Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

idgi :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hi Willie!

CommieGIR posted:

See Cage's post in October thread.
Oh :downs:

Dagen H posted:

Because there's a dollars sign, and also the word dollars
Not that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have enough candy for approx 400 kids. My record is just over 200.

I think I'll have extra.

:)

Also, Mrs Slidebite and I rewatched Panic Room this past weekend. Forgot how I liked it.

Question (and I'll spoiler in the off chance someone here hasn't seen it)

When the cops first come to the door and she sends them away saying there is no problem, how did they know she really was in trouble? I am assuming that one cop somehow did and he came back with the SWAT team 10 minutes later

Also, Dwight Yoakam plays a creepy, ugly fucker way better than he should.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I too would be curious about this. Doesn't your offer to purchase, let alone title say the land location as "In the city of" or something like that? Did the property taxes not even come up in purchasing?

Sounds like an epic cluster.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

150+ kids in the last 1:30

Might blow well over 200 this year

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ended up with 247 kids.

At first I was being overly generous with 2 bags of chips, chocolate bar and generic candy thing. After about the first hour I thought it wise to cut back.

By 8, totally ran out of chocolate and candy. Closed up shop at 8:30. Still have some doritos/cheetos leftover in reserve which will go to work tomorrow or else I'll eat them if they stay at home. :btroll:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sidewalk gum posted:

Err, phrasing?
:holymoley:

Yeah, that could have been said better LOL

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If it's direct ignition, igniters are a common wear part and die. Be careful if you decide to replace it, the bases are generally ceramic and easily crack. Ask me how I know.

If it has a pilot light I'd call the furnace guys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, there is real value to using a reputable company and it's worth extra for some piece of mind. That said, 2x sounds fishy though if they are literally the exact same thing. Is the other company quoting the exact same brand/model of furnace? Any accessories?

Something has to be different or the other company bids super low to get the job and then SURPRISE WE FOUND THIS OUT AS WE'RE INSTALLING IT AND IT'S GOING TO BE $$RAPE$$ EXTRA. SORRY!

CharlesM posted:

Huh, I guess a Chinese knock-off Jeep parts company that's cloning products had the gall to exhibit at SEMA where the original company was showing too.
They got busted and their stuff seized :D
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sema-2016-counterfeiters-busted-by-us-marshalls/ar-AAjRwzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

That is awesome, although the company is probably going to just forfeit their stuff, gently caress off and just start peddling their poo poo again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Going way out on a limb here I know, but Trump's going to lose, claim it was rigged, discrepancies at polling locations, recounts ordered, court proceedings, this won't be out of the news cycle for a while yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iwentdoodie posted:

Someone in my upper khaki leadership just sent out a pro trump gloating group text.

10 more loving months...

The world will end before that. When he gets the football he's going to try it just to make sure it's real.

Also, I am NOT looking at my life savings in investments for at least a few weeks. I think I have it spread between equities/fixed income pretty well but holy poo poo. all bets are off. Hold onto yer butts.

There will be contesting and recounts, but that colorful individual is going to win.

Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming. I knew she was hated, but wow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So we had some fun as this election bullshit was going on.

Getting ready for bed and hear a couple hard bangs, SMASH. Mrs. Slidebite looked out the window and yelled for me, I flew up the stairs and couldn't find her. Grabbed some clothes (I was getting ready for bed of course) and ran back in and said to call 911 repeating a plate number.

Turns out some fuckhead pulled up next to my company truck on the side of my house and smashed both front and back windows. Mrs. went outside, yelled at him, ran behind his car to get his plate, and he threw it in reverse trying to run her over. By this time 3 other neighbors were outside watching this. She jumped out of the way so she's fine.

BUT, instead of taking off, went 40' around the corner and tried to do the same thing to a neighbors car.. with my neighbors plainly watching. Took out his hatchet and started wailing on it with the handle side (??). Other neighbor from across the street yelled at him and came running over, fuckhead tried to back over him too and then took off.

End of the night and several 911 calls later, cops came by, statements taken and got some info. It looks like this guy started doing this in a totally different section of town about half hour earlier and spread to the other end of town. The cop that took our statement said something like 40 people were hit and it sounded like there was another cop doing a different bunch. Supposedly they had the guy and we'll find out more today, supposedly though my truck was the last one. I'll post a couple pics and more info later.

Jesus what a clusterfuck last night was.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember one of the local Walmarts had Virtual Boys marked down to like $25 after a year. Honestly wish I'd grabbed one.

I grabbed 6. I still have 2. Wish I didn't sell the other 4 years ago. Just sold my last BNIB Jag console this summer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gah, I haven't been able to have a good restful sleep for weeks now. Get tired, fall asleep easy enough around midnight, but I just keep tossing and turning from about 2-3AM on, and finally just get out of bed after about 5 or 6 hours ragged rear end tired.

