Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pinacotheca posted:

Never mind The Christmas Invasion or The Waters of Mars, what about him stealing Jo's sandwiches in The Sea Devils? Absolutely unforgivable.

She was really hungry, too :smith:

This is, no joke, why Three is my least favourite Doctor. It's basically the first thing I saw and it immediately soured me because the writing and direction makes it clear you're supposed to think Jo's in the wrong for daring to want to eat more than half a stick of celery. It's not "Laugh at the Doctor being a dick", it's "laugh at the woman for being a glutton".

Then I saw The Three Doctors, and... well, if you already think Three's a dick, him being one to the Second Doctor when Pat's being so effortlessly charming and fun isn't going to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Clara was great, gently caress the haters.

(her leitmotif sucked tho)

I like Clara's theme in isolation, but it's so jarringly different from the show's usual aural landscape that it really sticks out and feels like someone just changed the channel.

(That said, if they do a cliffhanger for Class and then that song starts playing I'll freak the gently caress out)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Listened to the first story on the War Doctor 3 boxset, and it's really good. The minutest thing bothered though, and it sounds so stupid. Big Finish's TARDIS noise has some extra... 'greebles' around it when it's landing/taking off (you'll know what I mean if you've ever paid attention), but the War Doctor 2 set did away with them, giving us what was essentially the TV TARDIS sound, which sounds far better to my ear. They've brought them back again, and it irks me. v:shobon:v

Also, the bassline of the Who theme had me imagining Missy stopping mid-conversation and saying to the Doctor "you know I can still hear those bloody drums?"

I imagine her dancing and tapping out the beat with her umbrella before complaining "You ever have a tune in your head that just won't leave?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Welp America. Here come the drums.

The Master at least had coherent policy plans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe we'll have it easy and be part of the 10% killed by Toclafane

The Toclafane would be jazzier if they were gold, to be fair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

British power outlets look like very concerned Cybermen :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fVj8A-K8E

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

After The War posted:

It's just some stupid 60s British show about an unnamed, extremely clever, anti-authoritarian iconoclast exiled from home and struggling against the forces of tyranny, oppression, and conformity. With a theme song by Ron Grainger.

You probably wouldn't like it.

Next you'll be telling me some giant nerdlord has started making audio dramas about it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

He has a new jacket with blue lining instead of red this year. Possibly as a per-episode variant like blue/brown Tennant.

Bah, I liked hoodie, guitar and shades Twelve.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Special feels a lot like Moffat fan-ficced the Doctor into the Richard Donner Superman movie. Like, he must have watched that film like 30 times while writing this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

You just promised me more than you loving know and ruined the entire thing

Now I'm never going to enjoy what's actually there

I mean it fairly literally. There's big swathes lifted straight from the movie wholesale.

Also, not sure Moffat's quite gotten the message about where the line between sweet unrequited love and creeper behaviour is.

Trailer had Twelve's shades and hoodie, but no guitar, so only 66% hype.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fact that the whole point was "grow up and stop being a superhero" is basically why. Moffat likely doesn't LIKE superheroes, but knows they're popular, even though the Doctor, as noted in the episode, pretty much IS one. Donner wasn't a fan either, but he got the appeal.

Edit: Also not quite getting what the point of the scene with the Doctor at the school was, beyond setting up the 'he floats when he's horny' gag that wasn't that funny and kinda spoiled a possibly romantic scene.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 26, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't HATE it, but yeah, you can tell the parts Moff cared about and it wasn't most of the main plot.

In defence, Matt Lucas was very good and Nardole as a snarky manservant who won't put up with Twelve's poo poo is fun.

