Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found this while going through some newspaper archives.

"Gold Dust Team" Is Made Up Of Highest Paid Stars

February 1950

NEW YORK (AP) - It would cost $545,000 to field baseball's "gold dust" team, composed of the nine highest-priced stars on the diamond today.

An outfield of Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Ralph Kiner alone would draw more than some entire major league teams will receive this year. The estimated figure - $290,000 - is unparalleled for any three men in the sport.

The lineup for these diamond nuggets, with approximate salaries, would be:

1B Tommy Hanrich, Yankees, $45,000
2B Jackie Robinson, Dodgers, $35,000
3B George Kell, Tigers, $35,000
SS Lou Boudreau, Indians, $65,000
OF Ted Williams, Red Sox, $125,000
OF Joe DiMaggio, Yankees, $100,000
OF Ralph Kiner, Pirates, $65,000
C Birdie Tebbetts, Red Sox $25,000
P Hal Newhouser, Tigers, $50,000

Totals $545,000

Williams, who signed yesterday, is the highest salaried player in history. At the reported figure, the tall sluggers will receive $812 every time he pulls on his bright red and white Boston uniform this season.

DiMaggio's $100,000 salary is the second such pact the great outfielder has signed in two years.

But what if DiMaggio's celebrated heel kicks up or another flychaser comes down with some other ailment? Stan Musial, the St. Louis Cardinals' one-man gang would be a logical replacement. Stan's salary is $50,000.

Bob Feller ($45,000), Cleveland's once mighty righthander, could supplement lefty Newhouser on the mound. The relief pitcher would be the Yanks' Joe Page. Fireman Joe hasn't signed as yet but a $35,000 lure would send the durable lefthander to the bullpen.

Lou Boudreau would be a luxurious economy. The 32-year-old Clevelander could double as manager, he's directed the Indians since 1942.

A fine team, but it would take a working agreement with Fort Knox to meet its payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

No love for Naps.

I refuse to consider any of these.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Actually, I figured it out. Tom Glavine just sucked and couldn't throw strikes, but Javy Lopez was the greatest pitch framer of all time. But nobody knew about pitch framing back then or Lopez would be in the Hall instead of Glavine. Chalk up another win for advanced stats.

Oddly, Maddux tended to use anyone else but Lopez as his personal catcher.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

seiferguy posted:

I don't get this trade. Mallex Smith looks like more of the same kind of outfielder we've been acquiring, and Shae Simmons, while looks to be like a good RP given his minors numbers and a decent cup of coffee showing, doesn't exactly solve our problem of having a low floor with starting pitching.

edit: I hate prospect hugging, but losing Gohara hurts, cause he was seriously looking to be a dang good SP candidate. TINSTAAP I guess.

Simmons' arm is going to fall off.

He's really good when he's healthy.

He's just never healthy.

I'm gonna miss Mallex, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta has Kris Medlen back on a minor league deal.

For that brief moment in time, he was really, really good.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

2 teams paying doesn't seem super uncommon. I want to know if there's guys out there being paid by 3+ teams, or what's the most teams ever paying a dudes salary.

Mike Hampton?

e: Three teams were paying Hampton's contract, but it doesn't look like they were all doing it at once.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ice To Meet You posted:

Four days until nothing happens for three weeks?

Well we will hear about everyone who is The Most Fit They Have Ever Been which will be predicted to really make an impact this season.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found this at the Goodwill today.

Discogs is listing a different version of the album (gatefold, two discs, different selections) so apparently the Army was giving Drysdale good beer money.

Apparently whatever station got this copy liked the stories, as the mailing card is not included.

I haven't put it on my record player yet, but I bet the stories are pretty decent, though quite sanitized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What's the closest MLB has ever had to a tragedy that might require a disaster draft?

The spring training Cleveland Indians' boating accident killed Tim Crews and Steve Olin and severely injured Bobby Ojeda is the worst I can immediately remember.

• Locked thread