Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I am exceptionally okay with an episode about the Doctor trying to figure out being in a modern superhero movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So I just got back from Doctor Strange, and maybe it's because I haven't seen the show for long enough that I've started seeing it elsewhere, but it is a VERY Doctor Who-esque movie. It only gets more pronounced as the movie goes, honestly, to the point where the climax is basically just Heaven Sent's ending.

EDIT: In fact, I can't shake the notion that the early sequence of Strange's consciousness getting tossed across reality includes a few shots based on Who title sequences. I recall being reminded of Four's, Ten's and Eleven's in particular.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 19, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
We're living in the monkey's-paw-wish reality of someone who wanted to live in BttF2. All the pieces are in place... but are they really, and do you really want them?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

That was one of my favorite shows as a kid and then my mother decided the whole family should go out and have a wonderful day at the beach and form long lasting memories that would warm our hearts for decades to come instead of getting to see the final episode :negative:

Do you actually remember anything that happened that day, though? Because I can't remember poo poo about the family dinner I went to instead of seeing Lady in the Fireplace. And I don't even remember what event made me miss The Stolen Earth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
In twenty years, you'll be able to judge exactly when and where somebody grew up by what role they know David Tennant for playing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

I've spoken to someone who had no knowledge of Tennant outside Jessica Jones.

That wouldn't be that surprising, especially if they're American. Until Jessica Jones he was mostly ubiquitous in British things; he'd been in some American stuff, but honestly if you hadn't even seen Doctor Who you'd probably have missed him.

And I do want to say, I think we're all on the same page that, no matter what, anybody that says Harry Potter is lying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Last Christmas is on telly at the mo. Best Christmas special by far.

I found a marathon of the Who Christmas specials that's onto that now.

I really want to know where and how 'Nick Frost as Santa' turned up in the concept. It's genius, but was that where everything started and the rest grew out of justifying it, or was that the final piece of the puzzle?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I was a big fan of that one, actually. I feel like it wasn't a parody or anything, just a superhero story within Doctor Who. Came off a lot like the CW's superhero shows (particularly the Flash, I think), but those shows are good so I'm alright with it. The Ghost himself was pretty fun. I also liked the continuity of the villains being the same secondary foes from the last Christmas special, I feel like they'll probably wind up being the recurring figures of Capaldi Christmas specials. I'm alright with that.

My dad and I were guessing when the Ghost will next be brought up. He thinks it'll be a cameo or reference in the next modern-day America episode a few years down, I think he'll be part of the same laundry list of referenced figures that Torchwood and Sarah-Jane are/were part of in the world-threatening finales.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The episode was very slight and inconsequential, but at the end I thought "aww, that was sweet", so I'm counting it as a good 'un. Didn't have much to say about "superheroes" (I don't think Moffat was really trying to take them down or anything- at the end they say they'll keep the costume around) but the characters were engaging enough for me to root for them.

For what it's worth, the Doctor Who Extra for this episode went a lot into the superhero side of it, and it's definitely a love letter to the silver age and accompanying live-action stuff, especially (unsurprisingly) the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

Adorably, this carried over into the actual production. They used Reeve's Superman as reference to how to shoot a lot of the Ghost's scenes and handle a cape, and they figured out how to do the Empire State Building scene in a closed studio by imitating the classic Adam West Batman wall-climbing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TL posted:

I liked it quite a bit. Though really, Grant clearly grew up on the John Byrne, post-Crisis Superman, with the assertive go-getter version of Clark, but acted like a pre-Crisis/Chris Reeve nerdy Clark. Though I'm probably reading too much into the choice of Superman books beyond "they were laying around and we go them cheap".

Can't pattern yourself entirely on an image. Grant's clearly still a total loving dork even as the Ghost, he's just constantly trying to put up a facade, which I thought was a cute and kind of original way of handling the seret identity thing. All the classic superheroes are confident and good at maintaining thatmask, even if it leads to bias in who they save, but Grant's clearly awful at it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And he's clearly not immortal, he's INVINCIBLE, which is entirely different. He's grown up, into a mature adult at that, and grew up on comics like Superman and Spider-Man that teach responsible use of powers like his. He's not likely to do much damage, and seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't seek ways tobprolong his life and outlive his loved ones.

