Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's quite a few Rifftrax on Amazon Prime. Should give me something to get through the wait for the new MST3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's quite a few Rifftrax on Amazon Prime. Should give me something to get through the wait for the new MST3K.

I'm not sure if they're on there, but they have done riffs of the two Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, politics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be disappointed if "a large crowd, led by Sadiq Khan, taking on Daleks hand-to-plunger" doesn't show up in season 10 now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Would recommend Icebreaker with Sean Astin and Bruce Campbell. It's a lovely Die Hard knock-off set at a ski resort, with Astin as a soft, doughy John McClane stand-in.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My jackass of a cat decided it would be a great idea to revenge pee all over my bookcase's bottom shelf of New Series Adventure novels. 21 books down the drain, mostly Ten/Martha stories.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

CobiWann posted:

My jackass of a cat decided it would be a great idea to revenge pee all over my bookcase's bottom shelf of New Series Adventure novels. 21 books down the drain, mostly Ten/Martha stories.

Welp, time for your cat to watch Terror of the Vervoids.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Clearly still disgruntled about Virgin losing the licence :v:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, "I, Davros" was Really Really Good. I wish it was longer. I could listen to that evil bastard all day.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a reason I single out I, Davros in the Big Fish section of the OP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The fourth and final War Doctor volume from Big Finish marks the end of an era we never knew existed and that I for one will sorely miss now that it is over. The insertion of an unknown incarnation of the Doctor for the 50th Anniversary could have gone so wrong but was done so right, and John Hurt's fabulous performance as the anguished War Doctor was a revelation. It all seemed a one-and-done until Big Finish announced they would be making audio adventures detailing the life of the War Doctor, and that John Hurt was along for the ride. Hurt had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and during his treatment was looking for ways to keep in work, and had heard very good things about Big Finish. The two got together and produced these four volumes detailing events from the Time War, which for the longest time had been off-limits to Big Finish. This final volume opens in a similar vein to the previous three, producing a fun and listenable story that doesn't particular distinguish itself or the character of the War Doctor in any way that couldn't have been filled in by any of the other actors who play the Doctor. But the final two volumes finally got it right, revealing some of the fascinating potential of the setting AND the character. Hurt's final lines as the War Doctor's are haunting, and leave me wondering just what might have been if there had been more. There won't be though, and so as it is all I can say is that the War Doctor series ends on an incredible high note (by ending on an incredible low note for the character of the War Doctor).

Synopsis: The War Doctor and Cardinal Ollistra attempt to escape stranding on a remote planet as the Dalek fleet closes in. The unwelcome presence of the media offers a surprising opportunity to save the day, at the cost of spreading a despicable message to the universe as a result.

What I thought: This is the weakest of the three stories, suffering the most from the issue I've largely had with the War Doctor volumes in that nothing they do feels like it is any different from any non-Time War related story, or any other actor who played the Doctor. You could argue that this is fitting in that Day of the Doctor showed everyone INCLUDING the War Doctor that he was just as worthy as anybody else of being the Doctor, but I feel the War Doctor should have been put into situations that the others never were, and done things the others never did, in order to more effectively demonstrate the trauma, guilt and self-loathing he felt for himself both during and after this incarnation. Instead we get an often jovial, bemused and helpful Doctor who at worst gets a bit grumpy when he discovers that a species of "reporters" have been using his adventures as pro-war propaganda. That kind of reveal should hit him like a gut-punch rather than a mild irritation, that he himself isn't just committing atrocities but that those same atrocities are being turned into rallying cries to get others involved in the war and commit atrocities all of their own.

