Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

That's not pizza though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There was thin crust too

Oh, okay then, cool, objection retracted.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Gary Sanchez is going to put up a .750 OPS next year and strike out 175 times.

Going by Fangraphs, there were 24 catchers last season who got 300 or more plate appearances. 10 of them managed a .750 OPS or better. So... yeah, I'll take an average-hitting catcher with a cannon arm like Sanchez's any day of the week.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Tokyo fluff morning news show "Zip" had a Otani talk this on this morning. They were asking the local Hokkaido fans what they thought if Otani were to go to the MLB. It was very scientific they asked ten 20 something attractive girls 3 Questions.

1- Should he go to the MLB? 70% said yes

2- What position should He play? Most said Pitching, 2 said both and 2 said outfield.

3- What message would you give him? The Girl who they highlighted for this question said he should "Gambate" (頑張って)in the MLB. Meaning try your best, or a cheer for success.

V: :getin:

He and his team have until Feb 1 to inform the commissioner of his intent to be posted. And He would make crazy money in this market. Right?

also this morning show is cheese cake as hell look at their reporters

Well, there's a problem with posting Otani. He's 22, and due to the combination of the posting system and the international signing rules, any team that wanted to sign him could only sign him to a minor league deal - and any signing bonus a team wanted to give him would count against their bonus pool. You can't sign an international player to an MLB contract if they're under 23. And since posting, afaik, only works in the offseason, there's literally no reason for him to come to MLB during this offseason - if he waits until next offseason and doesn't get injured/poo poo the bed next season, he'll be in line for a big, big contract.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Pancakes posted:

Marvin Miller and Curt Flood will never make the real MLB Hall of Fame and this makes me unreasonably angry, considering all the better things I could care about.

Miller said, before he died, that he didn't want to be in the HoF, so I'm fine with his wishes being honored. I don't know if Flood said anything about it, but he deserves to be in on merit.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

tadashi posted:

Please make this happen, Mark. Just need to find a way for them to afford to trade for Stanton, too.

I mean, they have Nolan Arenado, who could basically be traded for anyone.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

CarGo deal is 1/$11.5m. A bit higher than I was hoping but not absurdly so. I was thinking more like $9.5-10m. Meh. I'm happy with the signing, he was a good fit last year.

will_colorado posted:

not the real CarGo :mad:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You mean GoGo silly!

This is why we need to start giving baseball players actual nicknames again. End the tyranny of the "CarGos" and "A-Rods" of the world, and give us more Millville Meteors!

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Inspector_666 posted:

I think it's a defensible contract from a years/money standpoint.

Money, sure, but years?

2011's top 10 relievers, by fWAR:
1. Craig Kimbrel (3.2 fWAR in 2011): 1.2 in 2016, worst of his career.
2. Jonathan Papelbon (3.0): 0.3
3. Sean Marshall: Hasn't pitched since 2014.
4. David Robertson (2.6): 1.0
5. Mariano Rivera: Hasn't pitched since 2013.
6. John Axford (1.9): 0.2
7. Mike Adams: Hasn't pitched since 2014.
8. Joel Hanrahan: Hasn't pitched since 2013.
9. Ryan Madson (1.7): 0.3
10. Greg Holland: Hasn't pitched since 2015.

Relievers break. It's what they do. If Chapman is a Rivera-level exception to the rule I'll be ecstatic and it'll be a great contract. But somehow, I don't think that's likely.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm less negative on the contract overall than Mike is, but yeah, he's dead-on with the off-field stuff.

In general Mike is usually right about stuff.

I like Mike a lot. Also, finding out that the deal has an opt-out after year 3 tempers my dislike of it a fair bit.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

tadashi posted:

Their infield is kind of a mess other than Bird and Sanchez

I'm a pretty big believer in Didi Gregorius. He put up a 97 OPS+ last season, which is drat good for a shortstop and his defense is good enough that he doesn't need to keep hitting that well to be an ML-average shortstop.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
What the actual gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
N: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18676664/derek-jeter-wife-hannah-jeter-announce-couple-expecting-first-child

quote:

The Captain will soon go by a new nickname: Dad.

Derek Jeter and his wife Hannah announced Monday that they are expecting their first child.

Hannah Jeter, in a column published on her husband's The Players' Tribune website, wrote that she is pregnant with a baby girl.

V: I can't even imagine the kind of gift basket you'd get for carrying a child.

• Locked thread