Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The QO system needs some improving, the big thing is that qualifying offers should have to be left on the table. If they want to rescind the offer after the player elects for free agency, there shouldn't be a qualifying offer on him anymore. Along the lines of the A/B compensation, maybe there could be two tiers of qualifying offers that will effect first & second round draft picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
What the hell is Trout doing with all these silver slugger awards? He just won his fifth straight. He's gonna run out of people to give them to.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

Bryant only played like 100 games at 3rd and also shouldn't have won the Aaron Award.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

tinstaach posted:

Remember a couple years ago when Bartolo threw something like 35 strikes in a row? That was weird.

I was at that game. poo poo was wild.

The Pussy Boss posted:

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

Did CJ Wilson retire? Is he even a reclamation project? I don't know if he was mentioned even 5 times all of last season during broadcasts. I couldn't even tell you what his injury was. Shoulder? Elbow? I don't know if he had surgery or was rehabbing or what he was up to? Never once was in the dugout.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I assume that the two idiots that voted Trout 5th and 7th on their ballots also write for Tampa Bay?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

All but one first place vote. Name and shame

Whoever voted Murphy voted KB 2nd.

edit: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/799399175741997056

a neat cape posted:

Lol how does someone from a last place team win MVP.

Your 2016/17 NBA MVP, Demarcus Cousins

Walks are important.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 18, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Remember when like the whole Angels farm system was untouchable and the best of the bunch turned out to be like Erick Aybar and Howie Kendrick

Trade all the prospects even if it "glues a mm to one side of the coin" or whatever

Kendrick and Aybar were all star caliber middle infielders for a decade. Not fair that Adenhart died and Wood might as well have. A huge portion of that 2007~ group made it to the majors, Willits, Bourjos, Sean Rodriguez, Mathis, Conger.

I remember an article written about the Angels top 25 prospects from like 2006 and how like 20 of them either turned into major leaguers or were traded for major leaguers, which is a huge rate.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Amount of Angels titles won in that timespan:

(trade all the fuckin prospects flags fly forever)

And Kendrick and Aybar have 2 career ASGs combined and two seasons each over 4 WAR. They were solidly above average but not amazing.

If only the Angels hadn't hoarded all those prospects they were sitting on the last 5 years.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I let spiders live as long as they stay in the basement and by outside doors. Any that break this treaty are killed. I'm trying to breed a race of superspiders that keep all insects, pedes, etc out of my house without bothering me. A couple have figured it out and they are my friends.

Channing Tatum weighed in on this.

Angels traded catcher Jett Bandy to the Brewers for catcher Martin Maldonado and milb pitcher Drew Gagnon. Making some big moves this year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Your Taint posted:

Actually, that's only part of the loving quote. Here's more of the loving quote. I hope you loving enjoy it. loving.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18292641/new-york-yankees-closer-aroldis-chapman-says-chicago-cubs-manager-joe-maddon-misused-playoffs

e: loving

Your Taint posted:

Someone is salty.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

ColdBlooded posted:

The Rockies just signed Alexi Amarista to a major league deal

:lol:

Edit: Apparently there were two other teams also bidding for his services; gotta lock up the guy with the sub .600 career OPS. :bravo:

Alexi Amarista manages to make Jose Altuve look big.

I still remember getting Ernesto Frieri for him. Frieri had a great first year with the Angels and then completely fell apart, doesn't look like he was in MLB last year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
This is also his like 3rd or 4th offseason surgery on his knee/foot that will make him miss either spring training or not be ready for opening day. :thumbsup:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Angels bought out Kole Calhoun's arb years with a 3/26M contract, with a 14M option for the 4th year (what would be his 1st year of free agency). I like Kole so yay.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

Troy Percival - 22.34 (who?)

Every kid on my middle school playground wanted to be Percy :colbert:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
They're stress testing their plumbing, no doubt.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Just keep repeating "Gorgeous Bourjos" to yourself. It'll sink in.

It is no accident that they rhyme.

Also how is Bourjos 30 years old he still looks 20. I remember his 2011 season and thinking he'd be our CF of the future but then he very quickly got replaced after he stunk it up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do the Angels have a prospect in the top 100? Should they draft another college catcher that projects as 1b/DH?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

tadashi posted:

They are no longer the consensus worst system in baseball, so there's that.

Is it just now debatable they're the worst in baseball?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

fast cars loose anus posted:

Nearly four years in prison still seems like a lot for that to be honest

I'll take the picks gladly

I mean I guess you need to think of it more like corporate espionage, potentially involving millions of dollars in player contracts. It isn't the same level of severity as knowing your ex's facebook password that they didn't change and logging in to snoop.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Craptacular! posted:

What am I looking for there?

I thought maybe it was the wrong commish signature, but nope.

Its a Cubs baseball.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

What on earth do they think is going to make the angels win 10 more games lmfao

Probably not having Tim Lincecum start 9 games with an ERA over 9. Jered Weaver was their healthiest starter last year and he had an ERA over 5. Huston Street not being completely dead, Cam Bedrosian having a healthy year, getting lucky on their platoon lottery ticket LF combination for once.

The Angels aren't going to be good this year but I could see them doing better than last year, and 2018 looks promising if their best pitchers successfully return from TJS and Josh Hamilton's contract is off the books.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do you guys remember Homer Bailey and that really dumb contract that the Reds gave him?

In case you're wondering its still really dumb.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Grittybeard posted:

If I ever have a son I'll need to get the manual for raising him so that he gets to be a baseball player until he gets tired of it before going into stock car racing.

I'd imagine step one would be becoming a hell of a lot more of a redneck than I currently am.

The first step is to force him to throw left handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do they have the ability to sync multiple angles at the same time when looking at stuff in NY?

Every time I see a replay its like:

Angle 1: Clearly see when the ball is in the glove, but can't see the runners feet
Angle 2: Clearly see the runner's feet but can't see the ball in the glove

And every time they hem and haw for 3+ minutes acting like they can't make a definite decision because there isn't one view that shows the ball and the runner and the tag or whatever the case may be. Never do they show a split screen of two views side by side (except for tag-up plays to see if the runner leaves the base early) but they surely must have time stamped video to make everything in sync. I don't know why some reviews take so long when you have multiple angles that when put together would get it right very easily.

I think 30sec for the manager and 2minutes for NY is fair for both times. There were some challenges that took like 5 loving minutes last season.

• Locked thread