Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm moving and have no business playing crawl this week.... Is there a team I could join to try and eek out a win anyway? I don't want anyone to suffer from my relative non-participation.

Join the zero-pressure OgreTeam. I won't mind if you forget to play ogres or don't play at all.

code:
Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Hooplah posted:

Mind if I join up, too? I made a team for myself called Playtime is OGRE, but I don't see much of a point if no one else joins it

I may or may not play ogres

Works for me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Clan: Legend of the Ogrefiend - taqueso (captain), glidergun, hooplah, sajeffrey, worldfamousw
Looks like we have everyone except mrwillsauce. Put this as the first line of your 0.19 RC file.
code:
#TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the lag on bear potato is completely insane. Bring back s-z plz

I switched to CJR because it was so bad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

odiv posted:

Well I'm gonna keep whining.

Started and finished both Lair branches. No Heal Wounds since I last posted.

Just found my first potions of Resistance and Cure Mutation, at XL20, in a shop on Elf:1.

Unfortunately, by making it this far you've proven that those potions aren't needed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Araganzar posted:

edit: ok, I am mad, you can't LRD molten gargoyles. What?
They are molten, thus liquid. I hope you can freeze them to make them solid, then LRD. I don't know if you can, but I would love that it works.

Ogre Heartbreak Worst part is that I didn't quaff that cure mut pot which might have fixed the teleport mutation that lead to my death. I should have just gone to bed.
e: hmm, interesting corruption in the rPois listing of the dump

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

That would be your browser failing to convert the ASCII code for the infinity symbol, since you died while petrified :eng101:

You had a bunch of tools available to survive even without curing teleportitis (Haste, read tele, wand of heal wounds, fan of gales, sack of spiders, etc.). Next time you end up somewhere bad, I would recommend stopping to think about your plan of action to survive (especially on Zot:5, where you should go hog wild on any stocked consumables since there is little else to do at that point).

Yep, I really should have gone to bed a couple hours before that. Man, being petrified really really hurt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ogre Smash

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Decided to try a spriggan assassin and it actually worked out so far. I've never had much luck with stealthy characters. What should I have as a goal right now? My sneakiness seems to be falling off, I haven't been getting too many stab chances lately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Don't think so. It might also be slightly dinged from wearing the troll leather so it's just under 7 pips.

Anyway, after a certain point you have to manufacture your own stab chances. This means either getting Invisibility via evocation or spell, use Confuse/EH (you *never* used them!), or summons for distract stabs. Since you appear to be eschewing the whole stabbing route altogether you can just move into further hybridization with long blade and charms.

You were right, confuse is great. Until monsters get good MR and have 0% chance. What's the way to handle those? Summons?

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/taqueso/taqueso.txt

e: I found a quickblade of distortion in this game, too. I guess I should use it? If I'm going to use a weapon I don't want to unequip, maybe I should change to ash?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I actually don't have access to any of those spells.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is there a way to make the messages area bigger in webtiles? I tried adjusting msg_min_height and msg_max_height but I couldn't get the message area to actually become taller. Some settings made the viewport disappear, so it was doing something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh look, the dungeon floor is 3D!

[save and reload]

Hey, wait, what happened to those areas I had already explored?

Oh I guess that wasn't real...

I've been having trouble with webtiles in other ways lately, too, mostly the tiles in LOS aren't always 'lit'. Saving and reloading always fixes it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It is chrome. I have 16GB RAM.

e: Chrome had been running for 7 days, I'll restart and see if that helps.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 2, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

So the hydras then. Thanks.

The hydras should go down to a few wand blasts if you have evocation skill at 7ish. They are one of the bigger threats from early lair, but if you have some kind of ranged attack it shouldn't be too bad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Got my first 15 rune win the other day. First time doing Pan, Hells, or a Zig. Thanks to the peeps in discord for the advice, especially to go in the zig to clear my malmutations. I had a couple holy-poo poo moments, once in hell at 25hp surrounded and fighting Dispater, and once in the zig facing a bunch of pan lords. Both times I managed to survive by spamming heals to get ~100hp and then going ham and just slicing everyone to ribbons with my axe. The DPS with finesse going was insane. !!!! hits all over.

code:
10305787 taqueso the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Warper on Dec 2, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Dec 5, 2016!

The game lasted 19:33:24 (164279 turns).

taqueso the Conqueror (Formicid Warper)           Turns: 164279, Time: 19:33:25

Health: 249/249    AC: 39    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  37/37      EV: 20    Int: 31    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   11327      SH: 28    Dex: 11    Spells: 1/46 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    b - +9 triple crossbow (velocity)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    o - +6 storm dragon scales "Esmanei" {*Slow rElec rN+ Int+4 SInv}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    y - +2 large shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Reflect  +    C - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    p - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    (no boots)
Stlth  ++........               F - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
                                B - ring "Wyss" {rF+ rN+ Str+6 Int+5}
                                W - ring "Vuoluwn" {Wiz rC+}
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/taqueso/morgue-taqueso-20161205-013444.txt

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

code:
Welcome, taqueso the Octopode Assassin.
Will you prevail where others failed? Will you find the Orb of Zot?
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
Found a large opal ring.
Found a staircase leading out of the dungeon.
A goblin comes into view. It is wielding a dagger.
You see here a large opal ring.
g - a large opal ring
Put on which piece of jewellery? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
g - a +6 ring of protection (left tentacle)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If that doesn't work, maybe there could be a high elf buddy that would follow you around casting buffs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tote up a bags posted:

Why can't we have a lair style postgame where you have a hub and then ~5 randomly selected 'worlds' to dive into?
You could do some dope poo poo like VALHALLA or SPACE or NOT DEMONS
I'll take some of that please.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Carcer posted:

They don't exist. If you want a ziggurat you need to find a figurine at the end of crypt and I think there's another one at the end of crypt. You'll get a "refund" if you finish the ziggurat completely.

