Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

tweet my meat posted:

Interesting drawbacks that significantly change the playstyle and difficulty of a race are cool and shouldn't be discouraged by lame goons that want a homogenous mass of races with slightly different aptitudes.

I'm pretty sure the average goon is all for quirky races with disadvantages. I just don't think they subscribe to the developer philosophy of "the negatives should otuweigh the pros, because if we give you nice things someone might win too easily, and other people winning is a hate crime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:staredog:

It's like they actively hate people who haven't been playing for 10 years.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It amazes me how much people care about how other people play a single player game, down to being willing to switch gods on the orb run to hide their actual God at time of victory so other spergs won't accuse them of cheating by using things that are legitimately in the game.

Just make the drat game randomly enter an input I can't control every 80-100 inputs. That way the devs can directly and individually gently caress with every player on a per-game basis. You can make sure they don't accidentally have fun in an unapproved manner any way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Half of Dracula posted:

Why not a race? I'd love to play a Royal Jelly. RjBe all the way.

The Royal Jelly race will be the food item, not the monster. It will be completely immobile and lack the ability to equip anything but a single ring, which it will not start with. If any creature not specifically carnivorous ends its turn next to you, you have a 1 in 3 chance of being instantly killed when it eats you.

This will be balanced out by a +1 aptitude in Hexes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wolfechu posted:

God no. I'd put things like dungeonmans and tome way ahead of crawl in terms of accessibility. Interface aside (and both are easier for the newbie), they're available on steam, which gets over the 'where the gently caress do I get this' hump at the beginning.

Neither one of them particularly see having some strong things that are newbie friendly as a downside like Crawl devs seem to either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

jon joe posted:

It's okay, we aren't an 'official' DCSS discussion thread.

We are for the purposes of having fun or entertaining things taken away.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, we know with them being extremely positively received by players, a nerf was bound to happen before they went live. At least it was a small-ish nerf. :v:

The core rule of development of any piece of software is "never give them what they want", otherwise they'll start asking you for things and expecting them to be done.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The question is, do they ever make it all the way to -8 aptitudes across the board?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This game has the worst devs.

While I think we've known this to be true for awhile, it's amazing to see just how dedicated they are to holding that crown.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Instead of removing stuff they consider too good (or not their pet project), they should simply make it so that to use that race or feature, you have to watch an hour long youtube video that is just the dev team ranting about what a stupid piece of poo poo you are, and how they personally hate you, the player, for not playing the game "correctly". Then it would direct you to a form you would have to fill out and that lets them know you accept their scorn on a personal level, and then you could have your precious "fun".

If you played on a web based client, the servers would append all your games on the scoreboard with racial and homophobic slurs so everybody would know you're a dirty fun-haver.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Floodkiller posted:

People have been using VPNs to run bots that populate the online servers with awful player ghosts (CeCK, which gives them fast speed and a chaos brand), so it's become a situation of fix it or get rid of it because haven't been able to wall out the griefers as of yet.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that crawl players will go to just to grief other crawl players in a single player game. It's even more amazing when it's not the devs!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think his complaint is that if you get rid of recharging scrolls, then being able to recharge them by finding another equally rare wand is kind of bullshit because it removes your choice from the matter. The fact that your lovely wands all stack in charges is nice, but you weren't going to spend a recharging scroll on them anyway.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sure, but the simple solution is the one that is going to get enacted and "remove ghosts" is much simpler than "fix ghosts in a way that makes the game easier and more flavorful", especially when the Devs don't like flavor or ease either one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To be fair, I was the one who started that conversation by predicting Wujian would remain in trunk for a few versions before being removed. If I recall, PF specifically was responding to a few posts in which people were blaming the devs as if it had already been removed. Of course, it turns out that it likely will be removed after all. But the people jumping right away to slamming their "The devs! :argh:" button were shitposting, and I think it's reasonable to want a break from that, especially since it seems reasonable to assert that the number of those kinds of posts has gradually grown in proportion to good faith discussion in this thread.

People with a good sense of pattern recognition (and pessimists) are always seen as poo poo posting right up until it turns out they're right again, then the cycle repeats for the next thing they see the writing on the wall for.

Maybe the devs do have a plan for WJC that isn't just gutting it and dumping it in a ditch. Maybe they've got a plan for Ghost reform that isn't just cutting ghosts. But probably not. Maybe they'll be able to resist the urge to make sure a new race gets kneecapped before release. But again, not many of us are going to take that wager based on their recent track record.

The dev team operate like that back alley organ doctor in Futurama. "I take lungs now, gills come in next week". They're quick with the axe part of any given reform and then NO TIME TO FIX IT, WE'VE GOT BIG PLANS! *swings axe wildly about the room*

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They could ease some of the system knowledge bar by leaving in options that let you survive more poor decision making. Ultimately, it is a single player game. They cater a lot to the hypothetical autistic man, who can only play 100% optimally, and thus any individual thing being strong to other things is seen as some kind of detriment, because "why would the HAM ever play anything else?!". I think that's most of where the "the devs think this game is too easy!" comes from, because they seem to prefer to nerf strong things down for some hypothetical balance level rather than simply accepting that strong things can be useful in your single player game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Weren't the Tomb changes allegedly part of a larger overall, where removing stair dancing was phase 1, and then phase 2 was never planned out so gently caress it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think the dev responsible ever said it was intended to be part of a larger rework. Now, you might assume it would be a part of a larger rework because its such a lovely change that doesn't address the core issues that made Tomb so miserable. If everyone was resorting to the boring strategy of excessive stairdancing to clear Tomb, that's indicative of a major problem with Tomb itself. The solution there isn't to just remove the stairdancing, but rather to actually address the things that make it so miserable. The repetitive enemies, the unavoidable curses, the insane damage that can only be negated by very specific builds.

