Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently this matchup was set in stone two years ago:

https://twitter.com/RaysFanGio/status/529685338894372864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

We probably just watched the greatest baseball game in history
Twins-Braves in 1991 was probably better just because of the sheer nerves caused by the game going scoreless into extra and Jack Morris pitching a 10-inning shutout in Game Seven of the loving World Series.

Also the Pirates' World Series winner (1961?) that ended in a loving walk-off dong in Game Seven.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Everyone forgets the White Sox.
poo poo even ESPN and MLB-N forgot about the White Sox - they both said at one point during the playoffs that Chicago hadn't seen a World Series game since 1946.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

And Theo wept for there were no more lands to conquer.
He's going to switch sports and draft a Super Bowl winner for the Minnesota Vikings for his greatest trick

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I was just about to post that. Very nice :golfclap:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Well, I think it's still something worth assessing if that's the case. Baseball is huge among baby boomers, but younger generations still aren't with it. I still think it's gonna take some time before teams start adjusting to shifts.

Speaking of new rules, Joe Torre is considering a new extra innings rule that will be implemented in the low minors: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html (It's placing a runner on 1st base starting in extra innings).
If they're worried that much about extra innings lengthening games, limit regular season ones to 12 and allow for ties. Save time, save pitchers' arms in the process.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

"I may be 34 but I'm 26 biologically and just spent a month eating nothing but guac."

:lol:

On a related note: he also spent a month on the toilet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Ties would be the #1 thing I don't want them to do.

When the alternative is horseshit gimmicks like starting the inning with runners on base, I'll take ties.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Home run derby after the 9th inning obviously.
Ideally yes. And if any of you argues that a Home Run Derby is a gimmick I'll fight you irl

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Poque posted:

if Javy Baez 15th inning grand slams are wrong then I don't want to be right
I understand, but in a situation where Torre et al are worried about game length, that would be far and away the easiest solution. An occasional tie wouldn't kill baseball. IIRC in Japan the rules used to be that a game was limited to four hours or 12/13 innings, and if your two teams of scrubs couldn't find a winner in that amount of time then too loving bad you get a tie.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

elentar posted:

$1.4 billion of that is the home run fish sculpture

Worth every penny imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

The Marlins are just a really weird organization.

Like from the start, everything about them - leadership decisions, incredible successes over the years and equally incredible failing seasons.

I do not understand the Marlins. Every year, I have no idea if they're going to win the WS or live in the dumpster.
And let's not forget that absolute fuckery that led to Loria becoming the Marlins owner. And also lets' not forget that the man who owned the Marlins before him went on to sell the Dolphins in 2008/09 or so because he literally thought that Barack Obama was literally going to use the Oval Office to literally tax him out of all of his money so he figured he'd better sell before OMG NEGRO COMMANISM

• Locked thread