That gem will come out, eventually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but he'll probably just swallow it again.

Oh, no, you misunderstand. I'll rephrase: the gem will no longer be in Grant's system, eventually.

I'm saying it'll be free to get when he dies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

"So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey rather than burn it. I'll have to live with that. But for now, for this moment, I am the Doctor again. Thank you."

Think I'll watch Day of the Doctor again to cheer me up :unsmith:

I feel bad that the War Doctor is the only role I really know John Hurt as, but I'm mourning him based on that anyway. I don't think any theoretical version of Day of the Doctor could've turned out better than the one with John Hurt as the Doctor, that was masterful casting and a fantastic performance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

How about the one guy who is always on those quiz shows that people really seem to like?

David Mitchell is a little too meek and flustered-seeming to be a good Doctor. Brian Webb would be pretty good, though.

side_burned posted:

Am i the only one hoping for Tilda Swinton to be cast as the next doctor?

I'd be very on board with this, partly because after I started transitioning I've gotten a couple comments that I resemble her. I'd be cosplaying as Swinton-Doctor forever and be totally okay with that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

IT Crowd is probably his biggest thing. He's also in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, and Nathan Barley a bit. He's also just signed on to host new eps of The Crystal Maze, so he's probably going to be a bit busy.

He also hosts Gadget Man, which is pretty fun. He's definitely not someone who would be a good actual Doctor, especially since he seems to have settled into more non-acting entertainment roles, but if they ever did a new Curse of Fatal Death-style non-canon comedy Doctor Who thing, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Ayoade.

Fun nerd fact: He was actually the first casting choice for Wheatley in Portal 2. Originally, Portal 2 was going to have you led by multiple personality cores, one of which was the first version of Wheatley written with Ayoade in mind. I think he was still intended to voice him when it was first rewritten to make Wheatley a more leading role, but around then was also when they started using Stephen Merchant's character from The Office as inspiration.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Megaspel posted:

Oh man I would've loved Portal 2 with Richard Ayoade, I'm not a massive Merchant fan to be honest. I think I used to be, but then I watched 'hello ladies' which was just really bad, the worst, and fell off him and Gervais a bit. Merchant was still amazing in Portal 2 and definitely made that character great, but I reckon Richard Ayoade would've done an amazing job too, maybe better.

I think I like the idea of Ayoade-Wheatley more than I would've liked the reality, personally. I love what he does, and I think his awkwardness would've been good for a lot of Wheatley's scenes (especially early on), but I don't think he'd have been able to sell the occasional moments of (awfully-manifested) rage and fury as well as Merchant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

AndyElusive posted:

It was a nice evolution of his character I thought. I liked how he was melding the aspects of his personality into a cohesive whole as time went on. It's fun watching him soften up.

While I'm at it, I hope there's more Doctor being a rockstar in his final series. I know lots of people didn't like it, but that poo poo was extremely my bag.

I will always think of 12 in his Raybans, on a tank, wielding his axe.

12 as an aging rockstar that's still got it is the best part of his run, don't feel bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King Plum the Nth posted:

Does Clara remember Danny Pink or what? Does she recall being the impossible girl who lived through all the Doctor's lives? Does she remember being old but saved by Santa? Seriously, did I forget or miss the reset button that was pressed on all of this character's experiences?

In order, and to my understanding:

-She does remember Danny Pink, but the space of time between Death in Heaven and Last Christmas/season 9 is long enough that she's overall come to terms with the fact and is done with mourning. She might be sort of hurling herself at the Doctor's adventures out of a lack of anything else in her life, but the season doesn't really come out and say that.
-She remembers being the Impossible Girl to some extent, but not fully. It's always been very nebulously covered, but I always took it that she knows what happens academically but has no real connection to the memories.
-She remembers the dreams from Last Christmas about as well as you remember one of your more affecting dreams.
-No, you didn't miss anything that 'resets' her experiences, season 9 is just kinda bad at approaching them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 7, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CommonShore posted:

Did Eccleston just hate doing the show or something? Thinking about it, I've known for some time that he decided to end his own run, but I've never actually been clear on why, and why he's so distant from the show now.

