Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Echoplex says she's lovely and I have no reason to doubt him.

She's a wonderful human being, and her and Peter together have been fantastic to watch.

Capbags (as no-one has lived to call him) is one of the very few actors who warms my crew-jaded heart, because he really does give a poo poo and is also lovely to deal with. Working on set while he rehearses the poo poo out his scenes all to himself is the biggest work perk by far.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bicyclops posted:

I'd also argue that a lot of what stunts Enterprise before it can even take off is being weighed down by about 40 years of "the Trek Universe."

The episode where Enterprise tries to make a canon explanation for why 60's Klingons had different foreheads was definitely the point where it had bludgeoned itself to death with it's own continuity.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Just watched Fantastic Beasts and there's a shot we did verbatim in an S10 episode. Entirely coincidence, but, lol.

God what I wouldn't give to have a) Stuart Craig's budget b) Stuart Craig's pay

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that movie good, btw?

Better than Back to the Future II, not as good as Back to the Future III

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Matt's the best.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Oh right, new Who has started.

Totally New York you guys.

Bulgaria, as the Guardian and I assume other sites have pointed out. If you remember the whole "Doctor Who is coming to Canada" thing in the summer, that was because Canada was very, very briefly muted in the office as an option for Cheap New York before Bulgaria was chosen (because it has an NY-esque backlot with appropriate action vehicles). I think Peter casually mentioned to a fan during loc filming that we were going to Canada and it went all over the internet.

Of course people on the internet bitterly complained that MOFFAT HAD LIED TO THEIR FACES about Canada, instead of it being an honest mistake.

Fans of things, eh?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 27, 2016

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Anyway, I don't do superheroes (who actually goes and sees Marvel movies?*) but I was able to work in a couple of micro-homages from the ultimate NY film into the ep.

*apparently literally everyone else

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is a thing of beauty :allears:. Quick question about one of the sets; Was it me, or were the alien ship corridors the TARDIS's from Journey to the Center of the TARDIS?

No, the corridors were bespoke for the episode but the bridge was a reuse of the starliner bridge from the last special.

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, does that mean Grant grew up in an Ivo Shandor building? :ohdear:

It's canon! Write the wikipedia page, commission the comic, prepare 14 different toy lines.

2house2fly posted:

True. It's annoying though, because while it's a solid episode it's not an entire year to write one episode worth of solid. I know time doesn't equal quality but still, gah.

There's been quite a bit going on between now and then...

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
As if I couldn't love Peter any more.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

2house2fly posted:

I don't know of any behind-the-scenes stories explaining exactly why there weren't any episodes this year. I haven't looked for them, so I don't know that there aren't any, but in their absence you don't know why the show took a year off any better than I do.

They trailed 5 episodes after the xmas special. 4 of which we shot prior to it.

e: obviously I can't post about the complete inner workings of the show but some of you have very :lol: ideas about how it all works / how responsible SM apparently is for all ills in the universe.

Maxwell Lord posted:

At the same time a lot of British scripted shows tend to be written by one person or team, with editors and such. That wasn't feasible for Who so a showrunner-type role was the next best thing.

Except this guy ^, he knows his beans.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 28, 2016

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Astroman posted:

What are the benefits if Doctor Who stays fully under the control of a govt broadcasting company?

Surely not protection from cancellation due to ratings, as that didn't help in the 80s.

Revenue from it going to fund other BBC productions? But that wasn't why it was revived, in fact there was no guarantee whatsover when it was brought back it wouldn't flop.

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

I'm largely playing devil's advocate here, since I'd not necessarily want to see Doctor Who go fully private because then it could be cancelled even quicker. But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.

As a former employee who has a mortgage and would like to continue working there, I can't say that DW is frequently "not great", but, you know. But being a BBC show there isn't really any commercial pressure to give it the chop if the viewers drop, it can go back and be formatted and tweaked and brought back hopefully for the better. Whether that happens in practice you can decide, but it's protected status virtually lets it be whatever it is for as long as it is (cancellation is the whim of the exec as opposed to advertisers or revenue pressure). At this stage, DW helps pay for other shows (rather than the other way round) because it's phenomenally successful globally. It's not really a risk any more, and now Top Gear is dead it must be in the top 5 shows that puts money back into the Beeb than takes out.

It would be nice if there was more money, of course. I'm back on Black Mirror and I can spend in a morning what I'd spend in a month on DW, but I don't think that would change the production schedule much. Bear in mind we wrapped S9 in Oct and we were back on S10 in May, with production occurring at a script/development level the whole time. It is a ballache of a show to make, and you can make it quicker if you throw a lot more people/money at it, but I suspect from a BBC standpoint, there's not much need to - the show is beloved by the media here, the fanbase stays consistent with all the tie ins, and they seem to get good casting based on goodwill/it being an institution. If they production values were twice as high as they are now with more money, I don't think it'd change the end product in any meaningful way. Yes you could produce more, but DW is a fairly gruelling show and I think it's probably quite good for the talent to have long breaks in order to keep them on the show.

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrttt1Tpug

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Doctor Who is loving hard work, to be fair.

It's a shame, and I hope that he has some cracking episodes this series. I did 5 of series 10 before leaving, but you can actually never really tell what scripts are going to work out that well - Heaven Sent didn't read particularly brilliantly on first pass.

As I've mentioned before (tediously) I've never been much of a DW but I am a fan of the idea of the show, and an even bigger fan of Capaldi, and when he was 'on' - doing his lines to himself, running around the set making himself understand the controls and levers - he was just electrifying to watch. He loved it, and he was a delight to talk to on set. Actually really quite sad to see him go.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd like it to be Tamsin Greig, especailly if she ended up alongside Gomez again.

Can't deny that I'd loving love Idris Elba to do it, I mean all those coats he wore in Luther were practically the costume. Drop the gawky autism Doctor for a bit and actually have some fun.

Obviously neither of these things will ever happen.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 3, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, he had a real issue with the "culture" of the BBC - he felt they were taking advantage of the cast but especially the crew, making them work ridiculously long hours and expecting them to go far above and beyond what they were actually being paid to do.

That's interesting, because DW as a proper in-house BBC production is generally a lot better about abuse of it's staff than most other production companies. Art dept + costume does stupid hours, of course, but everything else seemed to be 70's unions glory days of 12 on, 12 off, guv.

Not saying that's not true, of course, if it is then more power to Ecclestone for standing up to it, god bless him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Echoplex, was it Red Dwarf XI you said you worked on? Caught a few episodes recently, and some of the costumes and sets have been great.

XII! Still another 8 months to go, although quite a lot of my stuff ended up in XI as pickups (watch how Starbug's control panels change to a new exciting style during some closeups). The only show I've ever done that was harder than DW, but that was 10 weeks as opposed to 10 months.

• Locked thread