Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...022-gs8hk5.html

So what happens when we have no agriculture left? Manufacutring is gone and Agriculture is becoming an export market, does that mean that food in the store becomes a strange method of Australia importing from itself?
Some loving perspective please:

Australia:

Total area - 769 Million Hectare
Total Area under agriculture - 409 Million Hectare

:siren: "soars above 3 Million Hectare" :siren: To less than 1%

Got any good chain emails lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
We're a nation of fatties anyway, we should be exporting more food.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The proportion of land area owned tells you very little about what's going on anyway. There are big differences in the productivity and value of different types of land.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull: "I think the Human Rights Commission has done a great deal of harm to its credibility." This is their new argument against 18c. That would be the HRC that Tim Wilson MP was pulling 300k a year down for doing zip. The loving cheek of it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Legalise murder now

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australian Press Council on the second cartoon referred to them:
'Bill Leak did nothing wrong'

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Cartoon posted:

Some loving perspective please:

Australia:

Total area - 769 Million Hectare
Total Area under agriculture - 409 Million Hectare

:siren: "soars above 3 Million Hectare" :siren: To less than 1%

Got any good chain emails lately?

Well yeah, I still don't like Australia being a firesale country, it doesn't appear to have any long term benefits. With dumbasses like Barnaby Joyce in there's no real resistance to it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Don't British investors own like 10% of our agricultural land?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We trust the British though.

Separately, there's an argument to be made that we shouldn't allow foreign ownership from countries that don't also allow foreign ownership. AFAIK Australians can't buy land in China.

quote:

http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/1104/c90000-9137428.html
The number of wealthy Chinese people buying ranches in Australia is increasing. The friendly land prices and rich agricultural resources make Australian ranches a good investment. However, due to policy differences, high labor costs and language barriers among other things, many of these Chinese nationals have become snarled in management difficulties and been forced to sell their properties within two or three years.

One Beijing couple’s story is a testimony to how unpreparedness can lead to trouble. Lei Qing, 52, sold a spacious 110-square-meter apartment in Beijing in order to purchase an AU$800,000, 323-hectare ranch in central Queensland. Lei’s expenses rose to nearly AU$1 million after paying taxes, hiring a manager and more. He made the purchase because he planned to spend an idyllic retirement in Australia.

Unfortunately, despite various plans Lei made for the ranch, fortunes seemed set against him. He had planned to transport powerful fertilizer from China, but Australian law bans the use of fertilizer. He had planned to raise cows to make money selling milk, but the nearest milk-processing facility was located 200 kilometers away. Hiring a driver and workers to transport the milk would cost him AU$1.3 AUD per liter sold. A lack of facilities also forced him to abandon his idea to plant grapes for wine.

What’s more, Lei didn’t anticipate that the local agricultural association would tightly limit the number of cattle he could raise in order to protect the land. He also never imagined that the cost of labor in Australia would be three times that of China.

Forced to find a way to make money, Lei’s wife took on the farm plow herself. She now trims fruit trees, eradicates wild grass, sprays pesticide and covers fruit with plastic to protect it from pests. In her words, she has “endless work,” and no choice but to stick with her tiring routine. The labor exhausts her so much that she uses herbal medicine to relax her muscles at night.

Another disappointment for Lei is the lonely lifestyle.

“The nearest neighbor is 50 kilometers away. That scene of barbequing with friends on a ranch only happens in movies,” remarked Lei. Indeed, Candy, a professional realtor specializing in ranches, said many of her Chinese clients have given up their ranches thanks to unsatisfactory dividends and the isolated lifestyle.

Be sure to read the comments.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I don't know if it's a good idea to potentially start a trade war with our largest trading partner. Especially with other diplomatic problems on the horizon.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I doubt it would start a trade war.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't trust the British either, agriculture should be nationalized and minimized to domestic demand and possibly capped to reduce methane emissions.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Has there ever been a successful example of nationalised agriculture?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

China and the soviet union.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Has there ever been a successful example of nationalised agriculture?

The Soviets produced a fuckload of grain and non-consumer perishable goods.The problem is at the time, Private farming took roughly 40% of all agricultural labor to produce only 26% of all output by value. Due to the food taxes, the food from private farms was extremely expensive and caused famine. I don't think the Soviets tried it with meats and dairy. The famines were mostly private farms that refused to be integrated into collectivism and therefore the goods got taxed to high heaven.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It seems like the best thing you can say about either of those countries attempts to collectivise agriculture is that at least not everyone died.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's not as if they were the first famines those countries ever faced, and they were the last.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Attributing that to collectivisation is a pretty long bow. It seems more likely that they were the last because of technological advancements in agriculture that made farming more efficient and more resilient to environmental vagaries.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

Attributing that to collectivisation is a pretty long bow. It seems more likely that they were the last because of technological advancements in agriculture that made farming more efficient and more resilient to environmental vagaries.

