Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
FR: prosperity gospel orc priests of gozag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You can force --more-- on all corrosion monsters. I don't know if you can force it on being corroded.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Speleothing posted:

Can I pause this argument for a moment to confirm the consensus that Ogres need a positive (+1 or better) M&F apt?

:agreed:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Seriously? Has anyone ever complained about finding a good wand? If the issue is repeated access to these effects, I think a more elegant solutopn is increasing the rarity of or eliminating ?recharge. The good wants are fun.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
:deleted intentionally:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Microcline posted:

Haste is too powerful to be put on a wand, especially one that doesn't require any skill investment to use. The ability to recharge wands means that finding a haste wand gives you near-unlimited use of the most powerful buff in the game. Haste wands remove the resource management aspect that makes haste balanced.

So remove or reduce the spawn rate of ?recharge. Then /[haste|tele|hw] are still an awesome find but not an unlimited source of that resource until the end of the game. You might have to rework rods some but they could use another pass anyways.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Prism posted:

Let rods take Enchant Weapon scrolls to get a bigger + and capacity (there are more slots for armour and thus they get used more anyhow and the + suggests they would get enchantments somehow). Then let them be used from the inventory like suggested.

A simultaneous nerf and buff, and they end up less annoying to use. Maybe rename Enchant Weapon scrolls too if more clarity on that point is needed but that's just a name.

I don't know if Enchant Weapon would need to be more common then or you'd just expect to use most rods as they come, with the option of having a place to use EW if you have a randart weapon or are using evocations more than attacking. Maybe make rods spawn with negative pluses less often?

This is just a random idea I threw out, anyhow?

FWIW I like this proposal.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Dpeg, if you're looking for another piece of tedium to take out of 0.20 you can always start with yourself :toot:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Prism posted:

In other news, the thread has done good for newbies because autofight_stop now defaults to 50%, not 30%, to teach new players to run earlier. Also the fencer's gloves and guardian golem descriptions were updated so that you know a) they stack with regular riposte and b) they can explode at low health, respectively.

Also you can acquire helmets now. Hurray!

This is great news! Setting my autofight-stop % to 65 was the biggest step in securing my first win.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
balways baquire barmour (for real now that wands and evocables aren't worth it)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mr. Lobe posted:

Does anyone feel like they've ever lost because they overused their consumables? Because I feel like every death I've ever had in this game has, in one way or another, been a consequence of me not using the resources I had and taking unwarranted gambles because of stinginess.

Twice, both times on the Orb Run, both times as fighter -types who had eaten a couple of rough mutations in Zot. DDFi^Pak and TrFi^Mak. Getting cornered by pan lords when you're out of teleports, heals, and hastes is a rough business. (I had somehow burned through all of my Pakellas Piety, too!)

It's definitely much rarer than the converse.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mormonpartyboat posted:

maybe give them fractional aptitudes?

Is Dungeon Crawl Frog Fractions 3? (You beat me to it!) :argh:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
If you get bored of 'traditional' fighting races, try a halfling! I find HaFi and HaBe to be surprisingly powerful fighters as well. Being small is a big defensive advantage, and you're not as fragile as a Kobold. You can pour points into armour, shields, and dodging and become a mega-tank.

My last win was a HaFi^Ash, who went relatively deep into evocations and stealth. After two runes, I used Ash to convert the skill investment to charms, then got Haste (rip) castable and switched to TSO.

A halfling with a Eudemon Blade, a good shield, and foo-dragon armour is a force to be reckoned with.

Or you can just be a HoMo

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PleasingFungus posted:

not sure what was particularly attractive about sludge elf enchanter; +0 hexes is not really amazing. spriggans & vampires are popular for enchanters generally, though most races will work, since it's a pretty strong background.

re hot builds, are there any playstyles you're interested in?

Not sure what you're talking about buddy. Enchanters are good at enchantments.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
HoMo^Makhleb: fun fighter man who gets early access to powerful ranged attacks and summons to vary things up. Not as easy as a BE but a little more fun.

TrFi^Pak: ( back when pakellas existed) similar reasons.

DeEE^Veh, DeFE^Veh, I like blowing stuff up. Fire Storm is more fun than Shatter but LRD is more fun than Fireball.

DrWz, DsWz: sometimes it's fun to roll the dice and see what you get!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SKULL.GIF posted:

What would a satisfactory reform of Malmutate look like? Removal does not count as reform, by the way.

Change the attack to a petrifying-breath esque cloud, that you can move out of to avoid mutation (at the cost of being attacked by whatever enemies are around) . I'm thinking of the way the cateoblepas works.

With this change, being caught by malmutate would quite literally be a positioning mistake.

code:
The <foo> begins to to channel mutagenic energy! 

You are surrounded by Mutagenic radiation! <<more>>

You feel your body starting to twist unnaturally. 

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Haifisch posted:

The only advantage is the range, but that goes away as Flame Tongue's range goes up and you get other spells. There's no reason to memorize Throw Flame now that you can't just book amnesia it away, imo.

It should probably just be removed, but I have no idea what you'd replace it with.

