Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

50 years ago last week was Doctor Who history. The Tenth Planet episode 4 featured the Doctor regenerating for the first time, as William Hartnell left the show to be replaced by Patrick Troughton. That story has been told to death, but the real story began the week after. The Power of the Daleks was Troughton's first serial as the Doctor incumbent, and to most, it's one of Doctor Who's finest stories. There's only one problem: a few years after broadcast, the master tapes were erased. It is estimated no one has seen the serial since as late as the mid-70's, when the last known copies were sent back from Australia. For decades, we've had to wonder what the story looked like, primarily using the surviving audio matched with telesnaps. Well, wonder no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN45T4fJAeo

The BBC has animated the Power of the Daleks, and will be released episodically on the BBC Store daily starting November 5th, 50 years to the day after the first episode was broadcast. BBC America will broadcast all six episodes two weeks later on November 19th, and the serial will be released on DVD on 21 November in Region 2 (we don't know when it will be released in other regions). While it's not one a discovery of the missing episodes, the animation is as close as we're going to get barring some miraculous discovery in someone's attic.

Once that's over, it's just a few more weeks until the Return of Doctor Mysterio, the annual Christmas special and first new Doctor Who episode in exactly one year. Filming for Series 10/Season 36 is ongoing with a scheduled debut in April, so we can all hem and haw over all the writers being terrible until then, even if it turns out that original series writer returning is the ghost of Robert Holmes. I'd post a trailer for this, but there's no good one out yet.

Class is currently in session, so that's also going on. Note that the character of Ram will appear in the upcoming series.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Eleventh Hour. This doesn't mean to disregard the 9th and 10th Doctor's stories, but it's the easiest way to get caught up. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
UK - Drama, Horror
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations
Canada - you're out of luck
Australia - Syfy

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, BBC UKTV, Syfy

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?
Amazon Video is the exclusive streaming partner, featuring the current series up to and including Series 9/Season 35. The original series is noticeably missing from all streaming services, sadly. The upcoming Britflix will presumably carry the show, if and when it comes out.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone. Also, because you can't stream the original series.

AN INCREASINGLY LESS BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 218th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

Philip Hinchcliffe Presents
Back on again! Another Tom Baker line of releases, all based on stories written by former show-runner Philip Hinchcliffe.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
The Doctor plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures.

Novel Adaptations
Based on Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Missing Adventures, the book ranges that lasted Doctor Who fans from 1991 to 1997.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The War Doctor
Holy cow, Big Finish got John Hurt? You bet they did, and the Time War is heard for what might be the only time.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
In slightly less astounding news, Big Finish got David Tennant and Catherine Tate to reprise their characters. Considering they are both in the prime of their careers, this range may not be regular.

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles usually feature just one actor, while the Early Adventures feature small casts.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything featuring a Big Finish-created companion).

Finally, TEN YEARS AGO we were extremely worried that Catherine Tate would ruin Christmas by being an insufferable character on Doctor Who. Today, the character of Donna is regarded as the most 3-dimensional of companions under RTD. Will history look kindly on Bill? Only time will tell.

Also, spoilers from that era referred to the episode that would be known as Blink would be the 'low budget' episode. Now THAT'S comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Enemy of the World and the Web of Fear were fast-tracked to release, since they only recently found them. As such, they didn't have time to get bonus features.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who isn't cancelled! :neckbeard:

Let's party like it's NOT 1989!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone have any personal opinions of the Power of the Daleks episodes released so far?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

A colour version of the Celestial Toymaker would rock.

They'd run out of yellow before episode 3.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Entered my first DWSS. You might want to add a link for how much international shipping costs, The_Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm also going to the cinema to see the Power of the Daleks, even though I now get BBC America in HD.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Yeah well, we elected Trump. We deserve this one.

The U.K. voted to leave the EU, don't they deserve a reprieve as well?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the moral is that No One is Innocent, and we all deserve the Power of the Daleks.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apart from Quinn's shirt pocket getting Monkey Island'ed in one scene, the animation was fine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got my Secret Santee just now, and boy did this person give me a stumper! I hope they like things that are tangentially related to Doctor Who, since, from basic reading, my Santee owns a LOT of things directly related to Doctor Who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The show's almost as old as Hartnell and Capaldi were when they became the Doctor!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have sent my Santee his or her package. Expect it December 7th.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

Not gonna lie - if this ever gets referenced in a Big Finish between McGann and McQueen, I'm buying it day one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

I would watch a full season of Doctor Who in which the Master is an only vaguely reformed companion of the Doctor, who constantly has to learn lessons, and then betrays the Doctor at the end of the season, but the Doctor expected it all along. They could look wistfully at each other throughout the whole thing and have freshman-level philosophy discussions. This would have worked best with the screamy Tennant version of the Doctor, but Capaldi is talented enough that he could pull it off.

