Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
loving YES.

GONNA FINISH THIS BOTTLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wrong thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

And Theo wept for there were no more lands to conquer.

Gonna go to the Arizona Cardinals.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/794051161561137152

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wonder if my boss will buy a sick day usage tomorrow(well today)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Hey did you hear that Jon Lester doesn't like to throw to bases?

gently caress Joe Buck. Runners got loving thrown the loving hell out mist of the times they tried Lester

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qNFjJn3No

Having spent the last couple hours in reality I'm gonna say the real version is a little better

So happy they won't be able to loving use us as the loving emotional punching bag anymore

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/794195938403192834

This truly is the greatest day in the history of our sport.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ruddiger posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/794057504871346176

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

On the other Hand Hillary and Laura Ricketts together would own pretty hard. While pissing off daddy and her brothers a bunch.

RC Cola posted:

Who's ready for the Bears to go undefeated and win the superbowl?

Actually if the corollary holds the Bears would make the super bowl. and then blow a 30-10 lead via a final a Jay Cutler Pick Six.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JulieDiCaro/status/794188615609962496

Bryant's outchea

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Godammit I am 99% sure I saw one within the last 2 days but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Dexo posted:

Man if the Cubs blow this am I going to deserve all the poo poo I end up talking.

They didn't blow it :smug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SharkTattoos posted:

Dont do it Kev I bought 10!

I might buy one from you then as I seemingly can't get the store to work(and I'm down in Springfield).

Also looking over from my posts from last night made me realize just how dark of a place I got jesus christ.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ARizzo44/status/794283663387201536

:allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/794220135888416768

https://twitter.com/EliGieryna/status/794046235694940160

I love Heyward, so goddamn much. Think I might buy a Jersey gotta support a black man(since Dex is probably gone :smith:)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TMMadman posted:

It's to bad the Heyward and Dex contracts can't be switched.

It's also to bad that the Cubs have a plethora of outfielders right now which means we won't throw a truckload of money at Fowler when he really deserves it.

You go, we go Dex.

Meh. I think Heyward will be fine.

Looking at how this dude approached the season still playing elite defense, still 100% focused, still running the bases well. Still grinding, regardless of how loving inept he was on offense.

I severely doubt next year he's going to come back being unable to hit a goddamn 93 mph fastball.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/johnsheldon99/status/794554265305948160

Ha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hendricks was finally freed from his captivity in the hostage room.. No more will he be forced to pitch and then be forced to go back to that beige room with a giant W flag in it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

P sure Theo will be able to stay here as long as he wants. Ricketts is likely not going to turn into a crazy control freak. And will p much let Theo do whatever he wants.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have a goofy little first game of the season ritual where I tell myself "this is the year." Now wtf do I do

Wait till next year is now a threat rather than a statement of resigned fate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Carter/status/795118279077535744

:stare:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GeneX posted:

I'm still conflicted on whether or not it was worth it

I would take never winning a WS over this. It's not even a conversation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress Jake Arrieta too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Would literally root for the Cardinals for the rest of my life if I could change this outcome.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Atomizer posted:

:stare: $100M...for what, 10 years? :stare: For the guy who blew the save in game 7 of the WS? :stare:

:stare:

:eyepop:

To be fair him blowing that save wasn't on him at all. Like Joe Maddon burned that dude hard. And then he came back out and pitched a good inning when he had absolutely nothing. He had to throw like 10 straight sliders and got people out.

Not to say he's worth 100 million. But I don't hold game 7 against him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Large segments of Cubs fans hate Go Cubs Go. It's just kinda an indoctrination thing. I hate it and I find myself singing it(will never listen to it outside the context of a cubs win or something though.

Chelsea dagger is a fun melody and great. Especially the only part that they play. Wish I liked hockey enough to watch the regular season of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I feel confident in saying that unless they had gotten Miller instead, the Cubs would not have won the WS without Chapman.

Seriously.

While He's likely not worth the high price he's gonna get paid.