Of course you could just ignore all that and make the branch harder without actually making it any more fun. That's always an option. A really dumb one, but that's the one they picked.

Oh. I gave them too much credit. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lawman 0 posted:

can a firestormer still eat tomb alive

Alive? :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Serephina posted:

See, I would never have seen it that way, and I'm sure many players are would agree; I used them to buff the wand I valued most, from invis for lowlvl stabbers to teleport/healwounds for lategame tanks. That feels like they're removing player autonomy and calling it progress. Also rods, but lol.

The funnier part is that it's another section where the removal is to be complemented by changes to come in the future to balance it out. :razz:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crawl .21: Planned for Removal in .22

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Speleothing posted:

What's wrong with trog and oka? They're boring but effective

Presumably the Effective part.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

jerkstoresup posted:

Hellmonk just popped into my game to tell me the crashing should be fixed and a patch pushed tonight. :cheers:

I haven't even played Hellcrawl and he still sounds like the best Crawl dev.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A true king would hide behind all his disposable mooks. That's the point of royalty, you send your dirt farming peasants out to die by the truckload so you can have a slightly fancier hat.

Now if only TRJ actually got a fancier hat based on how many slimes you've killed. :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

tote up a bags posted:

At this point the only theory that makes sense is one of the devs is a spy from a rival roguelike

It is usually safer to apply Hanlon's Razor instead.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its idiotic that the game is changing so much that veteran players aren't enjoying it anymore.

I'm willing to cut the devs slack with some changes but this is straight up someone not understanding what people enjoy about Crawl. Nobody's experience with the game was being ruined by the existence of purple chunks.

You might get beneficial mutations or you might not out of it, so it ruins the experience for the one player they care about : Hypothetical Autistic Man.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arivia posted:

If the entire game is the orb run the orb run is no longer fun

Then at that point, the solution is clearly to remove the orb run. :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically if I was a dev I wouldn't look at a bunch of players hating a change and think "hilarious!". Even if its a change I think the game needs, you should be making an effort to properly explain stuff so those players can still enjoy the change.

This change doesn't have any real explanation and is near-universally hated. That's not something I would find amusing if I wanted people to actually enjoy my game.

Fun is sub-optimal. Only stupid babies have fun, and we sure don't want any stupid babies in our game. This is for professionals.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tollymain posted:

wow.

hey remember that time they removed amulets of rmut saying theyd get around to fixing malmut later?

A rework of malmute sounds dangerously close to an addition to the game. You are on the verge of heresy!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pleasing Fungus usually tried to take the time to explain the reasoning behind changes to us in those situations where very clearly EVERYBODY was unhappy and mystified by an upcoming change. It seemed less like he stopped posting here because of toxicity (which may not have helped, mind you) and more that his explanations had to fall back on "It's part of a larger plan, just trust us!" and then as the versions rolled by and those plans never really got past the removal phase that he stopped showing up.

It's possible PF also got tired of seeing lack of follow-through from the rest of the dev team too, and being stuck as a middleman between two sides just wasn't worth it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

PF went and made a real game and sold it for real money instead of doing free labor for nothing for crawl. also i call him a noob and other toxic things all the time and it's fine

What game was that, out of curiosity?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Holy poo poo, I have that sitting on my wishlist without even having looked at who made it. Good for him.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Floodkiller posted:

Replying to this specifically for specification: I am ignoring all issues related to balance or tedium with any feature reimplementation, unless it is specifically agreed upon by the thread that a feature needs to be balanced in a specific way while being reimplemented. Playtesting and thread feedback can fix that after I've got something out the door. The HAM will not be acknowledged in Gooncrawl unless the thread says it exists (which is also why I am separating myself from design input). This kills the HAM.

Also, does somebody want to start compiling these suggestions?

Truly, you are a king among men. :patriot:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I made it to the end of that, and it seems fair enough. I agree with basically all of it (as a filthy casual player).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That Pharoah still doesn't consider his handicapable undead, he should have installed elevators instead of stairs! :v:

I kid, of course. Look at all those commits in so little time. You're a madman, Floodkiller. A wonderful, amazing madman.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just make treeform a real spell and give trees regen

And call the spell Treegeneration.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't need Floodkiller's help to make myself look like a fool. :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Works on contingency?

No, money down!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Archenteron posted:

Inspired by Gooncrawl, I'm writing down ideas/pseudo-code for various crab-related ideas to attempt to code and then either throw at Floodkiller and/or Hellcrawl

Here's a general poll/survey/sounding-board of my crab race thoughts which I will refine based on popular thought and then do nothing because goonproject attempt work on.

I contributed votes and my one lovely crab pun idea. Go, crab crawl scuttle!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shouldn't we be using the healing power of crystals to power our meditation instead of a generic stone? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

It'd be weird to have a musical instrument not generate noise. If generating noise is fine I like this flavor a lot.

The Hookah of Healing then. It's all perfectly legal, it's medicinal. Optionally surrounds you with random smoke clouds while you heal up.

• Locked thread