Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Sorry to drop in at random and I hope this isn't an old matter but I don't get to follow the forums as closely as I'd like these days and I wanted to seek the opinion of Whovians I can trust.

So I only just got to watch the latest Star Trek movie and had to ask: anybody else see a strong connection to State of Decay?

I may be looking for patterns in things that aren't there but I know Simon Pegg wrote it, Pegg is a fan, and, honestly, one of my top 5 favorite Who stories (at least top 5 Tom stories) came to mind so strongly I just had to check and see if anyone else thought the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
You know who'd be an awesome Doctor? Sally Hawkins would be an awesome Doctor.

I've been a fan of Capaldi's since the 90s. (anyone else see Chandler and Co.? Looking back it may well have been crap. I haven't tried to rewatch it. But in my teens I was a sucker for literally anything British.) But as excited as I was for his casting, as much as I adore Gomez as the Master and as much as I think Moffat is great at his best, I just got bored with one of my all time favorite shows ever and never made it past the beginning of The Witch's Familiar.

I keep meaning to catch up... But binging Black's Books or Spaced for the umpteenth time holds more appeal. I don't know why.

So I'm hopeful for the impending changes. "Change, my dear, and not a moment too soon."

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

An Ayoade Wheatley would have been great, and now I'm sad for what could have been.

This guy?

Now there's an idea. Disney's got that video game cut scene reject Cushing from Rogue One laying around on a hard drive somewhere. Maybe the Beeb could buy it off them and give Peter another tilt at the role. Go super meta -- instead of having Capeldi regenerate just zoom out from the end of his final adventure and show Doctor Who watching Doctor Who on TV and tutting at the inaccuracy of the portrayal before traipsing off to battle some Technicolor Technicolour Daleks.

In any event, I can't miss a chance to repost this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPK7raS8Mos

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm more confident about Chibnall than I was because he's going to make it more of a writers' room sort of deal, and an issue the show has run into both recently and near the end of RTD's run was that after a few years with these very identifiable creators at the helm you sorta know all their tricks, so it's like "oh, a nonlinear timey-wimey plot twist AGAIN." Now we're presumably going to get more a mix of voices. (I kinda wish they'd bring back creator ownership of new monsters/characters in the bargain but I doubt that's in the cards.)

It would have been nice to see Capaldi in that new environment because I think even by Season 8 (which was Moffat's fourth season, of course) we were in that familiar stage and that did slightly hamper the fun, but he's still been an amazing Doctor and I hope he makes the most of S10.

This is great news. I don't have enough experience of Chibnall's work to have an opinion of him but this addresses what I regard as the single biggest weakness of NuWho. RTD and Moffat have done great things for Doctor Who but it felt like they stretched themselves too thin. Delegation might also take care of those annoying gap years Bicyclops mentioned. I never understood why the insisted on trying to do it all themselves instead of relying on the old school model of Producer, Script Editor for continuity of theme/voice, and hired writers as necessary to fill out the volume the Script Edditor couldnt produce all by himself.

Jerusalem posted:

I'd prefer she got to do a third season of Agent Carter (and that it was more like season 1 than season 2) :smith:

Oh man, me too. It makes me so sad there's no more Agent Carter (and Jarvis! And Howard!) on the horizon. I hope she gets some more screen time. Even a TV movie or something. She's in a better place than retired Doctors. She can keep coming back, if willing, unto the end of her days.

But Atwell is so cool in and of herself. Having her as The Doctor would be a hell of a consolation prize. Maybe with James D'Arcy as one of her companions? Too much? Maybe. But could we have more than one companion at a time?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

All the talk of women and/or "PsOC" in the role -- and many great suggestions among them -- but It got me wondering why we've never seen an Irish Doctor.

For that matter, have they ever said why Tennant played him with an English accent? Not that I minded because it made his audio book readings awesome. (The Doctor was separete voice from the narrator.) But McCoy and Capeldi got to be Scottish.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

NarkyBark posted:

Charles Dance

:swoon:

Ok, how about this: are we ready for The Valeyard yet? Could the ratings survive a season of that?

Cast David Warner as the Doctor. He has some experience here.

And Dance, Gomez, and Jacobi (The War Master pre chameleon arch) team up in the first ever multi-Master story, a season long arc that turns convention on its head and casts the Master(s) as the defacto good guy.

Like Spike in season 2 of Buffy. If The Doctor succeeds in destroying the universe, and he could, the Master would loose his favorite plaything. Bam.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jerome Flynn would be an interesting Doctor. I'm not sure how he'd play it, though. I couldn't see him doing the sort of madcap cartoony sort of thing Tennant or Smith did. I imagine he'd play more of a rough-around-the-edges character if he was the Doctor.

They've never cast a bad actor as the Doctor. Who could they cast - realistically, leaving aside fantasy-casting and going on actors who are plausible prospects at the moment - who would be a "bad" choice?

I used to be of the school that Alan Davies would be good but I've done a complete 180 on that notion. Just revisited the early seasons of Jonathan Creek and while I still enjoy him and the show I just don't understand how I could have thought he'd be good as the Doctor. Not a strong enough actor, maybe?

I'd be curious to hear what others think but given ( in my mind) that there are basically two schools of actors -- ones who more or less play themselves and ones who more completely assume other personas -- I feel like, if all the Doctors have anything in common, it's that they're of the latter type. Davies is the former, I think.

That and just the idea of any American rubs me the wrong way but I'm not sure if that's just mindless nationalism or not. Like Fil5000 said earlier, I wasn't keen on Smith when he was anounced because he's younger than me. And i didn't like the looks of McGann in the first publicity still I saw. But they're both great, obviously. So I've learned to have faith. For that matter I liked Capeldi going in but his doctor didn't quite catch with me really until just now that I'm catching up with series 9. Now I'm sorry he's leaving.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

evenworse username posted:

Yeah that's a good point, at least some of the time Ecclestone was written that way.

I've always loved an interview I saw with Paul McCann where he said we was a bit jelous of how Eccleston got to play the part. McGann said when he was hired, he wanted to "get in touch with [the Doctor's] inner bin-man." He'd just gotten a short haircut ("number 2, soldier boy") and meant to play the part just like that. But the produces freaked and got him a wig.

In fact one of the stories he tells (on the TV Movie comentary track, IIRC) about what a prick Eric Roberts was revolved around the wig. They were staying at the same hotel together but it took Roberts a few weeks to recognize McGann as his co-star without the rug and Robets was condescending to him before he did.

I've seen inteteviews with both Eccleston and McGann where they gave the impression that they didn't watch the show as kids because it was too soft for them. I forget which said what but I think McGann said he didn't watch because he was too busy playing football with his friends and Ecclestone thought the Doctor was a toff, being, a "lord" and all, and he didn't have any use for that stuck-up stuff.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

After The War posted:

Well, Tom Baker notwithstanding. But he was the Doctor to begin with.

Oh, ya, him. :haw: but, as you say, that's just the very rare third class of actor who doesn't have to act at all.

Which reminds me of Shatner which reminds me...

The_Doctor posted:

Name and Time I have to pause over, but Day and Night I always remember because they're both awesome in their own way.

:smith: pour a 40 of Romulan ale on the curb for how Star Trek's 50th was the polar loving opposite of Doctor Who's. Anything, absolutely anything, critical that might be said of Moffat is ameliorated by the fact that he produced Day and Night.

Still want more McGann, though. Hey! Maybe Capeldi's regeneration could be a cliffhanger and series 11+ could be flashbacks to 8. Yes! Moffat said there should only be one Doctor at a time. That's the perfect solution.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

...the 4th Doctor Adventures range. They're set up in a similar fashion to the modern television show with season long arcs and greater emphasis on the companion's growth as a character and the odd nature of their travels with the Doctor and how it affects them. ...

This is awesome sounding. I dabled in Tom's first audios for the novelity but haven't had the time/money to persue his range seriously.

Actually I think what I listened to was pre Big Finish -- semi dramatized ones for the BBC? I have one about bees?

I've been afraid to invest more because I don't want him to sound bored or old. I remember liking the bees one. Does he rise to the occasion? Work in the new format and still bring the... Uh... Tom?

Keep in mind that. At heart, no matter how good all other Who is or how much I like it, I regard the Baker/Holmes/Hencliff era as Perfect Who.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 7, 2017

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Random off topic post ( thanks, Jerusalem and Tim for telling me about the audios) but I'm watching Before the Flood right now and it's pissing me off. I mean at first I was all into it as a very classic feeling base under siege story with gothic flair but the emotional bagagage that hasn't been checked ... If this was classic Who I'd laugh at the notion of continuity but New Who wants me to follow along so: Does Clara remember Danny Pink or what? Does she recall being the impossible girl who lived through all the Doctor's lives? Does she remember being old but saved by Santa? Seriously, did I forget or miss the reset button that was pressed on all of this character's experiences? Because I could love this story if Clara's emotional arc didn't hinge on advanced Alzheimer's.

Ugh. It's Doctor Who. I still love it.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 7, 2017

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Cleretic posted:

A thoughtful and comprehensive reply

Thank you. It all evened out for me in the end; I got over it and enjoyed the story overall. They did try to address it at the end with her little "you move on" speech but it felt tacked on so you're right about them being bad at it.

Of course, if they'd done more I'd probably be complaining her emotions were overwrought. Like I did in series 8, IIRC.

Thought it was funny that the Fisher King had a credit just for his scream apart from voice and physical rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

They can't. They can only get secondary companions, for the most part. I imagine the biggest name they'll be able to get back is Arthur Darvill, and potentially Noel Clarke. Otherise it's just companion families and the Torchwood regulars. They're probably going to do a fair number of stories with the Paternoster gang, Adam, Jenny and River too.

Everyone else is out of BF's price range, or just aren't interested (Eccleston).

Didn't they just drop a series with David Tennant and Catherine Tate? I mean if that's not first rank I don't know what you're looking for.

I'm out of the loop, though, I missed seeing them addresses in this thread so I don't have an idea of whether or not they're any good.

gently caress's sake, looking it up they even have audios with John Hurt. :smith:

As much as it pains me I think we just have to admit Eccles is going to hold out longer than Tom. i.e., unto death.

• Locked thread