Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A Handy User Guide to Post Curse Life is a pro-read. I especially enjoyed the shade thrown Dan Shaughnessy's way and the conclusion.

quote:

If ever Theo Epstein finds himself in organizational power struggle …
take Theo’s side, no matter what. If you’re going to trust Red Sox fans on anything, my Chicago friends, trust ‘em on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Poque posted:

Betts/Trout/Altuve for AL MVP

Yay Mookie :toot:
Yay Porcello :toot:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Popete posted:

Best shape of his life has already started. It's officially the off season.

Slimmed-down Panda: Red Sox say Pablo Sandoval has lost weight

There were some pictures of Sandoval floating around a couple weeks ago with, uh, Neymar maybe, and yeah he looked way thinner.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pancakes posted:

Anyone have a handy resource to show outspoken liberals among MLB? I assume it must be a small list.

Some of the Red Sox owners are big money backers of the Democratic Party. I seem to recall Theo, Tom Warner and maybe John Henry made appearances at Kerry rallies after the 04 World Series

Ortiz lit into Trump earlier this year for badmouthing immigrants.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/802296808236077056

Lol

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Considering how badly Shaw cratered in the second half, and unready Moncada looked in his cup of coffee, Sandoval might be the Red Sox's best option at 3B next season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

His arm makes RF a better place for him, though he can certainly play left in the sense that literally any baseball player can probably play left field.

Counterpoint: Hanley Ramirez

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tadashi posted:

Thornburg is heading to Boston in what looks like a pretty good deal for a reliever of his caliber, considering 3 more years of team control, especially in this absurd reliever market.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-sox-agree-to-trade-with-brewers-relief-pitching-likely-headed-to-boston.html

Assuming Thornberg's elbow holds together (he had PRP done on it in 2014 apparently?) I think that's a great trade for the Red Sox. Shaw's bat was super streaky, and the two minor leaguers have potential, but they're not Devers, Kopech, or Moncada level. Thornberg, Smith, Kimbrel is pretty good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I always liked Shaw because guys who come out of nowhere and mash are super fun. Too bad he regressed hard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Trade Benintendi and JBJ and I riot. I figure it'd be more Ed Rodriguez, Kopech, Devers, plus filler.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If nothing else than for the sake of third base depth, I hope Devers isn't in the trade. Alex Speier is speculating Swihart might also be involved

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

^^
Kopech is a AA pitcher who throws harder than Chapman, Moncada is crazy talented, but couldn't hit a curveball to save his life in a very small cup of coffee last season, probably needs a season in AAA for seasoning.

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/806203317487538179

Please not Devers, I'd like to have one third base prospect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ihatepants posted:

Bob Nightengale: The White Sox will also acquire Basabe and V. Diaz from Red Sox.

I am okay with this. Because they are prospects I don't really know anything about :downs:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

Moncada is the #1 overall prospect. .294/ .407/ .511 in the minors last year. The Red Sox spent $63 million to sign him. He is a huge get for the White Sox.

30% K rate in AA. It stings to lose Moncada and Kopech because they've got all the physical gifts in the world, but they still have Devers (who might be better than Moncada) and Groome and it's not like trading Betts and Benintendi -- the White Sox asking price in July.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dombrowski likes to make moves in bunches
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/806272016919777286

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Intruder posted:

Rule V results per MLB Trade Rumors

26. Red Sox (39) – IF Josh Rutledge, Rockies
27. Indians (38) – LHP Hoby Milner, Indians
28. Nationals (38) – No selection
29. Rangers (39) – LHP Mike Hauschild, Astros
30. Cubs (35) – No selection

Rutledge comes home.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Treat Koji well Chicago, he is a cool dude.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sydin posted:

If the situation in game 6 had been reversed: Cubs up 3-2 in the series but the Indians winning 7-2 in the 7th at Wrigley with nine outs that still needed recording, do you think Francona would have hesitated for a heartbeat to put in Miller?

Francona had Keith Foulke throw 2.2 innings in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS down 3-0, and then 1.1 innings the next night, both times coming in when the Red Sox didn't even have a lead. Playoff Tito gives no fucks. Win the game tonight and worry about tomorrow when it happens. (also, :rip: Keith Foulke's career, it died for my baseball sins)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

is he still good or did he fall off a cliff

He was terrible in the first half of the season. Got moved into the bullpen, and was decent for the last two months of the season. But trusting him to be anything is a fool's errand.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually he should be traded to an AL team where he can just hit, as is proper and intended.

Swihart for Schwarber, who says no?

Other than both teams that is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hell, I'm still a bit irate/baffled at Francona for putting Pedro in during Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You know, in all the years he pitched for Boston, I cannot remember one instance where it was ever mentioned that he could not throw to first base.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So glad Ken Tremendous came back to twitter.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tinstaach posted:

And that's...bad??

Strikeouts are fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What's the closest MLB has ever had to a tragedy that might require a disaster draft?

The Angels team bus crashed on the New Jersey Turnpike in 1992. Injured 12 members of the organization including four players and Rod Carew.

• Locked thread