Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Out November 1st, 2016

9 years in the making, its finally coming out. If you don't know, this game has been in development hell for nearly a decade, but apparently it came together and is good. In those years indie games with pixel art went from being novel, to hitting their stride, to becoming cloyingly ubiquitous, to being a degenerate "art" form where every character has 1 pixel legs and a flat crotch; Google "fist of awesome" for an example. Owlboy looks like its from a different era, and its refreshing to see a modicum of care in graphics and animations again.

Just take a look at this video to get the general vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdzIVXkESbc

Q: What is the game?
It's a Zelda inspired sidescroller with flying, exploring, and shooting.

I played a demo of this game 8 years ago and you explore dungeons, solve puzzles, and there's a mechanic where you lift your buddies into the air and use them as different ranged weapons, sorta like Tails in Sonic 3 but if Sonic had a gun.

Here's some shotties:

Check out the reviews:

$25 PC only, for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The art is incredible. Know if there are any plans to port to console or handheld?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

bloodychill posted:

The art is incredible. Know if there are any plans to port to console or handheld?

Other platforms are "TBA" for now. I'd wager they're coming but it'll be a good while.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I had honestly completely forgotten about this.

It looks super good though. I'm glad to finally see it coming out.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

With art like that no wonder it took so long.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm amazed this game has actually come out, last I heard of it was years ago which was basically just a small update saying "we still exist".

It's real good so far. I just got a health upgrade by sitting in a hot spring, GOTY.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 1, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Looks like a real hoot!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arby's social media team is rather on point today. :swoon:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The cannon minigame is brutally hard and I don't think I will ever be able to beat it. Hope there's nothing too cool locked behind it.

I'm near the end of the game, I'm probably not going to bother with all the coins but I'd like to find the three gold medallions. I got and inserted one, and I saw another in an early dungeon, but I have no idea where the third is or where to put it.

Overall it's been a really fun game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This color palette sorta reminds me of PS1 era Capcom and I'm really digging it

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is this meant to be played with a controller or KB+M? Using a keyboard right now and the controls feel a bit weird but maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So is this game worth picking up now? like is this a development hell success story and not a Duke Nukem Forever deal?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A Cup of Ramen posted:

So is this game worth picking up now? like is this a development hell success story and not a Duke Nukem Forever deal?

I've played it for 2.5 hours so far and it's really really good. All of the pixel art is top-tier, there's lots of little animations they could have done without but done anyway, including lots of expressions for the main character despite him being mute. Gameplay is chill and a lot of fun (for the most part; just got through a boss fight that took a couple tries because it's one of those ones where you run away from the boss but it goes too fast); areas are big and open and the flying feels good. Definitely worth the price tag.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Regy Rusty posted:

The cannon minigame is brutally hard and I don't think I will ever be able to beat it. Hope there's nothing too cool locked behind it.

I'm near the end of the game, I'm probably not going to bother with all the coins but I'd like to find the three gold medallions. I got and inserted one, and I saw another in an early dungeon, but I have no idea where the third is or where to put it.

Overall it's been a really fun game

How long do you think it takes someone that's decent at Platforming/Action Adventures to beat the game? I'm thinking about buying it, because I love the art, but if it's rather short I'll wait until it's cheaper.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

I put about an hour into it and i'm incredibly impressed so far, although its taking me a while to get used to the triggers controlling the throw and stuff

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
This game currently needs windows media player to run, fyi. It crashes on leaving the first house if you don't have it.

Frustrated, the intro certainly gripped me and I was interested to see where it was going, but I'm not reinstalling WMP for this, so gonna wait for that patch I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

This game currently needs windows media player to run, fyi. It crashes on leaving the first house if you don't have it.

Frustrated, the intro certainly gripped me and I was interested to see where it was going, but I'm not reinstalling WMP for this, so gonna wait for that patch I guess.

That's...a really weird issue.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Finally got a chance to play, made it to the second dungeon. The polish and care really shines through. I give it a worth installing windows media player/10

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

How long do you think it takes someone that's decent at Platforming/Action Adventures to beat the game? I'm thinking about buying it, because I love the art, but if it's rather short I'll wait until it's cheaper.

I'm decent at those so let's see - I've played about 7 hours so far. Scouring for coins and the golden disks would probably take a couple hours. I'm not sure how much of the main plot is left but I think it seems like one final dungeon (I could be wrong though).

So I'd guess about 10 hours if you do everything which is the estimate I heard going in. I'm not gonna get all the coins most likely so depending on how long it takes me to find the disks I'll probably finish a bit faster.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

lmao

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's an appropriate price for the game considering how loving good it looks. And it have does have ~10 hours of playtime that's about right for this sort of game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Game is good and cool and so are the devs. The reason it took almost ten years is that the two main guys have other jobs and also received a yearly stipend from the government so they could take their time.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Played through the first dungeon and drat this really exceeded my expectations. The visuals and sound are incredible, the difficulty curve is just right so you can play through unimpeded without being mindlessly simple, and I really like how the coins are a collectable instead of a currency you have to spend so you don't feel like you're wasting money on the silly cosmetic things. I've only played one real level but the level design is really nice too - I like how you just naturally arrive back at rooms that had some sort of progression blocking mechanism without having to backtrack and without it feeling like a really obvious contrived loop. More than anything though this game just has an absolutely amazing amount of personality, the art and music and writing and everything just come together really well and even if I come across some level I end up not liking I'll probably be able to overlook it because this game is so loving charming.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
they fixed the bug that wouldn't let my game work

bump because I'm making my way to the floating continent and I can state confidently this game is worth the 25 bucks no question

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's been a while since I've been so impressed by how nice a game looks.

Also Otus is the most precious videogame character bar none

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I burst out laughing the first time I tried out the cannon game, it was really fun.

