not really anything to stop you from grabbing those assets, renaming some things, repackaging it (maybe with some other stuff to hide it) and uploading it to Bethesda.net to make it freely available to the XBox1.
If you feel like having big balls, you could even make a plugin that activates for instance the Gauss Riffle creation, name "ccBGSFO4018-GaussRiflePrototype.esp" and upload it to Bethesda.net to make it available to PS4 players. Though that name will be a dead giveaway.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I feel like these things lost some of their charm after modders figured out facial expressions.
Those screenshot just aren't the same when the fapmaterial isn't looking directly at you with a blank expression that begs for the sweet release of death.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arthmoor posted:

quote:

There was never a cathedral view to begin with.
There was, but those in support of it are often far too aggressive for their own good and it backfired as expected and resulted in more protectionism, not less. That was the natural and expected response though and it's amazing nobody realized that.

I think I've found the most Arthmoor quote there is.
"It's your fault I'm an rear end in a top hat!"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

aniviron posted:

The modded movement looks almost right but something about the way the waist pivots is wrong
With the way nothing above the waist changes when the character goes to and from diagonal movement, it looks like a Mechwarrior mech doing the torso twist.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Midig posted:

For example, Grimy, a criminally underrated mod author made a written review pointing out how useless and misleading the mod and description of Duel Combat realism was here:
https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques/duel
The Duel meltdown is still my favorite bit of modding drama.
He changed Duel's description to be multiple pages of insane rambling like

An insane person posted:

Beyond the abstract layer of some numbers, there is a world of interaction where the Feedback form a whole that is greater than all the elements that compose it.
Although in a unitary manner the components of this mod does not seem to do anything, the fact is that the user experience is there and proves, at least, that some reviewer have still much to learn before they understand what actually made this mod.
Also he took one of his compiled scripts, ran it through the CK's decompiler, opened the result in MS Word and took a screenshot of that. He posted that screenshot claiming it proved his scripts did what he claimed (this instead of posting his actual source code) when that bit of code was just declaring some variables and nothing more.

Also that drama really highlighted how screwed up things have gotten with regards to taking criticism. Grimy was first accused of being a liar and having a secret agenda to destroy all modding forever with his nefarious claims. If you then sat those people down and proved point by point that everyone one of Grimy's claims about Duel was objectively true, they'd still be "It was hurtful and mean and therefore and filthy lie!"
I feel like if that stuff had happened today, those same people would be yelling "fake news" instead.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kikas posted:

I got reminded of the Creation Club existance when someone posted on 4chan that their favourite "sexy" mods got taken down from the Nexus by the author. The author did it cause Bethesda asked him to "purge" his portfolio before agreeing to host his non-sexy mod on the CC.

But it's a 4chan rumour so yeah.

That’s probably bullshit. Last time I cheched the CC doesn’t even say who made the mod.
Bethesda does want to see modding work you’ve done as part of the CC application process. So what’s more likely here is the modder deleted his more “weirder” content before showing Bethesda his Nexus profile.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Where's the legitimacy?
Bethesda's lawyers freak out at the very idea of cross-game porting due to things like various licence agreements. As far as I know it is standard for the licence agreement for things like VA, music, etc, to specify exactly what it can be used for.
So take a random song that Bethesda licenced for use in FO3. If a modder ports that song over to FO4 and Bethesda were to approve that, then does that open up the door for Bethesda having to pay fines or getting sued by whoever owns that song? After all they facilitated that song being used outside the licenced scope by releasing the toolset.
I'm not a lawyer, so it's not like I know what the answer to that question is. But I do feel confident in saying that it's the sort of question that Bethesda's legal department doesn't want to think about. Hence Bethesda going "NO!" whenever modders ask them if porting content between games is okay.

