Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A reconstruction I can stomach, but colourisation is a bridge too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Astroman posted:

IDGI. Does Cardiff just hate tourism revenue or something? :confused:

You expect demand to last forever? It's not Les Mis

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is why you fly into Gatwick and sleep on the train in.

Are you tryi to trick people into using Southern Rail? That's cruel

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

a day out in an old quarry seems an appropriate rendezvous

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Boy do Classic Who and commercial TV just not mix at all. LONG-rear end ad breaks and no end titles at all because they had to jump right to Dirk Gently.

UK Gold managed for years. just have to accept that your schedule isn't going to fit into a rigid 30 minute / 1 hour pattern

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

McGann posted:

Amazon UK, get your poo poo together https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Power-Daleks-DVD/dp/B01LOC83Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479734555&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+the+daleks

Everything on that page acts like it is released, which makes no sense because I know you're right. Plus, looks like the blu-ray one is the version that comes with the colorization version. Lame!

edit: and I agree with that sentiment, if only us US-Santees weren't stuck waiting until almost Feb to get a copy we can play.

vvv agree with that sentiment as well

It is released. Amazon UK sent me a copy that arrived Saturday.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Huh, I thought I was the only person on Earth who preferred III to II.

Christopher Lloyd does too
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/21/christopher-lloyd-donald-trumps-a-beast-he-needs-to-be-put-in-a-cage

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Sorting a list by a date field is hard guys. Give the billion dollar tech companies a break.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Also: it's terrible!!

People hated it before it had even been aired. Because it was an American bastardisation

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Don't condemn the poor man to death!

We should be so lucky

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

He will always be Casanova to me

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CommonShore posted:

But Netflix carried Doctor Who previously and that didn't undermine its status as a public production.

licensing the rights to show reruns of something that already exists before you came along is completely different from financing the production of something and therefore having some control over it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

april

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Astroman posted:

we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule
first world problems

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Astroman posted:

But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.
licensing & merchandising revenue aren't ring-fenced for the show, but a rising tide raises all boats.

if the problems stem from mismanagement then throwing more money, any amount of money, at them won't solve the issue. the bills will expand to use up the excess and now you're back at square one, albeit with a shinier output in that period.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

howe_sam posted:

He's the lead in the Dark Tower adaptation coming out this year, so that's one at least.

his last lead before than, Bastille Day, was a bit hosed by real life events.
there was Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom before that though

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

can you people genuinely keep straight the titles of all those The ___ of The Doctor episodes without checking?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

cargohills posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I can agree. On those two examples, I feel like Kate mentioned the Brigadier enough and that he's a popular enough character that people have a sense of who he is, especially if they grew up with the old show or have ever went back and watched a 3rd Doctor story or The Five Doctors or something
the target audience for the show (kids today) didn't and won't

the five doctors especially is unmitigated shite. no one is watching that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Come on now, you can't be impugning the raston warrior robot.
The only good you can say about it is it's not the worst thing in The Five Doctors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm into series 26 on my front-to-back viewing.

Battlefield is fun and good and bad. I gather that the prose and audios have filled out the story some, but to have Capaldi play the other half of that plot would be outright jolly.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's one of the few things that the series as a whole hasn't mined, surprisingly. There are a handful of references to the "Merlin" incarnation, and the suggestion that the Seventh Doctor is not a fan of his, but they were mostly restricted to the NA's IIRC.

A quick wiki walk over on TARDIS wiki (eugh) has them suggesting he actually appeared in a couple of NA's, but I think it's just another case of that website trying to draw a particularly long bow. At most it was probably just some implication in the books -- and that's not just because I'd prefer Merlin to be the War Doctor.

on a scale of 9 to 10 how much do you love Attack of the Cybermen?

• Locked thread