Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Princey posted:

Somebody recommend me some combos to play. I'm home sick and I want to exacerbate my illness by frustrating myself with Crawl.

Options:

1. Easiest combos to win other than melee fightmans. I've only ever won melee fightmans, it would be nice to do something else.
2. Combos that are just loving fun to play, even if questionably viable.
3. Gods that are cool and fun and new or underused, and combos that synergize well with them.
Merfolk Ice Elementalist is your stereotypical hybrid, training Ice Magic solely until you find yourself a polearm and then use Ozu's Armour and other buffs before melee fightmanning.
This came up in the tourney Discord but Hill Orc Abyssal Knight gets you with Lugonu easily on a chassis that already favours Invocations. Essentially a different method of hybridization. This is not a HOAK! :v:
Then your stereotypical glass cannon blaster mage is Deep Elf/Tengu Fire Elementalist. Both can poo poo out a ton of damage but they tend to be fragile. A lesser form of it is High Elf/Draconian Wizard/Skald whose book either gives you less damaging spells but more paths to choose from or basically an array of buffs combined with the species being a good hybrid chassis.

As for combos for gods new and underused..
Demonspawn Gladiator/Monk of Uskayaw
Centaur Hunter of Fedhas
Troll Monk of Hep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Good autoexplores: In between two hornets, on D8, with no rpois.

quote:

5778 | D:8 | Paralysed by a hornet for 3 turns
5782 | D:8 | HP: 4/85 [hornet (17)]
5784 | D:8 | Slain by a hornet

* * * dinnae die * * *
Ye be poison'd!
Ye feel as though ye will be slow longer!
Tha hornet stin's ye but does nay damage!
A soldier ant comes inta view!
Unknown command!
As ye read tha scroll o' fear, it crumbles ta dust!
Ye assume a fearsome visage! Tha hornet looks frighten'd!!!
Tha soldier ant looks frighten'd!!! x2; Ye feel sick!
Tha soldier ant moves outta view! x2; Tha hornet barely misses ye!
Qui'er which item? (- fer none, * ta show all) (? fer menu, 'sc ta quit)
Quiverin' d - 3 throwin' nets fer throwin'!
Okay, than!
Throwin' (i - inventory! (,) - cycle): d - 3 throwin' nets (quiv'red)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - hornet
Aim: a hornet
Ye throw a throwin' net!
Tha throwin' net barely misses tha hornet!
Ye feel sick! Tha hornet stin's ye!!!
rip
e: Had that happen again with the same vault, only with worms and not hornets(not complaining :v:). Maybe hangedman_pestilent_swarm should be tweaked a bit.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 7, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

* * * dinnae die * * *

Dwarf and Grunt? Pretty good combo if it is.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Got into the trove for the first time ever. Now I'm spoiled for choice :haw:

I also have a +3 warlock's mirror. T-Minus time until I die like an idiot.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

#squadgoals #beachday

(Nergalle did not survive beach day)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

500658 InternetKraken the Unseen (level 26, 0/216 HPs)
Began as a Formicid Assassin on Nov 6, 2016.
Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
Blown up by an eye of devastation (13 damage)
... with a bolt of energy
... on level 5 of the Pits of Slime on Nov 7, 2016.
The game lasted 05:12:42 (57532 turns).

Legit kind of annoyed with this loss. I don't know why the gently caress the walls in slime vanish now but it makes dealing with TRJs mountain of slimes on death stupidly dangerous. They don't give any Uska piety when you fight them and its a wide open area where tons of them can keep coming. Oh and you can't do anything if your corrosion resistance just decides to not work since there's no way to repair corrosion damage. So then you do no damage and also take more.

Fucks sake.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I got a Demonspawn fighter to D:11 and the entrance to lair. I cleared the ossuary and found nothing else on my way down. Managed to get two levels demonic guardian which was nice. I also am trying that Uska dance god. So this is usually the part where i run out of crawl knowledge and get myself killed.

Some skills help: I've been riding fighting and my weapon skill (flail) for the most part. Probably 10 fighting and 8 flail. I switched to armor and shield which are probably around 7 a piece. I've basically left every other skill alone. I think I keep doing this? How do I decide when I have enough fighting and flail and need more armor or vice versa?

Items: my items are pretty trash. I'm running a +2 protection flail and +0 plate. I have one ring and I don't know what it does off hand but nothing terribly special. A +2 cloak is the only other decent piece of equipment I have. Which leaves me with no resistances from items, poison or otherwise. I also have a bunch of wands but no points on evocation.

What's next? Lair? Dungeon below 11?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Definitely Lair, also your weapon skill should be much higher than 8.I usually train weapon exclusively until 10, then add other skills but leave weapon on.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I thought eating and drinking more purple was always the answer to bad mutations, but now I went from slow regen 2 to slow regen 3 and I'm scared...

E:
Found 2 more purple pots and....
code:
You feel extremely strange.
 You no longer feel heat resistant.
_You begin to regenerate when monsters are not visible.
_Really quaff c - a potion of mutation {!q}? 
 You feel extremely strange.
_Your vision blurs. x2; Your vision sharpens a little.
so... I guess that's a net gain?