I still don't want them looking for their dad, Ulysses, though, even it turned out to be James Joyce.

On that note, I had an idea for a ratings-grabber once: the Doctor and the Master both regenerate at the same time, and only they know which is which. We spend a whole series with both traveling in the TARDIS, and in the finale they reveal which one is the Doctor. Does it make sense? Not really, but I have to get this idea out there when/if Chibnall steals my idea.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Plus, I think the priority should be the missing episodes. After all, those were MEANT to be visual.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cleretic posted:

In twenty years, you'll be able to judge exactly when and where somebody grew up by what role they know David Tennant for playing.

I know Ringo Starr was Mr. Conductor, but he played the drums too?!?!?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

There wasn't a Mr Conductor character in UK Thomas - we didn't have the "Shining Time Station" framing device.

Michael Angelis was the definitive Thomas narrator in any event.

I bet your favorite Doctor is Four :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're welcome! I'm glad the package found you.

Now I wait for my package. :ohdearsass:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

So BF announced that for 2018, the series of Tom and Leela, instead of being released at the rate of 1 a month, are going to be released as 2 boxsets. Can't help to wonder if it's just a cost cutting measure, or if someone else is going to take up the January to August slot.

Dare we hope for more Tenth Doctor Adventures?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
New Who tomorrow! :neckbeard:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My sister enjoyed the episode, and that's the most important thing with Christmas episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: My DWSS package arrived, all the way from Australia! And holy crap, was it good!

4 Big Finish audios (helpful readers know that I don't like the enhanced audiobooks, of which none of these are)

A collection of Seventh Doctor comics (featuring Abslom Daak :confuoot:)

What looks to be a card game involving bears

:wtc: Will this even play on a Region 1 player?

Thanks a bunch, BSam!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think part of the problem is that there had been several years' worth of original Seventh Doctor fiction in the form of the the New Adventures before Big Finish started up, so he already had this big complicated continuity that they probably weren't 100% sure how to approach.

I think the Seven audios get a real shot in the arm once Hex gets there.

Not to mention they had the Bernice Summerfield rights before the Doctor Who rights, so that complicates things a bit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Goongrats on being modded, Jerusalem! Is it safe for me to come back to PSP now?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Ooooh, what did you do?

I'm a fan of a wrestling promotion that people are, at best, apathetic about and, at worst, apprehensive to.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it's not shocking, but still sad. At least all his Big Finish stuff is completed, so we won't be left wondering "what if..."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I wish it was still streaming somewhere. Now it's just :filez: until a supposed Britflix launches.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was slightly disappointed the spoiler wasn't a return of the Zarbi.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Weeping Angels are in the news, but it's not a Series 10 spoiler.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Keys of Marinus is certainly a serial. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I can firmly say that it leaves no opinion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you're talking about ALL official Doctor Who material, including spin-offs, you'd have to read several hundred books. How fast a reader are you?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a reason I single out I, Davros in the Big Fish section of the OP.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is it unusual for only 1/4 of the series' episodes to have confirmed names about two weeks out from broadcast?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looking through the episode list of the first two Doctors, the Abominable Snowmen and the Ice Warriors are not mentioned at all. Considering they mention Marco Polo, there could be rights issues in those two serials.

e: Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are all unavailable, but are mentioned.

e2: Earthshock not mentioned, either.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Judging from BBC America, the first episode of series 10 will be extra-long.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
A few episode titles have been revealed, but none of them are spoiler-y.

e: putting two and two together makes me believe the second episode will be a 21st century take on a certain 7th Doctor story.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 5, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

CaptainYesterday (all-Rush mixtape now I guess?), are you gonna make a new thread for season 10 or just stick with this one?

I'm working on a new OP right now, funny you should ask. Although not for season 10, since it's not 1972! For the record, does anyone know the reach of BritBox?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ah. Is it still on Netflix in the commonwealth, or is it on some local streamer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm sorry, it's too late! This thread is regenerating, and I swear this won't be the biggest loving cop-out ever!

• Locked thread