Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glidergun posted:

This is as good a reason as any to hop back into the game for a few weeks. Eager to try out Hepliaqlkana and Uskayaw.

If you can actually spell Hep you're ahead of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've heard rumors of people who can spell all the Crawl god names without looking them up, but that's probably just an urban legend.

I can manage most of them (including Kikubaaqudgha) but Hep eludes me for some reason. I think it's the qlk.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

also, there isn't a qlk.

(it's Hepliaklqana. hep-li-ak-l-qanal, and then remove the l at the end for reasons that will become obvious.)

ki-ku-baa-qu-dg-ha - nice rhythm to this one - y-red-rem-nul, six-fir-hy, ne-qo-xec, lorocyproca... but that one's easy!

See, I told you I couldn't spell Hep.

What's the origin of the name of the lorocyproca anyhow? I know a lot of them are just arbitrary; is that one of them?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Things I learned today:

1) Uniques have it out for me, as I ran into Robin with a whip of electricity and Terence with a dagger of distortion right after each other.
2) Lajatangs are pretty cool.
3) Eating mutagenic meat does not stave off starvation.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Janissary Hop posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the lag on bear potato is completely insane. Bring back s-z plz

I sure did, but the channel assured me it 'wasn't that bad' and 'they were all like that'.

They were not.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As a long blades user, I found the Singing Sword on D:6 and the Fencer's Gloves on D:8.

I hesitate to say this is really good, but it's certainly fun to watch enemies die while trying desperately to hit me as my sword taunts them for it. (And hey, the Singing Sword might not be fantastic, but it beats the hell out of a +0 scimitar...)

edit: And Trog just forked over a +4 demon blade of draining, so that's cool. I'm just debating which to use now though I'm leaning toward the demon blade. I have a bunch of scrolls of enchant weapon: worth bringing that up?

Double edit: Never mind.

Not dead, though! I just read-IDd branding and took a risk and it's a demon blade of venom now, so I'm not going to enchant that up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 9, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Araganzar posted:

Here is a tip with long blades and the fencer's gloves, get the biggest fuckoff sword you can find. Like a sword that poo poo in Berserk is toothpicks compared to, use that. It's all about making anyone who dares poke at you with one of their poncy little GSCs pay for it with their FACE. With the gloves you need just enough EV to be missed a couple times a round.

edit: bear in mind this is coming from the king of sneak who is currently running around with a little DENe plinking at big monsters with a little quick blade.

I have 19 EV and even at this point it's pretty hilarious. I actually headbutt on ripostes, too. I don't know if that's intended, but it's a nice bonus. (I assume you'd use all your aux attacks.) I can't afford to drop my shield for a two-handed weapon right now though; it's my only source of rPois.

Does the 'ENEMY looks as sick as possible!' message mean that they are now poisoned to death, or is there a cap other than that?

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 9, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

They'll die to the poison unless they have a source of regen and/or heal before the poison kills them.

So, for the most part, it's a death sentence for anything short of a troll or hydra. (Which you should just keep thwacking at anyways.)

Example You have 10 HP max. You currently have 9 HP, but your entire bar is yellow. You are currently as sick as possible. If you gain HP, you will go back up to 10 and, barring any more damage, survive. You're still marked with 9 points of poison, it's just not enough to kill you any more.

That's about what I was expecting. I've gotten that message more times with this demon brand of venom than in pretty much any other game I've played, so I just wasn't sure if there was a secondary (lower) cap as to how much you could poison something.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

Do formicids benefit from oka's finesse? I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

As far as I can tell, yes. Finesse is not blocked under stasis. (I haven't personally tried running a Formicid of Okawaru but I can't find anything that says it has changed since that update.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

So oka is actually a pretty good god for formicids, then? A lot of thier power comes from being able to tool up with the heaviest of everything so getting weapons, armor and shields as god gifts should really benefit them, right?

I can't see that it would be a bad choice for a fighty Formicid, no. I know even before Finesse worked under stasis there were people winning with crossbowmen formicids of Oka, since as it turns out being able to wield an arbalest or a triple crossbow and a shield when Heroism exists is a pretty solid option. Finesse only makes it better.

Watching one of them is how I learned that the Formicid ability to use a two-handed weapon and a shield applied to ranged weapons, too. Until that point I'd assumed it didn't. But nope! Crossbow and shield is just fine. (Or regular bow, but they get -2 aptitudes to that.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 10, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't the hexer have an antimagic quickblade? That's still gonna be powerful against tons of monsters that are immune to hexes.

At level 25 or so, yeah. Before that they have a dagger of draining. (At least until the mid teens, as that's when my last Hep worshipper with the hexer died.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jerkstoresup posted:

He can still be with you in spirit. #RodsOut

I did exactly the same thing and I'm glad I'm not alone.

