Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

sidewalk gum posted:

Err, phrasing?

Went to a Halloween party at the house off some people my wife met through the kids of another friend (convoluted story), so I finally got to wear the Zoidberg costume I made years ago, met some new nice people, had adult conversations with new people, it was great.

Most adult conversations recently depress me as there is always someone talking up the steaming heap of poo poo that is 'brexit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Years ago I saved a load of my dads old magazines. I'm now starting to scan them in so I can get the space back.

If anybody is interested in what rusty delights England had on offer in November 1980 then click on the link below!

download the 30MB PDF file here

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Thanks! I love this stuff.

Edit: How do you scan it without the reverse of the page showing through? I always find that's a problem.

Enjoy :) I've got over 10 years of them to go!

Please read through it and let me know how the quality seems. I'm still experimenting with my settings and technique.

if on a computer choose the 'first page is cover' option in your PDF software as then any 2 page spreads work in 2 page view.

I scanned it on a duplex ADF scanner after guillotining it's spine off.
I think page bleed through is more an issue on a flatbed.

With that one, I'm not sure I like the way that leaving the scanner on 'auto' for paper size has made things a bit wonky across spreads In places and how adobe has done some page rotation. I've also optimised the PDF quite a lot to get it to 30mb rather than 300mb...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Ah, I probably wouldn't be willing to cut up the stuff I want to scan, but never mind.

Quality looks good to me. As usual with old car mags, the prices in the classifieds make you wish you could pull a Goodnight Sweetheart with a rucksack full of cash...

The old magazines are cool but they take up too much space and I'm trying to seriously reduce how much poo poo I have.

I'v got a load of old landrover ones too but these have more pages (due to being 50% ads) so take longer to scan and i'm not quite sure its worth it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

I cant wait for my tory shitheap MP to vote in favour of invoking article 50 against the will of the majority of his constituents

bbut 'will of the people' :bang:

InitialDave posted:

^^^^: Excellent!

In perhaps better political news, it looks the there will probably need to be a parliamentary debate before the UK can trigger article 50 to leave the EU.

Time for everyone to start leaning heavily on their MPs.

Just emailed mine. suspect he wont reply but he generally votes well in parliament.

Why do they not publish the list of your MP's opponents? I could then start a 'I'll vote for you if....' argument with the Tory who was about 10% behind my labour MP in the last election.

I have decided that since it seems there isn't much else I can do about it at the moment other than try to convert people so I shall now be sharing excessive pro EU/anti brexit stuff on facebook. At the least it will annoy the people on there who have always been posting UKIP/ENGLAND stuff which I have always just ignored.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ola posted:

Do your worst...

If you give us the plate, or what you thought it said any of us locals can instantly give you the options for getting that word within our valid plate structures. it isn't complicated if you've lived with it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

sidewalk gum posted:

So how do I find out what to fit? it's a Toshiba Satellite C850 1LQ with a 750GB drive, I could get away with ~500GB to keep the cost down.

Any 2.5" SSD should fit in that. 480GB is about £90

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---SSD/subcat/2.5%22-SSD?q=laptop+ssd&sort=price+ascending

You could also buy yourself a smaller and cheaper SSD to use for the OS and keep your old 750GB drive in place of the DVD drive using one of these ebay specials

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

If a politician is in a foreign country spouting off it is probably because they have been laughed out of their own country. Nobody has enough good ones to let them go galavanting off anywhere else.

The EU appear to have some good politicians that they let out and about. It is unfortunate that they didn't do this more over the past few years.

Guy Verhofstadt (EU brexit negotiator) is great.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

At least we're not the only kid sat in the corner eating glue. Maybe if the rest of the world joins us in a race to the bottom, it'll level things out.

It should've been Bernie Sanders in the race. The democrats would still have lost, and by a larger margin, but at least they'd have the moral high ground.

I don't understand american politics. There were 2 'popular' candidates for the same party why not combine them as a coalition - why didn't Hilary run with Bernie Sanders as her vice-presidential running mate?

fridge corn posted:

Nicely done america

At least they only have to put up with the orange twat for 4 years and then get another chance to vote on it. Better deal than us.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I dont follow the subaru megathread but read all project threads so make a project thread for it!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even though I could probably put something together out of the Ouya / Raspi / god knows what else hardware I have laying around, I'm going to be a sucker and drop $60 for that retro mini-NES coming out because I loving can. Also, because I really hope they make a SNES version.

On a similar note, has anybody built themselves a gameboy zero or pigrrl or similar device?

I still play my original gameboy (generally whilst on the shitter), but really fancy an upgrade!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

Speaking of old consoles I picked up a dreamcast today and I'm impressed at how well it holds up.

Spent a couple of hours playing legacy of kain

You bastard, you made me get my dreamcast out!. I just spent 2 hours playing Rez and now my hands hurt (dreamcast controllers suck and all mine appear to be dead other than one with a broken analog stick)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I too have Rez.

And two fully functional Dreamcasts. :smug: Lost most of my controllers though.

I need to get a CRT TV for my consoles. Have a NES, SNES, and the Dreamcasts. They really look terrible on my LCD, whereas CRTs are cheap/free. I think I may even still have an old 4->1 RCA input selector somewhere!

Also need to remember how to burn Dreamcasts :filez: to CDs. I have a massive file somewhere with hundreds of games. Unfortunately most of my games have been lost over the years, I only have a few left.

Rez is an awesome game :)

I've got one very beaten up controller with a broken stick but working buttons, and one controller that looks perfect and beeps when you plug it in but doesn't register any button presses or the VMU. Dammit.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

NitroSpazzz posted:

TT condolences man :glomp:

Is it just me or has eBay gone to poo poo lately? Head I bought showed up cracked, radiator I bought showed up damaged (still trying to get money back after a month), valve spring compressor didn't fit and now a stupid video game I bought on the 1st hasn't even shipped yet according to tracking info. Half my 2016 purchases have gone less than ideal, about ready to give up on eBay.

Have you filed a claim with ebay for it being broken? as soon as you do that they will grab the cash back from the seller via paypal, and in my experience you will have no problem then getting it back to you.

I've been selling old car bits and all sorts of other stuff and sold one item that turned out to be faulty. The buyer opened a case and paypal took the money back off me even before I'd had a chance to respond.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Add Facebook market place to that as well. Took 12+ hours to get someone to pick up a very nice oak table with 8 chairs for $50, 30+ interested by no one would come out or they wanted me to hold it.

Was looking at those for doing a Raspberry Pi emulator
I've just ordered all the bits to build myself a gameboy zero running retropie on a pi zero (its a pi zero all built into a classic gameboy case with extra buttons added). Much of it is still on the slow boat from china but i'm gradually getting a nice box of bits together to practice my soldering on. I'm in it for about £65 so far. I'm gonna put external outputs on it so I can use it on my projector as a console too.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Ich hoffe, dass Sie in Ihrem neuen Land glücklich sein werden.

I hope you will be happy in your new country.

I've been working through countries trying to work out which ones look nicer and which ones I could get a Visa in (assuming that I was coming at it as a typical non-EU citizen because nobody knows yet WTF is going to happen after March 2019)

Germany appears to be good for work and visas but housing is expensive and if you decide to become a permenant resident you can't keep your old passport too.

Got to wait and see what happens over the next 6 months but I'm currently crossing everything that there will be some sort of associate EU membership deal or some arrangement that will let me keep my EU movement and working rights. If there isn't then i suspect that other European countries will start putting easier requirements or deals in place to take advantage of the possible exodus of UK residents and deal with UK citizens already there.

slidebite posted:

:lol:

The immigration talk from average Americans and Canadians is fascinating at election time because for some bizarre reason so many retards seem to think it's utterly trivial to just pack your poo poo up and immigrate to the other country.

A mate went UK-US and I spent weeks helping sort out, tidy up and pack his poo poo and get vehicles built and moved into containers, and its taken him close to 2 years to get everything sorted and I think he still has a container with some poo poo left in it.

Commie - If you want to do it, start sorting out your poo poo now!

I've been consciously trying to get rid of poo poo and finish off projects for the past 6 months and have only made a tiny dent on the list

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

If I just bought some car parts off ebay that were much cheaper than they should have been should I feel guilty? (It was an older guy and i'm not sure he meant to make the auction fixed price or if that was supposed to be the starting price)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Feel guilty all you want, whilst fitting said parts to your vehicle.

I feel like i'm a good home for them so the guilt is gradually leaving.

Now where can i find a proper engineer who will weld a cracked cast manifold for me? I think the old guy who did it for me last time is now dead and his amazing workshop is closed up :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Is anybody else using a vehicle tracker like the Chinese TK102 or TK103's? Are there any decent tracking websites to use it with that either cost nothing or cost very little?

Don't really want to have to host my own server for it!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

West SAAB Story posted:

I bought one of these, got ready to set it up, got distracted by squirrels, and it's sat in the office since. GPSWox looks promising, but I have no experience with them. A halfway tolerable middle ground is to just get a super cheap VPS. You can find them at lowendbox.com - and there are guaranteed to be specials on Friday/Saturday this week.

Cheers, I'll try gpswox out. I thought that there would be loads of them around but there don't seem to be many
The manufacturer site (http://www.gpstrackerxy.com/) is frustrating - feels like something a Chinese student might have written as an unfinished college project.

Had considered vps ing it (or I could host it on a vm at home), but computer janitoring my own stuff makes me like that stuff less (I've got my own security and home automation setup and am currently having to write scripts to trigger security lights from pirs and it makes me hate it)

Quite impressed by the features on the device I bought and it seems to work so far (just really fiddly to set up and the documentation is poo poo). Be interesting to see how good it is when I get it fully wired up to door switches and other extra bits along with a siren!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That sucks. Can't you get a lift or a bus to the store to buy some?

Everyone should keep some blue and red heat shrink connectors in stock at all times as you usually need them in an emergency. (Or a soldering iron and some proper heatshrink tube if you are a professional).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Now this is going to sounds really loving snooty but this gif is pretty much represents Asda shoppers as they normally are. If I ever feel like I don't hate people enough I'll go shop in Asda, I'm not sure why but it seems to attract the most inconsiderate, rude, scummy fuckers around. Every single time I have a lovely half an hour shopping it's in an Asda store. Someone should do a study on it, it's loving bizarre.

I only visit 24 hour Asda's and make sure that I do it on Monday to Thursday between 10pm and 1am. When there is only you and shelf stackers in there it isn't too unpleasant an experience as food shopping goes...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slidebite posted:

I've been a professional reference for a few people in the past, but I've never been asked to be one like this.

:psyduck:

I think i'd struggle to lie/be creative like that even for a close friend. For an acquaintance like him that you only hear from every few years I would just be truthful.

From my employing people and HR experience I would guess that only a negative reference is going to stop anyone getting the job unless its really really close between two candidates and they can't decide.
From your post it sounds like you're going to be positive about him anyway so just be truthful.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

God-loving-drat I am sore. 6 hours in a UPS truck today. The driver told me he wants me with him whenever possible, saying that I bust my rear end more than 99% of the seasonal helpers he's worked with. It's a 20 minute drive for me to meet up with him, but we seem to get along really well.

And bust my rear end I did. Or kneecaps anyway. Only took my sunglasses, since yesterday we finished before dark. Didn't have my regular ones (they were back in my car), tripped over a massive crack in a sidewalk while not wearing glasses in the dark. 193 pounds slammed into my kneecaps, then palms. Upside is I chucked the package into the lawn on my way down, so it didn't get damaged, and I don't have any bruises. Palms are skinned a little, but no blood. Driver was freaking out thinking he'd have to report an injury (and also lose his helper halfway through a bitch of a route). Knee caps only hurt for about 15 minutes, the only things that hurt now are the things that always hurt when I go from sedentary to walking/running a lot in short order (shins, ankles, calves).

Nothing some ibuprofin won't fix if I do wind up being sore in the morning. Good thing I went with jeans today; I was originally going to wear shorts. If I'd done that my knees would have been bleeding pretty good. He handed me one of his flashlights afterwards and told me to use it on the sidewalks; he said he busted his rear end a few days ago over the same thing (busted sidewalk at night).

Get a headtorch. You may feel that you look like a dick, but its worth it as it will leave your hands free either to carry stuff properly or to use to stop yourself going over and faceplanting anything.

Sounds like you're doing OK with that guy, and geting paid for getting some exercise!

CornHolio posted:

I posted a controversial article on Facebook yesterday, then went and played videogames, ate dinner and helped my son with his homework. Came back to it to see it had something like 150+ replies because CommieGIR and Kastein were arguing with my uncle and cousin. It was really fuckin' hilarious. I think it's still simmering, too.
I need more AI people on my faceballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

can you solder? if so go poke around in my truck thread for a bt amplifier i bought off ebay. works pretty well.

I've now been waiting 5 weeks for my £3 ebay chinese MP3/Bluetooth/USB audio front panel to arrive :argh:

The £5 ebay chinese amp and all the connectors I need have arrived. Its quite frustrating.

I've also bought pretty much an entire gameboy from china and now have all the parts except the case and the buttons - which are the main bits I need in order to start construction

• Locked thread