Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<walks in>

Oh, you've done up the place. I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we doing DWSS? It's the one time per year I get to pretend to be nice. :ohdear:

Yes, we will be! I was thinking about that today. I'll run up a post in the next couple of days while it's quiet at work. Although my new job has blocked Imgur, so that'll be fun. :sassargh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I liked bits of it. Whimsy was turned up slightly too high, even for Xmas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I still think one of my favorite encapsulations of the Doctor as a character comes from The Beast Below

Doctor: Amy I have one rule, one unbreakable rule. We never, ever, ever interfere.
Immediately interferes

:allears:

:smugbert: "I think you'll find I'm universally recognised as a mature and responsible adult."
<brandishes psychic paper>
:confused: "It's just a lot of wavy lines."
:smugbert: "Yeah, it's shorted out. Finally a lie too big."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Echoplex says she's lovely and I have no reason to doubt him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The upcoming season. The Xmas special is a solo trip.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So the BBC are releasing Power of the Daleks on bluray next year, with a colour version of it on the disc too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

aaaaaah

https://twitter.com/BBCStore/status/794960053375639552

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A colour version of the Celestial Toymaker would rock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Listened to the first story on the War Doctor 3 boxset, and it's really good. The minutest thing bothered though, and it sounds so stupid. Big Finish's TARDIS noise has some extra... 'greebles' around it when it's landing/taking off (you'll know what I mean if you've ever paid attention), but the War Doctor 2 set did away with them, giving us what was essentially the TV TARDIS sound, which sounds far better to my ear. They've brought them back again, and it irks me. v:shobon:v

Also, the bassline of the Who theme had me imagining Missy stopping mid-conversation and saying to the Doctor "you know I can still hear those bloody drums?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, you know, the Ianto shrine is still there by Cardiff Bay.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jesus loving christ

The Doctor will save us the Doctor will save us the Doctor will save us...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2016 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ldaiubFMd7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: http://www.royalmail.com/greetings

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

12)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Entered my first DWSS. You might want to add a link for how much international shipping costs, The_Doctor.

That's basically piece of string territory (as in how long is a...?). The holiday posting dates sites I linked (USPS and Royal Mail) both have international shipping guides. I'd say don't send a lot of books, they get heavy quickly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is usually my experience of Heathrow:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Three years ago today...

"I'm a doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm slightly envious that the US is getting this big cinema release, and the UK isn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hey hey hey. We've all had a horrible year. Trump, Brexit, all the big deaths, and no new Who. Now with Power and Xmas approaching, we're finally coming into the light.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Funko Pops are the worst thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I should listen to these UNIT audios.

the team's back together!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is it just me or does Jo look really badly composited in to that image?

All three on the left do. Jo's head is too big for her body.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just a reminder for Secret Santa, tomorrow Friday 18th November is the last day to sign up!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I saw recently came up when some people were talking about the American election, and somebody brought up the episode where the Master blasts the president to atoms "but they call him president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

I wonder when Moffat will start getting the blame for Six throttling Peri or the racist stuff in "Talons". :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

I found it available as Region 2 on Amazon UK, but damnit I'm a Yankee

It's not been released over here yet. :britain:

Everyone should just get everyone Power of the Daleks for Secret Santa (I'm sending out names tonight).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blurays are region free, I think...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Those who haven't got your Santees yet, don't worry, I'll sort you today. Turns out I needed sleep last night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

Is there a spending limit on our Secret Santa gifts? I had it in my head we could only spend £5, which I think is wrong.

quote:

BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just realised how comically out of date that currency exchange is now. $25-30 = £20-24 now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If I had a time machine I'd fill a cinema by myself

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to see the War Games any more, the cinema's full."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

"Sorry sir, The War Games is sold out. Would you like attend our showing of Fury From the Deep?"

"Timelash starts in 5 minutes, if you like."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love you all :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aw man, 2016 keeps taking. Adric died.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Time of the Doctor is the end of the Smith run?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LordZoric posted:

You know how Netflix has their shows organized by show and season in reasonable way?

Now, yes. Netflix used to have the Specials listed as their own thing for a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well it's reversible, so you can have it match with all the others.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interesting that it completely fails to mention River, despite her being on the cover

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

There is a lengthy section about her, maybe they edited in afterwards?

I swear that wasn't there a few minutes ago. :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wasn't expecting quite so many characters, nor the return of the Angels so soon after Classic Doctors New Monsters.
With the inclusion of Ollistra, I'm guessing they're going to use this to jump start their early Time War series thing they've been planning for a while.

I just went to look, and the release date on that Time War set is November 2017. Ugh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After The War posted:

I bring it up because I re-read the DWM Cyberman series the other day. It went in some :catdrugs: :aaaaa: directions, but I really ended up enjoying it, especially when it gets all Alan Moore Swamp Thing towards the end. Here's the complete run. The early ones are pretty low-res, unfortunately, but the bigger images luckily coincide with things getting interesting. Some prime avatar material in there at any rate.

They brought the strip back for a one off in DWM recently for their Cybermen 50th anniversary issue! It's really good too. Maybe I'll see if I can scan it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Haha, wow

• Locked thread