For us modders & mod users, creating & using a tool that takes the contact from one game and ports it over, without redistributing that content in any way, is perfectly okay. Bethesda can huff and puff all they want, but that is legal. In certain countries they certainly can bury you in legal fees. But I can't imagine Bethesda or any company being crazy enough to do that. I mean, gently caress dealing with that sort of PR nightmare.
The Road to Liberty (FO3 in FO4) crew screwed by contacting Bethesda and asking them for approval. I don't know what they asked or why they thought they might get a different answer then the one they got, but they got the predictable answer which was a letter full of scary legalese and big, imposing words, telling them to shut down. The main guy behind the RtL team got scared, left and the rest of the team quickly fell apart.
Something like Tale of Two Wasteland can exist because they don't redistribute of FO3's files with their installer (so Bethesda has no real reason to actively go after them) and the TTW crew isn't stupid enough to contact Bethesda, so Bethesda can just pretend TTW doesn't exist.

Dwesa posted:

It's interesting that it's ok for some companies to port their armors or whatever into other games (like Witcher armor into Skyrim), but you cannot port stuff from one Bethesda game into another. Why is that? Maybe beacuse they want to do remastered versions themselves?
Some companies are okay with content that they fully own being ported around. But as far as I know none of them give full permission to port VA work or music.
CD Project Red wants to review modders' request case by case. Bioware gives permission to use models & textures and nothing else. Bethesda just goes "Nope" when asked. :shrug: Really, it's a difference in how the company wants to present themselves to the modding community.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think you also have to consider that Bethesda now just sees mods as another revenue stream. They can't sell mods with content they don't have the rights to.
That's not really a factor here. Bethesda hasn't changed their stance on porting their games' content ever since someone asked if they could remake Morrowind in Oblivion's engine over 10 years ago.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kavak posted:

The inconsistency over Tale of Two Wastelands is what's confusing. Did they just let that slip and decided not to go after it or something?
The rule for porting one Bethesda game to another Bethesda game's engine is don't redistribute any game files and don't contact Bethesda.
Bethesda is perfectly aware TTW exists. But as long TTW doesn't give Bethesda any reason to go after them, Bethesda can just pretend TTW doesn't exist. If TTW had ever send Bethesda a mail going "Please notice me Tod Howard-Senpai!", then TTW would have gotten the exact same response the Road to Liberty guys got.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I really want to sit in on the meeting at Nintendo HQ where a community manager tries to explain the Bowsette thing to the management.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
:psyduck: The gently caress is going on there?
Do they have a stock-buying-bot hooked up to the Internet and set it up so that it buys whatever is trending on social media?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zil posted:

This came up in another thread, but the modern stock market is pretty much just bots trading with bots at this point. If social media, all of it, is talking about a certain company in what the algorithm determines is a positive way, stock price goes up.
:psypop: I'm honestly baffled at why there aren't dozens of stories each day about this system breaking in funny and terrifying ways.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Arthmoor isn't the alpha and omega of lovely modders. People are perfectly capable of being self-absorbed shitheads without him being involved at all.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Looks like our favorite boy is at it again.:allears:

Skyrim's UnofficialPatch at some point became incompatible with VR Skyrim. So the VR players took the last version of UP that still worked for them and uploaded that for the VR players to use. The permissions of the UP allowed this.
Arthmoor threw a hissyfit. Changed the permissions. Declared that that change was retroactive and got that VR-compatible version of the UP deleted of the Nexus.
The VR player shrugged, uploaded the file to Dropbox and just went about their business. Things were fine for more then 2 years. And now out of the blue Arthmoor got that dropbox upload deleted via DMCA.

It's weirdly comforting having that crazy little poo poo around. He's a never changing constant.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Not me. Pillars of Eternity forum was teeming with them. I remember a guy just losing his loving mind about the moral fiber of Today's Kids because someone went "Hey, it would be nice if we could change our party composition in the main city in general instead of having to find an inn."
We had plenty of them the PoE thread here on SA. There were dudes who blew a fuse over the inclusion of party AI in Deadfire..

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yes, it is evolving in the direction of generating/maximizing profits and eliminating any possible obstacle that would stand in the way
That ship has sailed a long time though?

