Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

taqueso posted:

Join the zero-pressure OgreTeam. I won't mind if you forget to play ogres or don't play at all.

code:
Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso

Mind if I join up, too? I made a team for myself called Playtime is OGRE, but I don't see much of a point if no one else joins it

I may or may not play ogres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

taqueso posted:

Works for me.
nice.

code:
Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce
4. Jeffrey
5. hooplah

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ugly John posted:

Hopefully there will be a decent presence in ##gooncrawl this time around - I'll be cursing my 'luck' (*coughbaddecisionscough*) there.

EDIT: Makhlebchat time. Which do you think makes a better base for relying on Minor Destruction until getting Invo 20 as fast as possible - DsFi or DsMo? Mo gives you the ability as soon as you find an altar, but I think the skill distribution on Fi gives you a better chance to actually survive to getting there (which with DS apts isn't necessarily a given).

Fi, definitely. Ds have a really rough time on the first few floors if they don't start with some kind of kit, and you'll want to use at least medium armor and a decent weapon as a makhlebite anyways. Also, Makhleb's piety is super easy to gain, and Ds have amazing invo apts, so the difference between mo and fi for when you get ranged spam online is negligible.

e- actually, if all you care about is what gets you to lesser destruction easiest, I'd recommend trying venom mage. Sting and meph cloud will carry you through 95% of pre-lair threats. Exp inefficiencies aren't much of a worry, as you should be able to get those castable without pumping Cj (which is obviously pretty redundant with makhleb). Air/poison/spc are nice to have later in the game for utility and crowd control.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 4, 2016

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Darox posted:

1500 is way too much gold to hoard. With Gozag you should have more basic potions than regular characters (potion and scroll shops are always a safe bet if your other choices suck) and potion petition isn't so much better than drinking regular potions, so you should generally only use it when you really need to, like when you're completely out of heal wounds or super likely to die next turn. With that in mind and considering potion costs, having ~600g spare is plenty. That gives you 1-2 petitions most of the time. You won't be able to buy the crazy 1000g cure-heal-magic-haste-invis-might-agility potion slurry but those are usually a bad choice anyway. Don't get those unless it's free or you are super desperate.

You want to be pretty proactive about setting up shops, they give you new gear. It's fine to float a bit of gold though since you need extra to actually buy the things in the shop anyway.

Counterpoint- as a Vs you can't heal with regular potions so you might need blow two petitions in a row if you absolutely need healing now
(same applies for mummies)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Is there a reliable way to generate a ton of noise quickly? I want the whole floor to be nearby when I spread the gospel of Ru, and even after using a wand of lightning and shouting a few times there still are always some monsters that don't notice me until after using Apocalypse.

LearnDB says lightning bolt is only a little quieter than shatter, so there you go.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The +12 glaive "Fasoicoi" {pain, Str+4 Int+2}

In a shop in orc for 1600 gold. I'm a TeAE mostly leaning on lightning spire, ice beasts, and lightning bolt.

I got pretty lucky and found 3 demon tridents in lair - draining, flaming, and venom. Also have a vampiric glaive. Should I lean more heavily into summons and start training polearms for that sweet sweet reaching? Should I just pump conj and use ood? I have too many good things going on and I'm not sure which to go with.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hooplah/hooplah.txt

Here's the spells I have access to right now:

Spell recommendations would be cool too - I haven't used most of the newer high level stuff.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I still haven't forgiven them for sludge elves.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okawaru's very first gift to me, a MfTm with 10 UC and no other weapon skills....
the +5 executioner's axe of Dawn (weapon) {chop, Str+6}

Thanks, buddy :yum:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

He's since gifted me a see invis hat, boots of running, some poisoned javelins, and a randart shield with rF+ rC+ rCorr rElec, and I found a book with hydra form, statue form, and dragon form. I think I'm just gonna stick with the UC.

Speaking of which, I've never used shields as UC, but those resists mean I am now. How much does the lack of offhand attacks hurt unarmed Mf?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Be a sbl VSBe? You'll probably be god-gifted a sweet-rear end antimagic quickblade at some point. I mean, then you can't really do the hexes thing, but BiA distracted stabs should help make up the difference

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just finished lair.
Peep that randart ring I just found
code:
hooplah the Gelid (Merfolk Transmuter)             Turns: 25692, Time: 02:20:22

Health: 113/113    AC: 15    Str: 14    XL:     14   Next: 59%
Magic:  21/21      EV: 17    Int: 22    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1159       SH: 10    Dex: 15    Spells: 5/23 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   b - +0 shield "Tioguffe" {rElec rF+ rC+ rCorr}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    +   K - +2 leather armour {rF+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   o - +0 helmet {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   E - +0 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   q - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +....                  W - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    ++........             x - amulet "Paoluy" {Faith rPois rC+}
Regen    0.3/turn               c - ring "Huwyrrurgh" {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+3 Int+3}
MPRegen  0.2/turn               N - +4 ring of protection
I also have a ring of wizardry, but even without it on, blade hands is still only 7% fail rate and I only have 7 shields skill

:jerry:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

What if some skills that are duration-based (buffs like invis or silence) were changed to permanent with a spellcasting malus or mana reservation? Temp buffs you have to keep reapplying are really boring.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The gnoll concept is terribly uninteresting and in their current form I can't see why anyone would want to play one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Is there somewhere I can read about the concept/explanation/justification for what role gnolls are supposed to fill? I can't think of a class where choosing one would be an interesting choice vs. any other race (besides Hu or Dg, I guess, but those are both terminally boring). Statrot is such a complete non-issue 99% of the time, and +stat items so plentiful and impactful.

• Locked thread