Battlesphere!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

apple posted:

Is it just the corpse delivery or is it also the necromancy books? I tried a few Vp games and I had no problems keeping enough blood potions on myself at least.

Re-implement pizza, add 1/128 chance for Kiku corpse delivery to give pizza instead. "Sorry, wrong order!"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's not bad. You're going to want some armor eventually despite your abysmal aptitude. Troll Leather is good for most of the game, but you'll probably eventually end up in (Foo) dragon armor. Whether or not you want to go shields probably depends on if you find a demon trident or not.

DD of Makhleb and MiBe are probably still the easiest starts.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Crimson Harvest posted:

What should I do with an abundance of Acquirement scrolls? I keep trying for jewelry but idk what I should be going for.

balways baquire barmour.

(unless you have an obvious deficiency of there's something you want in a store)

This used to be bad advice but without yellow wands it is probably good advice

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Crawl is a great game. You can play it with one hand and four buttons!

Try the following macros for a berserker.

w - \t
a - X < \n
s - o
d - X > \n

Honestly, I love crawl. I often don't agree with the development team but hey 0.8 will always be there for me.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Good change IMO. I would have been cool with a level gating (eg, no breath on draconians < xl12 or whatever) but this is cleaner.

I have the itching to play FO and VS. What are fun class/god combos?

How about a curare weapon buff as poison/charms?

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Araganzar posted:

Sword of Cut Good Brain No Hurt

Please add this

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Polearms-> Polepincers

Triple Sword-> Triple Claw

Crababudduqha

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I used to play Crawl all the time but I can't motivate myself to keep playing it now. None of the stuff I want to be fixed is actually getting touched while a bunch of dubious commits are getting pushed through. A few devs are adding fun stuff but more are just focused on removing things for the sake of "balance". But the game is always gonna have core balance problems without a total overhaul none of them will ever do. Like how the new Council god got pretty thoroughly nerfed before even seeing launch, but even at his peak of power it was still stronger to just roll a minotaur of Trog and berserk tab through everything.

And again, it really annoys me that the devs I've seen call the game easy aren't even loving good at it.

:agreed:

I love crawl and I can always go back to the older versions. But I used to be really excited for new versions and now I just have a feeling like 'well what did they take out this time

(I feel bad just complaining instead of contributing to crawl dev, but I can't use both hands to type anymore so I really have to pick and choose for what little coding I can do)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Konstantin posted:

Buff up the difficulty of the WizLabs, put runes in them, and use them to replace Hell/Tomb. Seriously, there is no reason why newer high quality content is so rarely encountered while lower quality, old content is available every game.

This is a good idea.

At the very least make wizlabs guaranteed to spawn. How would it possibly hurt the game?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

someone awful. posted:

i've only ever used excruciating wounds on a kiku character who was going to brand a weapon with pain later but didn't have anything worth wasting the pain brand on at the time. and another time as a kiku character where i took the necronomicon.

i would be marginally sad if it were removed, but i'm not sure why it remains when the rest of the tempbrands don't

Pain is the only brand which depends on a skill, as far as I'm aware. It gives dedicated necromancers another shot at getting a pain brand in their weapon class. I think it's fine to have corner case spells.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

vulturesrow posted:

Nice one. Anyhow, I finally got around to installing .20. Any consensus on the best blaster start now?

DeFe is still the best IMO. Some people prefer Dr or Ho for a little more of a HP cushion.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Floodkiller posted:

Monsters will no longer spawn after initial level generation. This means that the only OOD monsters that appear from now on should come from vaults (which makes it easier to tell if they need to be changed), and you shouldn't stumble into random OOD bullshit because you decided to use autoexplore too much on a single level. The only places where monster spawns after level gen still happen is Pandemonium, Abyss, and the Orb run.

As a follow up, more monsters are generated when creating a level (roughly by the amount of monsters/XP lost from getting rid of monsters spawning in after level gen) and some monsters being generated as awake in order to still have monsters wandering around to stumble into the player (D:1 is exempt and this only applies to level generated monsters, not vault generated ones).

I think this is a good change. It's another indirect nerf to mummies, but oh well. Solves the two problems of scumming and 'death -by-horrifyingly-OOD'.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Let's make a fork and call it dungeon crawl dead horse!!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I love Crawl, but I haven't played it much recently. Probably some fresh new changes to the game would get my attention, but the direction the game has gone recently has mostly taken out features I enjoyed. I'll always have the hundreds of hours enjoyably spent on various iterations of crawl from 0.6+, but the game I fell in love with is barely there.

My favorite race was Sludge Elf, my favorite spell was Evaporate, my favorite class was Reaver, and my favorite god was Pakellas.

It used to be when they got rid of something I liked, something new would come in to replace it. I lost evaporate and reavers, but the changes to conjurer and the elementalists, along with all sorts of new conjugations like Battlesphere helped dull the pain.