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Knowing how much Fighting to take is basically a player by player choice. The most noticeable thing it does is provide you with an HP bonus but it also provides a slight bonus to weapon accuracy and damage that will have a larger impact when you have greater weapon skill. Thus at this point you should be asking how much HP you think you can get away with before turning it off. Same with Armour, Shield and Dodging; you watch your AC, SH, and EV respectively and see how much damage enemies are dealing to you during combat, particularly those coloured yellow. Feel safe enough? Turn them off or turn on other skills to train.

Weapon skill, particularly when it is your main Kill Dudes skill, is probably the first thing to get soft-capped. Which is to say, you're aiming for minimum weapon delay of your current weapon. 8 is rather low for where you are. Turn off everything except that and keep going like that until ~12-14. After all, if you kill an enemy fast it will not have as many opportunities to hurt you.

Lair is probably your best bet if you're not really familiar with anything past this point. D is pretty even with it but it has opportunities with vaults to throw out of depth encounters against you whereas Lair the bad things are more well-known (Yak, Hydra, Black Mamba, Elephants for the more common dangers).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah weapon skill increases weapon speed (to a point) and weapon damage. Fighting affects damage similarly but adds HP instead of attack speed. The effect that this ends up having is that fighting is more of a defensive skill, ala dodging or armor, and should be trained alongside those. The damage increase isn't insignificant but it's going to be dwarfed by weapon skill until you reach your weapon's maximum swinging speed.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
After getting burnt out on fighter builds I thought I'd have a change and try a Tengu Air Elementalist. Of course, this was the run where I pick up both a manual for Armour and a manual for Fighting on a D:7 Bailey portal :whitewater:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
With the Lair difficulty changes, it's a good idea for weaker characters to do a couple more levels of Dungeon(not to 15 unless you know what you're doing), then go back. That goes double if you have no rPois or lovely defenses.

And whichever you do first, don't be afraid to bounce around different branches if one gets overwhelming. You're not speedrunning, it's okay to backtrack a lot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What rc file wizardry do I need to do to make it so I start every game with unIDed wands, wands of hasting, wands of teleportation, and wands of heal wounds on autopickup, but no other IDed wands?

e: Also, is there any obscure interface way to check how good my hexes are against a monster that isn't currently visible? I want to stop training invo when I can reliably banish hydras but I don't know when I've hit that target.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 7, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I just started a Monk and I am on D7 and I have found zero altars. ZERO.

WHAT THE gently caress CRAWL.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Araganzar posted:

I just started a Monk and I am on D7 and I have found zero altars. ZERO.

WHAT THE gently caress CRAWL.

Have you found all stairs? Sometimes there's areas on a floor that can only be accessed via an up stair

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a way to find out how many Heal Wounds potions have generated in my current game. Because either I'm guzzling them like no tomorrow or hardly any have shown up at all.

I want to find out if I'm justified in complaining or I'm just being a whiner.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Have you found all stairs? Sometimes there's areas on a floor that can only be accessed via an up stair

I lost my 4 streak and Chei III banner to the STUPIDEST loving VAULT on D10. Someone made a vault with a bunch of swamp worms because LOL they can't leave water. Then they changed them to be able to. So I go into this open room with water and no runed door, not even a door. And now I have 3 swamp worms on me. And they have speed 12 on water AND land now because someone didn't give them hydra/merfolk movement when they let them land walk. So now I have 3 fast damage 26 monsters on me and I can't run.

I feel like someone should take a look at that vault. It's a death sentence on D10. Lair branch level encounter.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

InternetKraken stop leaving your ghost all over the dungeon

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Goodpancakes posted:

InternetKraken stop leaving your ghost all over the dungeon

I'M TILTED OKAY :saddowns:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Has anyone pointed out that the lag on bear potato is completely insane. Bring back s-z plz

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Sorry team ogre, I've been ogreburdened the past few days. My name is mrwillsauce on cao webtiles, and I added the line to my rcfile. I hope I did it right. I'm used to playing offline with the console version and I really don't know what I'm doing. Going to splat some ogres right now. I have some catching up to do.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

first ogre was a fighter and got shanked to death by a kobold on DL1. It wasn't even a magic dagger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MrWillsauce posted:

first ogre was a fighter and got shanked to death by a kobold on DL1. It wasn't even a magic dagger.

"LearnDB: #ogre reasons[2 posted:

"]
<N78291> ogen has deceptively high hp that might make you think it can melee an unarmed gnoll

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double-posting to say that I just shafted three floors, (got knocked to 5 HP by an ogre), fell to an ossuary level. Rested, found it at rapid hissing. Walk through the door-

Fall down a shaft three more floors. :shepicide:

Edit Get surrounded by a troll and a player ghost, shaft again. Three more floors.

Shouted "oh god dammit" loud enough that my roomie asked me to quiet down.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 8, 2016

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Double-posting to say that I just shafted three floors, (got knocked to 5 HP by an ogre), fell to an ossuary level. Rested, found it at rapid hissing. Walk through the door-

Fall down a shaft three more floors. :shepicide:

Edit Get surrounded by a troll and a player ghost, shaft again. Three more floors.

