Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

gently caress Jackson fighters

Yeah, those terrible boring Jackson fighters like Jon Jones, Donald Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, Cub Swanson, Carlos Condit, and John Dodson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Who is rocky?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Thanks for the OP, I've tuned out of MMA for about 3 months barring a few big cards and the OP is really informative and got me caught up. Two questions, Is there still nothing lined up for Stipe and what have been the big changes/fall out from the ownership change?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
except for the ronda performance, has holly holm ever fought in an exciting way ever?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

Who is rocky?

Raquel Pennington

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

except for the ronda performance, has holly holm ever fought in an exciting way ever?

holly holm is boring AF

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, those terrible boring Jackson fighters like Jon Jones, Donald Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, Cub Swanson, Carlos Condit, and John Dodson

That longstanding thought a couple years ago about Jackson fighters being boring was the weirdest thing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Thanks for the OP, I've tuned out of MMA for about 3 months barring a few big cards and the OP is really informative and got me caught up. Two questions, Is there still nothing lined up for Stipe and what have been the big changes/fall out from the ownership change?

Stipe said he was taking some time off at the end of 2016 and is shooting for his next fight to be in March, so we probably won't hear about a potential opponent for a couple months.

So far the only major fall-out from the ownership change has been a lot of layoffs of executive and behind-the-scenes staff for cost-cutting/efficiency reasons, so nothing that's really noticeable from the fan perspective. I would expect any significant changes to happen pretty gradually.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
GSP's return sounds like it was nixed due to the ownership change.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

fatherdog posted:

Stipe said he was taking some time off at the end of 2016 and is shooting for his next fight to be in March, so we probably won't hear about a potential opponent for a couple months.

So far the only major fall-out from the ownership change has been a lot of layoffs of executive and behind-the-scenes staff for cost-cutting/efficiency reasons, so nothing that's really noticeable from the fan perspective. I would expect any significant changes to happen pretty gradually.

Thanks. I heard something about the new ownership not wanting to pay GSP what he wants because all the new fans won't know who he is or care, which is absolutely crazy. I'm sure a lot of people have become new fans since Rousey, Connor etc. but I wouldn't put the percentage of UFC fans who have never seen GSP fight above 20% or so. Even then if they are a fan who hasn't seen him in action they should have at least heard of one of the possible Greatest of All Times which would help sell a ppv anyways. Someone said maybe this was an indicator that the new ownership would be getting stingier? Or maybe it's one incident. I haven't followed the business stuff at all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nibbles! posted:

GSP's return sounds like it was nixed due to the ownership change.

Not really. He said he was still negotiating with the Fertittas when the ownership change happened, and when it did the negotiations had to go back to square one. He still hasn't come to an agreement, but he hadn't before the ownership change, either, and the fact that Dana was constantly telling the media he didn't think GSP was coming back indicates they probably weren't close.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Ostentatious posted:

holly holm is boring AF

It was exciting when she got owned by Miesha

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Thanks. I heard something about the new ownership not wanting to pay GSP what he wants because all the new fans won't know who he is or care, which is absolutely crazy.

Nobody in a position to know has said anything of the kind, so if you "heard something" about this it was almost certainly some idiot speculating.

GSP is still under contract to the UFC. He could come back tomorrow and get paid exactly what he was getting paid before, salary-wise. The issue is that his contract was negotiated and signed before the Reebok deal, and he made an enormous amount of money from sponsors that he now wouldn't be, and he wants to renegotiate for more money in light of that. The Fertittas were resisting that, and so are the new owners. To that end, GSP just had his lawyer make a declaration that his contract had expired due to not being offered a bout agreement in a timely manner, so that he can go into free agency. The UFC is disputing it, so the whole thing is likely to shake out in court or in some sort of settlement.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

It was exciting when she got owned by Miesha

Her last fight where she constantly attempted to throw comical strikes only to be beaten at every turn was fun too.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

holly holm is boring AF

She hasn't looked good in her last few fights, but whatever happens we will always owe her a debt for obliterating Ronda Rousey when virtually everyone counted her out.