But then they got rid of Battlesphere too, and replaced it with:

You know how they say if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? It's no surprise the thread's quiet.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 6, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Drunk Theory posted:

So I haven't touched this game since like early 2016. Catching up with the thread I see a lot of unhappy players. I'd like to pop into the game for a week or two until I get bored then shelve it for another year or so. Which version # would the thread recommend? (I'd prefer a tiles non-online version, but I'm open for other suggestions)

0.18, probably?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't agree with removing recharge. I always used recharge on one or two key wands - the holy trip of hw/haste/tp before removal, usually enslavement or invis after.

Being able to rely on enslavement because I had a couple ?recharge in my back pocket is something I'll miss.

Why do these changes have to be simultaneous? Why not just implement stacking for one version, see how things play out, and then remove recharge if it's really necessary?

Glad to see WJC is back in action.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Archenteron posted:

:shrug: Lightning Rod still exists so that's still sucky but not a complete shitshow (just four shots at a time)

e: Time to bring back Pakellas with a few mild tweaks, I think.

tweak Quick Charge to add a very tiny amount of charge to a wand (or scale the wands in "tiers" where lower tiered wands get more charges) or recharge the cooldown on other non-wand evocables (with variable cost based on how much recharge is needed)
replace Supercharge with Acquirement of Evocable of your Choice (so free Scattershot or Clouds probably, but these wands are the highest tier so quick charging them is costly enough to not be a cheap and easy infinite. Maybe one of the evocable staves?)

Replace supercharge with the random acquisition of one of three wands: Haste, Heal Wounds, or Teleport.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always thought Mennas was kinda OP. He can straight up kill you most of the time, and his special ability mostly just serves to remove your one real escape option. Always carrying a wand of teleport was the HOM solution, but that was lame. How do you get away from him now?

Read ?Tele the second you see him and hope it puts you near a staircase. Seriously.

Which Crawl thread was Mennas 2 Society?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

rodbeard posted:

Crawl .21 thread titles have been removed in trunk.

:bisonyes:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

jaclynhyde posted:

Got my first win after about a month of playing, feels good! After playing solely MiBe, what's a good relatively easy class to jump into next? Also, is there any way to figure out how many games you've played besides counting all the morgue files?

Try a caster! DeFe is a tried and true (if very squishy) caster combo and one of my personal favorites.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Muts are good there should be titles for having enough muts. If you are a deep elf it should be Sludge Elf.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Internet Kraken posted:

I've tried to provide lots of constructive criticism about the game. I tried to explain my thoughts about basically every major change, good or bad. I foolishly thought that as a player that has played for a long time and gotten 15 runes with every god and species, my feedback might even be valued. I do know a lot about the game. It used to be my favorite game period.

But what's the point in putting tons of effort into feedback that just gets ignored? The devs don't seem to care. They've never shown any indication of caring about feedback provided here and are actively mocking us for protesting recent changes. When I posted on the Tavern my feedback was also ignored, because it turns out the things i really care about (reforming Hell to be less lovely, the value of High Elves) isn't a priority of the devs at all. It feels like the devs will do what they want regardless of what I or anyone else outside their clique says. Which you can't fault them too much for, given the game is their project, but why should I keep putting effort into deep criticism and evaluation of the game if the devs don't event want to read it? Why seriously spitball potential features that won't ever be implemented?
:agreed: I typed out a big old post but you put it much more eloquently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Floodkiller posted:

If someone (or a collaboration effort) can put forward a design document/list of features that the thread can agree upon and wants reimplemented/changed/removed, I'll take some free time over the holidays and try to hammer together a Gooncrawl fork based off the current Trunk version to keep the QoL additions. Some caveats for features:
  • The majority of the thread should agree upon the feature change/addition/removal (so post your document/list in the thread). I'm not reimplementing item destruction if only a couple people actually want it; .
  • List which version (or trunk period) something was changed/removed so it's easier for me to find the relevant commits to work with. If the version is too old, I'll need more details about how to reimplement it to fit the new version (ex. Mountain Dwarves and how to change their old aptitudes into the new ones).
  • If it's too large of a project (ex. entirely new features, major Extended reform beyond some tweaks, etc.), I will probably pass on it unless I can just rip it from somewhere else like Hellcrawl or find the motivation. I'll accept pull requests if someone else feels like putting something together on the list that I pass up.
I'm not coming up with the list myself because I still agree with many dev decisions that are unpopular here, so I would be biased about what I would actually want to put back in aside from a couple things that are my personal pet peeves. Also, because actually sitting down and going through version changes to come up with a good list takes a long time and I would rather spend that time designing new stuff for Crawl (even if I scrap it before it goes anywhere).

I'd appreciate something before next week, or I'll probably just spend the holidays messing around with Extended reform plans instead.

pakellas, rods, scrolls of recharging, fun wands [removed 0.18-0.20]
amulet of +rMut [0.18]
mountain dwarfs [removed 0.10]
high elf's [removed 0.20]
sludge elf's [removed 0.13]
good nemelex [removed 0.15 - might be a lot of work / controversial]
pandemonium pizza
fulsome distillatiion / evaporate [removed 0.12 - might be a lot of work to put back in, as it's deeply tied to the old corpse system.]
poisonous cloud [0.20], phase shift [0.18], singularity [0.17]
crown of eternal torment

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread