Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing that really stands out to me, we're really lucky that even with all the missing episodes, we have full soundtracks and a bunch of people went and took photographs of seemingly every shot, such that it's possible to actually do things like this. A lot of shows do not have this kind of archival material from which to reconstruct anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Boy do Classic Who and commercial TV just not mix at all. LONG-rear end ad breaks and no end titles at all because they had to jump right to Dirk Gently.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress. Missed Power of the Daleks 2 due to family obligations and wasn't even able to set the DVR. Last week they repeated the episode late night but they're not doing that now because of the Trek marathon. Next airing scheduled is for part 3.

BBC America is so bad at this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The TVM's plot is a little wonky (just a bit too much to cram into one movie), but it got the atmosphere right, the characters and banter were fun, and it's still really good looking for a TV movie. Lots of clever cinematography and good edits (the climactic montage being particularly brilliant. "That's all the time we have.")

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

There's a lovely part of Power of the Daleks very early in the first episode. Ben yells "RIght who are we?" and The Doctor says "Don't you know?"

It's just such a perfect Troughton moment and it's in his first five minutes in the role.

I like the contrast in that Polly is more willing to believe this is the Doctor while Ben remains skeptical for a long time.

Also her playing along with the "Lesterson listen" bit in Episode 2.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Season 22 is engaging as a sort of experiment- they were exploring a darker tone and protagonist as well as wrestling with a new format, and while it doesn't all work I feel like it's a shame it was cut off so abruptly.

Season 24 is the weakest, working both under heavy time pressure and the pressure to keep it "kid friendly" even more than the season before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Watching the BBC America Who marathon, and thanks to the restoration I now get that "I am your sol-dier" in Victory of the Daleks is a Power of the Daleks callback.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See I think the attempted arc of the Doctor's instability is the one interesting thing in the story- the rest is just so generic.

That said I think The Dominators is worse. They cut an entire episode from that one and it's still too long.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The episode was very slight and inconsequential, but at the end I thought "aww, that was sweet", so I'm counting it as a good 'un. Didn't have much to say about "superheroes" (I don't think Moffat was really trying to take them down or anything- at the end they say they'll keep the costume around) but the characters were engaging enough for me to root for them.

Liked Charity Wakefield as Lucy especially. Had a lot of fun with her character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, even the episodes with Me have an overt threat-of-the-week to be dealt with. It possibly could have been integrated better with the superhero stuff (maybe make the brains connected to the crystal somehow), but a superhero does need villains.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ratings for this were about on par with last year's X-mas special (a drop of 0.09 which is barely anything), which is a nice surprise considering I expected a whole year off to be bad for ratings, at least at first. AI figure was about the same too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware, shows having one showrunner who was in charge of everything wasn't really a thing in British television until RTD took on the role for New Who (he'd brought it back more or less singlehandedly, so he assumed the responsibility).

At the same time a lot of British scripted shows tend to be written by one person or team, with editors and such. That wasn't feasible for Who so a showrunner-type role was the next best thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Doctor Who under a commercial broadcaster would always be vulnerable. One of the main reasons the attempted American co-production didn't work was the potential cost of a show that changes locations every week, has a small regular cast, and doesn't have enough standing sets to make bottle shows a reliable thing. On a given Star Trek show they can always just write an episode which is people on the starship dealing with some anomaly, DW basically did that once- with Inside the Spaceship, which is a fun little hour of television but which also pretty much exhausted all the potential for such stories. It would always be an expensive show. How big it can get is limited by the BBC not being allowed to touch Worldwide's merchandising money, but that's both a curse and a blessing- it's probably never going to be so costly that it needs absolutely smashing ratings in order to justify its continued existence.

It is always going to be tricky to make, and I feel like the BBC as a non-commercial broadcaster tolerates the delays a little better than most. If they had a weaker spring in 2016, so be it.

Now, under the BBC they've had to play it pretty conservatively, make no mistake. The whole first season of the revival has all sorts of cut corners- they never visit an alien planet, the space station set is re-used over three episodes, there's a lot of focus on Rose and her family so they can shoot a lot of stuff at the council estate, Jackie and Mickey and Jack are all semi-regulars who get re-used, etc. But even bringing it back at all was a gamble- especially on Saturday teatime which was considered absolutely dead.

The show as it is now, still quite popular and selling lots of merch and so on, would probably do well for a while on a commercial network, but I feel like the instant there was a change in management somebody would be saying, "This is costing us a lot of money, and it's a pain to produce, how much do we really need this?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm a fan of a wrestling promotion that people are, at best, apathetic about and, at worst, apprehensive to.

That's like all of them

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I believe for some of these, they cleared things with the writers/estates of the writers who created those characters and monsters. The BBC doesn't own all of those. For the new show they've made sure to have all new monsters and characters and so on be created by staff (the freelance writers are told what to write) so they're work for hire and the BBC owns them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm more confident about Chibnall than I was because he's going to make it more of a writers' room sort of deal, and an issue the show has run into both recently and near the end of RTD's run was that after a few years with these very identifiable creators at the helm you sorta know all their tricks, so it's like "oh, a nonlinear timey-wimey plot twist AGAIN." Now we're presumably going to get more a mix of voices. (I kinda wish they'd bring back creator ownership of new monsters/characters in the bargain but I doubt that's in the cards.)

It would have been nice to see Capaldi in that new environment because I think even by Season 8 (which was Moffat's fourth season, of course) we were in that familiar stage and that did slightly hamper the fun, but he's still been an amazing Doctor and I hope he makes the most of S10.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

NarkyBark posted:

Speaking of harry potter, apparently Capaldi has said that he'd like to see Frances De La Tour in the role.

Also something about UK bookies odds have Ben Wishaw as the favorite.

Giving it to another white man seems like a mistake- there was so much interest and questioning over the issues of "why not a female Doctor" or "why not a POC?" last time, Peter Capaldi made a good enough change at least from the trend of younger actors, but now I feel like there's enough pressure that they should go ahead and try for some diversity in the lead.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

Yeah there is actually a hell of a lot to point to as lacking or bad, but McGann is fantastic and the story just hits all the right emotional beats for me.

Zagreus on the other hand.... :stare:

It really baffles me that at no point in Zagreus' production did anyone look at the script and say "this has gotten way out of hand and needs to be made into something more coherent." Like it's so obviously overstuffed even for an extra-long story- a lot of good ideas but they shouldn't be thrown together.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

"Okay, Peter, it's your last season in the role. What sort of episode do you want to do, more than anything else?"

"Well if you're giving ME the choice..."

Nobody's said anything about Chumblies yet?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I actually kinda like Attack of the Cybermen- for all the flaws the script has it's stylish as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Barbara - Best Companion or Bestest Companion?

And nothing is more "Early Doctor Who" than how happy Hartnell is with his Science Cup:

:3:

Ian and Barbara have so much chemistry, it's amazing.

• Locked thread