Also

https://twitter.com/NandaPrates_/status/794566672850059264

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Uhhh.... Charles Oliveira reportedly missed weight by 9 loving pounds.

efb

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
10 pounds? That's almost a full tito skull...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The same twitter account is saying Lamas still wants to fight him and that it's provisionally still on, as long as Olivera is under 165 on fight day.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I think if you're missing weight and you know it you just stop killing yourself so you should always be over by like .5 pounds or 12 pounds, you messed up and made a bad choice if you're 3 pounds over.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Does that mean it's a good thing I picked Lamas or a bad thing?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

I think if you're missing weight and you know it you just stop killing yourself so you should always be over by like .5 pounds or 12 pounds, you messed up and made a bad choice if you're 3 pounds over.

100%

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Lloyd Boner posted:

Well Oliveira has a 2-1 record in fights where he missed weight, so he is roughly 66% good at having an unfair advantage over opponents.

On a related note, that's four times missing weight in 11 appearances at featherweight. Win or lose I would think he is going to get the Lineker treatment and become a middle of the pack lightweight from now on.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
wow, I just noticed how busy this weekend is. Bellator, Glory, UFC, and EBI

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I agree, but also if you're going to stop even trying you should notify the UFC and your opponent ahead of time rather than just rocking up to the weighins a whole class heavier than you're supposed to be

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Failure to Make Weight for a UFC Fight

John Lineker 5 (in two divisions)
Charles Olivera 4
Anthony Johnson 3 (in two divisions)
Kelvin Gastelum 3

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

CommonShore posted:

Failure to Make Weight for a UFC Fight

John Lineker 5 (in two divisions)
Charles Olivera 4
Anthony Johnson 3 (in two divisions)
Kelvin Gastelum 3

I'm just happy that Brazil still dominates in certain areas of the sport.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hunt turned down a rematch with JDS because of unsatisfactory terms, apparently.

"Windows."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I always wondered about Aloe Vera because he didn't strike me as being at a size disadvantage at 155, and I'm blown away that he can even make 145.

Wonder what his diet looks like in the last couple weeks of camp.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lloyd Boner posted:

probably bad

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Perhaps I'm remembering wrong but I believe 9lbs is a full Carano

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Tom Lawlor was suspended I was legit surprised he was still in the UFC

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

mistakinder posted:

I'm just happy that Brazil still dominates in certain areas of the sport.

:lol:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/UFCFIGHTERSiNFO/status/794607989135200257

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
UFC signed this jiggly man today. Heavyweight is back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oR7_EKvPKk&t=513s

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I just got an idea that might be stupid. OK, it is definitely stupid, but here we go. Stuff that is valuable and collectible today, old baseball cards, programs from the 1st super bowl, etc. The main reason why they were valuable is there weren't many of them, everyone at the time thought they were useless or kids toys, so they weren't bought, or they were tossed out or destroyed, so they are rare today. Some of you may see where I'm going with this.

30 years from now, will an original Reebok fight kit be worth money? Right now they are seen as silly and hardly anyone buys them. Say you buy McGregor, Rousey, and Anderson Silva poo poo then store it away in a box, would that be worth something?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Northjayhawk posted:

I just got an idea that might be stupid. OK, it is definitely stupid, but here we go. Stuff that is valuable and collectible today, old baseball cards, programs from the 1st super bowl, etc. The main reason why they were valuable is there weren't many of them, everyone at the time thought they were useless or kids toys, so they weren't bought, or they were tossed out or destroyed, so they are rare today. Some of you may see where I'm going with this.

30 years from now, will an original Reebok fight kit be worth money? Right now they are seen as silly and hardly anyone buys them. Say you buy McGregor, Rousey, and Anderson Silva poo poo then store it away in a box, would that be worth something?

*plays compilation clip of thousands of fighters trying to get the zip on their jacket to work*

no.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I would not put good odds on a Reebok kit lasting five years let alone thirty before falling apart.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Northjayhawk posted:

you should absolutely collect all the reebok gear

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
A Giblert Melendez original Fight Kit might be worth $60 in like 10 years. The rest will be $15 clearance at the local Marshalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I wonder how much my YAMMA shirt would fetch on the open market

• Locked thread