Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I bet they wish the regular season would end at the end of October, at the very least.

In the mean time, have some tweets:

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/793164704420130817

https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/792828896324517888

https://twitter.com/MikaZibanejad/status/793209179800502272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Really pulling for the Sens to do well.

That just sucks :(

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go cats and hawks and sharks and avs and preds and jackets and oilers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I missed this but why is Halak asking for a trade/Islanders are looking to trade him?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

I missed this but why is Halak asking for a trade/Islanders are looking to trade him?

It mostly has to do with the Islanders having three goalies on the roster. Here's a pretty good breakdown of the situation: http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/10/halaks-unhappy-available.html

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/793461090806038528

I, for one, welcome the Metro Division defenseman wars between Provorov, Hanifin and Werenski.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

It mostly has to do with the Islanders having three goalies on the roster. Here's a pretty good breakdown of the situation: http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/10/halaks-unhappy-available.html

TL;DR: Alan Walsh moaned about a client's ice time on twitter again.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

drat what a great costume from Raffi Torres again

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I was reading some of Steve Zipay's posts from yesterday and it sounds like the lineup for tonight could be interesting. Zipay was saying Kreider will be back in the lineup and go on a line with Zibanejad and Zucc, he also said after their game vs Tampa AV is going to keep Hayes, Miller, and Grabner together. So what does that mean? I can't imagine they will mess with Nash-Step-Vesey, so does that mean Buchnevich falls to the 4th line?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

So I was reading some of Steve Zipay's posts from yesterday and it sounds like the lineup for tonight could be interesting. Zipay was saying Kreider will be back in the lineup and go on a line with Zibanejad and Zucc, he also said after their game vs Tampa AV is going to keep Hayes, Miller, and Grabner together. So what does that mean? I can't imagine they will mess with Nash-Step-Vesey, so does that mean Buchnevich falls to the 4th line?

Yeah that's what the lines in practice were. Lindberg is sitting, Pirri back to center between Buch and Fast. That probably could be a decent 3rd line on a lot of teams.

I think Buch (and Pirri) will still get PP time and ultimately Grabner will end up back down on the 4th and Buch moved back up but for now that's all pretty reasonable.

The funny thing is that I don't think Zucc has been that good in general and specifically with Zibanejad and in some ways would prefer Buch on that line, but no coach in the NHL is going to put Zuccarello on the 4th line over a rookie.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

TL;DR: Alan Walsh moaned about a client's ice time on twitter again.

To be fair I think it is a bit more valid grievance than previous Twitter callouts. I don't think I've seen a team have three goalies on its roster for such a long time, and I think all three goalies as well as the team would benefit from a trade.

In Flyers news, Michael Del Zotto and Scott Laughton are both close to getting healthy and being activated off IR, but the Flyers have to do some cap wizardry to make them fit. I don't even know what their idea is, because Matt Read was their most movable player and he's started off really good this season. Ideally McDonald and/or Streit could get traded for a pair of conditional picks, but that seems unlikely this early in the season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

In Flyers news, Michael Del Zotto and Scott Laughton are both close to getting healthy and being activated off IR, but the Flyers have to do some cap wizardry to make them fit. I don't even know what their idea is, because Matt Read was their most movable player and he's started off really good this season. Ideally McDonald and/or Streit could get traded for a pair of conditional picks, but that seems unlikely this early in the season.

To be fair if there was ever a time to move Read, now might be it while his stock seems to be high, and I wouldn't be completely crushed to lose him compared to others.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

how much cap space do they need to clear? sending down MacDonald and Streit would clear a bit (don't know what their farm team roster situation is, might be tough to send both guys down)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

how much cap space do they need to clear? sending down MacDonald and Streit would clear a bit (don't know what their farm team roster situation is, might be tough to send both guys down)

It's still pretty tight if this is to be believed

E: And now Boyd Gordon is out for at least a week with an upper body injury.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 1, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

There's no way they send down Streit, he's been pretty good so far, but he's a UFA after this season and 38 years old. They could send down MacDonald, but that only gets them about $500k in cap space, which isn't even enough for Laughton, let alone MDZ.

Getting rid of both is probably not a good idea, because their next call-up would probably be T.J. Brennan. He's owned the AHL, but I think if that could translate into NHL success he would be an NHL regular by now.

DJExile posted:

To be fair if there was ever a time to move Read, now might be it while his stock seems to be high, and I wouldn't be completely crushed to lose him compared to others.

That is a good point, though they'd also have to send down a forward to fit both on the roster; my hope would be VandeVelde, but Hakstol loves him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think Hak is cooling on VDV. The bottom two lines have basically been revolving doors anyway the last couple weeks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Yeah that's what the lines in practice were. Lindberg is sitting, Pirri back to center between Buch and Fast. That probably could be a decent 3rd line on a lot of teams.

I think Buch (and Pirri) will still get PP time and ultimately Grabner will end up back down on the 4th and Buch moved back up but for now that's all pretty reasonable.

The funny thing is that I don't think Zucc has been that good in general and specifically with Zibanejad and in some ways would prefer Buch on that line, but no coach in the NHL is going to put Zuccarello on the 4th line over a rookie.