Also this game's soundtrack is amazing - the last one I liked this much was Undertale's, hahaha. Tropos' daytime track is so uplifting. :3:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Y'all this game is really loving good and I can't help but think after 9 years of dev time they could have waited a bit longer for a better time to release than "in the middle of loving Battlefield, Titanfall, and Call of Duty season." :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just finished the game. Very good and absolutely worth the price tag, although like a lot of games the ending was a bit unfulfilling. The stuff with the ancient Owls should have been foreshadowed a bit earlier, as it is it's just kind of all dumped on you in the final area. They never give enough info on what The Loop is, either, even with the Owl audio logs in the secret area (though what information you do get is pretty good). I also wasn't a fan of how it just ends off on a screen showing the world restored; given the detail put into the game I was expecting a (short) playable section of the restored world. Certainly not bad, but lower in quality than the rest of the game.

kurona_bright posted:

I burst out laughing the first time I tried out the cannon game, it was really fun.

Also this game's soundtrack is amazing - the last one I liked this much was Undertale's, hahaha. Tropos' daytime track is so uplifting. :3:

Not a fan of the cannon game, personally. The way your momentum works in it is very strange and non-intuitive. Not to mention having to get all those drat rings if you want all the coins from it.

The OST is loving great, though. Especially some of the more epic boss tracks; not the kind of stuff I would have expected the game to have.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

It's been a while since I've been so impressed by how nice a game looks.

Also Otus is the most precious videogame character bar none

I'm a little over two hours in and this poor kid needs a hug in the worst way.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Genocyber posted:

Just finished the game. Very good and absolutely worth the price tag, although like a lot of games the ending was a bit unfulfilling. The stuff with the ancient Owls should have been foreshadowed a bit earlier, as it is it's just kind of all dumped on you in the final area. They never give enough info on what The Loop is, either, even with the Owl audio logs in the secret area (though what information you do get is pretty good). I also wasn't a fan of how it just ends off on a screen showing the world restored; given the detail put into the game I was expecting a (short) playable section of the restored world. Certainly not bad, but lower in quality than the rest of the game.

I was really hoping for unlocking the owl archive to give you some kind of extra dialogue with Solus but sadly that wasn't the case.

Still now that I've beaten it it's def one of my favourite games to have come out this year so far. Not sure if I'm going for all the achievements because I dread having to perfect the Boguin minigame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I wonder how much of this was revised during its nine-year development time, because a lot of it reminded me strongly of Bastion, right down to the general themes of correcting mistakes, failures of communication, and not getting caught up in the past. The Hex is basically a find-replace for the Calamity, as well.

I like to think the Loop involved Owl society eventually becoming so advanced that they broke time and started rewinding the universe, which would explain their existential panic at its discovery and the drastic measures they took to undo it. But I can respect the game's decision to leave the whole matter vague.

Also, the final act of the game has some deeply depressing Easter eggs, good Lord. The hot springs guy is chilling below the ruins of the capital, reminiscing on his dead wife and cheerfully telling Otus that "the world ended for [him] long ago." The frozen remains of the drummer's little brother are in a cave hidden behind Twig's house. The shell unlocks a short scene where Otus stands on a desolate patch of earth and tries to hear the dead speaking to him. The game throws awfully dark without ever getting caught up in edginess or angst like, for example, Freedom Planet did.

I never did find out what happened to Strix and his boys, though. Dropped thread, maybe.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Is an upgrade for Twig cut content or something? There's a menu slot and a shelf at Buccanary's shop indicating there should be one but AFAIK there isn't.

I gotta say my one big gripe about the game is that 100% completion is way more trouble than it's worth. A lot of the coins are behind entirely unmarked fake walls and you don't even get the luxury of other players' hints you'd have with similar stuff in something like Dark Souls.

Edit: Nvm they actually do mark those walls. Most of the time there are those tiny flies near them.

Nina fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Holy crap. Found the secret Noctae holo-log completely by chance. Wasn't expecting to run into a plot twist way after beating the game. Kinda makes me wanna do another playthrough once I 100% the game and see if it feels any different in the light of the revelation.

Oxxidation posted:

I like to think the Loop involved Owl society eventually becoming so advanced that they broke time and started rewinding the universe, which would explain their existential panic at its discovery and the drastic measures they took to undo it. But I can respect the game's decision to leave the whole matter vague.

Noctae makes it sound like the Loop will repeat itself again even with the owls gone since he hopes Otus' actions going against his calculations will make the next cycle significantly different, maybe allowing Noctae to live and stop Aegolius' disastrous attempt with the poorly constructed Hex.

Nina fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 9, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
What does the item you get for collecting all the coins do?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

What does the item you get for collecting all the coins do?

It's an upgrade to your owl cloak. Your dodge is faster and more violent, your spin attack is stronger and bigger, and both of these give you iframes for the entirety of the animation. If you spam either one you're basically invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I really liked this game. The whole flying mechanic was a great way of giving freedom of movement while still being a side scrolling perspective.

It's a good length with incredible polish.

I think it'd have been nice to go to another town or something. It feels like a very small world. But that's just because I want to experience more of it.

I had control issues of being hit during a boss fight, not realizing it, and thus not carrying someone, and so being unable to fire/dodge/shield. Then taking my eye off the boss and the projectiles to look at me again to make sure I'm carrying again, which causes distraction. In the end I typically either did really well on boss fights, or got into a death spiral. I really disliked how when you lost party members it would change what number went with teleporting in different people.

Nina posted:

Holy crap. Found the secret Noctae holo-log completely by chance. Wasn't expecting to run into a plot twist way after beating the game. Kinda makes me wanna do another playthrough once I 100% the game and see if it feels any different in the light of the revelation.

Where was this?

• Locked thread