He didn't like working on the show, no; he apparently didn't like how little influence he was permitted as the lead actor (especially compared to the series he did with RTD before that), and especially didn't get on with one of the directors, the one that did Boom Town. He did get on very well with Moffat and the crew for The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, though.

That said, that's likely not why he left. Eccleston has never been one to stick to a role for very long, he'd prefer to just do it and leave before he gets typecast and remembered forever as 'the guy that played X'.

EDIT: Semi-beaten, I'd trust Jerusalem more on this one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Matt Berry's Master would be amazing. :allears:

Oh god, I just realized how perfect this notion is.

I imagine a Matt Berry Master having no subtlety or leadup whatsoever, it's a normal day in London until he busts through the door (any door) and is IMMEDIATELY enacting some nefarious scheme.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, quick call for something. I'm planning out a roleplaying campaign with the direct tonal inspiration being 'the weirder-scary New Who stories'. Particularly I'm trying to nail that weirdly unsettling feel I get from stuff like Flatline, Blink, or some of the Cracks of Time. The 'makes your skin crawl after some involved thought about it' things.

What I'd like to ask for is if anybody can think of any examples of that specifically being pulled with physical space? The best examples that came to mind for me were... well, a lot of Flatline, but also that one part of Father's Day where the TARDIS disappears from the inside-out. I know there's more and better examples than that, but they're not coming to mind for me.

Also if anyone can chip in with other examples or feelings on those it'd be great. I know what makes my gut cringe in those stories, but I want to find more ways to hit that tone than what does it for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe something like Hide? It's a haunted house, but also dealing with another dimension?

Hide's not a bad pick, although it's less overt than the stuff I'm focusing on right now. I'm currently trying to work out the stuff I can/should do in terms of direct physical space, because that's going to be a big tentpole of it early on.

Some of the other stuff I've got earmarked to potentially pull from for this on various levels, because they evoke that 'quietly disturbing' feeling I'm talking about :
-Midnight
-Parts of The Empty Child
-Some of Silence in the Library, but not much
-Good explorations of the Cyberman conversion (although I'll have to be careful here, some of the group know I'm big on Cybermen)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, I have no idea of what it is you're going for. Elucidate, man!

I'm trying, man!

What I'm going for in general: Doctor Who's got a way with weird concepts, that aren't outright scary but are creepy and unnerving. It's usually really simple and relatable things, which lets that inherent creepiness settle in and puts you in a space to grasp it. It's a hard thing to put my finger on, but I know it's there and I want to really play with it. It's the sort of thing that makes Blink and Flatline work so well, it's tapping into totally normal yet slightly irrational thoughts, things we notice or recognize and... not even terrifying them specifically, but just giving them something to struggle with and worry about. Who is definitely far from the only piece of media that does this, but it's got a particular willingness to and style of going about it that I'm trying to grab onto.

Specifically for this: I'm looking for when that crosses over into physical space and material objects, rather than living things or intangible concepts. The actual context I'm working with is that a reality-shaping engine is currently in the hands of someone who's not using it very well, so I'm trying to find some interesting and unusual ways to depict that that might elicit similar feelings of off-putting strangeness and unorthodox menace. Flatline had that in spades, but I'm struggling with other examples.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The God Complex?

I'm not quite sure what you're after either, to be honest.

I think The God Complex was in the back of my mind, and it's definitely one of those episodes I'm talking about (my own dislike of the minotaur aside), but I don't really remember any times when it specifically made use of the weird space of the setting it came up with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The uncanny is definitely what I'm going for, yeah. The stuff that looks normal but breaks just enough to be unsettling. The Cracks brought a lot of it to play with and did really well at it, and there's been other, similar takes.

Another I thought of was definitely Night Terrors, and although that wasn't great as an episode the dollhouse was a great setting for this. Scaled appropriately so people can be in it like a normal house, everything being fake just felt wrong.

