Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Well worth $12 for this valuable insight

A Michael Baldwin, but which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

name this boyband

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Drama time as some right wing people got banned and an Armond White fan account is mad online about it

https://letterboxd.com/notarmondwhite/film/intolerance-loves-struggle-throughout-the-ages/1/

quote:

BIO

"Look how the eternal mutts always shift the conversation into this weird ''muh politics'' fantasy land where you have a made up White & Black conflict invented and defined by the media and exacerbated by nationalists and shills. The eternal muttbrain is incapable of thinking of anything without filtering it through his corporate masters.

The muttbrain, the fat circumsized freak can't even image that the conversation might be about how their favorite movies are failing because their favorite movies suck. Some stupid poo poo about race or capitalism doesn't matter, what matters is the creative stock of the industry. White movies fail all the time and there is nothing you can learn from it, other than that you should be making better movies. Just because The Great Wall fails doesn't mean "white people shouldn't make films'' and just because Ghostbusters fails doesn't mean ''women shouldn't make films.'' Art isn't your personal Karl Marx theory flex zone.

~ Anonymous

quote:

Before I actually discuss the dramatic tribulations of a gay black kid, let me just start by giving you the out-of-context "bigoted" Twitter screenshot bait you want so badly:

Moonlight's global box-office: $65,046,6f87, even AFTER its Oscar wins.

Joker's global box-office: $543,928,787, in just the first 10 days.

Movies are communication & expression. Movies are ALSO a science. This is something that's been completely forgotten by front-page Letterboxd'rz who turn off silent movies because they're "hard to follow" despite boasting about their apparent super-god abilities at enjoying Kino. At the end of the day, you're making movies for an audience (duh), and how the audience is receptive to your work is all that matters, no matter which prestigious groupthink approves of you.

So seeing the reactions to the latest box-office hit Joker, critics and """prominent""" Letterboxd figures piling in on it as if it were the SECOND COMING of... I dunno, that Queen movie from last year or sumthin'... mostly consisting of the same 12 people going on angry diatribes about the movie being a "white male ego trip", a "Scorsese rip off" (everyone suddenly becomes a film historian who cares about the integrity of old movies when it involves trashing a movie they don't like) and that it "glorifies violent mobs" while contradictorly INSISTING that "the movie has nothing to say", the empty blanket statement to end ALL empty blanket statements, it reeeaally jogs your neurons...

What the HELL are these people complaining about that all their precious cows don't already do?

I reviewed Moonlight once long ago on a different account, but I don't think I ever truly got to the bottom of why I reject this film and others that are like it. And with the recent Joker controversies, I think it's the most necessary time for me to dig in, because let me just tell you now, practically EVERY one of the complaints people have about Joker could EASILY be applied to Moonlight.

quote:

Because Joker is still clearly the villain, the movie still never separates from that fact. I've heard prior to watching that the Joker is actually a metaphor for Donald Trump, and honestly, I GET that approach, even though I'm not even fully against him. Let's be honest here, cuckservatives and tolerant liberals, while there ARE sects of DT's fandom capable of forming a violent cult like people constantly fear-monger about him, the vast majority look at him like Lennie Small from Of Mice and Men, the dumbbell that always screws everything up for them and hardly goes 100% on his best policies. Yet people still found it a crucial effort to vote for him in office regardless of all his egregious flaws, because to them it's either HIM or letting another elitist politician take control again.

What an extremely normal and good brain person! THE ETERNAL MUTT jesus christ

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I actually really appreciated that Armond White account, but now that the mask has slipped.... YEESH

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Finally jumped on the train and got myself an account. Ive been seeing a ton more movies now that Ive got AMC A-List so it seems like the right time.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/mjmartinez

What are some good accounts to follow?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

What are some good accounts to follow?

Sean Baker, director of The Florida Project: https://letterboxd.com/lilfilm/
Roger Avery co-writer of Pulp Fiction, Director of Killing Zoe etc. Gives anime 5 stars: https://letterboxd.com/avary/
Josh Trank, who recently popped up to give his own Fantastic Four movie a 2/5 https://letterboxd.com/joshuatrank/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Most of the people in the first post of this thread are good follows.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is the iPhone app better if you get pro? I just want an app that I can rate movies on when I watch them.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Pillowpants posted:

Is the iPhone app better if you get pro? I just want an app that I can rate movies on when I watch them.

Well, now that drops ads, which is what (finally) made me pull the trigger on supporting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pillowpants posted:

What issues are you having with it? Cause I used the iOS app as non-Pro and Pro and love it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

What issues are you having with it? Cause I used the iOS app as non-Pro and Pro and love it.