Edit: "Where'd you get the robes?" "Twelfth century Constantinople. I ruled firmly but wisely. :)"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 26, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the x-ray vision part had a couple of decent lines, but nothing as good as the actual film's take on it. (Helped by the fact that in the movie, Lois invites him to look before he does so, where as Moffat added that flashback scene so we know he's used his powers to see her naked)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Moffat still ran all of next year's episodes though, didn't he? Chibnall isn't in charge until '18?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the Ghost catching the spaceship with his right hand even though he's left-handed so as not to drop the baby monitor was very in keeping with Superman. And the Doctor being the last person in the universe to put together that Superman is Clark Kent was pretty good too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, but the budgetary reasons why the show took a year out means Moffat HAD a full year to write it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cargohills posted:

I can't imagine Netflix being a very good platform for a family show either. Their current crop of original content is all comedy/drama for an adult audience.

:confused: No it isn't? They commission a poo poo-ton of kids stuff. They've got a deal with Dreamworks Animation to make stuff only for Netflix, hence why every Dreamworks movie has a spin-off series, and where the new Voltron came from. Plus stuff like Beat Bugs and I think they have a deal for a lot of toy tie-in stuff.

Plus they co-produced the most recent Degrassi, and there's the new Lemony Snicket show that's just going up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Just realised that William Hartnell and David Bowie shared the same birthday. Makes sense when you think about it.

Oh, that's a bummer. I only listen to Benny stuff when it's properly under the Who banner (the novel adaptations including her and the New Adventures of... sets) so her supporting cast being out of character isn't really a problem for me personally, but if the thing as a whole is kind of naff then yeah, I suppose I'd be better off giving it a miss. Shame, Twelve and Benny sounded like it would be a fun match, and the story being set in Sydney was an extra little bit of novelty as an Australian.

I've listened to it, and Benny herself seems fairly in character, albeit maybe in slightly higher spirits than we normally see her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Evil alien clickbait is pretty much the epitome of the kind of story I'd expect from Class.

Did the show do well enough to get another series, by the way?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maelstache posted:

Wow, I'm surprised they even bothered to commission a tie-in novel, given how little of a gently caress the BBC seems to give about the series.

Dude, there were like 5 of them the last time I was in a bookstore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FswjRpmFXU

:(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, we don't really have a history of stuff like Class was aping, so there's no traditional place for it go in the schedule. The BBC used to air Buffy at like 5 in the afternoon (and Channel 4 tried to run Angel in a similar slot and ran afoul of the body-snatching demon date-rapist in like the second episode making it totally impossible to air without cutting the eps to shreds.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Better or worse than Lisa Bowerman's?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At least it wasn't something sudden and he likely had time to get his affairs in order and say his goodbyes. Still :smith:

So the moment had been prepared for?

:(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beeb has some suggestions.

As usual, some fairly unlikely names proposed (Emma Watson? Andy Serkis? Bit busy doing movies these days, I imagine!) but nothing as bad as the Daily Mail suggesting Catherine Zeta-Jones was a very likely possibility to succeed David Tennant.

Liv Colman would be excellent, and as they note, she's got a decent working relationship with Chibnall already.
I'm a little confused as to why they put Tate and not Piper, considering Billie basically auditioned for the role about 3 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually, had a rethink on this and will reiterate an earlier post - they fudge it by casting Billie Piper but making her use her dubious accent from Penny Dreadful. :D

I honestly think it's a coin-flip as to whether this would work, actually. Like, if she leaned into it and they wrote the Doctor just oblivious as to why everyone looks confused when she speaks...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordZoric posted:

I really want that to be in-character. The idea of The Master/Missy doing home improvement work is too good.

I like the idea of her building and painting a fake police box to fool the Doctor and busting up as he steps inside and sees it's the same size inside.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Smart as he usually is, I feel like Moff is the kinda guy who doesn't 'get' that the Batman show was supposed to be a comedy on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's quite a few Rifftrax on Amazon Prime. Should give me something to get through the wait for the new MST3K.

Would recommend Icebreaker with Sean Astin and Bruce Campbell. It's a lovely Die Hard knock-off set at a ski resort, with Astin as a soft, doughy John McClane stand-in.

• Locked thread