How badass do you need to be to finish the entire zig? I've only been in one once, and around lvl14 it got very difficult. I think that level was a pack of pan lords plus retinue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Crawl has been getting better and better since I've been playing (since like .7), I'm inclined to trust the devs will continue to make it better.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ugly John posted:

From a technical perspective, yes. Not everything has been great. Race removals and the wand swap (not the upcoming removal) are two that stick out off the top of my head.

At this point, I probably should just fork the game into my own little private branch and start changing things to put in what I want, but I only play webtiles and not having a way to play anywhere through a browser would be a deal-breaker.

You can run a local webtiles server real easy if you are able to build from source.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

This is once again a change I am happy with, but frustrated that all the cascading consequences for doing so haven't been corrected before committing. Hopefully they get fixed faster than removing rMut has fixed mutations!

If you can code, you could work up some fixes to whatever you think has been left unbalanced. I'm sure they will give your ideas a fair shake, the devs are incredibly responsive and accommodating of beginners. Crawl has been the nicest pull-request experiences I've had.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it possible to play this without a num pad? What's the best setup for movement?

I use arrow keys plus home/end/pgup/pgdn for diagonals. Before I realized that was possible, I used the non-numpad numbers for diagonals (1 = downleft, etc), which isn't too bad once you get some muscle memory going for it, but the home/end keys are arranged in the right shape so they are much better. There are also letter diagonals (and orthogonal moves that I think match vi), but I can never remember those.

e: related to keys, is there a way to allow ctrl-q work in firefox without being intercepted by the browser?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Carcer posted:

I managed to do 15 runes with a FoFi of Oka, and I suck really bad. On the other hand, I was reliant on a HW wand in some really bad moments and probably wouldn't be able replicate my win now its gone.

Similarly, my only 15-rune win was with a Fo of Oka and I had at least two times where I'm sure I would have died without a wand of healing. I guess if I had a huge stack of healing pots it would have been fine too. I stuck with Okawaru because I figured finesse was the closest thing to haste for a Formicid. (which I figured was pretty much a requirement to win 15 runes)

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 21, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Shinino Kage posted:

So.

Rod of Lightning has a ? for its icon in webtiles. (Yes, current version).

It just means there isn't a tile yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Carcer posted:

Apportation is cool and all but what do people actually use it on? I always get it if I can find it but then I mostly never use it.

Mostly random crap that is across some lava or deep water. So not too much. I really should start using it like Speleothing said, to get items from areas I don't want to explore.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

great big cardboard tube posted:

I haven't played this game in years, my only successful character was a mountain dwarf fighter of okwaru who got really lucky with gifts. Thinking of trying it out again but don't want to spend ages researching / trial and erroring what spells work well in addition to how the game itself works right now. Is there anything I should be playing now that MD is gone or does that attitude basically preclude me from this game?

Hill Orc and Minotaur are good replacements for mountain dwarves. Formicid are an interesting melee choice because they can use 2 handed weapons with a shield, but they have the big downside of stasis (no tele, no blinks, no berserk, no haste!). They can dig through walls and floors as an alternate escape mechanism, though. If you want to be primarily a spellcaster but not be a completely glass cannon, gargoyles are pretty tough -- they get innate resists and AC bonus.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit The data stuff made me wanna try DS again. Sanguine armor doesn't seem to have an entry, but it's really drat good. Where is it in the code?
yeah sanguine armour is great

The code crosses over a few modules:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=sanguine

This is the function that decides how much AC you get:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/698f215f77c1ac809f261242d631c42a8c32786f/crawl-ref/source/player.cc#L5935

Looks like 6-12 depending on mut lvl

I think this means it lasts 6-10 turns after you got hurt
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/698f215f77c1ac809f261242d631c42a8c32786f/crawl-ref/source/player.cc#L8567

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

heal wounds is totally relevant and important at that stage of the game because it definitely still heals you a lot more than enemies damage you for per turn in combat

It might not heal you all the way instantly, but it is better than enemies damage you per turn in combat, as I've saved my rear end with it fighting pan lords and pals (while wearing huge armor tho). My last win (formicid) wouldn't have happened without it, and that was with discord help where I feel like we had examined all the options. It seemed like a long shot and I didn't think it would work for the reason you said, but 5-6 shots of healing wand had me back in the fight and it felt awesome.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

New mutation potions are fun, but they sure make a lot of stuff happen for each potion.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It'd be cool if all mutations were positive or double-edged in the long term. There'd be ones which are strictly negative at first but after you earned enough XP you'd master them and learn to benefit somehow. So like deformed body eventually gets you bonus EV or GDR as you learn to move yourself, deteriorating might give you a chance to have negative status effects just fall off you soontaneously, etc.

This would be fun!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LordSloth posted:

Can I manage my second win and form a streak? http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth Or will I fall flat on my face and splat?

HOFi^Nemelex diving into Zot now.

Edit: Ascended! 2-streak win.

Way to go! Now you are doomed to die on dlvl 1 next game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

that is one nice hat

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Hooves should make you faster

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:golfclap:

FR: disguises

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I like the idea of a low encumbrance requirement for dudes that are jumping and spinning all over.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yak King and Yak Queen pair

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I guess I missed it, what is the actual nerf? Loss of slow on the jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sojenus posted:

i'm not sure why people advocate to bring rmut back when the real solution is to remove malmutate

better crab race idea: exactly like a human but with a red crab-person sprite and 100% mutation resistance because crabs are already perfect

It could just replace humans, they are in tolkein after all.

• Locked thread