Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for October, 2016?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 42 52.50%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 5 6.25%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.25%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 4 5.00%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) 1 1.25%
:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Woman's Champion) 7 8.75%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 17 21.25%
:nignog: THESE are the Options!?! (None of the Above) 3 3.75%
Total: 80 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

While I stupidly forgot to add Becky Lynch to the poll last month, it probably wouldn't have made a giant difference as AJ Styles had a clear victory to return once more as a winner of the Rowdy Ringsports monthly poll, though for the first time ever as a WWE Champion.

Now it's time for Rowdy Ringsports to pick their Pro-Wrestling Champion for this month. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Due to popular demand, PWG Champions and the WWE Women's Champion are now included in the poll. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish. Note that the PWG Champ, Open the Dream Gate Champ and IWGP IC CHampion are not on the poll this month die to a lack of title matches/angles this month.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - AJ spent the month frustrated as his initial plan to get an easy match out of newly beloved comedy jobber James Ellsworth blew up in his face. Thanks to Dean Ambrose, AJ Styles suffered two (non-title) losses to Ellsworth which drove him into a fury, leading him to demand a match against Ambrose. In a very good match, AJ retained when his assault on a ringside Ellsworth saw the jobber fight back and deliver one hell of a No Chin Music superkick to the champion... and then realize that he'd cost Ambrose his title match. Where to next? Well wherever it is, for AJ he'll be going as Champion.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - With a new Best Friend Forever in Chris Jericho, Owens was extremely confident in his ability to defeat Seth Rollins even in a Hell in a Cell match. Though some teasing of possible troubles between JeriKO was there, in the end Jericho was the deciding factor in getting Owens his win. The two beat up on Seth Rollins after Jericho got his way into the cell, with Owens retaining and warning Roman Reigns that if he wants to take a shot at the belt he will have his work cut out for him.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - After months of beating EVERYBODY in match after match, Bobby Lashley decided to finally take things easy and picked Eddie Edwards as an easy beat for his next title match... and lost! Was he deserting a sinking ship in light of TNA's many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many financial, legal and creative troubles? It seems not given his surprise promo after a dominant win in an MMA fight in which he called out Edwards.

:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Changing Champions at this point in TNA felt kinda like the deckchairs being rearranged on the Titanic, but on the last day of the month it turned out that TNA had yet again somehow escaped reality and would continue to limp along for at least a few months. Eddie Edwards, a former Poll winner from his time in ROH, has an opportunity to prove once again he is main event material. He had a good start when he defeated former WWE star Cody Rhodes, and while we don't know what the future holds that's the future's problem, vote on what he did this month.

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - On the road to Final Battle where he will face old team-mate/friend Kyle O'Reilly in a Fight without Honour, Cole has kept his winning streak going with two title victories over Silas Young and Bull James (formerly NXT's Bull Dempsey.

Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - October was a month of highs and lows for Sasha. Defeating Charlotte on the first Raw of the month to regain the Women's Title, she spent October excited over the historic first ever Women's Hell in a Cell match. This kicked off a lot of discussion regarding the changing status of women in wrestling, the signficance of putting them in the Cell, whether that was something to be pleased/proud of or not, and whether they should or would be the Main Event of the PPV. Unfortunately a lot of that discussion did NOT happen on WWE TV, or when it did it was largely mishandled outside of a (divisive) promo by Mick Foley. In the end, a last minute decision was made to put the women in the ACTUAL Main Event spot in Sasha's hometown and...... then Sasha lost the belt in an abrupt and rather heatless finish to a mess of a match with a few highpoints. Oh well.

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Charlotte regained the belt she lost at the start of the month, but what should have been a crowning moment of her career largely fell flat. Now her focus appears to be on leading the Women's Team for the upcoming Survivor Series PPV, but also with one careful eye on fellow Four Horsewoman Bayley who she suspects will be moving into the Sasha-shaped hole.

:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) - Dario Cueto has continued to throw wrestler after wrestler at his brother (THE MONSTER MATANZA) with glee, watching as Matanza defeated one after the other. While this has been taking its toll on Matanza, the only wrestler to really give him pause was Prince Puma near the start of the month, where it seemed the former Champion had the Monster beaten till interference by Mil Muertes. Killshot also suffered at Matanza's hands, and an arrogant Dario proclaimed that Matanza was so dominant that this year he would enter Aztec Warfare at number 1 and defeat ALL the other competitors. Will that finally prove a bridge too far for Matanza? Time will tell, but for October he continues to stand tall (as tall as he can anyway) as Lucha Underground's Champion.

:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Woman's Champion) - Returning from an unspecified medical condition that put the kibosh on her planned title defense against Alexa Bliss, the two picked right up where they left off. Insulting and provoking each other (The "Doombo"/"How dare you!" exchange was particularly good) the two broke down into a brawl within moments but it was Alexa who got the upper hand. Has Becky returned only to see her title taken from her? Not yet at least, as for this month (and it should have been for last month too, sorry!) she is the Smackdown Women's Champion.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada had - surprise, surprise - an unbelievably good match at the start of the month against NOAH's Naomichi Marufuji. Enjoying heeling it up a bit, Okada enjoyed not only facing a wrestler capable of keeping up with him but one largely outside of the frequent opponents he usually faces. The crowd was hot, the NOAH members at ringside freaking out at appropriate moments added to the atmosphere, and both wrestlers just gave everything they had and over-delivered on the goods. Now with two of the guys who handed him G1 Losses taken care of, Okada can look forward to Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom in January of 2017, but don't overlook him this month (unless you thought somebody else was better) and remember the sensational match these two had.

:nignog: THESE are the Options!?! (None of the Above) - If your eyes are bugging out of your head at the shocking poor choice of options, then this is the option for you. Vote None of the Above, post who you would have preferred to be on the poll even! Just remember, plenty of people often say,"<X> should be on the poll!" but very few actually bother to send me monthly reports on that Champion/Belt when I ask them too! There are already probably too many options on the poll as it is, and you might need to be satisfied with just saying,"None of the Above!"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Free Eddie Edwards

from not winning this poll

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

voted none of the above as a protest until TNA Grand Champion Aron Rex is added to the poll

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
(it's) Free (to vote for) Eddie Edwards (in this poll)

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
:homebrew:

Okada had a loving great match with Marufuji so my vote is there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

:homebrew:

Okada had a loving great match with Marufuji so my vote is there.

I feel kinda bad in that almost every month Okada delivers some incredible match and I go,"Well it was amazing sure.... but it wasn't the 6 Star Perfection that was Okada/Tanahashi at the Dome in the first week of January so I'm kinda let down...."

I'm so spoiled :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 1, 2016

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

AJ's chin versus Ellsworths lack of chin is both goofy and compelling. It doesn't make AJ look weak, it doesn't over-inflate the jobbers ability, and it all works in character. It is also leading towards/furthering a good feud in Ambrose and AJ.

These are all good reasons to vote for Mr Styles.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm giving my vote to the Rainmaker. As great as the AJ/Elseworth/Ambrose storyline has been, and as solid as the match Ambrose and AJ worked on Smackdown to push it to its current peak, I can't help but feel like Styles is the least important guy to the story. That doesn't make the STORY bad or AJ a bad champion by any stretch, but I consider it a mark against him in the vote for this month, and the big match was not good enough to make up for that.

I actually really want to vote for Owens. He's freaking incredible. That HITC match was one of the best I've seen in years and I imagine one of the best that could be had in a PG environment, and his week-by-week matches have been entertaining from the cut up versions I've watched on youtube. His promos have been on point, especially the last one at HITC, and his friendship with Jericho has been hilarious... but this angle with Rollins is just so much hot garbage. Rollins is trying his best with the material he's being given, but the material sucks and he's struggling to adapt his character to the Face role because he's not being given the character development he needs. Steph and Foley are like albatrosses around the neck of the whole business as well. For all the great Owens is offering as Champion, its not in a vacuum, and I can't divorce his work from the framework it stands. A lot of months he would still win the vote despite that, but not this time.

Okada's angle with Marufuji is by a wide margin the best one he's had this year. It was impactful, it was tense, it was built perfectly from the G1 to the ending, he played his role perfectly and nobody else involved was any less great, and in the end he put on a world-class match to blow it off, one which also had the benefit of being with an incredibly fresh opponent that he made look like a million bucks in the process. It was a lightning in a bottle scenario, and he didn't miss a single jiggawatt when he caught it.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Its aj styles again. He's been the best thing in wrestling this year.

Shoutout to becky, sasha, and eddie for all being cool tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Voting for Eddie Edwards as a proxy vote for TNA, which won against all odds to survive yet again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AJ is the best but I hope I can vote for Alexa Bliss next month

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Jerusalem posted:

:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) - Dario Cueto has continued to throw wrestler after wrestler at his brother (THE MONSTER MATANZA) with glee, watching as Matanza defeated one after the other. While this has been taking its toll on Matanza, the only wrestler to really give him pause was Prince Puma near the start of the month, where it seemed the former Champion had the Monster beaten till interference by Mil Muertes. Killshot also suffered at Matanza's hands, and an arrogant Dario proclaimed that Matanza was so dominant that this year he would enter Aztec Warfare at number 1 and defeat ALL the other competitors. Will that finally prove a bridge too far for Matanza? Time will tell, but for October he continues to stand tall (as tall as he can anyway) as Lucha Underground's Champion.

:nono:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

IcePhoenix posted:

AJ is the best but I hope I can vote for Alexa Bliss next month

Io Shirai would also be acceptable, though that's partially on me for thinking someone else would write her up. She had some excellent matches, and her match from the 30th was apparently excellent too (I haven't had a chance to watch it)

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

LET GO EDDIE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TNA only just managed to get the monkey glands it needed to eke out another agonizing few months of near-death and you want them to fire their Champion? That's cruel!

:angel:

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Voting Okada for the Marufuji match, though AJ's been great, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A lower than normal turnout for October, I'm sure partly down to me forgetting to keep needling people to vote. The result never seemed in doubt though, AJ Styles becomes the second wrestler this year to win two months in a row and continues WWE's return to the winning circle after a dry first six months.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lets do retroactive polls for those three months in 2008

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Super No Vacancy posted:

lets do retroactive polls for those three months in 2008

I'm down for this. A quick google tells me we'd get Nakamura vs Edge vs Angle vs Nigel vs Orton

I think i'd vote edge

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It would just be Nigel McGuinness for those three months, as he proved scientifically and mathematically during that period that not only was he the best wrestler in the world, but that Clamdigger Danielson had dropped down the rankings even below that Nazi Castagonads!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know it's a bit harder to gauge with indies, but was Morishima being champ good for ROH, business-wise?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know it's a bit harder to gauge with indies, but was Morishima being champ good for ROH, business-wise?

Can't really speak for how it worked for business overall, but personally speaking seeing that angry baby demolish wrestlers was a big part of the appeal that got me into ROH in the first place.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Remember that episode of Rugrats where Angelica is afraid of having a baby brother and she has the nightmare about the giant angry baby that is trying to eat her? Morishima is that baby, and he's great.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

NienNunb posted:

Remember that episode of Rugrats where Angelica is afraid of having a baby brother and she has the nightmare about the giant angry baby that is trying to eat her?

And then... Charlotte had a miscarriage? Am I remembering that right?

That's hosed up, Rugrats.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cubone posted:

And then... Charlotte had a miscarriage? Am I remembering that right?

That's hosed up, Rugrats.

It sounds like you might be correct but they were sorta vague about it.

http://screencrush.com/weirdest-rugrats-episodes/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if Dragon Gate will pull out the late year win with an awesome title match for the 3rd year in a row.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

thank god AJ Styles, the best wrestler in the world right now, ended that horrible streak of garbagepeople winning the monthly poll for no other reason than "they just won the title"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HerraS posted:

thank god AJ Styles, the best wrestler in the world right now, ended that horrible streak of garbagepeople winning the monthly poll for no other reason than "they just won the title"

Well known terrible worker Kevin Owens, hmm, yes

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 9, 2016

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if Dragon Gate will pull out the late year win with an awesome title match for the 3rd year in a row.

it's been a weird year. a lot of people think T-Hawk has the next reign, but I don't see that happening before the new year. Maybe YAMATO vs Doi for FINAL GATE? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

it's been a weird year. a lot of people think T-Hawk has the next reign, but I don't see that happening before the new year. Maybe YAMATO vs Doi for FINAL GATE? I dunno.
After the MX disband and Doi/Kotoka getting kicked out of Verserk, there are a ton of free agents now. My theory is we'll see a new unit form around a Speed Muscle reunion.

• Locked thread