I like how on criticker you can easily rate movies and it keeps updating. The interface here is nicer but I really don’t care what other people think about movies. I just want a place to track what I watch and rate it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's a green Plus icon in the bottom center that jumps straight to "log a film", and you can also set up a Siri shortcut if you're so inclined to voice shortcut straight to that interface as well

Edit: also works if you longpress the app icon

SMP
May 5, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Most of the people in the first post of this thread are good follows.

ok whoever followed me with this as one of their only reviews please report directly to jail

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Trying to find the person who made that review hit me with the awful truth that people are putting the phrase "my randomness" in their bios in 2019.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IMO the best use of Letterboxd is to find some well-argued opinion that is totally contrary to yours. Mike D'Angelo is my go-to guys for that: https://letterboxd.com/gemko/

So often I'll stumble across his lukewarm or negative review of something I absolutely loved, but I can't help agreeing with what he says. A persuasive contrary opinion is the best thing on the platform.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Jamelle Bouie’s Letterboxd is pretty neat

SMP posted:

ok whoever followed me with this as one of their only reviews please report directly to jail

:dogbutton:

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 1, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A user who's (allegedly) the director of Aimy in a Cage just followed me (I think they're following everyone who's marked themselves as having watched that film), and whoo, they do not care for recent films.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Darthemed posted:

A user who's (allegedly) the director of Aimy in a Cage just followed me (I think they're following everyone who's marked themselves as having watched that film), and whoo, they do not care for recent films.

If he's the guy who made that, these reviews make me want to totally write him off as a creator. Everyone who went to film school knows a guy just like whoever wrote these reviews, and their films were always trash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s impressive that someone can give Stan & Ollie and Holmes & Watson the same score of **.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://letterboxd.com/farts_johnson/

here's my letterboxd if y'all wanna see how often I get bored and just watch things filmed in the 1890s on YouTube for a few hours.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s impressive that someone can give Stan & Ollie and Holmes & Watson the same score of **.

Equally impressive for the person giving Holmes & Watson ** to also give Phantom Thread *

Truly astonishing hot takes

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
i tried reading one of his reviews and gave up after like three sentences. it's like a parody of an insufferable art student.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

i tried reading one of his reviewers and gave up after like three sentences. it's like a parody of an insufferable art student.

Yeah I tried to dig down to what the core of his main thoughts were on some of them and I just couldn't.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I question whether that person actually enjoys film at all:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Of course this guy has Crispin Glover in his film

also lol

quote:

The film is adapted from a graphic novel by Jackson. To finance it, Jackson sold off most of his possessions and invested in Bitcoin. The film was initially budgeted at $250,000 but ended up costing $500,000.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The thing is, Aimy in a Cage isn't a bad movie. It's kind of like a cut-rate, Americanized mix of Bliss, Black Moon, and Brazil, with good performances all around, and traces of Derek Jarman's anachronistics in the set design and costuming. It's unfortunate to see its creator crapping out these reviews, though.

e: Different movie. but what a wonderful spread of reviews Letterboxd has.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2019

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I got bored and decided to make individual, organized watchlists for the decade. I chose 10 per year that I still want to see and listed them alphabetically.

https://letterboxd.com/ratedargh/list/2010s-watchlist-10-blindspots-per-year/

Also did one for the 2000s:

https://letterboxd.com/ratedargh/list/2000s-watchlist-10-blindspots-per-year/

I'm working on a 1990s list now. Anyway, I thought this was a more streamlined way to prioritize my blindspots.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Trip and The Trip To Italy were both cut down to make movies from 6x 30 minute TV show episodes, in case you want to watch the more full version. Great stuff.

I’m trying to hold back about calling Beyond The Black Rainbow mean things in 2 threads in one day.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I'd love to see the full versions! I've only seen the feature-length version of The Trip, and I imagine there was a ton of great stuff that didn't make the cut.

And by all means, drag Beyond the Black Rainbow. I'm curious about it regardless. The response on Letterboxd is...varied.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just utterly hated it. Film school twattery combined with hubris inherited from the fact his father was a director. Shooting every scene wide open for no reason other than a shoddy attempt to be arty, and just a complete narrative mess. I’ll give the trailer credit for making it look interesting, I wish I’d never found it.

I’m determined to watch Mandy and give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he’s learnt how to make something that’ll take the bad taste out of my mouth that remains 4 years later.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Oooof. Well...I will temper my expectations. Doubly so because I wasn't all that keen on Mandy, though Cage is very good in it and not just because he's insanely unhinged. He is...but there's a depth to his performance that's really worthwhile.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some people love it, but I then have a difficult time trusting those people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BTBR is a good mood piece, but it's not any more than that, and to be fair to it, it's not trying to be.

Mandy is a lot meatier.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

BTBR is a good mood piece, but it's not any more than that, and to be fair to it, it's not trying to be.

Mandy is a lot meatier.

Yeah, BTBR is an feature length art piece, Mandy is Cosmatos channelling that style into an actual narrative film.

They're both great at being different things imo but hey, not everything is for everyone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Enter the Void
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNtxgxYY7sI

Quite possibly the best intro of the century.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Enter the Void has been on my to-watch list for a long time. Definitely need to get on that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy crap, they've finally found a solution for the comments of lists where the only options were 'Show all 1,894 comments' and 'Show most recent 20' before. Now you can add 20 comments at a time, which is good enough. My $12 put to good use it seems. I'll see you guys in 2021 when we get another site update!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wish they'd make something useful out of the Popular list this movie is in feature instead of just showing "Random movie roulette" for everything.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s another annoyance, but kinda hard to code around as I’m sure those crappy lists get a ton of likes/clones. It does suck tho, as if I’m in a weird or obscure film I wanna see lists that might open me up to something similar not ‘here is a list of every film ever’ poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Good grief, it's amazing how many false entries there are if you go to Films and narrow it down to a single service for browsing. First 25 films I tried to pull up were apparently on the list only because another film with the same name was on the service.

e: 9 of the 60 entries on the first page were correct links.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 13, 2019