House of Leaves might be outside my skill level to pull from, but that's definitely something worth trying to work with at least.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

After The War posted:

I know you're going for televised stories, but The Chimes of Midnight has exactly what you're looking for, is a thread favorite, and costs only three bucks.

Audio may not be a bad place to crib from, really, since it has to rely on descriptive and conceptual creepiness without any visual shortcuts.

It's not as cheap, but The Death Collectors gets there, and Spider's Shadow (which comes included) maybe even moreso. Kingdom of Silver is based around a concept that should chill even hardened Cyber-fans, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing. Neverland, too, (and I'm ashamed to see so much ill spoken of it in the thread of late. Ashamed!) but it's the cap to a season-long arc.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm blanking right now. Memory Lane and The Nowhere Place, maybe? I always get those two mixed up, but they both gently caress with the idea of perceived space.

Oh god you have no idea what you've awakened. I've been avoiding Big Finish because I was scared of what I'd fall into if I let myself start, but the fact that it's more accessible to me than the classic series meant it's probably the best recommendation of all these so far. But hey, Chimes of Midnight is three dollars, that's not a very painful first step, and it's a standalone thing that doesn't require me to buy other things to follow it, so it's not too bad. And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

The only reason I didn't buy Neverland too is because it's not as well-spoken-of here and apparently requires prior understanding of previous stories I don't know.

EDIT: I may go out on the weekend to see if I can find House of Leaves, so you win that round too, DoctorWhat.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 1, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

After The War posted:

What's our Classic Who familiarity? There's definitely some fanwank stuff in there, but by Neverland they're building as much off their own continuity as the inherited one.

I literally haven't had the opportunity to watch any Classic Who. I want to, but I can't track down its airing well enough.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, the only real disappointment there is both Four and Eight getting the Vashta Nerada. I mean I like them too, and I'm sure both stories will be good, but surely there's enough new Doctor enemies that they don't have to do the same one twice in the same set.

EDIT: I went to see what potential picks there could be that would be interesting, and am now distracted by the fact that holy poo poo, Adam Mitchell was the villain of IDW's 50th anniversary series and his wiki article is kind of hilarious as a result.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
"Okay, Peter, it's your last season in the role. What sort of episode do you want to do, more than anything else?"

"Well if you're giving ME the choice..."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So I want to ask, in what situations do you guys listen to Big Finish stuff? I'm struggling to find a place to fit it into my normal routine, because while I put podcasts on when I'm doing work or playing a game that doesn't need 100% of my attention, the podcast tends to fall back in importance and I sort of drift out of things occasionally. I don't feel like that's a good suiting for Big Finish, since it should be getting most of my attention but I don't feel like I can only do that.

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

the best things about it were just aping stuff done way better in Richard Donner's original Superman film.

The most fun part from a nerd perspective is that they were literally doing this behind the scenes. That movie, and the Adam West Batman show, were being used as reference for how to shoot some of the stuff they weren't used to doing.

...But now I just wish they made the tone of the story more like Adam West Batman, that would've been fantastic and exactly the dumb feel-good tone that suits a Christmas special.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Holy poo poo, the Cyberman voices in Spare Parts... :stare:

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 24, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I love the filter they use for the cybercontroller voices:

"The city uses too many vital resources. It will be. Shut. Down."
"That's insane!"
"Sacrificezz. Muzt. Be. Made."
"Why!? What's happened!? What could possibly be more important than saving people?"
"We. Muzzt. SURVIVE."

I'm still not even sure the Comittee's voice is human-generated, and not just an expertly manipulated circuit board or something. The regular Cybermen sound like there's a real human voice behind it (albeit expertly filtered, Yvonne's got some great moments of pushing it to sound very weird and emotional), but the Comittee just sounds like electronics being forced to make English sounds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oh my god it's everything I ever wanted from a streaming service. When is this coming to Australia!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

For the record, does anyone know the reach of BritBox?

I know it's not in Australia, which is a huge shame.

• Locked thread