Pre-Lair shafting is something of crapshoot due to how hard the early dungeon levels scale. It's better than certain death, but burning consumables or avoiding the situation entirely is almost always the better option.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

Is there a way to find out how many Heal Wounds potions have generated in my current game. Because either I'm guzzling them like no tomorrow or hardly any have shown up at all.

Anyone?

I've pretty much started and finished both Lair branches, gone down to V2, and haven't seen a Heal Wounds potion since my last post. This seems a little ridiculous.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

odiv posted:

Anyone?

I've pretty much started and finished both Lair branches, gone down to V2, and haven't seen a Heal Wounds potion since my last post. This seems a little ridiculous.
At this point, it's probably just gambler's fallacy, no matter how rare they were before. :shrug:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

odiv posted:

No, sadly. The stats currently only track total # of all potions tracked, not a per-type breakdown.

Poison Mushroom posted:

hey, that's a free stab on an orc priest! free xp.......

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
After double-checking, PleaingFungus was correct. The dump only tracks 'potions' which is surprising given how discretely other actions are handled.

If you want to tweak logging in your options, the closest you can get should be "note_messages +=". It is a bit cludgey, but it should give you hard data. On a tangential note, is Regen jewellery more common or is it 9nly the appearance caused by two different amulet types?

After a half-assed glance through the commits, I didn't spot any changes to the green in the last two years. Doesn't count out changes I just didn't know how to find, but I haven't been following dev this year so...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ever since wasps and hornets got merged I have felt that hornets are kinda loving bullshit death machines for the levels they can spawn on. Especially that one food vault where you can autoexplore into melee range with two of them.

cheetah7071 posted:

What rc file wizardry do I need to do to make it so I start every game with unIDed wands, wands of hasting, wands of teleportation, and wands of heal wounds on autopickup, but no other IDed wands?
Just make sure wands as a group are on auto pickup, then add exceptions for every type of wand you don't care about. The only downside is you won't pick up a copy of a wand if a monster IDs it for you, which is a minor niggle if you want one wand of flame for eels or similar. You can also do the same thing for staffs, set the staff group as auto pickup then exclude "staff of" so you only pick up unIDed ones.

e: I've done this for my rc and the relevant part looks like this:

autopickup = |$?!:"/%

ae := autopickup_exceptions
ae += <throwing net
ae += >staff of
ae += >wand of (confusion|polymorph|flame|iceblast|slowing|magic darts|random effects|enslavement|paralysis|lightning|teleport)
ae += >ring of (ice|cold|fire|stealth|positive energy|magical power)

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 8, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm trying to choose a weapon for my DrCj, and I have these two to choose from:

u - the +12 glaive "Miqoiruts" (weapon) {freeze, rElec rF+}.
x - the +10 morningstar of Evisceration {crush, Str+4}.

Going to sink some XP into one - I'm guessing the glaive is better for midgame? (About to start doing Lair runes)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the morningstar will take a lot less xp investment to get to minimum delay/skill cap, crosstrains with staves if you'd like to use an enhancer stave, and you can use a buckler/shield with it

e: i guess polearms xtrains with staves too, so maybe that's a moot point

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

I'm trying to choose a weapon for my DrCj, and I have these two to choose from:

u - the +12 glaive "Miqoiruts" (weapon) {freeze, rElec rF+}.
x - the +10 morningstar of Evisceration {crush, Str+4}.

Going to sink some XP into one - I'm guessing the glaive is better for midgame? (About to start doing Lair runes)

You're a caster with lovely caster apts, don't use either one unless you are turning away from the light of casting to the dark morass of melee. 20 polearms or 16 m&f to bring those online respectively. That could be 16-20 fire, earth, water, or air. Use the Glaive as a resist stick and to finish off weak opponents.

On the other hand, if you are going to be a filthy hybrid also use the glaive, wizmode reports it is 78% better.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Today I'm going for gimmicky combos. I will get that FeSu victory :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FeSu; because I'm sure as gently caress not killing anything on my own

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Janissary Hop posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the lag on bear potato is completely insane. Bring back s-z plz

I switched to CJR because it was so bad.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Janissary Hop posted:

I sure did, but the channel assured me it 'wasn't that bad' and 'they were all like that'.

They were not.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
CBRO is a RamNode VPS (largest Premium server: 135 GB disk space, 4 GB RAM, 4 cores) that somehow became the default American Eastern server and is being overwhelmed in this tournament. We're always welcoming of more servers. In the meanwhile CJR and CAO should work fine for most players. I'd be happy to exterminate your ghosts on CJR!

CSZO won't come back unless someone steps up to admin it. From what I understand of the situation, the problem is that person has to commit long-term to running and maintaining it; and from everything I've seen from my perspective as a dev, being a server admin is a big pain in the rear end, especially when versions are updating and tournaments are being set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Is there ghost statistics somewhere in the tournament? Whose ghost has murdered the most, ect? Did they take that out to stop lvl 27s suicides on D:1-5

• Locked thread