Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I remain split between watching Class out of some sort of pseudo-professional obligation and just not giving a gently caress.

Do like I do and watch it because it's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Your next project should be watching the lovely DW spinoffs in order, starting with K-9 and Company.

Making sure not to skip this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_(TV_series)

I'm the person who says there is no bad Doctor Who and I consider Torchwood and Class to be good. K-9 is a bad show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Well I'm in.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I skimmed it, but I love that the date at the top is November 9th.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

What's The Prisoner?

You are, number six.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

uvar posted:

Victory, Asylum
  • Audios: Fear, Renaissance, Plague, Brotherhood, Enemy, Invasion, Return, The Time, Blood

Missed the latest release, Order of the Daleks.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I HAVE NEVER NEEDED ANYTHING MORE~!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

One of those amusing username/post combos.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

TWANG!

Cheers Big Mean Jerk!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

You're welcome! I'm glad the package found you.

Now I wait for my package. :ohdearsass:

It's gonna be late, I've had some issues recently. But it is on it's way finally. I don't know what dr who stuff you have but I hope I haven't doubled up on anything.

Post when you get it yo!

Jesus christ postage from aus to usa is hosed.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

In related news, sending to the US has gotten really expensive. :/

I know right!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I almost corrected you to Lurkers at Sunlights Edge, but they both fit those two criteria.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That was loving amazing.

Gonna have to redo my top ten list now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nah it's just brilliant. Fun.

Nothing wrong with a good old super hero pastiche, you don't have to expect everything to be a self aware satire parody.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Is that what the Doctor was fixing with his machine on the rooftop?

Yeah, I can't remember the exact explanation but he said he was fixing something that was his fault.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I know right, this last year has got to be the longest anyone has had to wait for new dr who. It's just unacceptable.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

How does the future look?

Oh it's a new year.

I don't like it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

:siren: My DWSS package arrived, all the way from Australia! And holy crap, was it good!

4 Big Finish audios (helpful readers know that I don't like the enhanced audiobooks, of which none of these are)

A collection of Seventh Doctor comics (featuring Abslom Daak :confuoot:)

What looks to be a card game involving bears

:wtc: Will this even play on a Region 1 player?

Thanks a bunch, BSam!

gently caress yeah. Glad it arrived safe!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh no, you are going to sing!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

They brought back Commander Maxil?

I have a feeling he played someone else in the early Dr Who episodes, I may need to rewatch to recall who.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

echoplex posted:

As a former employee who has a mortgage and would like to continue working there, I can't say that DW is frequently "not great", but, you know. But being a BBC show there isn't really any commercial pressure to give it the chop if the viewers drop, it can go back and be formatted and tweaked and brought back hopefully for the better. Whether that happens in practice you can decide, but it's protected status virtually lets it be whatever it is for as long as it is (cancellation is the whim of the exec as opposed to advertisers or revenue pressure). At this stage, DW helps pay for other shows (rather than the other way round) because it's phenomenally successful globally. It's not really a risk any more, and now Top Gear is dead it must be in the top 5 shows that puts money back into the Beeb than takes out.

It would be nice if there was more money, of course. I'm back on Black Mirror and I can spend in a morning what I'd spend in a month on DW, but I don't think that would change the production schedule much. Bear in mind we wrapped S9 in Oct and we were back on S10 in May, with production occurring at a script/development level the whole time. It is a ballache of a show to make, and you can make it quicker if you throw a lot more people/money at it, but I suspect from a BBC standpoint, there's not much need to - the show is beloved by the media here, the fanbase stays consistent with all the tie ins, and they seem to get good casting based on goodwill/it being an institution. If they production values were twice as high as they are now with more money, I don't think it'd change the end product in any meaningful way. Yes you could produce more, but DW is a fairly gruelling show and I think it's probably quite good for the talent to have long breaks in order to keep them on the show.

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrttt1Tpug

Yeah but they stole a year off me!!

Nah seriously I love the show, if they need breaks like this to make it better then I can't complain, and thank you for your insights into the making of it (and that secret Santa gift from the set a couple years back, it's not gone on eBay :) )

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

TL posted:

I'd be so in for a Matt Berry master and a Richard Ayoade Doctor.

With Chris O'Dowd and Katherine Parkinson as companions.

Basically, bring back the IT Crowd.

Basically this.

Except the Matt Berry Master regenerates from the Chris Morris Master after a season or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

amazing, but where's evelyn etc

• Locked thread