Chapman was really really loving good for the Cubs this offseason. His bad outings were both due to the Manager putting him unnecessarily difficult and almost impossible(almost got out of one of them with two straight strikeouts with the bases loaded but then gave up a base hit) situations, and with really high usage for a guy not used to it.

Chapman was criminally underrated by Cubs fans this year. I mean gently caress him as a person but yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

just boys being boys imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like Seriously. Championships are precious. If you have a chance to win one and you have a glaring weakness at a position or role you burn those prospects to get the pieces you need. The infield core of this team is set for a while.

The Cubs have infielders out the loving wazoo. Like if there is one thing I trust Theo, Jed, and Jason to do is find loving infielders. They put this one together(sans Baez anyway, and they kept him and developed him)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Poque posted:

only cub fans will second guess moves that won them their first title in 108 years

Only insane ones tbh.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I never said I'd trade the World Series to have Torres back. You're being deliberately obtuse.

I said I think we could have won the Series AND kept Torres. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Nice try, though. Try to keep up.

Yes I too can say the Cubs would have won with *insert better reliever here*. I'll go one step further. The Cubs would have won without a different reliever if they had just sprinkled magic pixie dust on Strop and he turned into Miller

No freaking team was going to deal their top flight reliever/closer, who would be notably better than Rondon(who was actually decent at the time of the trade), without Scwarbs or Torres being included in the deal.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChaosPath posted:

If your goal is to win 3-4 coin tosses in a row, your plan to achieve that goal should be centered around making it to the coin toss round as many times as possible, not gluing an extra milligram to one side of the coin for one season

I agree. Which is what the Cubs have done.

Their entire young infield is under control for the foreseeable future.

Torres wouldn't have helped them make it to the coin flip round until at least like 2019 or 2020.

Chapman gave them that extra milligram which weighted the coin just enough to come up Cubs in each of the series they were in.

Like I said, I trust Theo to find other Infield and outfield prospects. He, and his GM and head of scouting have shown me that they are extremely competent at finding high quality talent and converting them to talented ball players.

Losing Torres sucked, but he was possition blocked anyway. And Addison Russell is still young still improving and is still really loving good. Ditto with Baez.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I also have faith in Theo to fleece some other team at some point to make up for the "L"(I mean they just won a loving world series jesus christ) they had to take on this trade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like Jesus christ Cubs fans. Like I'm as cynical as someone can be. But holy loving poo poo they just won a World Series.

Potential is great. and if we didn't have like all of the shortstops and infielders already I might actually somewhat care. But I don't know how the gently caress you could watch these playoffs the Cubs just survived through and think Chapman wasn't worth every ounce of potential they gave up for him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Also, the Cubs should have totally kept Rizzo on the bench for World Series after his shameful display in the NLDS/NLCS.

Move David Ross there imo.

This offseason is gonna be hilarious. Because Free Agency is so goddamn bad that Teams with glaring needs are gonna make hella dumb trades.

I can't wait to see what the Sox end up pulling for Sale and Quintana(assuming they do IMO the right thing and trade both of those dudes for two teams entire farm system)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

We have reached the point in the offseason that Yankees fans are consoling Cubs fans that the stud prospect they traded for probably won't be that great, and hey at least you can celebrate this world series. It only took 3 weeks.

2016, yall.

Is probably the worst year in my entire 28 years on this earth.

And the loving Cubs won the world series.

gently caress 2016.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Future Hall of Famer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Boy are the white sox dumb as poo poo

Like I get not wanting to trade with the Cubs. But jesus christ do you not literally tell them that. The Cubs are one of the few teams in MLB who's farm system and MLB squad has the resources to offer for a realistic shot at Sale.

Even if you know you won't trade him to them, you should at least keep them around as leverage to the other NL teams.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Poque posted:

would a team of chapmans or a team of gleyber torreses get more world series titles?

Torresses.

Team of Chapman's couldn't survive the 30 game domestic violence suspensions.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Am I crazy for being 100% willing to give up Baez and those dudes for Sale with no hesitation

I feel like it shouldn't be that easy to give Baez up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Thoughts from people less dumb than me. Seems pretty reasonable.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2016

• Locked thread