Needing to escape the remote planet they're on, the War Doctor and Ollistra use the primitive technology at their disposal to hold off the Daleks as long as possible. The planet has the same problem common to a lot of audios and tv episodes, where an entire planet seems to be represented by a small town and it feels like the population can't be more than a few hundred people (later we discover there were supposedly billions there). The presence of the alien "media" is also aggravating, since the species are also time travelers but apparently have remained hidden from both the Time Lords and the Daleks and have technology beyond them. That diminishes the Time War in my view, it's supposed to be a chaotic quagmire of incomprehensible insanity and yet here are these assholes just casually dropping in and out with complete knowledge of everything and utterly indifferent to the two races supposedly putting the entire universe at risk. By making them come from some post-Time War period and being open about that, it's also telling the War Doctor that not only does the Time War end but supposedly in Time Lord victory, which would seem to undercut the notion that he'd be driven to the point of despair enough to be willing to make use of The Moment. Still, he cleverly uses the resources available to him to defeat the Daleks, if only temporarily, and he and Ollistra get off the planet after all. The ironic thing is that the "story" that the reporters create glorify the victory to the point that it incenses the Daleks (so the Daleks have access to these news reports that the Time Lords were completely unaware of?) to redouble their efforts to win the war.

Synopsis: The War Doctor seeks reinforcements while Ollistra attempts to hold the line and win an important strategic and PR victory in the war. An old companion of the Doctor is all that she can be and more, while could-have-been tries to become is; meanwhile tries to become now; and never-were tries to become always-was.

What I thought: This is where things started to get good, the difference between this and the previous story is like night and day. As Ollistra takes on a surprisingly heroic (if coldly calculated) stance, the War Doctor goes in search of the titular Lady of Obsidian, a mystery woman who has spent centuries fighting the Daleks within the confines of a largely unexplored nebula. The casting of Louise Jameson felt like a misstep to me when I first heard about it, but I am happy to admit I was completely wrong. The War Doctor's search for the Lady leads to his discovery that she is his old companion Leela, somehow alive in spite of the centuries. When he eventually tracks her down, he learns to his horror that she is the victim of a failed weaponized Dalek experiment. Leela was killed in that explosion as everybody long believed... but she also lived. And she was never there. Leela has become a creature of potential, every single permutation and deviation that could have or might have been are as real to her as her actual life. She cannot die because she has always been dead. She cannot be alive because she was never born. She has lived an infinity of lives, known/loved/hated/feared the same people in different variations. She has been married a million times, widowed just as many, never known love in equal measure, never had children, had child after child, seen her children die, been parted from them etc. And it is ALL real to her simultaneously, and the only thing that keeps her sane is to hide in the largely abandoned nebula with an army she rarely interacts with, fighting a war not just against the Daleks but also another race created by the failed experiment - the Unlived.

Though it is never outright stated, it seems apparent to me that the Unlived are intended to be The Could-Have-Been King and his Army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres, mentioned offhand during the RTD era in one of those wonderful and fleeting glimpses into the madness of the Time War. They are certainly horrifying in concept, since at least Leela actually had a life/history before her exposure, while these things never actually existed... and they hate that knowledge, that awareness that they lack some fundamental aspect that the living so unfairly have. Their description is matched by their voices, they sound like they're forcing some rough approximation of sound through vocal cords that perhaps don't exist. Every moment of their non-existence is an agony and it is conveyed in audio form. Even the one character that has a name comes across like it doesn't really understand what a name is or what purpose it serves, it just knows that the living has them so it wants one too. There is an echo of the Boneless from season 8 of the revival to them, but even those shared at least some basic similarity to life as we know it. The Unliving are contrary to existence, and that makes them far more chilling. It also helps to make them stand out from Leela and her similar traits, because she is somebody that existed, and the moment where the War Doctor gets her into the TARDIS and helps to heal her is incredibly sweet and genuine - it is a moment like that where he truly feels like the Doctor again that should stand out against the rough exterior he puts up to hide his broken heart, but unfortunately as Ollistra notes the only person who sees a difference between the War Doctor and any other Doctor is the War Doctor himself.