Technologies they might not have had access to without an intense focus on industrialisation and centralisation by communist authorities.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Most of the other non-communist countries seemed to get them? The focus on industrialisation would have helped, but that could have happened with or without collectivisation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

Most of the other non-communist countries seemed to get them? The focus on industrialisation would have helped, but that could have happened with or without collectivisation.

A lot of non-communist countries also faced famine in that time.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nobody is coming and taking the land away jfc

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's not really an argument for the success of collectivisation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's irrelevant to Australia's situation regardless. The main benefit of collectivisation was consolidating land into larger plots that were more efficient.

e:And it is an argument to its success if you're saying that technology was the primary reason further famines didn't occur in communist countries, non-communists had access to the same or better technology, and yet famines occurred and continue to occur in non-communist countries.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 7, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's irrelevant to Australia's situation regardless. The main benefit of collectivisation was consolidating land into larger plots that were more efficient.

Also the liquidation of the kulaks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Pauline Hanson 'throws Rod Culleton under a bus'" lmao .

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e:And it is an argument to its success if you're saying that technology was the primary reason further famines didn't occur in communist countries, non-communists had access to the same or better technology, and yet famines occurred and continue to occur in non-communist countries.

Recent famines have either been the result of war or happened in developing countries that didn't have access to those technologies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There is no justification for a government releasing land under freehold arrangements.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

Recent famines have either been the result of war or happened in developing countries that didn't have access to those technologies.

What were China and Russia if not war-torn developing countries?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kafka Syrup posted:

That Malcolm Roberts presser was a WILD RIDE. Myyyyy goodness.

Yeah,, from what I picked up, that was an unstable performance. Flanked by two guys from Ideological Casting Central, Roberts went on a tirade against the forces of CSIRO evil for 20 minutes, chucked a hissy when the reporters wanted to ask questions on a less insane subject and did an Abbott stage leftright.

He's going to be a lonely guy in Canberra.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This is really getting off topic. China and the Soviet Union were developing countries, but the claim was that collectivisation was a success. Unless I'm misinterpreting the argument that would mean that fewer people died or went hungry under collectivisation than would have without it. Everything I've read on the topic seems to implicate collectivisation as one of the main reasons for the famines that occured in China and Russia, although if there's something out there that refutes that I'd be interested to to see it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ewe2 posted:

Yeah,, from what I picked up, that was an unstable performance. Flanked by two guys from Ideological Casting Central, Roberts went on a tirade against the forces of CSIRO evil for 20 minutes, chucked a hissy when the reporters wanted to ask questions on a less insane subject and did an Abbott stage leftright.

He's going to be a lonely guy in Canberra.

Is he the guy with the insane stare?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

This is really getting off topic. China and the Soviet Union were developing countries, but the claim was that collectivisation was a success. Unless I'm misinterpreting the argument that would mean that fewer people died or went hungry under collectivisation than would have without it. Everything I've read on the topic seems to implicate collectivisation as one of the main reasons for the famines that occured in China and Russia, although if there's something out there that refutes that I'd be interested to to see it.

I'd lower that bar a bit, collectivisation was a success in that it led those countries who adopted it to develop a modern mechanised agricultural sector. The problems it faced with famine were either due to intentional genocides, or other economic mismanagement such as using Chinese peasants for iron and steel production.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

He's been out in the delta too long, man. He's seen some poo poo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Starshark posted:

Is he the guy with the insane stare?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fremen on the land.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the process of collectivisation was an utter mess and exacerbated famine in russia in the 20s, not alleviated it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd lower that bar a bit, collectivisation was a success in that it led those countries who adopted it to develop a modern mechanised agricultural sector. The problems it faced with famine were either due to intentional genocides, or other economic mismanagement such as using Chinese peasants for iron and steel production.

It seems like those gains could have been achieved without collectivisation though, and were incidental to the process.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

It seems like those gains could have been achieved without collectivisation though, and were incidental to the process.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not quite so successful for those who starved needlessly. I don't think you can tease out collectivism as an OK thing given these examples. It all a part of the same.

• Locked thread