Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Watch out world the Astros have claimed Nori Aoki off waivers

Offseason: handled

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Aoki is the best! Don't talk mean about my beautiful Aoki!

Also:

2016 Aoki .283/.349/.388
2016 Astros LF .227/.283/.366
2016 Astros CF .210/.270/.355
2016 Astros DH .218/.299/.378

BRING ON MR AOKI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mentholmoose posted:

I hope the Phils sign Greg Holland, Carlos Gomez, Luis Valbuena, and a couple starting pitchers. Andrew Cashner, maybe?

The Phillies are probably not going to have an action-packed offseason. Though they did already acquire Pat Neshek, which I guess is kind of cool.

No Valbuena is coming back to play first base :(

(He's most likely gone)

e: I could maybe see him coming back by virtue of the fact that he's the only good left handed hitter on the team currently

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 5, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist? I don't think the Yankees will sign anyone of note, but there's a nonzero chance they sign EE to fill out DH and one of Chapman/Jansen to close. Any other moves will probably be trades or something

Definitely hoping the prioritize hitting. Maybe Wieters, Encarnacion, maybe Fowler

Hoping they don't break the bank for Desmond

Lourdes Gurriel :getin:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 6, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My current ideal is the Astros sign Fowler and Encarnacion and bring back Valbuena

I'm sure they will do zero of these things

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd like Fowler back and I'd even pro-rate him $17m a year for when he actually plays and isn't hurt so $11ish a year sounds about right

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Anyone doing the FA guessing game this year? I'm itching to be just, like, completely and totally wrong about everything again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't see Altuve winning, as cool as that would be

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve MVP please

Not going to happen I know

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Best shape of his life has already started. It's officially the off season.

Slimmed-down Panda: Red Sox say Pablo Sandoval has lost weight

It almost seems like it'd be more effort for him to keep it on than to lose it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros didn't extend QOs to any of their free agents (Rasmus, Valbuena, Castro, Fister)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Realtalk I would have accepted this for an Astros championship

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve gets another silver slugger award :toot: His third

You could've made a legit case for Cano probably

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

Lourdes Gurriel, Jr., is a Blue Jay. Cool, I guess.

Damnit

Now the Astros are stuck with the lovely Gurriel for no reason

e: Just 7/22 for Lourdes? WTF Luhnow you couldn't beat that?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the consensus was that Yulieski was actually the better player, but his age limited his ceiling.

I kind of wanted the Yankees to get him but I'm not too broken up about this, he's not Yoan Moncada 2.0 or anything.

My understanding was that Yulieski was more the known quantity but with his age he is probably on the downslope already, while Lourdes has a much higher ceiling that he's yet to reach so he's more of a risk

Also the chatter was that the Astros signed Yuli in part to attract Lourdes to the team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

Jays are also apparently interested in Josh Reddick once Bautista turns down their QO. He was on my wishlist... I like him and a few more lefties would do them good.

I read the Astros are interested in Reddick as well. It makes sense since there are like one or two lefties on the team and one switch hitter. Same reason they're interested in Beltran (ugh), McCann (ugh) and apparently Brett Gardner?

I assume Preston Tucker will get another shot so he and Tony Kemp would be the only lefties with Marwin Gonzalez the only switch hitter. Unless I'm forgetting someone

Or they could bring Valbuena back to play 1B

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 11, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If only they had given Edwin the 3/33 instead? :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

I had a dream last night that I ran into Bryce Harper and we discussed hitting mechanics.

Is it baseball time yet?

I had a dream where I gave Carlos Correa my coke and he said hey kid and threw me his fedora

After that, the American people elected Trump so I must have eaten something weird before going to bed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

Apparently the Astros are hot for him, which at first I was pretty eh on but then I remembered how well the catchers/DH/1B hit this year and come on down McCann!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

All I want for hot stove season-mas is a LF, DH or 1B who can OPS over 700

So yeah I'd take a catcher OPSing 750

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Hunter you're such a goddamned weirdo I wouldn't doubt it was a wand

There is nothing weird or wrong about Hunter Pence cosplaying to go see Fantastic Beasts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jon Hamm's big dumb smug face makes me mad every time I see it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros going cheap again, what a shock

I'm sure Morton and his career 4.1 FIP and 1.44 WHIP is just what this team needs to put it over the top

e:

quote:

This Fangraphs article identified Morton in April 2016 as having the best curveball spin rate in baseball. Curveball spin rate was an important factor in picking up Collin McHugh.