Synopsis: The Daleks unleash a weapon on Gallifrey completely beyond the comprehension of the Time Lords. The Time War ends with the Daleks victorious, and the Daleks turns their aggression on their own weapon, as the War Doctor enthusiastically goads on mutual genocide.

What I thought: This story is written by Nick Briggs who doesn't always nail it when it comes to his Doctor Who work. But he wrote the first War Doctor audio so it's somewhat fitting he writes the last.... and this time he DOES nail it, he gets it spot loving on in fact. This is a story that fully embraces the insanity of the Time War, as poo poo just goes completely round the bend and the only one who seems able to cut through the bullshit is the War Doctor. Not because he's smarter than anybody else, but because he's got the experience and the exposure to outside forces to cope with them. That Leela is mostly able to stay right up to step with him just further nails home the importance of the Doctor/Companion relationship and suggests what might have been had the War Doctor had the chance to just be another regeneration of the Doctor instead of deal with the Time War.

But the story isn't just crazy nonsense for its own sake, it has narrative and character purpose and brings into sharp relief just what an impact the Time War has had not just on the universe but the Doctor himself. It's peppered with appropriate moments of humor (Leela's description of Ollistra is loving hilarious) to break the tension when necessary, and everything builds to an incredibly satisfying conclusion. The Daleks have crossed into a different dimensional reality and learned how to communicate with (well, threaten) a species beyond Time Lord comprehension. Breaking into "our" dimension, the "Enigma" exists without physical or mental presence, it just simply "is". Like the creatures from the previous story, the Enigma are not alive in any sense we understand, but unlike the Unliving they hold no aggression or malice towards the living, just curiosity. Threatened by the Daleks to rewrite time so that the Time Lords never existed, the Enigma consider doing so not out of fear for their own lives (they see no difference between being alive and being dead) but because why not? They don't share our morality, and are mostly just trying out an alien experience because it never occurred to them to do it before the Daleks brought it up. Their discovery of a somewhat kindred spirit in Leela gives them momentary pause which is the opening the War Doctor needs to investigate the Enigma's dimension alongside Ollistra. As he takes it all in with fascination, the Daleks invade and reveal they're actually completely flummoxed by the Enigma because they have no idea how to deal with a species completely unfazed by their threats. They begin wiping out Enigma after Enigma, who don't particularly care since they can't really die in the same sense as we do anyway. In the end, it comes down to Dalek threats vs the War Doctor and Leela's interest in communicating with them. They of course find the War Doctor and Leela a more compelling idea, but then Ollistra throws a wrench in the works by trying to reverse the Daleks' plan and suggest the Enigma wipe out the Daleks instead. Disgusted by Ollistra (who had been acting more nobly recently) proving the Time Lords are just the Daleks in all but name, the War Doctor offers a horrible third way.... why not wipe out both?

This is the defining moment in the War Doctor's characterization for Big Finish to me, and it's somewhat of a shame that it comes so late in the last ever volume. As the 8th Doctor he tried to stay on the sidelines and help those affected. As the War Doctor he attempted to take a more active role and win the war purely to stop the damage it was doing. Now he has reached the point where he realizes the only way to save the universe is to remove both sides from this horrible war, that this is actually the best case scenario. Ollistra (and Leela!) are horrified, but the Doctor quite clearly doesn't order the Enigma, he just offers them the alternative, he leaves the final decision to them. The Enigma shift them back to their own reality, where they discover the Dalek Time Fleet has been removed from near Gallifrey.... but the Time Lords are still there AND the Daleks are still out there in the universe, and the war is continuing. Ollistra is infuriated that an unexpected chance to win the war went begging because of the War Doctor, while he himself is just depressed that the madness will continue. His final line to Leela is haunting but marks an incredible highpoint for the War Doctor audios

The War Doctor posted:

I am a warrior, just like the rest of the Time Lords. And perhaps even... I am the very worst of them all.

RIP John Hurt. There'll never be another like you.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is it unusual for only 1/4 of the series' episodes to have confirmed names about two weeks out from broadcast?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh my, it's only TWO weeks from new Doctor Who?

How have we waited this long without going mad?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

How have we :downs:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Yes.

Not. Going. Mad.

Yesss.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

I've been sustaining myself on a steady diet of Big Finish

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

It's probably going to be underwhelming

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trip Report: Doctor Who--The Domain of the Voord

This was the whole reason I rewatched Keys of Marinus, to be able to listen to this one in context. There's a lot of high points in this audio; first one is William Russell. Now there are some audios where he can't seem to capture the "Young Ian" voice and just sounds like an old man and you have to just sigh and use your imagination. But listening to this one after having just watch Keys, he does a great job sounding young and cracking Voord skulls in fights. And his First Doctor impression is second only to Peter Purves'. Like Frazier, he can switch it up to his current voice enough for the narration to stand out as well. Carole Ann Ford does a good job on her own part as well as a passable Barbara--it's much better when they make the effort instead of just reading it out of respect for the dead actors. There are times you have a tough time telling them apart though. Still, you could really suspend your disbelief and imagine this as a 60s story, and the rest of the cast made it very full and big sounding.

One of the biggest questions I had was "what were the Voord?" Were they "creatures" from another world? Were they Marinans in rubber wetsuits with funny helmets? Didn't Arbitan say Yartek was a man, presumably a Marinan, who found a way to buck The Conscience? This audio answers that because the writer himself saw those same issues and found a way to explain them that wasn't overly convoluted and Augment Virusy--it was part of the plot and fleshed out who the Voord were, where they were from, and why they did what they did.

The TARDIS lands on the hold of a ship on a flotilla, a Rag Tag Fleet Fleeing the Voord Tyranny. It promptly sinks, trapping them on another ship where they gain the trust of the Hydrans, the humans who live on planet Hydra which only has one continent and a bunch of ocean. It's been taken over by the Voord, who have their little one man subs from Keys, bigger subs, and giant airships. At first it seems to contradict what Arbitan said--these Voord are definitely not Marinans, and Yartek was a Voord, not a Marinan. But then it's revealed that the Voord were indeed aliens, but when they conquer a planet and enslave it's people they offer them a choice--die early as a slave or live for years, maybe centuries as a Voord. You put on the Voord helmet and it fuses itself to your face and brain, you then are even altered at the genetic level. So in that sense, Yartek could have been a Marinan who became a Voord. The Voord are telepathic, so it's possible that by making a deal with them he was able to fight The Conscience.. It's a neat explanation, and the best thing of all is a lot of the connection with Keys is implied--they don't spell it out, but you can speculate that was what happened. But it fixes the contradictions. It also gives the Voord a motivation: they want to Voordize everyone because if everyone is a Voord there will be peace and harmony in the universe--sort of a benevolent Dalek or Cybermen ideal that's not specifically motivated by racial superiority or we muzzzt survivvvve.

All in all a neat little story and another worthy Early Adventure. The action goes all over Hydra, from the ships to the cities to rebels in hiding, etc. The gang splits up, thinks each other is dead, etc. Which leads me to an interesting aside--Susan at one point says her Grandfather can't be dead--which in context of a 60s show would sound like Susan in denial, but in modern hindsight we know it's because she'd assume in most cases he'd regenerate. How cool would it be to do an Unbound, or even a series of them, where a Doctor regenerates early? Imagine having the Doctor be killed in some classic story where we thought he was going to die but didn't, and then suddenly Susan, Ian, and Barbara have to deal with Frazier playing Two? Susan would have to explain regeneration to them, but still deal with the feelings of having the only Grandfather she knew changed--a concept familiar to her but it would still surely provoke some emotions. You could do this all over with some caveats--perhaps since Two's regeneration was induced he might not have become Pertwee, but you could have Pertwee dying early and T Bakes running around Earth in exile. You could have Four biting it prematurely and see Davison's Doctor interacting with Leela. Maybe Seven falls off the cliff on IceWorld and becomes McGann? Even better if Big Finish could somehow get the rights to remake specific stories and redo classic episodes with the next Doctor. A crazy idea, but it would be very fun!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

