Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Secret santa could be fun but I don't know what stuff the thread considers good. Last year I saw people posting pictures of books and miniatures and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the Impossible Girl bit, I didn't like middle Clara, but I liked the "too big for her breeches" storyline and the way she was resolved, at least when it was all said and done. She's kinda neat because (as far as I know having not yet watched any of 5-8)) she's the only companion who subjects The Doctor to the implications of time travel, and not vice versa.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I grow up I want to stab someone with a spaceship

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

State of Decay is also awesome.

I'm almost finished 4! I've watched about 5 stories this past week. Loving the prog rock electric guitar series 18 theme.

e. also the cliffhanger ending from the end of "The Leisure Hive" 1 would make an awesome looping av.

spoiler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxay8YsC7_Q&t=165s

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 8, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

State of Decay is awesome.

Except for Adric.

What's wrong with Adric? He's basically Wesley Cru....

oh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just finished 4's run. Good times

My first impression is that I liked 3 a bit better as an actor (if I'm making a forced distribution), but 4 has the better stories. Not enough ridiculous chase scenes in 4, either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also, in watching Logopolis I realized that if the universe were infinite, there would be an infinite number of universe-ending evil geniuses ending the universe at any given moment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McGann posted:

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Which reminds me, I remember once listening to the first episode of Graceless and coming away from it having no loving clue what it was supposed to be about or why I was supposed to care. Which echoes the OP's opinion (however, I will defend Dorian Gray because that series is good. Corny, campy as hell and needlessly moody at times but Alexander Vlahos kills it). It even made me read Picture of Dorian Gray - which is a boring book for 75% of it, but now I can at least say I read it? I guess?

Btw

Decided not to abuse anyone else's (my NuWho friend, my sister, even my loving MOM offered) willingness to sit through 3 hours of boredom (for them), going to a movie alone for the first time in probably years. loving PUMPED.

It's only playing one night, and it's 230 km away from me, and it's a loving Wednesday in a work week.

I might be able to make it, but that would involve missing some volunteer commitments....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Am I in the minority in feeling that Dr. Who is at its best when it's more towards the "Monster of the Week" format? Most of my favourite episodes are ones that are more concerned with telling an immediate, present story than with the development of a larger continuity, even when they take place within that continuity (eg, 11th Hour, Heaven Sent, Blink, The Empty Child).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok cool. One thing I said about Who (albeit not here, as far as I recall) that I've seen my friends start quoting is that it's at its best when it goes and does largely disconnected stories in randomly-selected settings, and it's at its worst when it tries to develop its own consistent universe of connected peoples and civilizations. Whereas, on the other hand, Star Trek is at its worst when it goes (to the holodeck) to do largely disconnected stories in randomly-selected settings, and it's at its best when it tries to develop its own consistent universe of connected peoples and civilizations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A lot of the best Star Trek episodes are standalones, though, and their attempt at a consistent universe have lead to things like the Borg being made Very poo poo

Fair. I think that the comment about DS9 really hits what I meant, but early TNG episodes including the Ferrengi also hit on what I think of as peak Star Trek - stories and arcs that involve the difficulties of civilizations rubbing up against each other.

You're totally right about good standalones, and right that the show's baggage did weigh it down at times, too. The late TNG Borg/Lore episodes are baaaaddddddd.

e. I keep thinking about it and lots of good episodes merely give a sense of continuity where none or little actually exists. That's interesting. It's like "MAJOR FEDERATION ENVOY" comes and thing happens, and it's like "Oh man the Federation big wigs meddling again," but they're all actually throwaway characters. My point that stuff is still connected to a widder, consistent setting still stands, though, even if my generalization doesn't.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 16, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on Time Flight now on my front-to-back Classic Who sojurn. I'm starting to enjoy the screwdriverless stories. I can see lots of little points in the writing where the writers could have had Davison pull out a sonic screwdriver to solve a problem, but some other smaller charming thing happens instead - such as flipping a coin to decide which path to take (as opposed to scanning with the sonic).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

It's great because the Doctor isn't fooled for a second (well he doesn't know WHO the bad guy is, but he knows he isn't what he says he is) and then when the reveal finally comes, it's all,"AHA I WASN'T ACTUALLY A MAGICIAN AT ALL!"

That's where I stopped last night :3:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the cliffhanger rehashes, especially when the high drama that's at stake proves hilariously impotent one second later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watching Mawdryn Undead. This episode is cool as poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I've only listened to the first episode, but so far UNIT: Silenced is exactly what I was hoping for. The Silents are ideally suited to the audio format and they're so well realized in this - it also plays around with some neat subversions of what we've seen on television as a direct result of those things we've seen on television. My favorite so far being,"Humans have hunted us for a generation... YOU are the killers."

Yeah this one freaked me out as a kid (that cliffhanger of the "Doctor" with their spaghetti-forehead :gonk:) but watching it as an adult, it's got a really good story in there and it all comes to a really neat conclusion.

I'm not sure if I like the improbable timing of the climax, or if I can accept that it was an inevitability of the paradox they were playing in, but I love a good time travel cause-effect sequence story. It had me thinking of Heaven Sent in certain ways, and the major guest appearance of the story made my day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Going to see Power tonight in the theatre :woop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Power was fun. Pacing was a bit off for a 2.5 hr showing obviously, but you can tell that more effort went into the last two eps of the serial.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like The Time of the Doctor specifically because the "doctor going to war" consists of him stomping around in suspenders and a bow tie with a cane, pointing at things and striking cool poses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I just saw the 5-6 regeneration.

What the gently caress is up with Peri's accent? Is it my imagination or does she keep shifting between American and English?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

They decided to cast a girl from Surrey as an American. An American specifically from BALTIMORE of all places.

....kay.

I'm starting to get the sense that I'm in for some weirdness through 6's and 7's runs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about The Twin Dilemma.

When one or two people onscreen seem bad, maybe they're bad actors. When literally everyone on screen seems bad, it's a bad director.

I've listened to a couple of Colin Baker (+ Alex Kingston) audios and there's basically no comparison. He's far more mellow and sensitive in the ones I've checked out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo Vengeance on Varos - the doctor grapples with and dumps two goons into an acid bath; cue sad trombone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I have some thoughts on this topic however you'll forgive me if I don't join you.

These next few years' worth of Doctor Who may prove a bit of a slog....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The best part of the web planet is when they have the ant guys in the fibreglass costumes run in circles around a piece of set to make it look as if a huge endless stream of them is running across the screen when they only made like 5 costumes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm hand-wringing hoping that my santee likes the gifts I sent :ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is a highly-directional ultra sonic beam of

rock

and

roll

it kills

:smugdog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One thing Revelation had going for me is that some of favourite Who characters are the Orcini types - competent in their own right and seeming as if they may have been almost able to solve the problems on their own, meaning that the Doctor participates instead of simply appearing and solving everything for everyone. Orcini and Bostock may have not been the best example, but for me it was refreshing to see a plot resolved by the Doctor's participation rather than by his godlike intervention.

If that distinction at all makes sense. I haven't caffeinated yet today.

Now that I think about it, there were quite a few Peter Davison plots that unfolded like that. My mind first went to Black Orchid, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I think I get what your saying. You like stories where the situation is almost solved, but the Doctor provides that little extra push that turns it up to 11.

Rather my preference is that the Doctor not be a Christ-like savior and is more of an adventurer among others meaningful agents. I realllllly don't like certain aspects of the RTD era which essentially had all of Earth "praying" with their cell phones for the Doctor to save them whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Right? And so when the Doctor comes down a beatific peg or two, the best stories typically involve a few characters whose competence and decisions matter beyond the typical "hubristic guy who fucks everything up for the doctor to fix." For some reason thinking about this brings The Sun Makers to my mind, but I can't cite textual evidence as to why I feel that way about it.

I think that this may be why I like River's and (Jack Harkness's) stories generally, even when they're weaker - she's a site of competence outside of the Doctor, and her adoration for him has more solid footing in her characterization. I like to think of the "Mighty Warrior" stuff as her poetic hyperbole rather than any kind of fact, though that's likely me giving Moffat too much credit for subtlety.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks, McGann!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sylvester McCoy seems alright so far through one story. The production values and overall feel of the show feel as if they reverted to the late Baker / early Davison eras.

But I unironcially wish that McCoy's Doctor had stuck with the Napoleon getup.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The TV movie was made in America you fuckers

what

e. I googled it out and I could get behind Kyle MacLachlan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched both of them recently, and I barely could pay attention to The Twin Dilemma. Timelash was at least a bit engaging and had a few moments. It may be not so good, but it wasn't tedious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop: xmas special!!!

Anyone have a list of broadcast platforms? Will it have immediate online availability (in Canada)?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I enjoyed it idgaf

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was a perfectly acceptable episode, but it's not going to get onto anyone's lists of great episodes. Not every episode is going to be Heaven Sent. I know that's an apology for sometimes shoddy writing, but it's also the truth. On a forced distribition across a completely randomly arbitrarily assembled scale of The Twin Dilemma (Or The Zygon whatever) to Heaven Sent, this episode is probably higher than median, but not much.

The high point was Capaldi. He had a number of pretty good lines and he delivered them well.

It's ok - I'm an intruder too. Yeah I brought snacks - mark of a pro.
How come our side never gets plans like that?

And Matt Lucas was good, too. He brings something a bit different to the role of companion. I like when poo poo isn't the same old poo poo as always, and "super sexy cool companion" is played out for the time being. Bring on the rogues with inscruitable plans and madcap shenanigans.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Beens posted:

The fact that there wasn't any episodes this year wasn't because they needed a year to write this one special.

:catbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fil5000 posted:

The author of Flip Flop is tweeting a commentary of it at the moment. I was particularly struck by this bit:

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/814942289881612291

I agree with the thread in general that it comes out murky at best, but it's nice to know what the intent was.

When I first read that I thought that he was indicating that there should be a story in which the villains are unscrupulous journalists and publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's too bad that there's no deep-pocketed international streaming service that's always hungry for content which would love to host Doctor Who. That could be a good source of production capital.

• Locked thread