The article in question:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-phillies-are-curveballing-their-way-into-the-future/

And yes, the same factor that brought in the wildly successful Collin McHugh, perfect

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The one thing I can see for Morton is that he has such a high ground ball rate and the Astros infield is filled with good defenders who shift a lot, way more than any other team IIRC

Of course that doesn't always work, last year in the playoffs the Royals were more than happy to hit into the holes in the shift

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gonz posted:

So it turns out that one of the Tampa Bay voters went to fewer than 10 baseball games this entire season.

I have this magic box that lets me watch baseball without attending the game :v:

tadashi posted:

This, but the AP guy from Tampa voted Tanaka over Verlander in spite of less wins for Tanaka (but a better Win%) which just seems like a gently caress Justin Verlander vote. The MLB.com writer voted for Sanchez with his final vote, rather than Happ, because ~ERA~ even though Happ pitched 30 less innings than Verlander.

It's difficult to swallow how arbitrarily people fill out the ballots. It's like they have a different set of standards for each spot.

I feel like this is in part AL East solidarity except wait wtf since when is division solidarity a thing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are actually doing something? I can't believe it

Altuve :(

Not super high on getting Reddick but it's probably going to be their biggest splash of the offseason

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 18, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reddick/Marisnick/Springer is going to be one hell of a defensive outfield

Or maybe Aoki/Reddick/Springer

e: Looking at his RHP/LHP splits, ouch. Guess he'll be a platoon guy

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 18, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They taste good

It actually wasn't that bad, I posted thinking the worst was yet to come but I was good after that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros have outrighted Jon Singleton

Their blackmail on him backfired

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a ton of couches between 18-24, although looking back, we probably shouldn't have been sitting on any of them for hygienic reasons.

I have young children so my couches never seem to last long

What is it with kids and jumping on couches when there's a trampoline?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

My avatar is Teddy!

It seems someone can't tell black men apart!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It was just a dumb joke but for realsies RBs aren't allowed to have single digit numbers IIRC

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Prospect hugging is the dumbest thing, but made infinitely moreso when the trade your team made had a tangible impact on winning the championship

I say this as someone who prospect hugs like loving crazy

I remember how massive the return in the Hunter Pence traded appeared, and not a single one of those guys is any good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also "We could still have won without Chapman" isn't a very good counter to "We did win with Chapman." The series was as close as it could be and went into extras in game freaking 7, and if you want to blame Chapman for it going into extras fine, but he probably would have pitched better if Maddon hadn't decided to use him for 4 outs in game 6 for some crazy reason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The entire Cubs infield is under long term control with Happ breathing down their necks. Even if the Cubs hadn't won the series (still feels weird to type that) it's not like it's a flawed thought process. If you have holes in the roster that's what prospects are for, one way or another and if the decision was Schwarber or 19 year old A Ball guy you're generally going to give up the asset that hasn't shown the ability to play in the majors. By all accounts Cashman wasn't so much as negotiating but giving his price list and there wasn't anything else of that caliber for sale. From the sounds of it the Cubs had known for 4-5 days already that Rondon was hurting so something needed to be done.

I can understand second guessing the trade at the time (which to his credit he did). I can understand second guessing the trade if you lose the WS. I can understand second guessing it if the Cubs win through utter blowout and clearly don't need Chapman. But we're talking a razor thin series where the Cubs were on the verge of elimination and Chapman played a huge role in staving that off. The Cubs won the WS and Chapman contributed a lot to it. Saying "Well someone else could probably have done the same thing" is just so mind boggling to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would sell the Astros entire farm for nothing but rentals and watch the team go back into the basement for a decade if it meant a single WS win and also that Donald Trump had lost

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

I will never understand how anyone could prefer their team winning one incredibly specific configuration of 11-12 games over many years of watching them win 80s to 90s of games, but I actually like baseball so

Someone please tell me what flags do

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A World Series win is a World Series win, but Torres could be anything! He could even help you win a World Series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I know the Cubs reached the very pinnacle of the sport, but have you considered that Torres might be really good in 2019 or 2020?

• Locked thread