#PakToTheFuture

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm confused about how you had that little HP then. Were you walking around injured? Did you never train Fighting? Or are they way stronger than I remember?

They do 4d(walls you are next to *3) damage per turn according to the knowledgebot, reduced by rCorr as it's acid damage (but not, I think, by AC? I'm pretty sure acid splashes bypass AC.)

They do hurt quite a bit if you wander next to a corner or take a step down a tunnel and don't realize how bad it is. If those numbers are right, walking diagonally into an L-shape where both bars of the L are two spaces long can do 4d15 damage on your first turn adjacent to them!

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 13, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Clearly a demi-halfling. Would have been worshipped as a god in the early ages of the Halfling civilization! :v:

Also blinkbolt might be too useful as an escape option; it would be a dual-class lower power version of controlled blink which would not be affected by -Tele levels.

Have it work like chain lightning in that it jumps target to target and you don't pick the final destination. Then it's just like a dual-class version of regular blink that always leaves you near an enemy, but does damage.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Evergreen Stalker

Pine Stalker.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Haifisch posted:

Let me tell you about the 27 title for Short Blades.

Politician

Fun fact: that used to be Stabbing's when that was a distinct skill. When Stabbing was removed, the title was so good that it got moved to Short Blades, replacing Eviscerator. (Cutthroat got moved over then too for the 21-26 tier; it was Blademaster originally. Elves still get Blademaster at 27 though!)

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 14, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

Can a formicid who sacrifices a hand still wield a two-handed weapon?

I'm not 100% sure, but if I'm remembering it right they can, but they can't use a shield (even if they use a normally one-handed weapon) after sacrificing a hand.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sojenus posted:

i have stopped training axes at 26.9 just to avoid that awful title multiple times

New suggestion: change Axe Maniac to Axecutioner

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I give up.

How do you do Shoals as someone who breathes and doesn't fly? Now that I can't stand on doors to not get killed by water nymphs my success rate with non-Gargoyles is unpleasantly low (though I haven't really played any significant amount since the last tournament, which isn't helping). What are the tricks? There's got to be something I'm missing, because I can't believe that one of the four Lair areas is just this much harder than Swamp/Spider/Snake.

I'm sure it's not too bad if you're a good player, but I have like four lifetime wins in versions more recent than 0.10 and I'm just not, so whenever I see Shoals I just kind of sigh and expect to die, even if I put it off.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 16, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Wouldn't ghouls get rotted to hell and beyond by the twisted stars?

Ghouls fix rotting by eating meat, so as long as they kill the wretched stars fast maybe it's not a problem?

I mean, I wouldn't try it personally, but if you want to take the risk for Lord of Darkness anyway...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

The real nastiness is the stat drain mutating can impose on undead instead of the rotting, anyway, when you haven't reached the point in the game where experience is abundant. That's sort of why going Unarmed as your main killdudes is recommended here because the high base damage would render wretched stars inert in pretty short order.

I forgot about that, probably because I've never played a ghoul for any length of time. Good point.

My bitch for today: a deep elf mage just hanging out on D:6 with his fire elemental buddies. That was a surprising (non-runed) door to open. My morgue file claims it was guppyfry_early_elven_hall - early indeed!

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If a trove asks for an item, say a +3 demon blade, can you give it a randart that is at least a +3 demon blade? (Or an unrand, for that matter, if I wanted to give it Leech.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mystery Prize posted:

Man I love Long Blades as a skill because Riposte is amazing, but it's super frustrating not being able to reliably deal with Hydras unless you luck into a decent weapon of flaming (or tons of wands to spam).

I've generally been hoping like hell I see Erica before its hydra-killing time. Sometimes I even luck out!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darox posted:

Everyone's talking about the second point but I've totally seen riposte sever heads, and trigger spines and everything else regular attacks do. Unless that got changed recently?

They stopped doing it a few days after Riposte went in, though at first they did.

Edit: The changelog only says 'Disable hydra head-cutting on riposte', so I don't know about spines, but I suspect they don't trigger those either.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Today I learned that player ghosts can spawn in minotaur labyrinths, and do so next to the minotaur.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

was it rupert.

(for a moment i was hoping it was ignacio... too much to hope for!)

It could have been Antarion. I'm pretty sure I saw him with an executioner's axe once.

