Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Danaru posted:

Yeah it was mainly how specific he got with the age/gender, and also that when he says "sacrifice", he means it in a ritualistic sense.

"Moe, Sex Slave"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Payday 2 has a lot of HUD mods.

DANKHuD, a marijuana themed HUD mod, stands out. The MSPAINT HUD mod is famous, of course. But then there'sHyperHUD Re;Birth, a painstaking full interface reworking themed around one of those godawful games.

I really don't understand the desire to add random elements from your (presumably) favorite franchise to games you play. It's not even the subject matter, it's that they're completely unrelated in every way. Someone please explain the appeal.

qnqnx posted:

Some people's mission in life is to get offended at absolutely everything.

Like you, for instance!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Rectus posted:

Well, you say that...

Please, like there was a way to improve on the inherent sexiness of the boomer. (please share)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd like a Fallout NV that fixes the writing, and gives the option to pursue a course with Yes Man as the final boss.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Backhand posted:

I think the real question is when will there be a mod to add Yes Man as a romance option.

Oh, Yes! Man

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This, or a sequel to questionable ethics, would be the only thing that could get me back into l4d2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OK, that's loving incredible. It's be great LP material.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

So basically this is the video game gun equivalent of buying a cheap katana from an anime store on ebay and thinking it makes you a samurai?

That's actually a fantastic analogy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it's a lot like those edgy cats who talk about The Prince without realizing that Machiavelli was a republican and that entire book is a straight-faced satire of Lorenzo de Medici's world view that he wrote specifically so he could get back into their good graces.

I'm a fan of some form of that interpretation too, but for the record the literature is really divided on how to reconcile the Prince and the Discourses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Well, this is one way to show off your new ring models.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24521/

Not as bad as what I expected, honestly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

What is it about Final Fantasy modding specifically that seems to attract lunatics with a fundamentally broken notion of what constitutes fun?

Final Fantasy is an old series that has its roots in some of the most broken and abused statistical systems in gaming. That prediliction shows both in its hardcore fanbase, and periodically reveals itself in its games. Remember Pandemonium Warden.

edit: ^^^^^lol, bingo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kikas posted:

Have you ever glanced at the Payday 2 Thread, specifically, Death Vox? (not yet a mod)

Hey now, that game design fanfiction is a work of art.

...And even at its worst, still better than the design going into the actual game. Robbedacop anyone?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's really easy for modders to lose perspective on complexity and difficulty, especially if the game has a lot of invisible stuff going on, stats-wise. Payday 2 is somewhat infamous for this, in that there's basically two playerbases: people who've read the infamous "Long Guide" (~82 thousand words), and people who haven't.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 15, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Memento posted:

what directly the gently caress
Payday 2 never had good internal documentation and has always been awash with bugs. It's also had continuing support and DLC for something like 5 years now. It's risen up like a Mayan temple update after update, as new gameplay mechanics and stat systems and progress meters are built on top of old ones-often with minimal explanation of how they work. I think the game's systems are at this point more obscure and complex than many MMOs.

dont even fink about it posted:

I hope it has a google doc somewhere, because making people read it on Steam without a TOC is basically evil.
Guide's here, for reference: For twelve years you have been asking, what is Long Guide? FWIW the steam interface has a ToC on the right side.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, it reminds me of those old-school GameFAQs guides people would write in the days before public wikis. Some of those were massive, but I don't think (hope) anyone actually expected people to read the whole thing.

King Vidiot posted:

Who the gently caress are the players (besides Discendo Vox and the author) who actually have read the entire "Long Guide"?

I'd never even heard of it until right now. That's some Ulillillia levels of OCD and number wanking.
There are a number of people who at least consult it heavily, because so much of the game's systems are completely unexplained (like how skills stack, or enemy behavior works, or how long many tasks take). Aside from psychopaths like me, what I'm trying to get at is there's one other population with that level of obsessive knowledge of systems. Modders. People who mod payday 2's gameplay, who are in that bubble of sperg, tend to be completely detached from the game as normal players experience it. Here's a good idea: enemies that automatically dodge a flat percentage of incoming gunfire, or who are completely invincible, or who apply a growing percentage multiplier to the damage of all other enemies while they're alive. All of these are actual difficulty mods for payday 2.

The Iron Rose posted:

I read most of it like, two years ago when I still played payday.

I should get back into it, though I fell out of playing shortly after they introduced weapon skins. Wonder what's changed in the interim.
There's a new safehouse, two new difficulty levels, ~8 new characters and perk decks, ~12 new missions, melee weapons have been fully rebalanced twice, a new special enemy, poison, fire and shock mechanics have been redone, there's cosmetic armor, 2 more driveable vehicles, a new currency, a new "trophy" system, and an endless "crime spree" mode. Oh and, relevant to the thread, the devs hired a modder goon who's almost singlehandedly fixed most of the gameplay bugs.

I didn't mean to start a derail, but Payday 2's quite thread relevant because many of the game's modders are the most toxic individuals I've heard of in any gaming community. They're not perverts, they're just unbelievably antagonistic.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 15, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: not just perverts, they're unbelievably antagonistic. Oh, and racist.

Wamdoodle posted:

What the hell, what happened to just clicking on the cops trying to stop your robbery?

quote:

Every enemy assigns a priority to every object (in particular, criminals) in his list of detected objects. The object with the lowest priority becomes the focus of his attention, his priority target. Depending on the object type of his priority target, he will show different reactions. The other detected objects are ignored (though he may change his priority target at any time).

Both criminals (and converted enemies) and other objects use the same priority system. During loud situations, the game adds so much to the priority of other objects that they are in a completely different league, so that criminals are always the preferred target regardless of circumstances. During stealth, there may be rare situations when enemies focus on objects other than (detected) criminals if the criminals are not visible.

If an object is either reviving or not visible to the enemy, assign a priority value of 7 and skip the following steps until the priority addition due to reactions. Otherwise, start with a base priority depending on distance between enemy and object:
  • If distance < 5 m: Base priority 2
  • If 5 m <= distance < 15 m: Base priority 4
  • If distance >= 15 m : Base priority 6
From this base priority, subtract the following:
  • If the enemy was personally damaged by the object (criminal) in the last 5 seconds, subtract 2.
  • If the enemy was not personally damaged by the object (criminal), but has heard an alert of the criminal in the last 3.5 seconds, subtract 1 instead.
  • If the enemy had focused on the object already, but for less than 4 seconds, subtract 3 (thus enemies tend to stick to one target for 4 seconds at least).
Objects additionally add to the priority depending on the reaction that they cause. The relevant reactions and their effects on the priority are:
  • Scared, add 16.
  • Aim-at, add 15.
  • Arrest, add 14.
  • Shoot, add 12.
  • Combat, add nothing.
Objects other than criminals can only cause the scared or aim-at reaction. During loud, the enemy reaction towards players is virtually always "combat".

If the priority value is less than 1, set it to 1. Pick the object with the lowest priority as the target. If several objects have the same priority, choose the one with the smallest distance.

The game takes the product of all priority-altering skills (e.g. *0.85 for the Rogue perk, *1.15 for the Muscle perk, *1000 for the Kingpin injector) and multiplies the damage-time and alert-time by this product, and divides distance by it. This modified distance is used both to calculate your priority and when you are tied with other players. For example, take a player with Optical Illusions and the Rogue perk, so the multiplier is 0.65*0.85 = 0.5525. The damage-time becomes 5*0.5525 = 2.7625 seconds, the alert-time becomes 1.93375 seconds and the effective distance becomes 1/0.5525 = 1.81 times as much. E.g. if the player is farther than 8.2875 m away, he is already assigned the base priority 6 (whereas players without any skills have priority 4 up to 15 m).

That's one of seven subsections of one of the ~3 chapters of the guide on enemy AI. If you'd like to know how much health a given enemy has, consult this easy-to-use spreadsheet- or, use a mod. The horrifying part is that the game balance at the top difficulty is so poor that reading the nightmare quoted above was key to how I beat all the missions on that difficulty.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye, tell them about HoxHud.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

In these troubled times, let us take solace in our heroes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I like the idea of a mod that retextures a single mundane object, so hi-def that it can't run on any existing computer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Link the mod for my beautiful new sonic oc waifu pls

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's not done yet, just in testing.

where I need to continue the archieverse

edit: hahaha, all the similar image results are from Pixar films

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

McSpanky posted:

This is pretty neat.

Now make a Big O total conversion.

Yes. Please. Please.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dear Dennaton, give me the source code so I can fix all the bugs in your loving half-baked game

Sykic playthrough gifs here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thread, is there a sexy dogmeat mod?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I came here to post this, Marphitimus is the greatest poet of our time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Danaru posted:

I have extremely specific and complicated kinks.

New thread title please.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's how you give them those extra-kissable lips. Because that's what people like when they kiss, right? Teeth?

Well, yeah, if they're doing it right? :confused:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Midig posted:

Found a nice tantrum here. Watch this from 26:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2Qk9Y3Ekc

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

There are countless forums that have lifted SA's emote sets, down to the absurdly in-jokey ones. I wouldn't be surprised.

fwiw the facepunch forums at least have a "smilies we ripped off from SA" category, so they're up front about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

Oh boy, looks like hunt down freeman finally actually released. Yay. :effort:

I've seen reports of 32k textures. For keypads.

That's not a typo.

The game is also reportedly drawing the entire asset pools of several of the games it's stealing from/modding. Like, the entirety of L4D2's assets are in there, in, I don't know the format at all, I think my source said they were vpks. l4d, every source half life, counterstrike...
by all accounts this is the product of a diseased mind.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 24, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kavak posted:

Do you mean the poo poo quality and the rampant plagiarism or do things get even more interesting?

Trying to track down the root discussion, since I'm not touching the poop. It looks to be a Wiseau situation, a walking Dunning-Kreuger getting other people to waste time and talent on a horrible piece of fanfiction. I'm taking notes for my payday 2 modding project.

Some general laughter material:
https://www.twitch.tv/macd11/clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWiJHM01Tk

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 24, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Can I get some context on this Icycalm person?

Zil posted:

Easy to come in first when you are the only one in the race.

:golfclap:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

In the same category, just happened across this Max Payne mod.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This just popped up on youtube:

Fallout: Miami, a FO4 mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPtAjvtJhf8

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

Wrong hand.

If someone files a bug report they may fix it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Being honest, I can't think of a single reason why a robot shouldn't be sexy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFXn2rTa2QQ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The only way that could be better is with a syched, oscillating detection meter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

canonically, most tyrants come equipped with a "power limiter" somewhere in their clothing that allows higher mental functioning and prevents physical mutation

They actually modeled it for X - it's surgically implanted in his temple. Though the series literature is confusing and also refers to the bulletproof clothes as a limiter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Please don't make me write a comprehensive business turnaround plan for Umbrella.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd do my big business effortpost, but it's really off topic here: maybe in the resident evil thread, where there's also a critical mass of resident evil canon nerds to check my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nude Licker mod when