Made a point of not drinking any alcohol at all for the past few days or eating snack foods either. No difference. I want to try exercising a bit more (maybe running on the treadmill for a bit in the early evenings) but I am so tired it's tough to get the energy to do it. I tried a couple of types of sleep aids (antihistamine nd Zopiclone), but all they do is make me even more exhausted in the morning. :( The wife says I'm not snoring so I don't think it's like apnea or anything like that, and I'm a stomach/side sleeper anyhow.

Also, started watching "The Crown" on Netflix with the wife. Only about 3 episodes in but it's better than I expected it to be. Production values and acting are really good.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Had a somber beginning to the day. We went to the funeral of a friend of ours. He was only 30 years old. Stage four cancer. He fought for a few years. Had it licked too. He and his wife have three young children ranging from 5 to under two. They just got home from a trip together and on the ride home from the airport he started feeling really off. Went to the hospital to find out he was having a heart attack. He was placed in a medical induced coma so that they could get his kids and family there to say goodbye. This guy was clean living his whole life and so positive. The take away from words his wife shared was that he always said 'if you can't change it, you might as well enjoy it'.

I truly hate cancer.

gently caress cancer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BraveUlysses posted:

Have you tried melatonin? Best sleep aid and its natural.
Actually, I am pretty sure I do have small bottle melatonin, but you know I haven't tried it in ages. Thanks for the reminder, I totally forgot about it.

As a side and I suspect you are well aware of this, keep in mind the whole "natural" thing should be taken with a grain of salt especially when it comes to supplements.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry, posted the update in the Alberta thread.

slidebite posted:

So here is a post I did in the chat thread

So here was the truck this morning after cleanup was underway. Also noticed the Tacoma drew blood from the crackhead, only on the outside though so at least it isn't a bio-hazard for cleanup. I hope he gets an infection and dies. Found out he did this to about 10 vehicles, pretty much all of which had witnesses but he just kept on doing it anyway. :wtc: In my case, the guy down the road caught him red handed breaking windows on 2 of his vehicles, and he just literally drove 100m up the road to my house to continue his escapade, in plain view of the guy the just caught him.

Got a call out of the blue from a lady after I got into work, and she found something with my business card in her front yard. So I went to her house and picked it up and she had a bunch of other crap which wasn't mine which was just dumped so I took it all and went to the police station.

End of the day, they have the guy and he has about 20 charges including 2 assault with a weapon (trying to run over Mrs. Slidebite and another), a slew of mischief, breach of recognizance and evading police. So here's to hoping gently caress stick isn't out later today.

No real updates other than that. The police said hope to keep him either until he pleads out/sentencing. The cops told me they have a proverbial mountain of evidence against him and he'd be crazy to try and go to trial.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

Lord help me. I'm looking at what Trabant ownership is like.

Hahaha do I even want to ask how or why this came up?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My mum passed away soon after I got to the hospital.

So sorry to hear that man, glad you were able to see her though.

:(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Haha that was pretty good

BraveUlysses posted:

Have you tried melatonin? Best sleep aid and its natural.
Just an update for you, I really think the Melatonin has helped. I am sleeping much, much better through the night and only waking up maybe once, and that's either because I need to take a piss or a I hear a noise.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually have 2 Costco bottles :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ever since I discovered camelcamel I have used it for all my amazon purchases and research. Doesn't have everthing but does have most.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Ireland is the best it has ever been. The unemployment rate is all the way down to 28% and there's only a 1 in 10 chance of a potato famine week to week.
:lol:

The immigration talk from average Americans and Canadians is fascinating at election time because for some bizarre reason so many retards seem to think it's utterly trivial to just pack your poo poo up and immigrate to the other country.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buy a Bosch, even a cheap one, and never go back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Devyl posted:

Sooooooo Ford pulled a bunch of contracts from our company to move them to Canada. Reason? Cheaper labor and costs. In other words, about 75 people and myself lost our jobs a few days ago. Sucks, especially being so close to Christmas. However I just got a call today from GM for a job at the Corvette assembly plant right up the road starting December 3rd-4th. I interview on the 1st, so I might be building Corvettes soon.
Canada is pretty much on a deep discount sale right now and likely will be for some time yet because of oil and most commodities taking a big poo poo. That combined with Ford already having a massive presence and supplier network it's not terribly surprising. Hope it works out for you though boss. Building Vettes would be way cooler anyhow :cool:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just an FYI to my fellow Canadians: you can watch Grand Tour and other Amazon stuff on Amazon.com now if you have a Canadian Prime account. It's under the "stuff to watch when abroad" section.

Oh poo poo man, thanks for the heads-up!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I was thinking of ordering a Quickjack for working on the cars but I'm wondering, is a temporary 2 post lift like a Danmar MaxJax a completely insane idea for my lovely garage?
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

I know it's not ideally wide enough for a nice shop, but the Subaru is about 10" further left than it need be. Am I insane for even considering a removable 2-post lift?