But yeah, Rupert's a jerk.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

D:6, have a rod of iron, rod of inaccuracy, and boots of running. How am I going to gently caress this up and die embarrassingly?

e:

I feel like "You headbutt DEAD MONSTER" is probably a bug

What happened? Did you have an axe and the cleave caused pain bond damage to your main target between swing and headbutt or something?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fhqwhgads posted:

Tempted to lose the amulet for a +5 amulet of reflection. Good idea/Bad idea? I'd still have 2+1 sources of regen and reflect along with rmsl and Ru's "redirection" ? Or stay with 3+1 regen and rmsl/redirect?

Reflection does absolutely nothing to help protect you in and of itself (though the +5 SH will, of course).

On the other hand, it is both very helpful and absolutely hilarious in places where people shoot or cast bolts at you. Vaults, Elf, Orc as mentioned, but I'm going to add Shoals - watching merfolk javelineers kill themselves rarely gets old. It's best if you also have a shield to stack your SH higher, of course, because it only reflects things you block. Which you do, so that's that covered.

Honestly, you've already got a ton of regen, so I'd make the trade without a doubt. It would be much more area-dependent if that was your only source though. It's an offensive perk, not a defensive one, so ask yourself: will more damage (that you can't entirely control) help?

That said, I'm also not a terribly great player, but that's how I look at it.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

World Famous W posted:

An amulet of reflection 4-6 is the amulet I will prefer almost every single game. Only randarts with good resists will replace it.

I like harm a whole lot also, but I tend to play so fast and loose it can tend to get me killed.

Do you use it even if you don't have a shield and thus 4-6 is as high as you'll ever get it?

I've heard both answers to that: that it's even more valuable if you don't because any SH is better than 0, or that it's less valuable without a big SH for tons of reflects.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Akett posted:

It's TSO that hates poison, Zin is perfectly fine with it.

TSO doesn't mind poison anymore, actually, though that's a new change.

Smiling Knight posted:

Maybe the issue is clouds of seething chaos?

The rod of clouds doesn't make those AFAIK.

It's the negative energy clouds that both those gods hate.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Goodpancakes posted:

Is this a future change? He was complaining about poison in my 0.19 game just now

Should be in trunk, though if you're playing 0.19 specifically it won't be in. That said, the change to make him stop red-highlighting poison effects only went in more recently, so maybe that hasn't gotten everywhere yet.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shinino Kage posted:

Orc is generally after Lair, tho, going by the 'order' thing in IRC of D1-10, Lair, D11-12, Orc, D13-14, S et al.

I have decent success doing Lair 1-2 (or until I see a hydra if I don't have a flaming edged weapon or a morningstar or better blunt weapon that I know how to use, if I'm dependent on killing them in melee), then Orc 1, then consider my options from there. That Orc 1 is pretty good at shoring up gear at that point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

euphronius posted:

Just did V5. man that was nuts. I found a hallway and tanked the whole floor in it tho.

Is this guy ready for Zot and a win? IDK

http://pastebin.com/kXeMCkr4

If you can tank V5, you can tank Zot, especially with rF+++. The biggest thing to worry about is getting malmutated.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Obfuscation posted:

Oh wow, that's certainly a useful thing to know.

It doesn't reduce the Lee's Rapid Deconstruction damage since he can target you with it, though. (And, IIRC, damage from LRD doesn't check AC three times if you are the thing exploding, only if you get caught in shrapnel.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FulsomFrank posted:

Ah, didn't realise that AK got to circumvent that rule. Interesting.

Lugonu warps space rather than you, so it works. Formicids can use Passage of Golubria too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Yeah, honestly when I read that I read 'that sounds real bad, so I guess it will stop working reliably when it takes damage', not 'this thing will make cool fire clouds for you when it gets punched'.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've found OCPA two games in a row now, and one of them was even a heavy armor caster with 30 str and 37 int, but I don't know how you could use that thing unless you're a Cheibro.

He said he was a demigod; they get double the normal stat-ups by level, don't they? That might make it usable.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah. I can't remember how high their stats get by the end of the game, but I didn't think it would be much more than the 30/37 I had.

I misunderstood then, I thought you meant that your stats were enough to use it with, and 30/37 is certainly going to be achievable for a demigod with a couple +stat randarts. (I don't remember how high demigod stats get either, other than that they get more of them.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

How much damage is eight exclams? Because in the twenty seven swords game I got that once. Thanks boots of the assassin!

All this information is according to the knowledge bots because I wouldn't even know where to start looking myself.

Ignoring ! (which is arbitrarily 7-17) each band has a start point twice as high as the last, so 18-35 for !!, 36-71 for !!!, etc.

This means eight !s is 1152-2303 damage. Even if you misread it and it was only 7, it would be 576-1151, which is still going to make a fine paste out of anything.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

euphronius posted:

Floor god is very underrated . Wish we could pray to her.

That's what we do every game, regardless of other deity choices.

• Locked thread