I think that's a really good fourth line that could mesh a bit. Buch has been comfortable passing, more than shooting, and Pirri shoots a lot. Fourth line means softer matchups, but they still get a decent amount of ice time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Buch has been shooting a fair amount...at least in that he's not pulling a Hayes or Stepan or Zucc in that they're always looking to make one more ridiculous pass for a better scoring chance rather than taking the shot. He at least is shooting it when he has a clear shot

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
He is, but I still think this line might benefit him.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

mentholmoose posted:

To be fair I think it is a bit more valid grievance than previous Twitter callouts. I don't think I've seen a team have three goalies on its roster for such a long time, and I think all three goalies as well as the team would benefit from a trade.

Nobody's gonna trade for MacDonald. Face it guys, we're stuck with him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd love to be rid of AMac but that's just not happening.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'd love to be rid of AMac but that's just not happening.

once prongers and datsyuks contracts are off the books after this year, im sure arizona can arrange something for a modest fee

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
With Tanev set to return, it's looking like the Canucks actually sending down Troy Stecher instead of admitting they were wrong about Larsen or calling out Tryamkin on his "if you send me down I'm going to the KHL" poo poo.

Larsen can't do poo poo on the PP, the one thing he's there to do, and if Tryamkin isn't willing to accept demotion for his sake then why should the Canucks even bother with him? This fuckin' team is infuriating.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

I have my fever dreams of Andrew MacDonald not being Flyers property. Please don't ruin my delusions, they're all I have left.

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Yaya posted:

With Tanev set to return, it's looking like the Canucks actually sending down Troy Stecher instead of admitting they were wrong about Larsen or calling out Tryamkin on his "if you send me down I'm going to the KHL" poo poo.

Larsen can't do poo poo on the PP, the one thing he's there to do, and if Tryamkin isn't willing to accept demotion for his sake then why should the Canucks even bother with him? This fuckin' team is infuriating.

But.. Francesco Aquillini needs that playoff money!

I'm watching the Oilers this season, regretting buying a Canucks jersey at their 4-1 loss to Calgary last season.

I want a Kassian jersey.

I miss Kass.

I also wish the Canucks had a McDavid

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

if Tryamkin isn't willing to accept demotion for his sake then why should the Canucks even bother with him?

The only bit of positive PR that Benning has going for him is his apparent success in the draft, so they've got to make it clear that they've done a good job there. With Virtanen struggling, Demko only just cutting his teeth in the minors and Forsling and McCann gone, Tryamkin is the only NHL ready asset from Benning's time in charge of the draft. A whole lot of what remains of Benning's shredded reputation depends on Trymakin not bolting back to the KHL at the first opportunity.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

The only bit of positive PR that Benning has going for him is his apparent success in the draft, so they've got to make it clear that they've done a good job there.

Giant video screen outside Rogers Arena playing a 5 minute highlight reel of Brock Boeser on loop. Hire me, Canucks PR department.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I guess Franchise Hockey Manager 3 is out http://store.steampowered.com/app/465660/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

Giant video screen outside Rogers Arena playing a 5 minute highlight reel of Brock Boeser on loop. Hire me, Canucks PR department.

The Canuck's NCAA/American scouting has been good to very good since Judd Brackett was hired. Promoting him to director of scouting (and seemingly taking a lot of his advice) is one of Benning's most astute moves. With that said, his success seems to mask the fact that the rest of the scouts have no idea what they're doing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yaya posted:

Give everybody that goes to a game a rock. Put Benning at centre ice during the second intermission, everybody gets to throw their rock. Hire me, Canucks PR department.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bergeron game time decision.

Can the Bruins just tank this year and get the 1st overall pick? All these 9th place finishes on years they should be rebuilding are brutal

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hawks tickets tonight at $25 tonight because Cubs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gently caress the Habs!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Hawks tickets tonight at $25 tonight because Cubs.

gently caress the Cubs. Their fans deserve poo poo forever after what they did to Steve Bartman

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Fateo McMurray posted:

Bergeron game time decision.

Can the Bruins just tank this year and get the 1st overall pick? All these 9th place finishes on years they should be rebuilding are brutal

Marvel Universe-Chychrunbarzalconnorkonecny

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only one of those guys is a defenseman, though he would be an upgrade right now.

But they took McAvoy where he was supposed to go, so Sweeney didn't blow that one.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I get to go to a Jets game tonight :toot:

First time in three years. It'll be fun.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Thufir posted:

I guess Franchise Hockey Manager 3 is out http://store.steampowered.com/app/465660/

This seems like it could be cool. I like hockey and I like numbers. But the real question: is it worth $36??

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

Only one of those guys is a defenseman, though he would be an upgrade right now.

But they took McAvoy where he was supposed to go, so Sweeney didn't blow that one.

Yeah he looks pretty good. Zboril is scoring this year too actually so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Oh hey I just remembered I'm going to see my first hockey game since the Thrashers' inaugural season this weekend. Preds v. Canes. I'm a Preds fan but I don't know what their cheers are like. Also, are the Predator's pretzels called Predzels? Thanks in advance, Preds fans.

• Locked thread