I've been looking at the trainwreck of a thread about this topic in the ModAuthor section over the Nexus forum and keep seeing the take that it's outrageous that the NexusMods is profiting from the work of others. And it's just comes across as disingenuous. I mean, none of them were up in arms when the Nexus added that "buy a premium subscription" poo poo to the download page.
The Nexus site is a for-profit business and so were the Nexus' predecessors. Dark0ne has been monetizing mods for 18'ish years.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't really consider it ripping off, really, it's more along the lines of "incorporating the features from a well-regarded mod."
Yeah, it's good that devs are looking the modding community to see what sort of gameplay features and mechanics the players like.

Skwirl posted:

The thing with Autumn leaves (and again, I've played the mod for New Vegas, but haven't played Fallout 4 at all so I don't know how accurate the accusations are)
Autumn Leaves and that FO4 DLC quest not only have the same story concept, but also really similar scenes. Unless there's a third piece of media that both the mod and FO4's DLC are paying homage to, then it's pretty blatant that some FO4 dev really liked that F:NV mod.

The dumb thing was that Peter Hines went full Baghdad Bob with his "Our DLC quest and that mods are totally different, any similarity pure coincidence." I get why he had to say that because Bethesda's lawyers freak out over everything. But if they had admitted it, I'm willing to bot the majority of the modders would have thought that was neat.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/55872

Want to combine skyrim with your fetish for exhibitionism? We've got the mod for you!
I do like how the comment section is pretty universally a "WTF?".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So here's some fun potential drama

The tl:dr is that Dragon Age Redesigned was a mod for Dragon Age: Origin that redid the meshes & textures of NPCs. It was quite popular for the textures alone. It was also bundled as a series of installer executables. After 11 years someone actually looked at those executables and it turns out it's likely they have been spreading malware.
From the nexus forum thread that's now hidden:
https://i.imgur.com/RCkFj6d.png
https://i.imgur.com/CqWeq0O.png

The same dude made FO3 Redesigned and FNV Redesigned which weren't bundled as executables. Perhaps those modding communities were less juicy of a target since fomod installers were the norm back then and an executable would have raised an eyebrow.
It does make me wonder how many more people have tried this trick. Mods having an installer executable is uncommon now I think, but I recall seeing it quite often 10 to 15 years ago.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
That's a fair point. A lot of modding is based on blind trust.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I feel like this deserves to be posted here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/1974t9g/police_have_seized_my_wifes_laptop_after_one_of/

quote:

My wife left her laptop on at a party at a friend's house. One of her friends, apparently, booted up Skyrim and he discovered that my wife has installed quite a few NSFW mods on it.

This includes non-human enemies, such as wolves, attempting to non-consensually mate with the player.

The police seized her laptop two days ago, and this morning, she has just received a request to attend an interview at the station. They have advised that her laptop will likely not be returned until mid-2025, but if she complies with the investigation it may expedite the process.

Should she attend this interview? Is it okay for me to go with her to offer support?

My wife has quite a few rather unusual fetishes, but these arise from childhood trauma, so I usually just let her do her thing.

Additionally, the "friend" who found the Skyrim wolf stuff has been posting about it on Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, and emailing my wife's employer (who he doesn't seem to realise is actually another relative who doesn't give a poo poo.) Is there any action that can be taken against this individual?

The "friend" apparently hit on the wife and she turned him down. So this poor woman is going to have her life destroyed because a guy couldn't handle being rejected.

Still I have to giggle over the fact that the UK police need 18 months to look at Skyrim porn mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Turpitude II posted:

didn't the uk make laws banning porn with a bunch of really common/mundane fetishes, like spanking? that aspect of this scenario strikes me as pretty believable.
There's this lovely bit of law which is worded vague to the point where loverslab content would fall under it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_63_of_the_Criminal_Justice_and_Immigration_Act_2008

flatluigi posted:

you should realize that most of that sort of segment of reddit is mostly creative writing exercises
You're fake. I'm fake. None of us are real and everything on the Internet is just one person soggy fanfiction that they're writing from their mom's basement.
It's funny to image that someone got into legal trouble over horny Skyrim mods. Just go with it.