21' wide garage, the 911 in the photo is about 8-10" further right than it should be for maximizing space between cars.

e: To be clear, the Subaru wouldn't even necessarily need to be in the garage when something was on the hoist, more for just overnight.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 23, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the insight. My buddy is an Engineer with LaFarge and they also coincidentally poured my house. He said he'd have records out the rear end for the concrete, depth of pour, PSI, ultimate strength, etc so I am confident if I go down the road of a maxjax with the slab as I'll run it by him first. I'd definitely run a metal detector for rebar before drilling for anchors.

The Quickjack was and might still be my first choice, but my biggest hesitation is if I need to do something major, like dropping the motor in the porch I'm not convinced I'd have enough height. The Maxjax would be ample obviously and more comfortable to be working with and the price really isn't a huge difference.

What are your thoughts with the anchors? Are the standard ones crappy?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What a loving train wreck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mustache Ride posted:

Happy Thanksgiving AI, is your table set?

Happy Turkey Day my American cousins.

Also: Kids table. That brings back memories.

Usually bad ones

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The only motherboards I've ever had die were Asus. All my Gigabytes kept right chugging along until the PC was useless.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone have any personal experience or recommend a wifi security camera that doesn't handcuff you to some proprietary cloud recording service or anything like that? I would also ideally like to mount outside but feeding a power cable would be a hassle for where I would like to put them, through a window might be easier at the expense of good night vision.

E: To be clear, wireless

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 27, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm still going through some archive computer stuff and found something interesting -- Intel replaced my Gateway's Pentium processor because it mathed wrong. I think that event may be older than some of the posters here. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug
I remember that. IIRC, it was a PR nightmare because of Intel trying to push everyone to Pentium from the 486 architecture... and then that happened.

More recently ran into the Linux/Broadwell bug on my gaming laptop when playing a game of TF2. Luckily, that was patched with a BIOS update, but it seems the odds are not improving going forward.

http://danluu.com/cpu-bugs/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I got a bizarre phone call from an ex-client this morning. I used to deal with him a couple of years ago before he was fired from his previous employer. He was an "Engineer" (quotes on purpose, I don't think he was recognized as one by our governing body) and I think he got his degree in Zimbabwe or something. He was basically fired for incompetence from what I understand.

Anyhow, calls me out of the blue and makes some small talk. After a couple minutes the reason of the call is very apparent. He asks me to be a reference for him.

Sure I say. I kind of liked the guy and had few problems working with him. Seemed a little disorganized in some ways, but my dealings were generally positive so I really would have no problem doing it.

As we're hanging up, he asks for my email address which I give him, but he then says - "I'll send you a short email with what I need you to say if they call."

I reply "Well, I'll read what you send but if I am a reference I'm going to answer the questions as best I can although I'll keep in mind any highlights you have which you think I should point out."

"Of course, of course.. that's all I can ask." he says.

So I get an email from him an hour later and it's largely some script that has me saying how great a leader and team player he was, how diligent he is and how he reported to me on some major projects (I was involved, but not his supervisor in any shape or form - he was my client). Basically how awesome he is at lowering costs and performing better than expected.

He actually asks me to say his weaknesses are that he's a perfectionist, values work over family (works way to hard) and can't say no to what his superiors ask.

I think I can give him a positive reference, but I don't think I can say what he's asking me to because I simply don't know it to be true... and it's sort of awkward because any prospective employee is going to ask my relationship to him and will probably wonder how I would know some of what he's asking me to say.

I've been a professional reference for a few people in the past, but I've never been asked to be one like this.

:psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is he one of the guys who was suing APEGA?
You mean the loon who made a human rights case which is now going to the courts about repeatedly not passing exams that everyone needs to pass (even Canadian students) because he's an immigrant? No. Not that guy.

Tomarse posted:

I think i'd struggle to lie/be creative like that even for a close friend. For an acquaintance like him that you only hear from every few years I would just be truthful.

From my employing people and HR experience I would guess that only a negative reference is going to stop anyone getting the job unless its really really close between two candidates and they can't decide.
From your post it sounds like you're going to be positive about him anyway so just be truthful.
I'm not going to lie, I can't do that. I work in a relatively small industry where everyone knows everyone (more or less) so even if I could lie, or be very creative, I couldn't. It's odd that the guy is pretty much outright asking me to do just that though with parroting things that I wouldn't realistically have a way to know. It's bizarre to me that someone thinks a person wouldn't have a problem doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

You could almost certain do everything you've listed in a Tacoma.

As a Tacoma driver, they are over priced as hell and have awful fuel economy. If I were looking for a used pick up, go domestic.

• Locked thread