Trip Report: Doctor Who--The Domain of the Voord

they want to Voordize everyone because if everyone is a Voord there will be peace and harmony in the universe--sort of a benevolent Dalek or Cybermen ideal that's not specifically motivated by racial superiority or we muzzzt survivvvve.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like that idea about the Voord trying to establish a horrible kind of harmony, but I still like to think they're just some dudes in wetsuits :)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

And his First Doctor impression is second only to Peter Purves'.

I feel like Russell's voice sounds closer to Hartnell's but Purves is better at nailing the mannerisms, so both are great for different reasons imo

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah. the writer of Domain did mention that Cyberman comic, but said he was specifically ignoring that. IMO Spare Parts is the best origin story anyway, and should never be changed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I feel like Russell's voice sounds closer to Hartnell's but Purves is better at nailing the mannerisms, so both are great for different reasons imo

What's awesome about Russell's and Purves' portrayals of the First Doctor is they're both playing the Doctor how he interacted with their characters. The First Doctor was a little more sharp tempered with Ian, and far more relaxed with Steven, because Steven was always willing to defer to the Doctor, whereas Ian wasn't willing to put up with the Doctor's poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HsqArxhWU

How had I never seen this before? The others (The Pitch of Fear, The Web of Caves) are great too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HsqArxhWU

How had I never seen this before? The others (The Pitch of Fear, The Web of Caves) are great too.

The uncut Pitch of Fear is notoriously hard to find (not surprising considering they refer to the Doctor actors post-Pertwee as 'any old gently caress with an Equity card').

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Is it just me or is he wearing pretty much David Tennant's outfit in the last one? This guy really is a time traveler.

what the—this isn't Tom, it's the Great Curator!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

It's probably going to be underwhelming

your posting is underwhelming

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In a rare move for the Short Trips line, the second part of The Jago & Litefoot Revival is out now. They even made up an alternate cover for it, but be warned, if you have not listened to Part 1, here there be spoilers:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/846119087755464704

Also, this guy finished his gif

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Handles! Well done, mate. :')

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the companions who disappear and then return :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Handles! Well done, mate. :')

I tweeted to him that the inclusion of Handles justified his someone questionable inclusion of some of the other one-off companions

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Handles got a better goodbye than Clara. :colbert:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/04/04/classic-doctor-who-episodes-now-streaming-britbox/99986532/

:swoon:

quote:

In all, BritBox will stream more than 550 of the show's episodes. Missing are 90 "lost" episodes and 20 more for which the service was unable to secure rights. "It will be the most comprehensive offering of Classic Who," says BritBox president Soumya Sriraman. "These (episodes) have been different places before (to stream), but never as many and never as comprehensively."

I do wonder what ones they couldn't get the rights to though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oh my god it's everything I ever wanted from a streaming service. When is this coming to Australia!?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

If they could just make this available in Germany, that would be "Fantastisch!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yeah, that's really weird. Maybe the estate of Terry Nation wouldn't let them have like four of the Dalek serials or something, because I can't think of anyone else that could realistically block them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Probably the TV movie (which makes sense as they say 1963 - 1989), and I'm willing to bet the..."rights"...to Warriors of the Deep got lost somewhere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looking through the episode list of the first two Doctors, the Abominable Snowmen and the Ice Warriors are not mentioned at all. Considering they mention Marco Polo, there could be rights issues in those two serials.

e: Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are all unavailable, but are mentioned.

e2: Earthshock not mentioned, either.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe it's a missing episodes thing? Like, they won't show the incomplete stories/animated episodes.

• Locked thread